TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do we take a backswing in golf?

Maybe it is just the impact of social distancing and my club's course being closed, but I have been thinking of this question.

I mean, I don't really take a backswing with a baseball bat (I stand with the bat back) and I learned in tennis to get my racket back as early as possible.  And, so many of us make so many mistakes on backswings.  Would we be better off setting up with our club back (making sure we have turned our shoulders and hips, have our clubface pointing correctly, weight properly balanced (no reverse pivot), etc.) or is there a reason why a backswing is better?

Wouldn't it be easier to accelerate through the downswing without a backswing getting one off balance?

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

Maybe it is just the impact of social distancing and my club's course being closed, but I have been thinking of this question.
I mean, I don't really take a backswing with a baseball bat (I stand with the bat back) and I learned in tennis to get my racket back as early as possible.  And, so many of us make so many mistakes on backswings.  Would we be better off setting up with our club back (making sure we have turned our shoulders and hips, have our clubface pointing correctly, weight properly balanced (no reverse pivot), etc.) or is there a reason why a backswing is better?
Wouldn't it be easier to accelerate through the downswing without a backswing getting one off balance?

There are lots of ways to get the club to the top. If you can hit the ball better starting at that point go ahead. Golf is a little different from other sports since the ball is moving in tennis and baseball

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, HAC said:

However, if it worked it would be employed by very good golfers.  Success and failure leave clues.  That said, based on how far you need to hit it to play with your partners, it is possible it could work.  Golf swings require dynamics to move the club with some speed.  Measure rather than guess.  

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There are lots of ways to get the club to the top. If you can hit the ball better starting at that point go ahead. Golf is a little different from other sports since the ball is moving in tennis and baseball

I must admit I have never done this, but I may try it on a driving range when I go back to the course.  Would be weird, but if it works it works.

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

6 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

However, if it worked it would be employed by very good golfers.  Success and failure leave clues.  That said, based on how far you need to hit it to play with your partners, it is possible it could work.  Golf swings require dynamics to move the club with some speed.  Measure rather than guess.  

It is a question I would love to ask  Bryson DeChambeau.  Seems like he has thought of about everything on the golf swing.  But, I do plan on trying it when I can get back on a golf range and if it seems to work discussing it with the pro that gives me lessons.

• Bridgestone B X.

George gankas doesn’t use a back swing at least with driver. He set wrists, lift arms and rotates. 

One could do the nick price drill and then rotate to the top. 

The backswing is a series of movements and length. 

Baseball backswing you are presetting your weight and pressure as well as your starting point for the transition and into contact. There’s drills in golf that are similar to the baseball swing where you place the club on the shoulder, rotate, push arms away then transition into the downswing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Does Hideki Matsuyama make a backswing since he stops at the top???? Hmmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

Does Hideki Matsuyama make a backswing since he stops at the top???? Hmmmm.

Yes and his stop is a slightly longer pause than other players before the transition. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

This video should explain why.  Sasho MacKenzie is probably one of the most respected in the industry.  He is a scientist who just so happens to focus on the golf swing.  It's the same concept as how one swings an ax or a hammer, or why a wind up punch is more powerful than a jab.  Or why one can jump higher/further when squating down and exploding up rather than just starting from the bottom of a squat.

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

George gankas doesn’t use a back swing at least with driver. He set wrists, lift arms and rotates. 

One could do the nick price drill and then rotate to the top. 

The backswing is a series of movements and length. 

Baseball backswing you are presetting your weight and pressure as well as your starting point for the transition and into contact. There’s drills in golf that are similar to the baseball swing where you place the club on the shoulder, rotate, push arms away then transition into the downswing.

He sets wrists, lift arms and rotates is a back swing. Players use three forces to develop speed, and if they don't use them well they need time which equates to a longer back swing. Go view a shot put and a Scottish Games Shot put and discover why the difference in distance produced.  

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes and his stop is a slightly longer pause than other players before the transition. 

He doesn't stop at all.  His lower body is doing something during the so called pause.  The eyes are deceiving.  

4 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

He doesn't stop at all.  His lower body is doing something during the so called pause.  The eyes are deceiving.  

Agree and why I said it’s a longer pause to describe what was referred to as a stop.

This topic is the vary reason, why mid to high handicap golfers remain so.  This stuff has been figured out all ready.  I'm all for exploration and challenging the status quo but so much has been done already that most players would dramatically improve if they just stuck to a plan.  Neither the plan or technique need to be all that correct to develop a pattern that can used to improve score.  

37 minutes ago, HAC said:

It is a question I would love to ask  Bryson DeChambeau.  Seems like he has thought of about everything on the golf swing.  But, I do plan on trying it when I can get back on a golf range and if it seems to work discussing it with the pro that gives me lessons.

Smart people have discovered this well before BD.  He isn't the first person to ask questions. 

27 minutes ago, jlukes said:

This video should explain why.  Sasho MacKenzie is probably one of the most respected in the industry.  He is a scientist who just so happens to focus on the golf swing.  It's the same concept as how one swings an ax or a hammer, or why a wind up punch is more powerful than a jab.  Or why one can jump higher/further when squating down and exploding up rather than just starting from the bottom of a squat.

I was going to mention  kinetic energy, but obviously Sasho did a much better job of explaining it 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, edteergolf said:

This topic is the vary reason, why mid to high handicap golfers remain so.  This stuff has been figured out all ready.  I'm all for exploration and challenging the status quo but so much has been done already that most players would dramatically improve if they just stuck to a plan.  Neither the plan or technique need to be all that correct to develop a pattern that can used to improve score.  

The "vary" reason.  Some of us spent our years learning how to spell.

• Bridgestone B X.

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Seems like yet another trade-off between clubhead speed and control.  Thanks.

• Bridgestone B X.

14 minutes ago, HAC said:

Seems like yet another trade-off between clubhead speed and control.  Thanks.

If properly fit there should be no trade off between them. Getting a fitting optimized both 

Right.
If you look at what the OP presents, he talks about a baseball swing. The assumption I take is that he’s referencing the bat not in motion, which I take as referencing the club here. In a baseball swing, the legs and lower body are moving as well. In this essence, taking the premise as stated, the discussion here should reference the club being stationary.
Therefore, Hideki would be the closest Pro to meeting the assumed notion.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Right.
If you look at what the OP presents, he talks about a baseball swing. The assumption I take is that he’s referencing the bat not in motion, which I take as referencing the club here. In a baseball swing, the legs and lower body are moving as well. In this essence, taking the premise as stated, the discussion here should reference the club being stationary.
Therefore, Hideki would be the closest Pro to meeting the assumed notion.

Most good baseball swings absolutely start with the hands moving away from the target before moving towards the ball.  It's not nearly as pronounced as the back swing in golf, but baseball players absolutely "load" their hands and their lower bodies backwards prior to making a move towards the ball.  In the concepts of kinetic motion and opposing forces that are referenced in the video I linked above is exactly why big-league hitters waggle there bat and load their body backwards prior to kicking their front leg forwards and swinging into the ball.

Image result for mlb swing slow motion gif | Motion, Mlb, Image

Albert Pujols Hitting Slow Motion Home Run Baseball Swing Batting ...

Image result for mlb swing slow motion gif | Mlb, Image, Motion

3 hours ago, edteergolf said:

Smart people have discovered this well before BD.  He isn't the first person to ask questions. 

Exactly. How many years was he employed as a "scientist" before getting into golf? 5-10-15?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Everybody else already nailed it here IMO. Good discussion all around. I would like to add that there are a TON of internal accelerations that you cannot see in a golf swing, and once you begin the club in motion it stays in motion along that path unless you are accelerating it (newtonian physics). There is no stop to the swing, just a change of direction coming from a net acceleration in the opposite direction of the clubs velocity. Also note, the more speed there is the more stable the swing is ALONG THE PATH YOU SET. This does not mean you will hit it straight, but rather the club will require more acceleration to move it off its inertial path. If the swing lacks speed small forces (accelerations bc the mass is constant) can throw the club offline, think of a putter and how easily it can be deflected. Velocity is your friend in golf. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Adding to what's already been said, I see a comparison between loading the golf swing and squatting. In a squat, you want to "bounce" out of the bottom. If you've ever squatted from pins (from a dead start at the bottom) it's a lot more difficult. I went back to a strength book I've read recently talking about the importance of this "bounce" in squatting (Rippetoe's "Starting Strength")

"...

1. The stretch reflex stores energy in the visceolastic components of the muscles and fascia, and this energy gets used at the turnaround out of the bottom.

2. The stretch tells the neuromuscular system that a contraction is about to follow. This signal results in more contractile units firing more efficiently, enabling you to generate more force than would be possible without the stretch flex.

..." (Emphasis mine)

Pretty interesting stuff! I believe I've also read that correlating speed to tempo, basically as long as your ratio of back swing to down swing is in a good spot, you can ramp up speed, maintaining that ratio, and as long as your technique doesn't fall apart you should be good. I think Rickie Fowler was used as an example of someone who's really cranked up his back and down swing, but maintained a good tempo/ratio between the two.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

2 hours ago, HAC said:

The "vary" reason.  Some of us spent our years learning how to spell.

You aren't in second grade, you can write a more meaningful rebuttal. Am I wrong? 

7 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Adding to what's already been said, I see a comparison between loading the golf swing and squatting. In a squat, you want to "bounce" out of the bottom. If you've ever squatted from pins (from a dead start at the bottom) it's a lot more difficult. I went back to a strength book I've read recently talking about the importance of this "bounce" in squatting (Rippetoe's "Starting Strength")

"...

1. The stretch reflex stores energy in the visceolastic components of the muscles and fascia, and this energy gets used at the turnaround out of the bottom.

2. The stretch tells the neuromuscular system that a contraction is about to follow. This signal results in more contractile units firing more efficiently, enabling you to generate more force than would be possible without the stretch flex.

..." (Emphasis mine)

Pretty interesting stuff! I believe I've also read that correlating speed to tempo, basically as long as your ratio of back swing to down swing is in a good spot, you can ramp up speed, maintaining that ratio, and as long as your technique doesn't fall apart you should be good. I think Rickie Fowler was used as an example of someone who's really cranked up his back and down swing, but maintained a good tempo/ratio between the two.

Counter movements. One segment continues back (torso & arms) while the lower body is moving forward (linear, rotations/torque, & vertical) creating stored and released energy.  

17 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Everybody else already nailed it here IMO. Good discussion all around. I would like to add that there are a TON of internal accelerations that you cannot see in a golf swing, and once you begin the club in motion it stays in motion along that path unless you are accelerating it (newtonian physics). There is no stop to the swing, just a change of direction coming from a net acceleration in the opposite direction of the clubs velocity. Also note, the more speed there is the more stable the swing is ALONG THE PATH YOU SET. This does not mean you will hit it straight, but rather the club will require more acceleration to move it off its inertial path. If the swing lacks speed small forces (accelerations bc the mass is constant) can throw the club offline, think of a putter and how easily it can be deflected. Velocity is your friend in golf. 

This is why that working a bit on speed also tends to correlate to improved accuracy.  There is a point of diminishing return.  

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Trade off? Not at all.  Any good coach will focus on speed first and then focus on reigning it in for more control.

I'm not so sure about that.  Faster speed with a poor or mismatched pattern will not go well.