Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Leather Grips? Who has used them

Hey guys fairly new to the forum but curious who has used leather grips and what did you think?  I know they are more expensive but I have also heard they last a lot longer.  What are the other Pros and Cons?  

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

I currently have a set of Gripmaster Signatures on one set of irons and the Gripmaster Kidd's on another.  They are fantastic grips.  Firm and tacky.  REAL tacky, such that it puts some people off.  I choose to play without a glove and these enable you to do so.

Pros:

• Excellent performance in rain and humidity and all other conditions.  Better than anything else I've tried.
  • Really nice on the hands.  You have very good traction without the wear that cords would give, for example. 
  • LONG life. They last forever

Cons:

• They are lighter than the typical grip (46g vs. 52g for a Tour Velvet e.g.). So if you are a swing weight nerd, they will make your swing weight go up about 2 points.  Of course, there are folks that say when you use a lighter grip you are "fooling the scale."  I never understood this.  It's not noticeable to me anyways.
  • They are REAL tacky.  The Signatures more so than the kids.  Like when you put your hand on them and apply pressure, you need to peel your fingers off of them afterwards.  Some people don't like this.

I have also used Best Grips Microperfs in the past.  Those are nice also.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I have tried them on a few occasions. Although they are just as advertised with the tackiness and superb wet grip I find them to be overly firm. So much so that it was a bit tough on my hands. I can be a bit arthritic at times and that didn't help. There may be softer versions but I was using the regular version. One was Gripmaster, can't remember the other.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I currently have a set of Gripmaster Signatures on one set of irons and the Gripmaster Kidd's on another.  They are fantastic grips.  Firm and tacky.  REAL tacky, such that it puts some people off.  I choose to play without a glove and these enable you to do so.

Pros:

• Excellent performance in rain and humidity and all other conditions.  Better than anything else I've tried.
  • Really nice on the hands.  You have very good traction without the wear that cords would give, for example. 
  • LONG life. They last forever

Cons:

• They are lighter than the typical grip (46g vs. 52g for a Tour Velvet e.g.). So if you are a swing weight nerd, they will make your swing weight go up about 2 points.  Of course, there are folks that say when you use a lighter grip you are "fooling the scale."  I never understood this.  It's not noticeable to me anyways.
  • They are REAL tacky.  The Signatures more so than the kids.  Like when you put your hand on them and apply pressure, you need to peel your fingers off of them afterwards.  Some people don't like this.

I have also used Best Grips Microperfs in the past.  Those are nice also.

So I take it you prefer the Gripmaster to the Best Grips.  The tackiness sounds like a bit much but I assume that’s why you don’t need a glove, which I like.  

Have you tried the gripmaster wrap? How noticeable is the seam on the back of the grip?

I appreciate help

EvnRoll ER5B

43 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

I have tried them on a few occasions. Although they are just as advertised with the tackiness and superb wet grip I find them to be overly firm. So much so that it was a bit tough on my hands. I can be a bit arthritic at times and that didn't help. There may be softer versions but I was using the regular version. One was Gripmaster, can't remember the other.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

This actually helps me. I like a firm grip so to me that’s a plus to me. 

thanks for the reply / help

EvnRoll ER5B

1 hour ago, Granata13 said:

So I take it you prefer the Gripmaster to the Best Grips.  The tackiness sounds like a bit much but I assume that’s why you don’t need a glove, which I like.  

Have you tried the gripmaster wrap? How noticeable is the seam on the back of the grip?

I appreciate help

I wouldn't dissuade you from Best Grips. They are a bit softer than the Gripmasters. I'd happily play either.  If you contact them, you can get "blemishes" for about $12 a grip or so.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
Axis1 Rose putter

15 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I wouldn't dissuade you from Best Grips. They are a bit softer than the Gripmasters. I'd happily play either.  If you contact them, you can get "blemishes" for about $12 a grip or so.

Great thanks, I like a firmer grip and I also like a round grip so I ordered a couple of Gripmaster wraps to try.  We will see how that goes, but I might also order a couple best grips to try.  1 more questions did you just use solvent to put the grips on or did you use air?  I have done both and thinking about using air so I can switch them to new clubs whenever I get new clubs

EvnRoll ER5B

Great thanks, I like a firmer grip and I also like a round grip so I ordered a couple of Gripmaster wraps to try.  We will see how that goes, but I might also order a couple best grips to try.  1 more questions did you just use solvent to put the grips on or did you use air?  I have done both and thinking about using air so I can switch them to new clubs whenever I get new clubs

Let us know how you like the Gripmasters.
I have 3 or 4 older putters with leather grips I believe 2 of them are Gripmasters. I’ve always liked the feel of the leather as long as they’re keep clean.
As I get a little older I’m liking larger diameter/softer grips.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

25 minutes ago, Granata13 said:

I used a compressor.  One wrap of painters tape.  Then some V&P Naptha (pour a little into the grip with a funnel and then onto a towel, then wipe the grip) to provide some lubricant.  Then air compressor.  Real easy.  Don't use double sided golf grip tape or it will be a PITA to take them off even with a compressor.

Axis1 Rose putter

Thanks @Dr Strangelove. I have always used painters tape and then just a little mineral spirits when I have done grips with my compressor. I apprehended help

EvnRoll ER5B

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Let us know how you like the Gripmasters.
I have 3 or 4 older putters with leather grips I believe 2 of them are Gripmasters. I’ve always liked the feel of the leather as long as they’re keep clean.
As I get a little older I’m liking larger diameter/softer grips.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I definitely will. It’s something I have wanted to try but just now pulled the trigger

EvnRoll ER5B

I have used leather grips for several years now. I like both Bestgrips and Gripmaster. As The Dr. mentioned above, the GM Kidds and Signature run light. They are also problematic if you want to build them up any. They are pretty tight on standard tape.

I  find the Roos, Master Perf and Tour Classic Perf Wraps run 50-51g in the standard size and have more room for expansion. I used to build up mine to about 1/16", which would make them play quite firm, except for the Roos. I have now moved to the Midsize Perf Wrap (58g +/-) which come out a little more cushy and easier on my arthritic hands.

The Bestgrips all have what they call "Pro Taper" which means the grips are a bit thicker under the lower hand. Some don't like this, so be aware of it. But the guys at BG are some of the best to deal with if you're looking for something special.

I have never had an issue with the stitching on the back of these grips. I find it hardly noticeable except on the midsize Montana Cows I have on my putters. The one thing I would say is a negative for ALL leather grips is that the butt cap can sometimes wear thin from removing and returning clubs to your bag. I find standing my bag straight up (when walking) to take them out and put them in helps a lot with this. I also like to wipe them down with a damp towel after playing so they are in pristine shape for the next round. However, if you get rough with them, they will wear through pretty quick.

Lastly, I install all my grips using blue Painters tape, mild soap/water mix and air. I have changed several grips multiple times with no damage whatsoever and never had a slipping issue.

BT

54 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

I have used leather grips for several years now. I like both Bestgrips and Gripmaster. As The Dr. mentioned above, the GM Kidds and Signature run light. They are also problematic if you want to build them up any. They are pretty tight on standard tape.

I  find the Roos, Master Perf and Tour Classic Perf Wraps run 50-51g in the standard size and have more room for expansion. I used to build up mine to about 1/16", which would make them play quite firm, except for the Roos. I have now moved to the Midsize Perf Wrap (58g +/-) which come out a little more cushy and easier on my arthritic hands.

The Bestgrips all have what they call "Pro Taper" which means the grips are a bit thicker under the lower hand. Some don't like this, so be aware of it. But the guys at BG are some of the best to deal with if you're looking for something special.

I have never had an issue with the stitching on the back of these grips. I find it hardly noticeable except on the midsize Montana Cows I have on my putters. The one thing I would say is a negative for ALL leather grips is that the butt cap can sometimes wear thin from removing and returning clubs to your bag. I find standing my bag straight up (when walking) to take them out and put them in helps a lot with this. I also like to wipe them down with a damp towel after playing so they are in pristine shape for the next round. However, if you get rough with them, they will wear through pretty quick.

Lastly, I install all my grips using blue Painters tape, mild soap/water mix and air. I have changed several grips multiple times with no damage whatsoever and never had a slipping issue.

BT

Great info!! Thank you. I can’t wait for mine to get here. Anxious to try them!!

EvnRoll ER5B

This is a repeat of what I've posted over at WRX, but let's be equal opportunity,  right?  🙂

I've installed a GripMaster Roo on a SW, and Best Grips Microperfs on my 9i/PW of my MP37 set.  The Roo went on first, and as I'm not playing a LW right now, it's getting a fair amount of short game work.  I've found all the usual comments to be quite true.  It's quite tacky, even in my first round at 46*F weather.  Got some rain, the grip tacked up more and my pitch shots were zero trouble.  Really outstanding.

I haven't had as many opportunities to use the 9i or PW since adding the Microperfs.  They also "tacked up" nicely when the humidity was up, or when my hands were a little damp.  So far, I've found i like them a little less than the feel of the Roo on my SW.  The best way I can think to describe it is the tack of the Microperfs feels a little less secure than that of the Roo.  

Stating the obvious, both need more testing.  Don't want a snap decision.  😉

The pro taper of the Best Grips....  I fit into Aqua color code in the Ping grips universe, which is -1/64", and wear a cadet medium glove.  Best Grips site recommends someone like me may wish to try the undersized model.  I bought the undersized models as part of my test, feel it the right size choice.  I normally play standard size grips, Lamkin Crosslines primarily, and these feel fairly seemless in transition.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

A bit more of an update, now that I've had another couple rounds with the assorted leather.

I had been expecting the Microperfs to tack up a bit more, for lack of a better way to put it, and they definitely did that this past weekend.  It was definitely not due to warmer weather, as temps were a bit on the low side.  Nice to get some more cooler weather performance as part of the equation, seeing how that was my beef in my earlier attempt, several years ago.  both style grips passed.

I think I need another Roo, or another couple Roo grips, to see how they work in full swing mode.  I almost never take a full swing with the SW, which is the club the Roo is installed on.  Probably would be a good idea to check that out before making a more permanent decision for future play.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I have Grip Master Kidds on all of my clubs and I won't be going back to rubber.  I had a little bit of trouble getting them on, but they're great.  I sweat quite a bit and I don't like to wear a glove.  They don't destroy my hands and no slip.  I rub them down with a little bit of water and it brings them right back.  I would guess I can get another season or two out of them.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I use BestGrips Augusta Microperf standard club grips on all my clubs (not including putter).  These, imo, are simply the best leather slip on grips available.  The tour taper compensates for all of us who wrap extra layers of tape under our lower hands due to unnatural taper.  These are tacky and resists moisture very well.  They remain tacky.  I have had a set of these on my gamer iirons ('99 Ben Hogan Apex blades) now for over 4 years and they're still going strong.  They are as tacky and in great condition almost like the day I installed them.  As long as BestGrips is in business I will never consider another club grip on my golf clubs.  The product and the people behind the product are as good as it gets.

image.png.e4cc4f9b95424d896faa8c3db54f165b.png

Edited by RobotDoctor
added picture of the BestGrips Augusta microperf

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I thought about scoring a set of the Augusta microperfs, but there's one problem with that....   I live in Minnesota, and those are Packers colors.  

Yeah, maybe not.   😄

20 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I thought about scoring a set of the Augusta microperfs, but there's one problem with that....   I live in Minnesota, and those are Packers colors.  

Yeah, maybe not.   😄

Ummmmmm, yeah, there is that.  I suppose a Minnesotaian must choose what they love/hate more?  Love for The Masters or Hate for the Packers.  That's a very tough choice, I am sure.  Just like the Broncos vs Raiders.  LOL.

By the way, these are fabulous!!!!  I think the Augusta is now sold out.  You might be able to email Zach at BestGrips and request Minnesota Vikings colors.  They have black in stock.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

On 5/5/2020 at 5:02 AM, Granata13 said:

Hey guys fairly new to the forum but curious who has used leather grips and what did you think?  I know they are more expensive but I have also heard they last a lot longer.  What are the other Pros and Cons?  

I've been playing Leather grips for maybe 4-5 years.  I've used ones from GripMaster and Best Grips.  I will NEVER go back to rubber grips.  NEVER!!!  I think the grip is possibly the most important part of the club.  It's where your body connects with the tool.  

I don't wear a golf glove and the tackiness of the leather grips are highly valued.  I think they become even more valuable in the rain as they become stickier.  Most golfers tend to squeeze their grips even harder in the rain and the result is that they hit a bunch of shots thin.  My favorite is the gripmaster Tour Classic wrap.  OUTSTANDING!!!!

Edited by bmcdonald

I've taken the plunge, last night I ordered enough GripMaster Roos to outfit a set of irons and any wedges that could be in play.

We are in the GoZone layer

I usually grip using a layer of tape followed by a layer of double sided grip tape.  Then I use Brampton HF-100 grip solvent.  The only issue is that the double sided tape will create a bond that is difficult to break with an air compressor grip removal tool.  I just regripped my Ben Hogan Icon blades using painters tape and WD-40 with Contact Cement (per Harry Sewill's recommendation).  My biggest issue with the BestGrips microperf grips is when I sell a set and I cannot remove the grip because of the double sided tape method.  Now I will be able to save my grips because these have outlasted any club I have used.

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

I usually grip using a layer of tape followed by a layer of double sided grip tape.  Then I use Brampton HF-100 grip solvent.  The only issue is that the double sided tape will create a bond that is difficult to break with an air compressor grip removal tool.  I just regripped my Ben Hogan Icon blades using painters tape and WD-40 with Contact Cement (per Harry Sewill's recommendation).  My biggest issue with the BestGrips microperf grips is when I sell a set and I cannot remove the grip because of the double sided tape method.  Now I will be able to save my grips because these have outlasted any club I have used.

I play Gripmaster The Kidd leather grips on my irons as I don't play with a glove and live in NC where it's very hot and humid.  Leather has become my go to because of how sticky they get the more moisture you have on your hands.  I install them with an air compression and standard masking tape and they don't slip or move.  I've been able to transfer them to multiple sets this way in the past.

My bag is a revolving door!

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

I play Gripmaster The Kidd leather grips on my irons as I don't play with a glove and live in NC where it's very hot and humid.  Leather has become my go to because of how sticky they get the more moisture you have on your hands.  I install them with an air compression and standard masking tape and they don't slip or move.  I've been able to transfer them to multiple sets this way in the past.

That;s what I am starting to do.  I followed the installation procedure by BestGrips and attempted to do the non-air, painter's tape method.  I do have a small air compressor and will do that on my next install of my sand wedge I need to shaft/trim and grip.

I have a leather grip on my Scotty Cameron. It feels great in perfect conditions but if it’s hot and you are sweating or if it’s rainy the grip gets insanely slimy.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I have a leather grip on my Scotty Cameron. It feels great in perfect conditions but if it’s hot and you are sweating or if it’s rainy the grip gets insanely slimy.

Hmm. What leather grip is it (i.e. who makes it)?

Axis1 Rose putter

Its a Grip Master which I believe is made in Australia.    I also tried a Leather Sticky Grip as well and it was pretty much the same outcome

Edited by SteddyGolf

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

OK guys I haven't commented on here in a while, but I did get my leather grips and here is what I found so far.  

I am torn still.  I like the round aspect of the wrap but after a range session I could feel the wrap being folded back under the thumb.  I really like the Best grips but not crazy about the stitching.  I have always used round grips so the stitching is a different feeling to me!  Still doing some testing, would love a round grip with no stitching but don't think that exists.  I do like the Best Grip better than the Grip Master wrap, but I also haven't tried a Grip Master with the stitching.  

EvnRoll ER5B

The Roo has the stitching on the inside, so it's not as noticeable. Something to think about. I typically use the wraps only on my woods and wedges because I change the orientation of the grip in my hands regularly with them. I have only had one roll on me.

BT