Leather Grips? Who has used them

I've taken the plunge, last night I ordered enough GripMaster Roos to outfit a set of irons and any wedges that could be in play.

We are in the GoZone layer

• Like 1

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I usually grip using a layer of tape followed by a layer of double sided grip tape.  Then I use Brampton HF-100 grip solvent.  The only issue is that the double sided tape will create a bond that is difficult to break with an air compressor grip removal tool.  I just regripped my Ben Hogan Icon blades using painters tape and WD-40 with Contact Cement (per Harry Sewill's recommendation).  My biggest issue with the BestGrips microperf grips is when I sell a set and I cannot remove the grip because of the double sided tape method.  Now I will be able to save my grips because these have outlasted any club I have used.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon blades 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

I usually grip using a layer of tape followed by a layer of double sided grip tape.  Then I use Brampton HF-100 grip solvent.  The only issue is that the double sided tape will create a bond that is difficult to break with an air compressor grip removal tool.  I just regripped my Ben Hogan Icon blades using painters tape and WD-40 with Contact Cement (per Harry Sewill's recommendation).  My biggest issue with the BestGrips microperf grips is when I sell a set and I cannot remove the grip because of the double sided tape method.  Now I will be able to save my grips because these have outlasted any club I have used.

I play Gripmaster The Kidd leather grips on my irons as I don't play with a glove and live in NC where it's very hot and humid.  Leather has become my go to because of how sticky they get the more moisture you have on your hands.  I install them with an air compression and standard masking tape and they don't slip or move.  I've been able to transfer them to multiple sets this way in the past.

My bag is a revolving door!

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

I play Gripmaster The Kidd leather grips on my irons as I don't play with a glove and live in NC where it's very hot and humid.  Leather has become my go to because of how sticky they get the more moisture you have on your hands.  I install them with an air compression and standard masking tape and they don't slip or move.  I've been able to transfer them to multiple sets this way in the past.

That;s what I am starting to do.  I followed the installation procedure by BestGrips and attempted to do the non-air, painter's tape method.  I do have a small air compressor and will do that on my next install of my sand wedge I need to shaft/trim and grip.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon blades 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I have a leather grip on my Scotty Cameron. It feels great in perfect conditions but if it’s hot and you are sweating or if it’s rainy the grip gets insanely slimy.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a leather grip on my Scotty Cameron. It feels great in perfect conditions but if it’s hot and you are sweating or if it’s rainy the grip gets insanely slimy.

Hmm. What leather grip is it (i.e. who makes it)?

:ping-small:G410 Plus driver,:callaway-small:Diablo 3W, :cobra-small: F6 Baffler
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:AP1 716 irons
:ping-small:Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/15, Zing Lob wedges
:ping-small:Sigma G CRAZ-E putter

Its a Grip Master which I believe is made in Australia.    I also tried a Leather Sticky Grip as well and it was pretty much the same outcome

Edited by SteddyGolf
  • Like 1

OK guys I haven't commented on here in a while, but I did get my leather grips and here is what I found so far.  

I am torn still.  I like the round aspect of the wrap but after a range session I could feel the wrap being folded back under the thumb.  I really like the Best grips but not crazy about the stitching.  I have always used round grips so the stitching is a different feeling to me!  Still doing some testing, would love a round grip with no stitching but don't think that exists.  I do like the Best Grip better than the Grip Master wrap, but I also haven't tried a Grip Master with the stitching.  

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

The Roo has the stitching on the inside, so it's not as noticeable. Something to think about. I typically use the wraps only on my woods and wedges because I change the orientation of the grip in my hands regularly with them. I have only had one roll on me.

BT