TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG Driver...Deal too good to pass up?

GambyGolfGuy

So I'm seeing the PXG 0811 Gen 2 Driver available on their site for $295 (marked down from $595) until June 1st.  I'm anxious to purchase a new driver and planned on testing out a different models (Ping, Cobra, etc., in the sub $400 price range) and getting fitted at my local range once it opens back up.  But here's my thought at the moment:

If I go and get the fitting for the PXG and that is then included in the purchase price at $295 am I fool to be looking elsewhere.  This seems like a spectacular deal for their most current driver and their fitting process on top of that.  My questions for the forum are:

• PXG owners out there, how happy are you with the 0811?  Was the fitting experience good? 
  • Are there better clubs on the market at this $300 range when including a fitting cost on top of that?  I know lots of places don't include this in the purchase price.
  • Driver:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 9 degree / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 Stiff
  • 3 Wood:callaway-small:  X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite 
  • 5 Wood:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite
  • 3 Hybrid:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 80g Mid/Mid Torque Graphite
  • 4-PW,AW:taylormade-small: RocketBladez / Taylormade RocketFuel Steel
  • LW:vokey-small: BV 60-04 
  • Putter:1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact Series No. 3
  • Ball:  :Snell:MTB-X Optic Yellow

I am in the same boat. I'm also a lefty so the sale is even better. I'm going with a 2 wood though. The price is great, plus the custom fitting you can't go wrong. The shafts were a selling point as well. They use the true shaft not a "made for". 

I went through a fitting at PxG last year for the Gen 2 driver.  It was neck and neck with the G410+ I Had.   So I definitely didn't see it being worth the $595 for basically the same numbers

But for $295 and if you're in the market for a new driver then it's absoultely a good deal.

This is litteraly one of those times where people who say I'll wait 6 months to a year and get it for 1/2 price are actually right 😁

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The fitting aspect helps. I don’t think there is really that big of a difference in quality among the OEM’s. It’s more of a matter of what fits you best. 

I had the 0811X Gen 1 and it produced too much spin for me, even with my 9 turned down to 7.5*.  I’ve heard/read the Gen 2 X model was much better for those that need a lower spin head, but I went with the F9 for $250 this year so I can’t speak on the current PXG lineup. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I loved the x gen2.  I gamed it all last year and it was a low spin bomber.  I started the year with an accra tz6 and ended with my old faithful tour ad bb.

feeling wise, it is muted and had a nice thud.  For me, probably the best sounding and feeling driver I have hit.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

On 5/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, GambyGolfGuy said:

So I'm seeing the PXG 0811 Gen 2 Driver available on their site for $295 (marked down from $595) until June 1st.  I'm anxious to purchase a new driver and planned on testing out a different models (Ping, Cobra, etc., in the sub $400 price range) and getting fitted at my local range once it opens back up.  But here's my thought at the moment:

If I go and get the fitting for the PXG and that is then included in the purchase price at $295 am I fool to be looking elsewhere.  This seems like a spectacular deal for their most current driver and their fitting process on top of that.  My questions for the forum are:

• PXG owners out there, how happy are you with the 0811?  Was the fitting experience good? 
  • Are there better clubs on the market at this $300 range when including a fitting cost on top of that?  I know lots of places don't include this in the purchase price.

I have the Gen 1 0811X, and I got it for the hero’s price, so much like the deal that is in place now. I did the online fitting, so I cannot speak to the in person fitting, but I hear it’s top notch. The driver is as good as anything out there, and pretty forgiving, so better may be splitting hairs.  I get comments all the time about the sound, and I get really good distance from it. The head cover is really soft high quality leather. I do not regret my purchase at all. I hope this helps. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I just purchased a used Gen 2 0811x head to try to curb my constant thinking about the Proto X. This was the #1 option when I went through the TrueGolfFit last year but never thought I would drop the coin without being able to try it. With this deal for everybody until the end of May, it made finding a head only at a similar price as other oems more manageable. I actually sold my TS2 with only one round played with the Gen 2 on the way. Figured if the Gen 2 doesn’t work I can use the money from the ts2 and the resale of the Gen 2 to offset the cost of the Proto X. It is cool to see companies doing this type of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

this is some great feedback.  unfortunately at this time it looks like the pxg fitting location near me isn't doing any fittings in person.  i just don't feel comfortable doing it through a questionnaire. 

fittings are really tough to find/schedule right now in nj.  my driver search is honing in on 3 clubs: the cobra king f9 speedback, pxg 0811 gen2, and ping g410 plus.  With the cobra prices creeping down to the low $200s online I'm very tempted to just pull the trigger on it.  seen and heard nothing but raves.

• Driver:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 9 degree / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 Stiff
  • 3 Wood:callaway-small:  X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite 
  • 5 Wood:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite
  • 3 Hybrid:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 80g Mid/Mid Torque Graphite
  • 4-PW,AW:taylormade-small: RocketBladez / Taylormade RocketFuel Steel
  • LW:vokey-small: BV 60-04 
  • Putter:1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact Series No. 3
  • Ball:  :Snell:MTB-X Optic Yellow

this is some great feedback.  unfortunately at this time it looks like the pxg fitting location near me isn't doing any fittings in person.  i just don't feel comfortable doing it through a questionnaire. 
fittings are really tough to find/schedule right now in nj.  my driver search is honing in on 3 clubs: the cobra king f9 speedback, pxg 0811 gen2, and ping g410 plus.  With the cobra prices creeping down to the low $200s online I'm very tempted to just pull the trigger on it.  seen and heard nothing but raves.

If I am not mistaken, PXG will do the fitting later when everything opens back up if you order the Gen 2 through them. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere.

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

I didn't get the best ball speed or distance numbers when I tried the Gen 2 XF. But, it was silly accurate and consistent. I did a fitting at club champion, started hitting 10 shots with about 7 different clubs. After hitting  the PXG the fitter was like "that isn't the one for you, ball speed is down". I looked at the chart and I was like, "I don't care about 5 yards, look at the dispersion, all 10 shots within 7 yards of each other." 

Best "feeling" driver I hit that day. And most accurate, but it wasn't that big of difference over my G400 Max to warrant the hit to the bank account. But at this price... 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

4 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

If I am not mistaken, PXG will do the fitting later when everything opens back up if you order the Gen 2 through them. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere.

This is correct. Before the pricing was extended I ordered one (2 wood actually). I emailed the local guys and they put the order on hold to maintain the price. I just did in person fitting today and they are changing the specs and releasing the order. They also do what they call a spec check so if you can get the club, and get it dialed in when things open back up.

I did a full fitting in February and have been playing the Gen 2 XF with a AD VR 6x. It was a bit shorter than the X and my TS3 but the dispersion was unbelievable. That has translated from the fitting to the course and love it. Again, not the longest I hit but it is forgiving and still plenty long for me. For $295 this is a steal.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Just ordered my PXG 0811XF Gen 2 driver today. It was hard to find an available time for an on site fitting so I tried their phone fitting service and feel pretty good about the result. The phone fitting matches very close to the TruFit online fitting I took late last year. The discount must really be boosting sales as it looks like it could be 4-6 weeks before I get the new club. More to follow after I spend a little time with the club.

Current Irons: Callaway Apex CF16  - Recoil 760 Regular Flex, Std. Length/Lie

Callaway 56 Degree PM Grind Wedge

Current Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 2 - Fujikura Pro 2.0 53 R2 Std. Length 9 degree

Grips: Golf Pride CP2 Pro - Jumbo

Dexterity: Right handed

Resides: The Villages, FL (Home of 12 Championship Golf Courses)

HDCP: 17.8

Plays: 3-4 times per week 

I had a putter and a hybrid ready to check out, but I was hesitant on the hybrid having never hit one.  They lost me at the shipping cost.  Charging $30 to get a club in 6 weeks turned me off.  

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Ordered the Proto X this week, I took my TrueGolf Fit from late last year and the over the phone fititing with the rep to come up with what I hope to be a good combo   Went with the X versus the plus to keep spin down a bit, the same thing that I found in my Titleist fitting last fall. 

38 minutes ago, Jwhite86 said:

I had a putter and a hybrid ready to check out, but I was hesitant on the hybrid having never hit one.  They lost me at the shipping cost.  Charging $30 to get a club in 6 weeks turned me off.  

But it's the best packaging...period!!

I don’t know... My Honma TR20 driver packaging was pretty legit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

5 hours ago, PMookie said:

I don’t know... My Honma TR20 driver packaging was pretty legit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I get my TR20 on Monday so hopefully I can attest to this as well!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 2:52 PM, 2puttbogey said:

I am in the same boat. I'm also a lefty so the sale is even better. I'm going with a 2 wood though. The price is great, plus the custom fitting you can't go wrong. The shafts were a selling point as well. They use the true shaft not a "made for". 

Well with the wait to get it assembled and shiped I decided to check out the driver. So happy I did! When the fitter got the right shaft,  holy s%#@! The club is very easy to hit, sounds great, and launches the ball. Now I just got to keep waiting 😭

Well with the wait to get it assembled and shiped I decided to check out the driver. So happy I did! When the fitter got the right shaft,  holy s%#@! The club is very easy to hit, sounds great, and launches the ball. Now I just got to keep waiting

I agree about the Gen 2 driver. It is by far the best feeling and sounding driver I have hit. The distance and dispersion are exceptional as well. After 1 round with it the only driver I would replace it with would be the Proto and only if I got an amazing deal on it. I can’t believe I waited so long to try it. TrueGolfFit was right in the money for me with this as #1.

3 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I agree about the Gen 2 driver. It is by far the best feeling and sounding driver I have hit. The distance and dispersion are exceptional as well. After 1 round with it the only driver I would replace it with would be the Proto and only if I got an amazing deal on it. I can’t believe I waited so long to try it. TrueGolfFit was right in the money for me with this as #1.

Crazy thing is I was kinda skeptical of PXG, and they weren't really on my radar. Then this sale started and here it's the only way to get a true custom fitting. So I warmed up the the idea and they have impressed me. 

Was looking for a driver and even did a fitting at Club Champion.  Wasn't the best experience.  Although, I was fit almost 3 years ago at a different store and also was very unimpressed.  Saw PXG was offering the Gen2 for $295 and decided to look into it.  I was able to get a fitting last Thursday.  The fitting was well done, the comparison to the last two was night and day.  One of the big differences between the online fitting vs live is that he had many more shafts to review, and they were almost all no charge.  I was fit into an Adila NV Green NXT 65-S, 2nd place was the Tensei Orange ($125 upcharge).  As this is a low launch/low spin shaft he moved me to the 10.5 head of the 0811X Gen 2.  While my distance improvement was not drastic, 0-5 yards when I hit them both clean, where the big difference was in miss hits.  I was not hitting the ball well at the fitting so the dispersion was great for a deciding factor.  With the NV and the X head I had a one way miss, left, of about 10-15 yards with a distance loss of around 10 carry and 15 total (on 5 good hits averaged 258 carry 282 total).  My current driver (DVD 10.5 Adila Rouge 125 6.0) on good hits is about a 255 carry 275-280 total.  But, my miss is both ways 25 yds left or 10 yds right with 25 yards loss to carry and 30 to total.  Did I get the massive distance bump, nope.  Did I see a massive improvement on miss hits, yeah.  And since I don't play as much as I would like I might hit it on the screws every other drive at best the difference is more than enough to have a meaningful impact on my game.

If you struggle with too much spin the 0811X Gen 2 was great with the 3 tungsten plugs up front.  I dropped to 1800-2000 rpm for clean hits and 2600-2900 for miss hits.  My current sits 2600-2800 on clean hits and nearly 4000 on miss hits.  

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar

Agreed. The best presentation I have ever seen was my full set delivery.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I went to the Gen 2 XF that is lofted down and over 72 holes this weekend I missed 5 fairways. The rest of my game stinks right now but I am driving it more accurately than I have in my life.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I went to the Gen 2 XF that is lofted down and over 72 holes this weekend I missed 5 fairways. The rest of my game stinks right now but I am driving it more accurately than I have in my life.

Yeah I can't imagine the Proto being better. The X is incredibly low spin. I have a 10.5* head and went up in loft to the little + and it is still spinning less than any of my previous drivers. The only one that was close was the Epic Flash Sub Zero. I can't judge it by my last 2.5 rounds as something happened Saturday night when we went back out for a quick 9. I completely lost my swing for every club but Saturday morning it was a dream.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I am sure most have you already have , but check out one of the more recent txg videos.     Pxg Proto vs gen2.  It has me intrigued.   I really liked the gen2.   Maybe this Proto/gen3 is even better.  Best part is the Proto driver is on sale right now too 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

Have a fitting booked for Saturday to hit the xf. Assuming everything goes well I plan to order one, but I do have to say that $30 shipping is kind of disappointing.  Still going to be a good deal but every other golf company offers free shipping so $30/item is steep, especially since UPS is like $8 at their volume.  

I went for the deal as well, only downside is the 3 week assembly delay, I can't wait for mine to get delivered!

I went with the 0811XF Gen 2, based on the MGS CG/MOI report it occupies a unique spot in the CG and forgiveness charts that only the ping gmax, and Cobra speedzone xtreme w the tour length weight can match. I'm fighting the hooks right now and based on a video from the TXG guys I'm hoping the max forgiveness can help stabilize the head. When I saw I could get the PXG new w hzrdus smoke yellow cheaper than either the ping or cobra, it was a no brainer!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Went in for my fitting and ended up purchasing the XF with a stiff smoke yellow shaft. Kind of bummed that it will take 5 weeks, but I guess that is the state of things with the sale creating a huge back log.

Interesting that not everything matches up on the website vs. in the store. I was able to get the CP2 Pro grip at no upcharge where as it was not even available on the website in standard size. Also a ton more shaft options available. They also apparently offer free shipping to the store which I took advantage of because the woman told me shipping was $60!!  The website only charges $30.  The store is a solid 35 min drive for me, but there was no way I was paying an extra 20% of the driver cost to have it shipped to my door. 

Edited by ChitownM2

I feel like PXG may be in way over their heads with the influx of orders they've been getting. I've noticed it's started to affect their customer service. They've repurposed many of their mobile fitters all over the country to answer phones on their customer service lines. 

I went in and got fitted at the PXG HQ in Scottsdale in April. I ordered the XF 4-PW, 19 Hybrid, 3 wood and XF driver from them.

I'm now on my 5th week of waiting since submitting my order in and they haven't started the build yet! My estimated production date has been pushed back twice on the online tracker and no one over the phone has been able to even give me an estimate on when they will start. Best I've heard is maybe I'll get them around mid June.

Anyone else experiencing crazy delays on their orders? When I first went in I was told 3 weeks and now it's looking like it could easily exceed 8 weeks!

Edited by OJGolf

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Driver - GEN2 0811XF 9° - Kuro Kage Black 55 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 3 Wood - GEN2 0341X - ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Hybrid - GEN2 0317X - KBS TGI Graphite 80 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Irons - GEN2 0311XF 4-PW - Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Stiff (Lie: 1° Up, Length: +1")

:taylormade-small: Wedges - Milled Grind 2, 50° GW & 60° LW / Hi-Toe, 56° SW

:odyssey-small: Putter - Stroke Lab Seven Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Righty from Chandler, AZ / 24.3 Hdcp

First round of golf played: 3/8/2020