Leather Grips? Who has used them

Our Sponsors

I've taken the plunge, last night I ordered enough GripMaster Roos to outfit a set of irons and any wedges that could be in play.

We are in the GoZone layer

• Like 1

Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 44"; Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"; TM Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc, or TM TP5

I usually grip using a layer of tape followed by a layer of double sided grip tape.  Then I use Brampton HF-100 grip solvent.  The only issue is that the double sided tape will create a bond that is difficult to break with an air compressor grip removal tool.  I just regripped my Ben Hogan Icon blades using painters tape and WD-40 with Contact Cement (per Harry Sewill's recommendation).  My biggest issue with the BestGrips microperf grips is when I sell a set and I cannot remove the grip because of the double sided tape method.  Now I will be able to save my grips because these have outlasted any club I have used.

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

I usually grip using a layer of tape followed by a layer of double sided grip tape.  Then I use Brampton HF-100 grip solvent.  The only issue is that the double sided tape will create a bond that is difficult to break with an air compressor grip removal tool.  I just regripped my Ben Hogan Icon blades using painters tape and WD-40 with Contact Cement (per Harry Sewill's recommendation).  My biggest issue with the BestGrips microperf grips is when I sell a set and I cannot remove the grip because of the double sided tape method.  Now I will be able to save my grips because these have outlasted any club I have used.

I play Gripmaster The Kidd leather grips on my irons as I don't play with a glove and live in NC where it's very hot and humid.  Leather has become my go to because of how sticky they get the more moisture you have on your hands.  I install them with an air compression and standard masking tape and they don't slip or move.  I've been able to transfer them to multiple sets this way in the past.

My bag is a revolving door!

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

I play Gripmaster The Kidd leather grips on my irons as I don't play with a glove and live in NC where it's very hot and humid.  Leather has become my go to because of how sticky they get the more moisture you have on your hands.  I install them with an air compression and standard masking tape and they don't slip or move.  I've been able to transfer them to multiple sets this way in the past.

That;s what I am starting to do.  I followed the installation procedure by BestGrips and attempted to do the non-air, painter's tape method.  I do have a small air compressor and will do that on my next install of my sand wedge I need to shaft/trim and grip.

I have a leather grip on my Scotty Cameron. It feels great in perfect conditions but if it’s hot and you are sweating or if it’s rainy the grip gets insanely slimy.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a leather grip on my Scotty Cameron. It feels great in perfect conditions but if it’s hot and you are sweating or if it’s rainy the grip gets insanely slimy.

Hmm. What leather grip is it (i.e. who makes it)?

Driver:  :ping-small: G410 Plus, VA Vylyn 75 Four
Woods: :cobra-small:F8 3 wood
Hybrids: :cobra-small:F8 17*, :callaway-small: XR 22*, 25*
Irons: PXG 0211 6 - GW
Wedges::ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/14, Zing LW
Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Craz-E

Leupold GX-4i3

Penalty Box: :EVNROLL:ER7, :ping-small: G25 irons

Posted (edited)

Its a Grip Master which I believe is made in Australia.    I also tried a Leather Sticky Grip as well and it was pretty much the same outcome

Edited by SteddyGolf
  • Like 1

OK guys I haven't commented on here in a while, but I did get my leather grips and here is what I found so far.  

I am torn still.  I like the round aspect of the wrap but after a range session I could feel the wrap being folded back under the thumb.  I really like the Best grips but not crazy about the stitching.  I have always used round grips so the stitching is a different feeling to me!  Still doing some testing, would love a round grip with no stitching but don't think that exists.  I do like the Best Grip better than the Grip Master wrap, but I also haven't tried a Grip Master with the stitching.  

Ping G400 LST 10* - Rogue silver 110

Callaway Rogue 15* - Even Flow Blue

Callaway Apex 18* & 23*  Kuro Kage

Ping i500 (reg spec) Steelfiber 110CW

Ping i210 6-UW Steelfiber 110CW

Ping Glide 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold X100 SoftStepped

Ping Nome TR

The Roo has the stitching on the inside, so it's not as noticeable. Something to think about. I typically use the wraps only on my woods and wedges because I change the orientation of the grip in my hands regularly with them. I have only had one roll on me.

BT