TESTERS WANTED! ×

Initial Thoughts on PXG 0211

LittleWalter

I ordered my PXG 0211's on April 15th and received them on Thursday, April 30th.  There was also a Gen 1 Mustang putter in the box (couldn't pass up for $95).  I cam from Mizuno JPX 800 Pro irons to the 0211.  I'm a 14 handicap.  What plagues my game is consistency.  I have shot a 38 on the front nine and followed it up with a 48 on the back 9.  My first round under 100 started with a 57 on the front (41 on the back).  With that in mind, my goals for new irons were a little workability for days when I'm playing like I have clue and forgiveness on my bad days when I'm landscaping.  I'll give my impressions on how the new sticks compare with my old ones.

Looks:

I was totally impressed with the appearance of these clubs.  One thing I noticed was the progressive nature of the set, both in terms of shaft length and in offset.  The 4-iron had noticeably more offset than the Mizunos.  The offset in the mid irons and wedges was very similar.  The lines of the club flowed well.  I don't like a lot of offset in my irons, and the 4-iron, while having noticeable offset, didn't distract me at all.  I think the 0211s present a very clean look.

Sound:

For me, these irons sound great.  There's a bit of a click at impact with a well-struck ball.  I liked it.

Feel:

Coming from Mizuno irons, I was surprised that a cast club could feel this good.  I hit a 5-iron to a 190-yard pin, and it literally felt like butter.  As soon as I hit it, I said, "that has to be the sweet spot!"  I don't think I gave up anything in the feel department switching from Mizuno JPX to these.

Forgiveness:

What can I say, I mess up on the course....a lot.  I've been working on ball positioning which affects grip placement, etc.  Caught one off the toe and thought I was screwed.  I lost maybe 10 to 15 yards.  yes, they passed the forgiveness criteria for me.

Distance:

The 4-iron is about 1/3" longer than my old 4.  The lengths in the mid and short irons are virtually identical.  Even with the slightly stronger lofts, I'm getting higher ball flight and more distance (in the 5+ yard area).

Overall Impression:

In total, I'm pleased with my purchase.  I was considering ordering Callaway Apex's through their preowned site for roughly the same price (more when you factor in lie angle adjustments and shaft extensions).  Glad I went the route I did.  While I wish I could go christen them at the range, they received a COVID-19 induced battlefield commission.  I shot an 88 with my wedges on strike for the day.  Essentially, these are staying in the bag.  I attached a few comparison photos.  Mizunos are on the left, 0211's on the right.  My ability to balance clubs on my shoulder while taking photos needs some work.

4 Irons.jpg

7 irons.jpg

Gap wedges.jpg

Currently in my Sun Mountain Phantom

Driver:  Callaway Rogue

4W:  Callaway Rogue

7W:  Callaway Rogue

4-GW:  PXG 0211

SW/LW:  Taylor Made Milled Grind

Putter:  PXG Mustang Gen 1

Congrats on the new purchase. For that price it’s a smoking deal and I hope they work well!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, LittleWalter said:

I ordered my PXG 0211's on April 15th and received them on Thursday, April 30th.  There was also a Gen 1 Mustang putter in the box (couldn't pass up for $95).  I cam from Mizuno JPX 800 Pro irons to the 0211.  I'm a 14 handicap.  What plagues my game is consistency.  I have shot a 38 on the front nine and followed it up with a 48 on the back 9.  My first round under 100 started with a 57 on the front (41 on the back).  With that in mind, my goals for new irons were a little workability for days when I'm playing like I have clue and forgiveness on my bad days when I'm landscaping.  I'll give my impressions on how the new sticks compare with my old ones.

Looks:

I was totally impressed with the appearance of these clubs.  One thing I noticed was the progressive nature of the set, both in terms of shaft length and in offset.  The 4-iron had noticeably more offset than the Mizunos.  The offset in the mid irons and wedges was very similar.  The lines of the club flowed well.  I don't like a lot of offset in my irons, and the 4-iron, while having noticeable offset, didn't distract me at all.  I think the 0211s present a very clean look.

Sound:

For me, these irons sound great.  There's a bit of a click at impact with a well-struck ball.  I liked it.

Feel:

Coming from Mizuno irons, I was surprised that a cast club could feel this good.  I hit a 5-iron to a 190-yard pin, and it literally felt like butter.  As soon as I hit it, I said, "that has to be the sweet spot!"  I don't think I gave up anything in the feel department switching from Mizuno JPX to these.

Forgiveness:

What can I say, I mess up on the course....a lot.  I've been working on ball positioning which affects grip placement, etc.  Caught one off the toe and thought I was screwed.  I lost maybe 10 to 15 yards.  yes, they passed the forgiveness criteria for me.

Distance:

The 4-iron is about 1/3" longer than my old 4.  The lengths in the mid and short irons are virtually identical.  Even with the slightly stronger lofts, I'm getting higher ball flight and more distance (in the 5+ yard area).

Overall Impression:

In total, I'm pleased with my purchase.  I was considering ordering Callaway Apex's through their preowned site for roughly the same price (more when you factor in lie angle adjustments and shaft extensions).  Glad I went the route I did.  While I wish I could go christen them at the range, they received a COVID-19 induced battlefield commission.  I shot an 88 with my wedges on strike for the day.  Essentially, these are staying in the bag.  I attached a few comparison photos.  Mizunos are on the left, 0211's on the right.  My ability to balance clubs on my shoulder while taking photos needs some work.

4 Irons.jpg

7 irons.jpg

Gap wedges.jpg

Man I want these irons.  Had them in the cart today but didn't pull the trigger 😎

What shaft do you have in them and in your Mizunos. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

14 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Man I want these irons.  Had them in the cart today but didn't pull the trigger 😎

What shaft do you have in them and in your Mizunos. 

Do it!  Do it now!!! (in my Arnold voice)  My Mizunos have the Dynalite Gold XP (I think).  My 0211s have the Elevate 95 shaft in stiff flex.  I used to be a strictly Dynamic Gold player (woods and irons) until back surgery changed my whole outlook on golf.  A little help getting the ball higher works for me.

I like the look of these irons the best of all of their offerings because of the lack of screw weights (coming from someone who games the 0811X driver!). Are these your first hollow-bodied clubs? How did the short irons perform?

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

On 5/6/2020 at 4:51 AM, adamflowers said:

I like the look of these irons the best of all of their offerings because of the lack of screw weights (coming from someone who games the 0811X driver!). Are these your first hollow-bodied clubs? How did the short irons perform?

These are my first hollow bodied irons.  I can honestly say I've had too many irons over the years.  I started playing golf in 1996.  In 24 years, I had the Mizuno's in the bag for 9 years.  Before that, I went through at least 7 sets of irons that I can remember (none hollow bodied).  The only thing that might come close to hollow body is the Callaway Fusion I had years ago.  Short irons performed great.  High trajectory, soft feel.  The only issue I had was grabbing an 8 when I should have grabbed a 7 into the wind.