Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Speeding up the game, one player at a time

A coronavirus afternoon golf outing took over 5 hours with tee times spread 15 minutes apart.  This morning 2 slow gentleman made a 4 some and a 1 some wait.   Even the PGA and LPGA tours believe they have issues.   With coronavirus health agencies letting courses open as possible to play 6 feet apart this is the time to gain broader interest in the game.  Slow play will kill this interest.  See article below:            

https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/sports-leisure/golf-slows-down-2913385/

Some ideas: 

- Always keep pins in, 50 seconds a whole is 15 min a round, so after coronavirus just get rid of the disk. 

- Everyone who can afford it gets a fast distance devise,  yardage front center and back should be available to everyone. 

- Ready golf should be the norm, including putting.  While one player rakes trap, others should be putting 

- Course marshals should refrain from always pointing out beginners but also push single  and double digit handicaps that playing slowly

- Experiment with reversing the 9's at some courses.  I frequent a course that has very tough but fun 15-16-17-18.  At times when those are on front 9 players are fresher  and seem to do better

- When available green maps showing elevations could be distributed through electronic copies. This could reduce time in figuring out where to hit approach shots, possibly 

- Every good golfer when asked what someone should do to improve? Encourage group and private lessons.

THOUGHTS AND IDEAS?               

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

On the whole, I agree that slow play is a problem in golf. As a new father, I can't really justify going out and playing a full round of golf when it'll be 5-6 hours on the course with travel time. I find depending on who I am with is a big factor in how long my round takes as well. For example, my dad and I can easily get a round in 3 to 3.5 hours on a weekend prime time. He taught me to always play ready golf, give gimmes when it's close enough, and always be moving even when a complete beginner. When I play with one of my friends, however, it's never been shorter than 5.5 hours with him. He reads every putt, takes his full time prepping his shot, and waits for people to clear even if he can't reach them.

So, based on your points, I completely agree with the idea of ready golf and leaving the pin in. This will help prevent people who are putting like it's the final round of the Master's. It all comes down to course marshals in my opinion. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a marshal actually do something to speed up a group, regardless of age or skill level.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally leave the flag in the hole no matter what.  One thing that I've done to speed things up one player at a time is to go out of my way to thank slower players who let faster players play through.  I've had situations where a couple players are obviously new to the game, and were taking a while to play.  They waved us through, and I stopped as we were going by and thanked them for their consideration, and told them there were a lot of experienced players out there who could learn from them.  Made them feel good, and hopefully they'll do this again, and pass the thanks on to others in the future when they are the faster ones.  I fix ball marks and whatnot on the greens while others are lining up their putts.  Pick up the chipping clubs they have lying around while they're putting so we can all walk off the green more quickly.  and suggest ready golf as much as possible.  Generally, if someone sees some "reward" for being aware of playing time, it'll be better for everyone.

Agree. 

Leave the flag in.

I'd like to see more clubs have GPS in the carts, with front/middle/back distances and put yardage on every sprinkler. Less time digging for the scope, walking over to the yardage marker (if there are any) less time hitting more shots because you went short or long. 

Ready golf within reason. No reason to wait for the guy to that just skulled hist bunker shot across the green into another bunker to rake it up and hit his next shot. He's not offended if you putt. It's a worse feeling having people wait for you and rushing you. Should be let the furthest person shoot first if they are ready to shoot, but if they arent even at their ball or havent found it, then fire away if safe to do so.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

46 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

I'd like to see more clubs have GPS in the carts, with front/middle/back distances and put yardage on every sprinkler. Less time digging for the scope, walking over to the yardage marker (if there are any) less time hitting more shots because you went short or long. 

What if you don't take a cart and walk?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What if you don't take a cart and walk?

I usually find people that walk to play fairly quickly. You have all your clubs right there. Generally less likely to be messing with the cart girl and wiping cheetos dust off your fingers. And the scope is quick since you are not getting out, looking for it in the bag, then realizing you left in the cup holder. I'm more organized when I walk and can scope a yardage without holding anyone up.

But what would help, is having every sprinkler marked with yardages to the center. Courses are so variable right now. Some just have a 150 yard stake. I see plates at 100, 150, 200. Some place have some sprinklers marked and some not so you are walking around the 4 different ones to find the right number and then counting it back to your ball. Just mark them all. And ensure the markings are readable. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

4 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

I usually find people that walk to play fairly quickly. You have all your clubs right there. Generally less likely to be messing with the cart girl and wiping cheetos dust off your fingers. And the scope is quick since you are not getting out, looking for it in the bag, then realizing you left in the cup holder. I'm more organized when I walk and can scope a yardage without holding anyone up.

Maybe I am too organized,  all my stuff that isn't in my pocket is easily accessible in my bag.  Or it could be that I don't use a rangefinder;   I just use a GPS that provides front/middle/back distances.  Pull it out of my pocket read some numbers then pick a club.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It’s strange to me that some people will wait for someone else to take the bunker, walk to their ball, line up and putt. A lot of the things that shove done to speed up play are things that really should be the normal way of playing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I liked the Seminole motto that was shared on the broadcast this weekend, "Play well, play fast. Play poorly, play faster" (or something like that). Whether I shoot in the low 100's or the low 80's, I'm usually wrapping up in the same amount of time. It's not always the case, but pretty close on average. You can joke that DJ was daydreaming or whatever Sunday, but he was the best example of ready golf in the group.

Also, if you're the guy in your group that's struggling and you need a second to look at your putt after hitting onto the green and still being away, encourage someone else to go. Unless you're playing Bingo, Bango, Bongo or something, where order of play really matters - well... it doesn't matter who goes first.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Buddy and me walked 18 in 3:43 yesterday, and we're both old. Had some waiting on front 9, none on the back. It seems we play just as fast walking as we do riding carts, but carts are a lot easier on old backs and feet. We're glad to have motorized carts again even if it's single rider for now.

The slowest round I've played in the last year wasn't more than 4½ hours, and we're usually right at 4 hours or less. It's been a long, long time since I was stuck in a 5 hour round, knock on wood.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Nothing ruins a round for me than slow play. Just this past weekend we had a first out tee time and got pair with a beginner, which is ok because everyone needs to learn somewhere. The first tee time of the day may not be the best time. We played the front 9 in a little plus of 2 hours. They only played 9 and we got the back done in 70 min.  We did almost all of the above, pin in (had to) if you're ready hit, I have a GPS watch and when we'd pull up to his ball I'd give him middle distance and we moved pace of play up

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, Apes44 said:

Nothing ruins a round for me than slow play. Just this past weekend we had a first out tee time and got pair with a beginner, which is ok because everyone needs to learn somewhere. The first tee time of the day may not be the best time. We played the front 9 in a little plus of 2 hours. They only played 9 and we got the back done in 70 min.  We did almost all of the above, pin in (had to) if you're ready hit, I have a GPS watch and when we'd pull up to his ball I'd give him middle distance and we moved pace of play up

Sorry to bring this topic back to back to life after a few weeks, but I figured it was better than creating an entirely new post..

I'm a beginner at golf for sure. I've always been interested in the game, but decided to take it seriously and invest in an entry level set for lessons/range/practice. I've taken a good number of private lessons to understand the basics and have spent a ridiculous amount of time at the range practicing. My issue is that I have very few friends who play and dont have much time to get rounds in. I'm itching to play 18, but I'm worried about not being very good and getting thrown into a group of impatient pros. I've read up on course etiquette and have played enough rounds to know how to carry myself. I'm all about keeping pace, playing quickly, being ready to hit, and I have no problem picking my ball up and moving ahead if necessary.

I guess what I'm asking is how comfortable or uncomfortable would some of the better players here feel if they were placed in a tee time with a beginner like me? I really want to play, but I usually end up at the range out of fear of ruining someone's round. I think I could shoot in the low 100s if I took my time, but my main concern is getting a chance to play 18.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, MFred1283 said:

Sorry to bring this topic back to back to life after a few weeks, but I figured it was better than creating an entirely new post..

I'm a beginner at golf for sure. I've always been interested in the game, but decided to take it seriously and invest in an entry level set for lessons/range/practice. I've taken a good number of private lessons to understand the basics and have spent a ridiculous amount of time at the range practicing. My issue is that I have very few friends who play and dont have much time to get rounds in. I'm itching to play 18, but I'm worried about not being very good and getting thrown into a group of impatient pros. I've read up on course etiquette and have played enough rounds to know how to carry myself. I'm all about keeping pace, playing quickly, being ready to hit, and I have no problem picking my ball up and moving ahead if necessary.

I guess what I'm asking is how comfortable or uncomfortable would some of the better players here feel if they were placed in a tee time with a beginner like me? I really want to play, but I usually end up at the range out of fear of ruining someone's round. I think I could shoot in the low 100s if I took my time, but my main concern is getting a chance to play 18.

Everyone is different.  I'm a decent player, I've played for over 50 years, and I'd have no problem being paired with you, based on what you've written.  I definitely suggest that you tell your playing partners that you're new to the game, and ask them to help you to understand the right procedures.  Every one of us was a beginner at one time, every one of us did stuff wrong at one time, so I believe every one of us should help new players learn how to do things right.  

Again, everyone is different.  I guarantee that there are some folks who would have a different attitude from mine.  I don't like it, I don't think its appropriate, but I know they're out there.  But that's on them, not on you.  If you're taking care of the course, and playing at a reasonable pace, that's all you should be expected to do.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Everyone is different.  I'm a decent player, I've played for over 50 years, and I'd have no problem being paired with you, based on what you've written.  I definitely suggest that you tell your playing partners that you're new to the game, and ask them to help you to understand the right procedures.  Every one of us was a beginner at one time, every one of us did stuff wrong at one time, so I believe every one of us should help new players learn how to do things right.  

Again, everyone is different.  I guarantee that there are some folks who would have a different attitude from mine.  I don't like it, I don't think its appropriate, but I know they're out there.  But that's on them, not on you.  If you're taking care of the course, and playing at a reasonable pace, that's all you should be expected to do.

Thanks for the input! I try my best to do everything right when I'm out there, including repairing divots/ball marks and not wasting time searching for a lost ball. Being on the course is just an awesome experience, but i'm well aware my game needs more improvement before I can hold my own out there. I've been working hard and seeing results, but the range hardly satisfies the itch to play..

3 hours ago, MFred1283 said:

Like I said everyone has to learn sometime. If when you introduce yourself and say “hey I’m new at this and still learning” I’ll be glad to play with you. Take what everyone said in here, play ready golf, leave pin in, go to your ball, be ready to hit, etc. If you do that anyone who has an issue is just a jerk. 

Also the course you play makes a difference, we have a local muni that if you go there, you know that it’s a slower pace of play because there are people learning.

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

3 hours ago, MFred1283 said:

I have no issue playing with anybody.

You are on the right track. My experience is that 95% of the people don't care what you shoot or how you play if you keep up. And there are many out there who would encourage you no matter what as a beginner.

I played with @PMookie this year in Santa Barbara. We get to the first tee and are paired with 2 60+ women. We look at each other and just shrug. After about 2 holes we could tell it wouldn't be a problem at all. They hit their shot and moved on to the next one. Never did we get behind nor were they ever in our way. I am not sure what they shot but it was over 100 and all 4 of us enjoyed the round and company. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I have no issue playing with anybody.

You are on the right track. My experience is that 95% of the people don't care what you shoot or how you play if you keep up. And there are many out there who would encourage you no matter what as a beginner.

I played with @PMookie this year in Santa Barbara. We get to the first tee and are paired with 2 60+ women. We look at each other and just shrug. After about 2 holes we could tell it wouldn't be a problem at all. They hit their shot and moved on to the next one. Never did we get behind nor were they ever in our way. I am not sure what they shot but it was over 100 and all 4 of us enjoyed the round and company. 

Same, the only people I don't care to play with are slow, or hot heads. Don't care what you mumble to yourself, or even if I can hear you swear/whatever. Smash your club into the ground, or start throwing clubs, then we're going to have problems. Luckily, people in Hawaii are pretty laid back so I haven't really come across it.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

5 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Same, the only people I don't care to play with are slow, or hot heads. Don't care what you mumble to yourself, or even if I can hear you swear/whatever. Smash your club into the ground, or start throwing clubs, then we're going to have problems. Luckily, people in Hawaii are pretty laid back so I haven't really come across it.

I always tell people I'm too poor to throw my clubs. Lol. Those things are expensive. Who wants to go buy a new $100-$500 club just because of 1 bad shot? Worst I do is after I finish putting I might throw my ball...but I tend to throw it either on or in the direction of the next tee box. (those are $4 each...  😜)

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

On 5/4/2020 at 3:00 PM, JK Col said:

THOUGHTS AND IDEAS?   

First thought is that this topic has been discussed numerous times in other threads.  I would suggest searching those for some feedback on this subject.

That said, I'm all for crisp pace but I gotta say that there seems to be a bit too much emphasis on the whole speed of play thing.  It's gotten to the point on some courses, and with some people, to have become a how fast can we play contest.  I've more or less adopted the leave the pin in change unless it's a close range putt and the wind is whipping the flag around.  The groups I play with have always played ready golf and keep a eye on the group(s) behind to try and pace our play.  If we just spent time looking for a ball, we'll try and pick it up on the green or next tee if we notice the group behind waiting.  

But in recent years, it seems like folks are racing around the course; in some cases trying to outrun the group ahead.  Golf for me is a relaxing sport.  If I'm feeling pressed, I let the group play through. I don't want to feel like I'm running around the track.  I'm beginning to think this trend is reflective of the hyper-pace lifestyles we now live.  We humans are still an analog circuit living in a digital world... I for one hate to see golf turned into race.  Oh, and for those that do, there are a couple of venues to consider. 👍

https://www.playspeedgolf.com/

https://www.speedgolfusa.com/

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 3 weeks later...

1. Leave the Pin in, I've been doing this for years when I'm not playing with anyone else and can walk 18 in under 2 hours at my hilly local course, even faster in a cart.

2. Encourage guys especially the beginners to pick up at double bogey.

3. Tell the beginners it's ok to use the foot wedge or toss a ball out of the bunker you're not going to make the hero shot but you will end up in more trouble. 

4. When the course is crowded the Marshall's need to keep an eye on the party foursomes. Drinking more than a beer a hole can be fun but that and playing spotify slows down those of us who are out there to golf.

• 1 month later...

My home course 4 hour round or better is the standard for weekend, under 4 weekdays in the past.  This year with individual carts the time per round is 3:30-3:45 on weekends.  Tee sheet is booked.  I like the ideas being thrown out flag sticks left in, ready golf is key.  But the each person in a cart I think has really helped speed the game up.  Had a discussion  that they were looking  into 1 person.carts but no good options at this time.  That might be something for the future.  Thoughts?

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

This is why I just play at sunup.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 6/29/2020 at 10:16 AM, Patriots68 said:

1. Leave the Pin in, I've been doing this for years when I'm not playing with anyone else and can walk 18 in under 2 hours at my hilly local course, even faster in a cart.

2. Encourage guys especially the beginners to pick up at double bogey.

3. Tell the beginners it's ok to use the foot wedge or toss a ball out of the bunker you're not going to make the hero shot but you will end up in more trouble. 

4. When the course is crowded the Marshall's need to keep an eye on the party foursomes. Drinking more than a beer a hole can be fun but that and playing spotify slows down those of us who are out there to golf.

Amen to all four of these.  Especially #3 Fluff it up, move it off the hard pan, don't play from the unfilled divot, hand wedge, pocket ball, all of it.  Keep moving and have fun.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

As others have said, we were all beginners at some point, so I don't care what you shoot as long as you move along and don't take yourself/golf too seriously. I don't care if you're a scratch player, if you're slow I'd rather not play with you at all...4 hours max for eighteen.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Ready golf and no extended searches for lost balls, plus taking less than 30 secs to hit a shot, things will move nicely. 

But I don't mind waiting on par 5 or short par 4 if somebody wants to go for the green and has to wait for the green to clear.   Have at it, life is short.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on what time of day I (a beginner) should play? I've been at this for about 2 years now with a ton of range time and only about 7/8 full rounds under my belt (working on breaking 100). I've had great experiences so far with the first tee time of the day, but would it benefit me to play twilight? I always keep pace, understand etiquette and I've been lucky to play with understanding golfers thus far. 

14 minutes ago, MFred1283 said:

Any thoughts on what time of day I (a beginner) should play? I've been at this for about 2 years now with a ton of range time and only about 7/8 full rounds under my belt (working on breaking 100). I've had great experiences so far with the first tee time of the day, but would it benefit me to play twilight? I always keep pace, understand etiquette and I've been lucky to play with understanding golfers thus far. 

IIMHO the morning golfers are more serious, more experienced,  they got the set tee times, a skins game going, they play faster. Its like a freeway, Keep it moving or get run over.  

Plsying in the twilight, after the leagues are done, is like being on a country road. There are more singles, young people, families, people who are just practicing.  I go out late alone and I never care how fast or slow the group in front of me is playing,  I only care about who is behind me. If its clear behind me, i can play multiple shots, experiment, practice the short game, etc. 

Really it is good to do it both ways, find the competive group to play with, and make time to have the practice rounds too.

I agree that the early morning is all about play and pace. Though the caution is some of those groups everything inside 8 ft. is a gimmie, because they're more concerned with that sub 3 hour round time than playing golf. Late night is better for on course practice by far. Plenty of time for more putts and second shots. Sunday evenings are also exceptional. Actually once football starts wait for the local team to kickoff and go. The course will be empty.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

One things my friends and I do is when we hit a ball in the tall grass, woods, etc. as long as another player agrees with the general area the ball was at, we take a free drop in that area. Allows you to look briefly but not have to worry about losing a stroke on a ball that you know isn’t OB or something like that. Helps with limiting those extended search times.

Ready golf and no extended searches for lost balls, plus taking less than 30 secs to hit a shot, things will move nicely. 
But I don't mind waiting on par 5 or short par 4 if somebody wants to go for the green and has to wait for the green to clear.   Have at it, life is short.

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Handicap: 7