TESTERS WANTED! ×

Speeding up the game, one player at a time

On 6/9/2020 at 2:15 PM, MFred1283 said:

Sorry to bring this topic back to back to life after a few weeks, but I figured it was better than creating an entirely new post..

I'm a beginner at golf for sure. I've always been interested in the game, but decided to take it seriously and invest in an entry level set for lessons/range/practice. I've taken a good number of private lessons to understand the basics and have spent a ridiculous amount of time at the range practicing. My issue is that I have very few friends who play and dont have much time to get rounds in. I'm itching to play 18, but I'm worried about not being very good and getting thrown into a group of impatient pros. I've read up on course etiquette and have played enough rounds to know how to carry myself. I'm all about keeping pace, playing quickly, being ready to hit, and I have no problem picking my ball up and moving ahead if necessary.

I guess what I'm asking is how comfortable or uncomfortable would some of the better players here feel if they were placed in a tee time with a beginner like me? I really want to play, but I usually end up at the range out of fear of ruining someone's round. I think I could shoot in the low 100s if I took my time, but my main concern is getting a chance to play 18.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've found through my own personal experience that better players tend to be more welcoming of newbies and those at a lower skill level (especially if they can keep pace) and I'm the same way. I don't care how "good" you are as long as you can keep pace and are enjoyable to be around.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

18 hours ago, Jhigdon13 said:

One things my friends and I do is when we hit a ball in the tall grass, woods, etc. as long as another player agrees with the general area the ball was at, we take a free drop in that area. Allows you to look briefly but not have to worry about losing a stroke on a ball that you know isn’t OB or something like that. Helps with limiting those extended search times.

That's great at keeping handicaps low too!  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Sun up is cool if you like to play on a wet course. I hate it.
In mid-summer it's not bad, but yes spring and fall can be rough.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

18 hours ago, silver & black said:

True, but I would hope you wouldn't turn those types of rounds in for HC. Just out playing for a good time... cool. Not a round to turn in for HC...IMO.

You certainly could turn those scores in, and SHOULD do so, as long as you score those holes appropriately.  You can post a score using Local Rule E-5 (for lost or OB), even when the local rule isn't specifically in effect.  So you can gain the pace of play benefits of dropping a ball instead of going back, while still keeping an acceptable score.  The only thing that @Jhigdon13's procedure does is that it allows the golfer to escape the scoring consequences of a poor shot.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 9/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, MFred1283 said:

Any thoughts on what time of day I (a beginner) should play? I've been at this for about 2 years now with a ton of range time and only about 7/8 full rounds under my belt (working on breaking 100). I've had great experiences so far with the first tee time of the day, but would it benefit me to play twilight? I always keep pace, understand etiquette and I've been lucky to play with understanding golfers thus far. 

Great question. When my sons were learning to play full rounds for their junior golf tournaments (PGAJL and USKIDS) I would always call the pro-shop and inquire. Would explain my situation that we were walking and I was caddying/teaching. Just about always was able to get on course and play/have time to teach as we went. I emphasized pace of play with my boys but still was able to teach due to planning ahead.  Maybe you could reach out and inquire when are some good times that you can play without fear of being rushed. Learning requires some time/thought with your shots, approach to learning course management, etc. I would try to play when the course is not too crowded. And you can always let people play through. Good luck. 

• 4 weeks later...

As a beginner, I always played twilight golf. Course was cheaper, and I'd usually get paired with other, less experienced golfers. I find early morning golfers to be more serious, and the course management is also a little more eager to push things along, because a slow early-morning group can/will ruin the entire day for dozens of other groups.  Also, as a beginner, don't be shy about improving your lie a little, especially in thick rough or behind trees, etc. You're primarily there to have fun and improve your swing. The high degree of difficulty shots can wait until you can consistently make contact with the ball from the fairway.

Regarding the instruction, that's great you take your kids out, but please, for the love of all that is holy, teach them to let others play through. I've been stuck behind dads or coaches teaching kids several times, and damned if they act like they never ever saw me, then stare daggers at me when I skip past them after being behind them for several holes.

My preferred method for playing through is to have everyone tee off, then the person playing through goes to their ball and goes ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any worse feeling than shanking a tee shot after trying to play through a group and on the other side is there any better feeling than striping a drive down the middle in front of a random group of guys?

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

5 minutes ago, TCUFrog said:

Is there any worse feeling than shanking a tee shot after trying to play through a group and on the other side is there any better feeling than striping a drive down the middle in front of a random group of guys?

True story.... Really.

A few weeks ago our foursome hit off the tee on a short par 4. All balls were in play roughly about 60 yards from the green. A single pulls up and we let him play through. We told him we hit already but he can play through. He duffs one, tees up another then duck hooks it, then drives up to the ball about 50 yards and duffs the next shot. Finally hits one up left side of the fairway just in the rough 50 yards shy of the green, hits one close to the green then proceeds to pick up our balls and drives off to the green. Needless to say the chase was on. He didn't get far but he was clueless about what he did. There is a big difference between a Top Flight and Titleist,and TaylorMade premium balls. (other than they all begin with a "T")  You tee off with one ball and plan on leaving the green with five?

On the other hand there is nothing like a group letting you play through and you smoke your drive to a perfect spot and then the group gives you the golf clap and asks you to hit one for them. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Doesn’t matter how good you are, as long as you keep up. When teaching my wife to play(suicidal, I know) I had her tee off from 150 yard stake until she could hit a driver that far, and pickup at +5. Nothing is worse for a beginner golfer than feeling rushed or hurried: just let groups play thru! It’s good karma, liking fixing more than one divot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

10 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

True story.... Really.

A few weeks ago our foursome hit off the tee on a short par 4. All balls were in play roughly about 60 yards from the green. A single pulls up and we let him play through. We told him we hit already but he can play through. He duffs one, tees up another then duck hooks it, then drives up to the ball about 50 yards and duffs the next shot. Finally hits one up left side of the fairway just in the rough 50 yards shy of the green, hits one close to the green then proceeds to pick up our balls and drives off to the green. Needless to say the chase was on. He didn't get far but he was clueless about what he did. There is a big difference between a Top Flight and Titleist,and TaylorMade premium balls. (other than they all begin with a "T")  You tee off with one ball and plan on leaving the green with five?

On the other hand there is nothing like a group letting you play through and you smoke your drive to a perfect spot and then the group gives you the golf clap and asks you to hit one for them. 

I would have been so mad at that guy! Oh my. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg