Walking the course with Covid 19 stay at home order

Our Sponsors

Fantastic - golf opened back up in MI despite the stay at home order. I couldn’t wait to get out the first official day. It was walking only, something I haven’t done much in years, so I pulled out my trusty pull cart and really enjoyed. It always surprises me how much more focus I have when I walk to my ball instead of jumping in a cart and driving back and forth all over the course to my ball and my partners ball. One good thing about our current pandemic- enjoy walking the golf course!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I only ride when playing with a larger group who ride or if it is required by the club. There is something about being connected to the earth throughout the round which energizes me.

• Like 2

As a pushcart user, I hope this starts a revolution. Golf is so much more enjoyable when walking. Especially, in a foursome when you can actually talk to all of your playing partners rather than yelling across the fairway over the noise of the carts.

• Like 3

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

As a pushcart user, I hope this starts a revolution. Golf is so much more enjoyable when walking. Especially, in a foursome when you can actually talk to all of your playing partners rather than yelling across the fairway over the noise of the carts.

I agree, and I walk as much as I reasonably can (with my QOD motorized trolley humping my clubs for me).  However, I have a feeling that most people will return to their old habits when they're allowed to.

I know you work at a course, if there really IS a change in habits, has there been any thought as to how this will effect the course financially?  Any club that hosts events will still need to maintain a pretty full fleet of carts, and a big part of the costs is the purchase/lease price, that won't change if they're utilized substantially less.  Less use means a longer life, eventually lowering costs, but in the short term less cart rental will mean less income.  

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I agree, and I walk as much as I reasonably can (with my QOD motorized trolley humping my clubs for me).  However, I have a feeling that most people will return to their old habits when they're allowed to.

I know you work at a course, if there really IS a change in habits, has there been any thought as to how this will effect the course financially?  Any club that hosts events will still need to maintain a pretty full fleet of carts, and a big part of the costs is the purchase/lease price, that won't change if they're utilized substantially less.  Less use means a longer life, eventually lowering costs, but in the short term less cart rental will mean less income.  

That's actually @Golfspy_CG2 that works at a course. I have a different day job. I definitely agree with you that there's a big financial impact here for courses which will be difficult to navigate. Although, it may not matter if everyone goes back to riding anyway. I still suspect that a percentage will take this walking experience and never look back. That's how I was. Just took 2 times walking to convert me for good.

• Like 2

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Being a walker myself, I love these threads about other people walking their courses. It’s really cool to read that others have the same euphoria and enjoyment from playing a round under foot power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 10.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:callaway-small: X2 Hot 5-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:taylormade-small: TP5

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 9:49 AM, Bob M said:

Last few times I was out I was the only one walking, everyone is back to riding in carts I guess

Pretty much the case over here on this side of the Mitten as well. Since they started allowing carts again, I've seen four people walking besides myself. Everyone else in carts. I don't play a particularly long course (6,300 yards from the back), tee boxes are right near greens as well. 

No carts is a death sentence for a course though. Last I was talking with the owner he estimates being unable to have carts on a Saturday (for whatever reason - COVID, too much water, etc.) costs him about $5k in revenues that day.

EDIT - Should add, this is over 13-15 rounds that I've only seen four others walking.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver