Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG Driver...Deal too good to pass up?

GambyGolfGuy

I feel like PXG may be in way over their heads with the influx of orders they've been getting. I've noticed it's started to affect their customer service. They've repurposed many of their mobile fitters all over the country to answer phones on their customer service lines. 
I went in and got fitted at the PXG HQ in Scottsdale in April. I ordered the XF 4-PW, 19 Hybrid, 3 wood and XF driver from them.
I'm now on my 5th week of waiting since submitting my order in and they haven't started the build yet! My estimated production date has been pushed back twice on the online tracker and no one over the phone has been able to even give me an estimate on when they will start. Best I've heard is maybe I'll get them around mid June.
Anyone else experiencing crazy delays on their orders? When I first went in I was told 3 weeks and now it's looking like it could easily exceed 8 weeks!

You might be right about being a bit over their head. At least definitely feeling a pinch. It took a month to get my driver (which actually worked to my advantage since I was originally just going to get a 2 wood). I was all excited because I heard about the PXG packaging but it just came in a regular cardboard box.IMG_0398.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, 2puttbogey said:

You might be right about being a bit over their head. At least definitely feeling a pinch. It took a month to get my driver (which actually worked to my advantage since I was originally just going to get a 2 wood). I was all excited because I heard about the PXG packaging but it just came in a regular cardboard box.IMG_0398.JPG

They charged $30 to throw it in a cardboard box. That's messed up. 

My bag is a revolving door!

I guess this is some troubling news. Right now my driver is scheduled for build on 6/19 which like I said is a bummer, but it's also near the end of my limit for waiting. I liked the club, but I'm not keen on missing half of the season waiting for my new driver no matter how good the price is. If mine gets pushed to mid July I'll probably be looking to cancel.

Also, for what it is worth, they extended the pricing deal through the end of June so the orders probably aren't going to slow down.

Edited by ChitownM2

17 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Wow! That's the first I heard of them shipping out their clubs in plain cardboard boxes.

The situation must be worse than I first assumed over at PXG. Spent over $2K with them and can't even get a call back from them.

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Driver - GEN2 0811XF 9° - Kuro Kage Black 55 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 3 Wood - GEN2 0341X - ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Hybrid - GEN2 0317X - KBS TGI Graphite 80 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Irons - GEN2 0311XF 4-PW - Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Stiff (Lie: 1° Up, Length: +1")

:taylormade-small: Wedges - Milled Grind 2, 50° GW & 60° LW / Hi-Toe, 56° SW

:odyssey-small: Putter - Stroke Lab Seven Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Righty from Chandler, AZ / 24.3 Hdcp

First round of golf played: 3/8/2020

First post, have been a lurker for quite a while.  i ordered my PXG on 4-26.  Got it 5-30. i live 4 hours from Minneapolis so fitting wasn't a good option.  I went  with their recommendation. My club came in a plain cardboard box.  Worst new club package I've ever received.  My son ordered the same day, his came in the same box, but his wasn't even put together!  Now about the club, neither of us is very happy about it.  I have a 410 + that I was very happy with but for the price we thought we would give the PXG a try.  I have yet to hit a shot with it that feels like I hit it on the screws.  We bought the 0811 and my son says the same thing.  I called them and told them not very happy with the club and they said they are going to have a fitter call me to see if I can meet somewhere for a fitting because there is simply no way I'm going to the Twin Cities right now.  I guess we'll see how it turns out.  i have the Riptide blue regular shaft, hopefully a different shaft will wake it up.  Don't take this as a bash i don't intend it that way but I would get  fit for it before ordering unless you are sure what you are ordering.

Edited by Old Lefty

Wow! That's the first I heard of them shipping out their clubs in plain cardboard boxes.
The situation must be worse than I first assumed over at PXG. Spent over $2K with them and can't even get a call back from them.

I contacted them and they offered refund on shipping or choice of two accessories or hats. I chose a hat and towel. So at least they’re showing that care.

For those that are having the delays, it took a month for mine to get built. The shipping was fast (not packed correctly). It was set to standard, but I just texted my local fitter and he gave me my specs and I made the adjustments, not a big deal to me, I like tinkering anyway.

So it seems like between Covid and the sale they kinda got put in a tough spot. I got a great performing club at a great price, and the inconveniences are being taken care of to my satisfaction. I am not at turned off from PXG, just seems like that got caught in a bad spot and will giveth the benefit of the doubt this time.

2 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

I contacted them and they offered refund on shipping or choice of two accessories or hats. I chose a hat and towel. So at least they’re showing that care.

For those that are having the delays, it took a month for mine to get built. The shipping was fast (not packed correctly). It was set to standard, but I just texted my local fitter and he gave me my specs and I made the adjustments, not a big deal to me, I like tinkering anyway.

So it seems like between Covid and the sale they kinda got put in a tough spot. I got a great performing club at a great price, and the inconveniences are being taken care of to my satisfaction. I am not at turned off from PXG, just seems like that got caught in a bad spot and will giveth the benefit of the doubt this time.

Great to hear that they were at least willing to hear you out and offer some accessories to make up for the lousy packaging.

I'm now sitting at about week 6 with no update and their online tracking tool says my build is estimated to start on 5/15/20... I do hope that they're able to get my clubs out soon. I was very happy with the fitting and am looking forward the clubs themselves but am not sure I would have pulled the trigger knowing the delay would have been as long as it has been already.

I opted to pick it up at their HQ in Scottsdale so am curious what packaging they'll be providing when that day finally comes.

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Driver - GEN2 0811XF 9° - Kuro Kage Black 55 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 3 Wood - GEN2 0341X - ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Hybrid - GEN2 0317X - KBS TGI Graphite 80 Stiff

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Irons - GEN2 0311XF 4-PW - Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Stiff (Lie: 1° Up, Length: +1")

18 hours ago, OJGolf said:

I opted to pick it up at their HQ in Scottsdale so am curious what packaging they'll be providing when that day finally comes.

I'm also picking mine up at the local store. My guess is that if it gets shipped in the traditional PXG box, that is what I'm going to get when I pick it up, but if it gets shipped in a cardboard box, they will probably hand me my club with the headcover on and the tool separately. They did seem very customer focused when I was in the store and I'm thinking they would be embarrassed to hand me a generic cardboard box like the one pictured above. Certainly would not be the "premium experience/look" they are going for if other customers saw me walking out with an ugly brown box.

I think they are jammed up, ordered 5/14, was supposed to be assembled Wednesday, order status still hasn’t changed!

IMG_2171.PNG.ad45ef8eb88af1f7ee896b7a7d2ecaad.PNG

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

37 minutes ago, Grit Golf said:

I think they are jammed up, ordered 5/14, was supposed to be assembled Wednesday, order status still hasn’t changed!

Took a month for mine. It was a bummer to have to wait so long, but it's the first club I've had fit to me so the wait was worth it. 

I must hold off getting the proto driver

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I must hold off getting the proto driver

I thought the same thing but decided to give the Gen2 a try to curb my desire for the Proto. The Gen2 is so good that the desire is almost gone completely.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

24 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

I thought the same thing but decided to give the Gen2 a try to curb my desire for the Proto. The Gen2 is so good that the desire is almost gone completely.

Agreed, gen2 is super good.  I gamed it all last with accra tz6.   But the ho in me keeps whispering proto...

Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I ordered the Proto X on 5/06 it shipped out 5/26 and arrived 6/1.   

I haven't been to the course in 2 weeks.  So I can't speak to the packaging, let alone and performance.  

But I was pleased with the delivery time from order. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I ordered the Proto X on 5/06 it shipped out 5/26 and arrived 6/1.   

I haven't been to the course in 2 weeks.  So I can't speak to the packaging, let alone and performance.  

But I was pleased with the delivery time from order. 

Keep us updated on what you think of it.  You could be the tipping point for me lol

Just now, Hotdocta said:

Keep us updated on what you think of it.  You could be the tipping point for me lol

Will do. I expect to be back at work next week. And will post some pics and if I'm up to it, get some swings in with it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Had a PXG fitting today, drove 4 hours one way for it.  I got  my Gen 2 last sat.  Probably hit 100 balls with it last week and wasn't happy with it so went for a fitting.  Told them money was no object, I'm 59 years old and want to keep up with my boys.  I didn't care what name the shaft was or what it cost , I want to hit it farther. after an hour, best was 236 with 91 swing speed.  At this point I'm pooped but i brought my 410+ cause i wanted to see what it would do on a Trackman.  First shot with the Ping, stock shaft, 235.  2nd, 228.  At this point my back is done.  They took my club for re shafting, which i don't get.  Why couldn't they have just kept the shaft and sent me a new one?  Anyway new shaft is Riptide 50 gram 5.5.  Old one was same shaft but the 60 gram and it was too stiff for me. I don't know how many different shafts I hit today, one was a $200 upcharge  and i had higher swing speed with it but not the yards.  The day did impress me regarding Ping quality. Throwing it out there for recommendations for the  best shaft for an old man with a bad back and still wants to hit it 250! Thanks

Had a PXG fitting today, drove 4 hours one way for it.  I got  my Gen 2 last sat.  Probably hit 100 balls with it last week and wasn't happy with it so went for a fitting.  Told them money was no object, I'm 59 years old and want to keep up with my boys.  I didn't care what name the shaft was or what it cost , I want to hit it farther. after an hour, best was 236 with 91 swing speed.  At this point I'm pooped but i brought my 410+ cause i wanted to see what it would do on a Trackman.  First shot with the Ping, stock shaft, 235.  2nd, 228.  At this point my back is done.  They took my club for re shafting, which i don't get.  Why couldn't they have just kept the shaft and sent me a new one?  Anyway new shaft is Riptide 50 gram 5.5.  Old one was same shaft but the 60 gram and it was too stiff for me. I don't know how many different shafts I hit today, one was a $200 upcharge  and i had higher swing speed with it but not the yards.  The day did impress me regarding Ping quality. Throwing it out there for recommendations for the  best shaft for an old man with a bad back and still wants to hit it 250! Thanks

I say it all the time - stock Ping shafts can hang with anything in the “free upgrade” section of the fitting carts for other brands, including PXG!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

On 6/5/2020 at 8:34 PM, Grit Golf said:

I had the estimated build date on mine change three times. I ordered on 4/25, (Driver, wood, hybrid and 0311Xf irons), my first estimated build date was 5/15/2020 and then after that passed it changed to 5/25 and then it was just blank for about 10 days.  It just updated last Friday to picked/in assembly but am doubtful that they're actually assembling anything as it conveniently happened after I reached out to my fitter for an update since the previous 3 people at PXG customer service who promised me a detailed update ghosted me.. 4 days later I still haven't heard back from my fitter on the promised update either.

Its one thing if it's delayed and you're able to provide the reason for it i.e. the specific heads I ordered aren't in til blank date and then they'll get built on this date etc. but the big issue I'm having is that after about 4 separate attempts to get an order update after my  $2000+ order has been delayed to 7 weeks,  I've gotten nothing but the generic COVID response they copy and paste on social media and then ZERO follow up on specifics after.

You have to wonder at what point extending the PXG deal was solely greed to capitalize on sales, when they clearly can't keep up with the production and more importantly is killing their previous image of "ultimate" customer service.

I'm hoping they pick it up and this all ends up being worth it. I've been tempted to cancel but keep waiting thinking that it's right around the corner.. here I am 7 weeks later still waiting 😅

I'm hoping they pick it up and this all ends up being worth it. I've been tempted to cancel but keep waiting thinking that it's right around the corner.. here I am 7 weeks later still waiting

That’s crazy! Based on my order date relative to yours I may be in the 2 month club as well. It’s not a great experience, but I wonder how much of this was driven by survival. With all their brick and mortar fitters not able to operate, they were probably staring down the barrel of a very very bad couple of months?

I can’t wait for this thing to get delivered, the anticipation is killing me!

I think it was a brilliant piece of marketing. While all the other big brands were basically closed down due to their factories being shut down PXG was able to offer new clubs at a price that beat the competition. Plus with their high price point originally it makes us all feel like we are getting a massive deal. Obviously with how backed up they seem to be they must have had an insane number of orders. Probably going to have an extremely strong financial quarter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I think it was a brilliant piece of marketing. While all the other big brands were basically closed down due to their factories being shut down PXG was able to offer new clubs at a price that beat the competition. Plus with their high price point originally it makes us all feel like we are getting a massive deal. Obviously with how backed up they seem to be they must have had an insane number of orders. Probably going to have an extremely strong financial quarter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think the marketing has certainly worked on one person 😉

The flip side 'could be' sell cheaper clubs as we need to shift stock to make room for new models. Backed up due to covid working restrictions so less staff and certainly supply chain affected. Time will tell about their financial quarter but most companies dont cut prices when product is in demand. I give you Apple as an example.

Just another perspective.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

To me, it’s more about protecting their cash position in a time when their brick and mortar supply chain is shut down. They’ve been a custom fit only brand in the past, and with custom fitters shut down by law, they were most likely trying to get ahead of the bleeding.

Being able to move old inventory may be part of it. Being able to show lost/forfeit revenue for loan forgiveness may be part of it. Testing the waters for a lower price point may be part of it - IDK I’m not an expert.

What I will say is I need a max moi, max back/low CG driver head to neutralize my “overdraw.” With the sale, the PXG was somehow cheaper than the 2018 Ping G400 Max (still sold as new) and the Cobra SZ Xtreme Tour, which are the only other 2 heads I’ve ever seen measured that are in that conversation. Can’t wait for this thing to get here, it’s been 4 weeks...

I'm getting fit next week for a Proto w/ my local PXG fitter.  Been fighting off doing a fitting because I like the Mavrik SZ, but several in my playing group had ridiculous ball speed gains by switching to the Proto, so now I have to get fit.

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

12 hours ago, LakeCowboy said:

I'm getting fit next week for a Proto w/ my local PXG fitter.  Been fighting off doing a fitting because I like the Mavrik SZ, but several in my playing group had ridiculous ball speed gains by switching to the Proto, so now I have to get fit.

I am sold lol. Now to pull the trigger

On 6/12/2020 at 9:20 PM, Hotdocta said:

I am sold lol. Now to pull the trigger

Got fit today

Proto X

Tour AD GP7X +1/2"

no grip, putting a Golf Pride Microsuede Mid on it

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

I was a little concerned about my order based on what others have seen.  Then on the day it was supposed to begin assembly everything went blank on the tracker, no dates and nothing highlighted.  I gave it the weekend, glad I did, as I checked Monday morning and it was in build then shipped today.  Hope it was shipped in good packaging.  As cool as the box is I’ve seen before, I just want it properly protected in transit.  If it arrives by the current estimate it will be in the 4-5 week window I was told when fit.   

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar

On 5/13/2020 at 11:58 PM, ragtag2 said:

Just ordered my PXG 0811XF Gen 2 driver today. It was hard to find an available time for an on site fitting so I tried their phone fitting service and feel pretty good about the result. The phone fitting matches very close to the TruFit online fitting I took late last year. The discount must really be boosting sales as it looks like it could be 4-6 weeks before I get the new club. More to follow after I spend a little time with the club.

Received my new PXG 0811XF Gen 2 driver Tuesday just under 5 weeks but as promised between 4-6weeks. Used it for the first time yesterday and I have to say the fitting I had over the phone was spot on. The driver is a big improvement over my old Calloway XR, now I just have to get my swing under better control having developed some bad habits with the old driver. Thanks PXG for the great deal!

Current Irons: Callaway Apex CF16  - Recoil 760 Regular Flex, Std. Length/Lie

Callaway 56 Degree PM Grind Wedge

Current Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 2 - Fujikura Pro 2.0 53 R2 Std. Length 9 degree

Grips: Golf Pride CP2 Pro - Jumbo

Dexterity: Right handed

Resides: The Villages, FL (Home of 12 Championship Golf Courses)

HDCP: 17.8

Plays: 3-4 times per week 

My driver came today!

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

It’s not the best packaging in the game, but it was HALF PRICE, and I’m ripping it!

IMG_2250.JPG