Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MIzuno RB Tour

Currently playing the Snell MTB-X and I've been very happy with it.  Thinking about switching to the Mizuno RB Tour-X this year just for something new. 

Anyone had any experience with Mizuno balls?  I've heard the first batch had a problem with the covers cracking but that has been eliminated.

Welcome to the Forum!

Here's a link to last year's MyGolfSpy Golf Ball Buyer's Guide - that should get you started.

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

The RB Tour X fared the better of the two Mizuno balls, but still scored as "Good."  It did have the third best wedge spin of any ball tested. 

I tried a dozen of the standard RB Tour's last year - overall impression was meh. Didn't like them enough to buy any more. 

Hope this helps...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

4 hours ago, Mowine4me said:

Currently playing the Snell MTB-X and I've been very happy with it.  Thinking about switching to the Mizuno RB Tour-X this year just for something new. 

Anyone had any experience with Mizuno balls?  I've heard the first batch had a problem with the covers cracking but that has been eliminated.

I bought some about a month back and still had some significant scuffing/cover durability issues. They get pretty marred up with full wedge shots and it's 50:50 if you would want to keep it in play if one hits a cart path, etc. 

Couldn't fault the ball characteristics, but they get a little pricy when other options in the same category are playable until you lose them. 

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

Ive played them in the past and they were fine.  They spin like a tour ball should.  I found them to be a bit short in terms of distance vs comparable balls.  I never experienced the scuffing issues that others did but it is pretty well documented.

IMO, theyre a good ball but nothing special.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have tried the Mizuno RB Tour ball and It performed comparable to my Snell MTB-X and Taylormade TP5x.  It was good of the driver and irons and had good around the greens. Just didn't think for the price tag it was worth swapping over if I wasn't getting some significant improvement over my current golf balls.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did buy a dozen of the RB Tour X.  While performance was fine, I experienced the same durability issues others have described.  The ball below was played for two holes.  I did not hit a tree or a cart path.  I did hit a pitch shot, and there is visible damage to the cover.  At least four clear and easily felt ridges.  On other occasion I did hit a tree, and that impact produced similar cover damage.  

I play Mizuno wedges and woods.  I really wanted to like this ball, but I'll be sticking with the Snell MTB-X.  My limited testing didn't show a difference in performance, but in the two years I've played Snell balls they were never damaged this way from normal play.  In fact usually if I bang one off a tree it still looks fine!

Mizuno Ball.jpg

I played the RB566V some this year and found them to be just OK.  I found the covers to have some durability issues.  After a few holes, there would be scuff marks on the ball and spots where the paint was wearing off.

The distance, feel and spin was fine for a midrange ball but I would say theyre nothing special and nothing that I would seek out over any of the Taiwanese-made DTC balls.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

hi!

actually I am in your exact situation. My gamer is the MTB black (plannin* to move to the X soon) and I have bought couple of dozen of Mizuno RB tour x.

while the ball feels amazing, holds very well the wind and spin just right, it has big durability issues. Even a well stroke wedge shot would mark the cover, not to say a thin s*** or random trees.

too bad because is a great ball

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X