TESTERS WANTED! ×

Range Day Routine

Hey guys. I'm a longtime member of MGS, follow them on all the social media platforms and very thankful all the great info they give us. My question to the community is what does your typical range day routine look like? I try to go 1-2 times a week after work, and do my best to hit off the grass tees as the place i go to has both grass and turf. I feel thats very important for a true feel at least for me. I like to start with a wedge, to a 7, to a 5, to a hybrid or wood and then Driver. I will mix in other clubs but thats just a basic order from wedges down to driver. I dont really tend to aim at one thing out there too much which I feel I should start to do more of besides just swinging with no target. Anyways I'm pretty interested in other ideas for the range as I dont want to get stale out there an i am sure you all have some great routines to hear about. Thanks look forward to it! So happy California has opened the courses back up!

That’s a solid routine. I spend most my time with my wedge on a chipping green. If I have it to myself, I’ll hit shots to all 4 flags and won’t move on until I get up and down. It’s a stroke saver. 

:ping-small: G410, 9°, Tensei Orange 70-S
:adams-small: Tight Lies, 16°, Bassara 55-S
:adams-small: Idea Tech Boxer a40S 4 hybrid, Tour AD 65-R
:callaway-small:  X-20 Tour 4I-PW, Project X 5.5
:mizuno-small: MP-T4 50°, True Temper
:cleveland-small: 588 56°, stock
:nike-small: SV 60°, stock
:scotty-small: Newport 2 Notchback, Flat Cat grip
vice.png.4b217c198888a58207ae8084550b589d.pngPro balls

I warm up with my 8 iron then cycle through like I'm playing for real. For example I'll hit a driver, then a 9 aiming at a target. Then start over with a tee shot.  I mix it up like it would be on the course. If I'm working on something specific I will focus on that and not cycle as much. Then it's off to the practice green for the short game!

I like this post. Usually work with my 54 then down using odds down to 5. 4-5 balls each to get loose. Then it’s driver work for about 15. After that I visualize my home course and play through the holes using targets on the range. If it’s a bad shot I’ll hit what would most likely reflect the type of recovery shot I would face. If I hit multiple bad shots I will stop and try to sort things out. I think it helps keep things fresh and I can always play any course in my mind

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

7 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

I warm up with my 8 iron then cycle through like I'm playing for real. For example I'll hit a driver, then a 9 aiming at a target. Then start over with a tee shot.  I mix it up like it would be on the course. If I'm working on something specific I will focus on that and not cycle as much. Then it's off to the practice green for the short game!

This is my preferred method as well. It seems to help out with the mental game while working on the swing.

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

My range routine has always been to start with my 52 and work up the bag.

If it’s a warm up prior to a round I’ll put most time into that wedge and work this routine:

I’ll start at 100 yards and hit five balls to that target. Next I’ll hit five to the 75 yard target and then to 50 and finish at 25.

This drill helps me sync my body with my arms and the club. I hit this club more than any besides my putter during a round and if it’s feeling good, this grooving really helps me get my body working.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

A bit in the weeds but there are a few things to make your range session more productive. The Practice Manual is a great book if you want to read about how your brain learns, and drills to improve more quickly.

I try to avoid block practice, which is swinging the same club to the same target over and over bc that’s not how golf is played. However, thats the best kind of practice to learn a move or feel, especially in slow motion reps w/o a ball then a rep with a ball, then a normal swing. I do things like try to take a divot of the same shape 10 times in a row, or strike the sweet spot 10 times in a row if I’m doing block practice.

I like to do Tiger’s drill of one club 9 ball flights from low to high and draw to fade. I also like to “play golf” by changing clubs after every shot, picking a target, choosing a shape, and going through my routine. Finally I like to experiment, like try to hit a monster slice, or a toe ball, and feel what those swings feel like. An awareness of these things can help you get a round back on track.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I start with one of my wedges. Couple warm up shots not aiming just swinging getting loose. After that I use my SKLZ gold flex to get real loose. I then in sequence:

4iron-5 shots

8iron-5 shots

5 iron-5 shots

9 iron-5 shots

6iron-5 shots

PW-5 shots

7iron-5 shots

I choose multiple targets during this whether a flag or tree, as long as its a target.

I then go through my driver and hybrids hitting 5-10 balls once I get a few pokes in a row.

After that go through the bag using up the rest of the balls again choosing random objects and do multiple shots with 1/2, 3/4 and full swings.

I end with the driver hitting multiple balls usually around 10 balls.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Building off what took from my lessons. I start with 5 shots with my sw with feet together to get body turning. Shoulders mostly. Then stand one one foot then other for 3 each, again to get turning/shoulders moving.
I try to hit 3/5 “good” shots with each club. What’s good to me is solid contact , ball in the air, and in the fairway.. no hooks or burners. Then off to the chipping and putting area chip to different distances , bump and runs etc.. the. Putting at minimum 30 putts of various lengths to different holes. Usually take an hour to do as trying to focus on good mechanics.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I practice a lot, as I live a Driver and 8 iron from my clubs driving range. I used to show up and hit randomly with whatever clubs I grabbed out of the bag.

Today, my practice looks much different and always has a purpose. Sometimes depends on what kind of swing issues I had during my last round.

But, here's the typical routine: (provided I have time)

• Start with 54* wedge on the chipping green - hit approx 25 balls to various holes
  • Start with same wedge or PW on driving range hitting 8-10 pitch shots to various targets in the 80-90 yard range (but ALWAYS at a target and specific distances)
  • 5-10 full PW's at a desired distance target
  • 8-10 full 8 irons at target
  • 5-8 full 5 or 4 irons at target
  • 5-8 Drivers or 3 Woods at target. I typically pick 2 trees in the distance and imagine there's a fairway between them that I want to hit
  • 10-20 variety shots with one or multiple clubs above. I like to hit different types of shots in this portion of my practice session. EX-I'll hit stingers with 4-5 iron. I'll choke down a bit and hit 8 iron knock downs to shorter distances, really focusing on the type of shot I want to hit....typical baby fades into short flags
  • 10-20 mins on putting green with 2-4 balls. On game days, I always and only putt with one ball to different holes. I do this to get a feel for green speeds for that day.

I use aiming sticks a lot to work on target and aiming. Sometimes, I stick an aiming stick in the ground approx 5 yards in front of me, on my target line and hit shots starting the ball left and then right of the stick. 

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

I start by swinging two clubs one in each hand. The goal is to ensure the clubs stay four inches apart without clanking together at any point throughout the swing. This keeps the flying elbow from coming along for the warm up.

I then go to wedges hitting at say 30% swing speed half swings. After a few balls I move through my bag up to 7 iron hitting smooth 30% half shots. Once I complete warm up with my 7 iron I’m ready for full shots. If I’m playing I normally head to the first tee. If I’m practicing I go to my driver and play pretend holes never hitting the same club twice in a row. If I hit a really bad shot with any one club I will take a mulligan with that club.

I really try not to stand and just pound the same club over and over again.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 5/4/2020 at 11:44 PM, 2puttbogey said:

Yes! I do this exact same thing. I try to simulate that I am playing and then imagine a couple holes from the course to really get me focused. I feel I get bored if I hit the same club repeatedly and that's not how golf is really played.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

If I’m just going to the range, it is as follows. Warm up and stretch. I then hit 7-8 shots of the following: AW, 9 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, and 5 wood. Then I spend a little more time on the driver with about 10-15 shots depending on how I’m hitting it. I tend to go a little too much out to in sometimes with my fade on the driver, so I work on some drills with putting tees on the outside of my driver head at set up to make sure I’m not swinging out too much. Then I go down to my 56 and 60 degree shots and work on those at different ranges. After that, I head to chipping green if I have time to practice different shots.

if I’m playing that day too, I might bring 4 clubs: 56 degree, AW, 7 iron, and driver. I hit maybe 20 shots total just to get loose and then I go to the chipping/putting greens.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I'll pick something to work on before I get to the range. I don't have a ton of time to practice so, I like to focus on the thing that's giving me trouble.

I start at the SW and get the feel and flight I'm looking for. I pay close attention to the divot and the height of the ball. Usually when those two things are good the swing and tempo are good enough..

Then, I'll move into a mid iron and do the same, looking at the ground interaction and flight of the ball.

Once everything is feeling pretty good, I'll spend some time on the Driver and long game. (30% of my time)

Then, I'll work on the part of my game that's giving me trouble. (30% of my time)

Finally, I'll finish with putting and short game, making sure I hit 50-100 4 foot putts before I leave. (40% of my time)

I only go to the range when I am having a problem with a specific club like my 3 wood.  I start my session with my shortest club and work my way up to my longest club but skipping every other club.  So even numbers going up to the driver then odd numbers going back down.  Usually hit about 3 to 5 balls each.  Once I am done with that then I will go back to the problem club and hit a few.  I dont like to hit more than 5 or 6 in a row with the same club. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

My routine looked very similar to yours.  I would spend a while on the range until one day our pro and I were talking and he gave me a tip and I feel it works a bit better.  He told me not to practice on the range, but to go practice on the course.  Will you crank out a ton of swings in a short amount of time...no.  What playing does, is put you in the REAL situations shot after shot after shot.  If forces you to hit a tee shot, an approach shot short game and putting, all while working on your mental game as well.  The range you tend to just try to grove a swing with no pressure.  That is not golf.  He told me I was better off spending an hour playing a few holes instead.  I like it better for me, the range can get boring.  That's just me. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/4/2020 at 8:24 PM, Golfjesus said:

Hey guys. I'm a longtime member of MGS, follow them on all the social media platforms and very thankful all the great info they give us. My question to the community is what does your typical range day routine look like? I try to go 1-2 times a week after work, and do my best to hit off the grass tees as the place i go to has both grass and turf. I feel thats very important for a true feel at least for me. I like to start with a wedge, to a 7, to a 5, to a hybrid or wood and then Driver. I will mix in other clubs but thats just a basic order from wedges down to driver. I dont really tend to aim at one thing out there too much which I feel I should start to do more of besides just swinging with no target. Anyways I'm pretty interested in other ideas for the range as I dont want to get stale out there an i am sure you all have some great routines to hear about. Thanks look forward to it! So happy California has opened the courses back up!

I found the graphic below a long time ago. It helped me see how some people hit too many drivers. 

I used to get in a groove and hit 10 shots with every club but my game performance didn't match up to my range sessions. So I changed to this routine to make the range closer to actually playing. 

Get loose and warm up with 10-15 shots 20-45yd with a couple wedges. Then loosen up with about 5 3/4 swings at arms at 9pm or parallel to the ground with a PW or 9i to 100-115 yards. That is my short game warm up. 

Next is the 150-165 yds target, 2-3 shots only with a 7 and/or 8i. This is key, no more than two to three shots. Then 5 or 6 iron 2-3 shots. Sometimes alternating between 3/4, 90% and full swings and different shapes. 5-10 balls

5w 2-3 shots, driver 2-3 shots, hybrid 2-3 shots, short iron 2-3, driver, mid iron, wood, chip, approach, driver, mid iron... Etc for 2-3 shots until I hit about 40-50 balls. 

Cool down with the remaining 20-25 balls from 100 yards and in. 

Half my bucket is 100 yards and in. About 10-15 drivers max. And I practice rescue shots with different clubs just before the cool down for about 5-10 shots. These are like 20 yard cuts, low flighted 1/2 swings with a 5 iron. Hybrid punch out from under a tree. 

I try to treat the range time as an extension of playing. 

IMG_20190913_232324_01.jpg

11 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

I found the graphic below a long time ago. It helped me see how some people hit too many drivers. 

I used to get in a groove and hit 10 shots with every club but my game performance didn't match up to my range sessions. So I changed to this routine to make the range closer to actually playing. 

Get loose and warm up with 10-15 shots 20-45yd with a couple wedges. Then loosen up with about 5 3/4 swings at arms at 9pm or parallel to the ground with a PW or 9i to 100-115 yards. That is my short game warm up. 

Next is the 150-165 yds target, 2-3 shots only with a 7 and/or 8i. This is key, no more than two to three shots. Then 5 or 6 iron 2-3 shots. Sometimes alternating between 3/4, 90% and full swings and different shapes. 5-10 balls

5w 2-3 shots, driver 2-3 shots, hybrid 2-3 shots, short iron 2-3, driver, mid iron, wood, chip, approach, driver, mid iron... Etc for 2-3 shots until I hit about 40-50 balls. 

Cool down with the remaining 20-25 balls from 100 yards and in. 

Half my bucket is 100 yards and in. About 10-15 drivers max. And I practice rescue shots with different clubs just before the cool down for about 5-10 shots. These are like 20 yard cuts, low flighted 1/2 swings with a 5 iron. Hybrid punch out from under a tree. 

I try to treat the range time as an extension of playing. 

IMG_20190913_232324_01.jpg

I really like that photo and will definitely try to implement that more on the range. I think two of the most important parts of the game is getting off the tee and limiting the amount of shots around the green (wedges/putts). I think we get caught up in trying to hit close to every club in the bag when you might only use a club once or twice during a round. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

In normal times, I like to get a little after-work practice in about twice a week.  Unless I have a specific problem, I'm working on continuing reinforcement of some swing changes I made a couple of years ago.  MY practice session starts with a trip to the bar for a beer (in a plastic cup).  I do some stretching, some warm-up swings with wedges or short irons.  Most of my time is spent with a mid-iron, 5 or 6.  I'll do some drills that support the specific changes I made, interspersed with some full swings.  I always use alignment sticks to reinforce proper set-up.  I'm really working on set-up, on depth in the backswing, limiting backswing length, good rotation forward, good hand path through and after contact, good rhythm.  That sounds like a lot of things, but they're all kind of connected.  In the end I'll hit a few drivers, maybe a half-dozen, but that's the same swing as all the rest, just a slightly different set-up, and I'll hit a few partial wedges.  I rarely practice putting if I'm not having specific problems, same for chipping.  I find its more productive for me to concentrate on full swings, to minimize the amount I need to rely on my short game.

Oh, back to the beer, remember I got that beer?  I sip it while I'm practicing, it takes maybe 45 minutes, and that's about my attention span.  I'm there to concentrate and practice productively, not to get exercise just swinging.  When the beer is gone, I take my golf shoes off and put the clubs in the trunk.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia