TESTERS WANTED! ×

New 5 wood - what should I look for?

HAC

Most of my golf clubs are 2 to 5 years old, but my 5 wood, a Cobra S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft, is about 12 years old.  It came about for a couple of reasons.  About five years ago, I hated my old driver.  Then, I was out of town playing golf with clients at a work event and, after about 14 holes where I was not driving well,  borrowed a Ping G rental driver that one of them was using and went on and hit four nice drives.  Within a few months I had bought a Ping G driver and have loved it.

Then, a couple of years ago, I wanted new hybrids and wedges and ended up buying new irons as well because of gapping issues and because as I got older it was probably better to get slightly lighter shafts.

I have put away my 3 wood (in my mid 60s, I no longer have the swing speed to hit a 3 wood and hit the 5 wood better) and bought an extra wedge.  I have always hit my 5 wood off the deck pretty well.  

I am left handed and have swing speed of about 90 MPH with my driver.  

I hit my 5 wood pretty straight and hit it about 190-200 yards.

My irons are bent 2 degrees flat and my Titleist hybrid is at a D4 setting.

My first two thoughts are trying Ping (my driver) and Titleist (my hybrids and irons).  What else should I try?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

Cobra f7 or f8, 5/6

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

A good fitter and see what works best for you. 

Other wise you will bet recommendations for every one that’s on the market now or 2-3 years old.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The obligatory 'get fit" advice noted. 

That said, i'd give strong consideration to the PING G410 5 wood.  First and foremost, I am the same age and maybe a couple mph slower swing speed than you, and I have the 3,7 and 9 FW.   I am able to get the 7 and 9 wood up high enough very easily, like you I found I couldn't quite get the launch on the 3W, so I'm going to trade it in for a 5w

The other big factor is you mentioning you play your clubs a bit flat, one of the biggest changes for the PING FW line with the 410 is that a flat setting is now included in it's 8 way sleeve. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

What do you want out of your 5-wood? Distance, forgiveness, combination of the two? What kind of look suits your eye? Are you going to use it more off the tee, or would you like the ability to hit it from a wide range of surfaces? If you start to answer those kind of questions, you can narrow down your search. 

Personally I like the carbon-fiber or matte black look, a narrower soleplate so I can hit it from a bunch of surfaces, I don't hit it off the tee much so my face doesn't need to be deep, and I have a high ball flight so I am looking for a little more distance and less forgiveness so I can reach those long par 4's or short par 5's in 2 with better stopping power than my 3 wood. Oh and I hate a lot of offset (usually not really an issue on woods). Plus I have a brand preference for PING to match my driver, so I would most likely try a Ping 410.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I did love the ping 5-W at demo day last year

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I always like the idea of new or upgrading because something is old. I went through this with my 5 wood last year. I have a old 2001 Adams tight lie at with the bimatrix shaft. I have always hit it well. Around 230 and pretty darn accurate. Thought new tech could give me a advantage so I went to a local golf fitter. He had me hit all of the new clubs in various shafts and results were I had gained a average of 1.5 yards distance more with a Callaway rogue. So take your 5 wood and compare everything side by side and see if anything feels better or if the performance is really worth it

Saw someone else already posted the "get fit" advice, but I ditched a 5-wood and went with the Great Big Bertha Heavenwood. As much of a point and shoot club as I've ever had.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Fairways seem to be the club that a lot of golfers will keep in the bag that is much older than the rest of their clubs.  It can be hard to find a fairway that you get along with, if you fare well with your current one definitely don't trade it in when you get a different one!

Dave

I was having done issues with my Fairway Woods so I adjusted the lifts from 13.5 to 16 and from 18.5 to 20......started getting the balks in the air and I did not lose any distance....Cobra F8’s are terrific!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 5/7/2020 at 12:12 PM, Jchris05 said:

I always like the idea of new or upgrading because something is old. I went through this with my 5 wood last year. I have a old 2001 Adams tight lie at with the bimatrix shaft. I have always hit it well. Around 230 and pretty darn accurate. Thought new tech could give me a advantage so I went to a local golf fitter. He had me hit all of the new clubs in various shafts and results were I had gained a average of 1.5 yards distance more with a Callaway rogue. So take your 5 wood and compare everything side by side and see if anything feels better or if the performance is really worth it

So what you're saying is if it's not broken don't try to fix it

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in the market for a 5w,  to replace my driving iron.  When our stores open up again, I am going to try these three:  Srixon ZF85, Ping G410, and Cobra Speedzone Tour.  I am open to trying others, but these are the top three that I want to try. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I love the Ping, Cobra and Callaway offerings the last few years regarding the #5 wood / lofts 17-21 degrees. Mainly because these newer generation #5 woods seem to yield extreme ease regarding high initial launch angle but not balloon height. So they are playable off the tee, from the deck and especially into the wind. I mention that last sentence as the older #5 woods that I played had the risk of ballooning. Imo these newer "lower spin" faces are helping regarding that aspect. And the good thing for the consumer that fits properly into a five wood, most brands are very good these days. Plus the shafts in these newer generation #5 woods are better matched to the club head.