Speeding up the game, one player at a time

Our Sponsors

1. Leave the Pin in, I've been doing this for years when I'm not playing with anyone else and can walk 18 in under 2 hours at my hilly local course, even faster in a cart.

2. Encourage guys especially the beginners to pick up at double bogey.

3. Tell the beginners it's ok to use the foot wedge or toss a ball out of the bunker you're not going to make the hero shot but you will end up in more trouble. 

4. When the course is crowded the Marshall's need to keep an eye on the party foursomes. Drinking more than a beer a hole can be fun but that and playing spotify slows down those of us who are out there to golf.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone is different.  I'm a decent player, I've played for over 50 years, and I'd have no problem being paired with you, based on what you've written.  I definitely suggest that you tell your playin

As others have said, we were all beginners at some point, so I don't care what you shoot as long as you move along and don't take yourself/golf too seriously. I don't care if you're a scratch player,

Hey viking, is that you?

My home course 4 hour round or better is the standard for weekend, under 4 weekdays in the past.  This year with individual carts the time per round is 3:30-3:45 on weekends.  Tee sheet is booked.  I like the ideas being thrown out flag sticks left in, ready golf is key.  But the each person in a cart I think has really helped speed the game up.  Had a discussion  that they were looking  into 1 person.carts but no good options at this time.  That might be something for the future.  Thoughts?

Driver Taylor Made M4

MP 57 Irons

Ping Putter

On 6/29/2020 at 10:16 AM, Patriots68 said:

1. Leave the Pin in, I've been doing this for years when I'm not playing with anyone else and can walk 18 in under 2 hours at my hilly local course, even faster in a cart.

2. Encourage guys especially the beginners to pick up at double bogey.

3. Tell the beginners it's ok to use the foot wedge or toss a ball out of the bunker you're not going to make the hero shot but you will end up in more trouble. 

4. When the course is crowded the Marshall's need to keep an eye on the party foursomes. Drinking more than a beer a hole can be fun but that and playing spotify slows down those of us who are out there to golf.

Amen to all four of these.  Especially #3 Fluff it up, move it off the hard pan, don't play from the unfilled divot, hand wedge, pocket ball, all of it.  Keep moving and have fun.

• Like 1

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

As others have said, we were all beginners at some point, so I don't care what you shoot as long as you move along and don't take yourself/golf too seriously. I don't care if you're a scratch player, if you're slow I'd rather not play with you at all...4 hours max for eighteen.

• Like 5
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

Ready golf and no extended searches for lost balls, plus taking less than 30 secs to hit a shot, things will move nicely. 

But I don't mind waiting on par 5 or short par 4 if somebody wants to go for the green and has to wait for the green to clear.   Have at it, life is short.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on what time of day I (a beginner) should play? I've been at this for about 2 years now with a ton of range time and only about 7/8 full rounds under my belt (working on breaking 100). I've had great experiences so far with the first tee time of the day, but would it benefit me to play twilight? I always keep pace, understand etiquette and I've been lucky to play with understanding golfers thus far. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, MFred1283 said:

Any thoughts on what time of day I (a beginner) should play? I've been at this for about 2 years now with a ton of range time and only about 7/8 full rounds under my belt (working on breaking 100). I've had great experiences so far with the first tee time of the day, but would it benefit me to play twilight? I always keep pace, understand etiquette and I've been lucky to play with understanding golfers thus far. 

IIMHO the morning golfers are more serious, more experienced,  they got the set tee times, a skins game going, they play faster. Its like a freeway, Keep it moving or get run over.  

Plsying in the twilight, after the leagues are done, is like being on a country road. There are more singles, young people, families, people who are just practicing.  I go out late alone and I never care how fast or slow the group in front of me is playing,  I only care about who is behind me. If its clear behind me, i can play multiple shots, experiment, practice the short game, etc. 

Really it is good to do it both ways, find the competive group to play with, and make time to have the practice rounds too.

• Like 1

I agree that the early morning is all about play and pace. Though the caution is some of those groups everything inside 8 ft. is a gimmie, because they're more concerned with that sub 3 hour round time than playing golf. Late night is better for on course practice by far. Plenty of time for more putts and second shots. Sunday evenings are also exceptional. Actually once football starts wait for the local team to kickoff and go. The course will be empty.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 2

One things my friends and I do is when we hit a ball in the tall grass, woods, etc. as long as another player agrees with the general area the ball was at, we take a free drop in that area. Allows you to look briefly but not have to worry about losing a stroke on a ball that you know isn’t OB or something like that. Helps with limiting those extended search times.

Ready golf and no extended searches for lost balls, plus taking less than 30 secs to hit a shot, things will move nicely. 
But I don't mind waiting on par 5 or short par 4 if somebody wants to go for the green and has to wait for the green to clear.   Have at it, life is short.

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Handicap: 7
  • Like 1
On 6/9/2020 at 2:15 PM, MFred1283 said:

Sorry to bring this topic back to back to life after a few weeks, but I figured it was better than creating an entirely new post..

I'm a beginner at golf for sure. I've always been interested in the game, but decided to take it seriously and invest in an entry level set for lessons/range/practice. I've taken a good number of private lessons to understand the basics and have spent a ridiculous amount of time at the range practicing. My issue is that I have very few friends who play and dont have much time to get rounds in. I'm itching to play 18, but I'm worried about not being very good and getting thrown into a group of impatient pros. I've read up on course etiquette and have played enough rounds to know how to carry myself. I'm all about keeping pace, playing quickly, being ready to hit, and I have no problem picking my ball up and moving ahead if necessary.

I guess what I'm asking is how comfortable or uncomfortable would some of the better players here feel if they were placed in a tee time with a beginner like me? I really want to play, but I usually end up at the range out of fear of ruining someone's round. I think I could shoot in the low 100s if I took my time, but my main concern is getting a chance to play 18.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've found through my own personal experience that better players tend to be more welcoming of newbies and those at a lower skill level (especially if they can keep pace) and I'm the same way. I don't care how "good" you are as long as you can keep pace and are enjoyable to be around.

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

18 hours ago, Jhigdon13 said:

One things my friends and I do is when we hit a ball in the tall grass, woods, etc. as long as another player agrees with the general area the ball was at, we take a free drop in that area. Allows you to look briefly but not have to worry about losing a stroke on a ball that you know isn’t OB or something like that. Helps with limiting those extended search times.

That's great at keeping handicaps low too!  

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

21 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

That's great at keeping handicaps low too!  

True, but I would hope you wouldn't turn those types of rounds in for HC. Just out playing for a good time... cool. Not a round to turn in for HC...IMO.

18 hours ago, silver & black said:

True, but I would hope you wouldn't turn those types of rounds in for HC. Just out playing for a good time... cool. Not a round to turn in for HC...IMO.

You certainly could turn those scores in, and SHOULD do so, as long as you score those holes appropriately.  You can post a score using Local Rule E-5 (for lost or OB), even when the local rule isn't specifically in effect.  So you can gain the pace of play benefits of dropping a ball instead of going back, while still keeping an acceptable score.  The only thing that @Jhigdon13's procedure does is that it allows the golfer to escape the scoring consequences of a poor shot.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 9/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, MFred1283 said:

Great question. When my sons were learning to play full rounds for their junior golf tournaments (PGAJL and USKIDS) I would always call the pro-shop and inquire. Would explain my situation that we were walking and I was caddying/teaching. Just about always was able to get on course and play/have time to teach as we went. I emphasized pace of play with my boys but still was able to teach due to planning ahead.  Maybe you could reach out and inquire when are some good times that you can play without fear of being rushed. Learning requires some time/thought with your shots, approach to learning course management, etc. I would try to play when the course is not too crowded. And you can always let people play through. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

As a beginner, I always played twilight golf. Course was cheaper, and I'd usually get paired with other, less experienced golfers. I find early morning golfers to be more serious, and the course management is also a little more eager to push things along, because a slow early-morning group can/will ruin the entire day for dozens of other groups.  Also, as a beginner, don't be shy about improving your lie a little, especially in thick rough or behind trees, etc. You're primarily there to have fun and improve your swing. The high degree of difficulty shots can wait until you can consistently make contact with the ball from the fairway.

Regarding the instruction, that's great you take your kids out, but please, for the love of all that is holy, teach them to let others play through. I've been stuck behind dads or coaches teaching kids several times, and damned if they act like they never ever saw me, then stare daggers at me when I skip past them after being behind them for several holes.

My preferred method for playing through is to have everyone tee off, then the person playing through goes to their ball and goes ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any worse feeling than shanking a tee shot after trying to play through a group and on the other side is there any better feeling than striping a drive down the middle in front of a random group of guys?

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M6, 9.0, Tensei CK Orange 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, Rocket 13.0, Atmos Red 60, Stiff

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour, 4-PW, True Temper Dynamic gold S300

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4, 52.0, 56.0, 60.0 - S grind

:taylormade-small: Spider Mini

:bridgestone-small: Tour-RX

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

5 minutes ago, TCUFrog said:

Is there any worse feeling than shanking a tee shot after trying to play through a group and on the other side is there any better feeling than striping a drive down the middle in front of a random group of guys?

True story.... Really.

A few weeks ago our foursome hit off the tee on a short par 4. All balls were in play roughly about 60 yards from the green. A single pulls up and we let him play through. We told him we hit already but he can play through. He duffs one, tees up another then duck hooks it, then drives up to the ball about 50 yards and duffs the next shot. Finally hits one up left side of the fairway just in the rough 50 yards shy of the green, hits one close to the green then proceeds to pick up our balls and drives off to the green. Needless to say the chase was on. He didn't get far but he was clueless about what he did. There is a big difference between a Top Flight and Titleist,and TaylorMade premium balls. (other than they all begin with a "T")  You tee off with one ball and plan on leaving the green with five?

On the other hand there is nothing like a group letting you play through and you smoke your drive to a perfect spot and then the group gives you the golf clap and asks you to hit one for them. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"