TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bridgestone BXS vs BX with REACTIV Cover

Hey gents. 

Was curious if anyone could tell me the difference between these two. Maybe I'm inept but I couldn't find what specifically separates these two balls. I currently play the BXS but I went through their online golf ball fitting by entering my stats. The entire way through I'm fitted for BXS but the last stat, driver distance puts me in the BX as the choice.

Numbers are as follow: 

Swing Speed : 105-107

Ball Speed : 155

Launch: 13 degrees

Backspin: 1900

Distance average 270+

Is it distance or is it softer cover?

The XS is going to be softer than the X. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

A few of us reviewed the new 2020 line of balls, you can find the feedback here:

Personally, the X doesn't give me the spin I need around the greens. Great ball, just not for my game. Trying the XS now!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• Guests
Guest Delete
1 hour ago, Skulled_Birdies said:

Hey gents. 

Was curious if anyone could tell me the difference between these two. Maybe I'm inept but I couldn't find what specifically separates these two balls. I currently play the BXS but I went through their online golf ball fitting by entering my stats. The entire way through I'm fitted for BXS but the last stat, driver distance puts me in the BX as the choice.

Numbers are as follow: 

Swing Speed : 105-107

Ball Speed : 155

Launch: 13 degrees

Backspin: 1900

Distance average 270+

Is it distance or is it softer cover?

From what I found - the BX and BXS are both for higher swing players like you. The difference is with and without the S. S = more short iron spin around the greens.

The R versions are the softer core balls. 

Both versions the S stands for spin and more of it, but not off the driver. 

The USGA lists all Bridgestone tour balls as L-M = low driver spin and mid iron spin. 

Callaway, Bridgestone, and Taylormade all have USGA designations of L-M for their tour balls. 

Titleist and Srixon tour balls live in the M-H meaning moderate driver spin and high short iron spin. But, I think I hit the Titleist ball father than Srixon. 

Snell, Honma, Cut, Maxfli and Vice seems to be one of the only L-H balls with low driver and high iron spin for their urethane balls. 

I would assume the old balata balls were H-H. 

My experience is that the real difference comes down to compression. The harder balls go farther. Also, balls with 2 or more piece covers have more control around the greens. 

44 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

From what I found - the BX and BXS are both for higher swing players like you. The difference is with and without the S. S = more short iron spin around the greens.

The R versions are the softer core balls. 

Both versions the S stands for spin and more of it, but not off the driver. 

The USGA lists all Bridgestone tour balls as L-M = low driver spin and mid iron spin. 

Callaway, Bridgestone, and Taylormade all have USGA designations of L-M for their tour balls. 

Titleist and Srixon tour balls live in the M-H meaning moderate driver spin and high short iron spin. But, I think I hit the Titleist ball father than Srixon. 

Snell, Honma, Cut, Maxfli and Vice seems to be one of the only L-H balls with low driver and high iron spin for their urethane balls. 

I would assume the old balata balls were H-H. 

My experience is that the real difference comes down to compression. The harder balls go farther. Also, balls with 2 or more piece covers have more control around the greens. 

Appreciate you. Yeah, I'm worried about compression and spin around the greens.   @yungkory shared the members review and it's undeniable that the BX is longer by a wide margin but spin around the greens is king. I already bought the BXS but I think I'm gonna buy a few dozen of the BX for tourney scrambles. Due to quarantine and lack an abundance of newly formed hobbies that die off like a puppies attention span I just bought the SuperSpeed set and with my insurance money for my stolen clubs. Looking to test out the Exotics EXS 220 with the HZARDUS Yellow shaft. I was smashing it. Increased my swing speed 3-4 mph. Might as well give both a throw. Might make a alternate balls through rounds depending on holes. Is that legal? 

1 hour ago, Skulled_Birdies said:

Might as well give both a throw. Might make a alternate balls through rounds depending on holes. Is that legal? 

For us mortals, yes. In pro and high level tournaments, no.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

• Guests
Guest Delete
4 hours ago, Skulled_Birdies said:

Appreciate you. Yeah, I'm worried about compression and spin around the greens.   @yungkory shared the members review and it's undeniable that the BX is longer by a wide margin but spin around the greens is king. I already bought the BXS but I think I'm gonna buy a few dozen of the BX for tourney scrambles. Due to quarantine and lack an abundance of newly formed hobbies that die off like a puppies attention span I just bought the SuperSpeed set and with my insurance money for my stolen clubs. Looking to test out the Exotics EXS 220 with the HZARDUS Yellow shaft. I was smashing it. Increased my swing speed 3-4 mph. Might as well give both a throw. Might make a alternate balls through rounds depending on holes. Is that legal? 

The USGA rules on the ball are to use a conforming ball and finish the hole with the ball you teed off with. In the PGA tour they add a tournament rule stating one ball model for the entire round. (Called the one ball rule)

I use different balls all the time and even in tournaments that don't have a one ball rule. The long ball for long holes makes me smile.

@Skulled_Birdies  I went through their online fit and it recommended the Tour B X as well. I played the previous version and loved it, so I bought a dozen on the new version. It was at the start of season, and swing wasn’t in the best shape, but I got along with it okay. I hit some bombs, but on my slower swings I felt like I hit a block of ice. I got good spin with full iron shots, but around the green I couldn’t get enough spin. So I tried the B XS, and I played one round and took advantage of the buy 3 get one free. My distance is still long, but the ball really shines on the green. My partners are always saying they wish they could spin it like me, but it’s all the ball. If you have speed you won’t be disappointed with either ball, and if you have a really good short game you may get more out of the B X than I did. Try both and see which you like more.

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

BX doesn’t spin as much. Both great balls. I didn’t notice a difference in distance between the two. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I did the VFIT earlier in the year and recommended the RX. I just sent in the same video and this time was it was the e12 .  I am a bit sceptical about this whole VFIT thing now. Bummed I wanted to try out the new RX. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:58 AM, cjeffs12 said:

@Skulled_Birdies  I went through their online fit and it recommended the Tour B X as well. I played the previous version and loved it, so I bought a dozen on the new version. It was at the start of season, and swing wasn’t in the best shape, but I got along with it okay. I hit some bombs, but on my slower swings I felt like I hit a block of ice. I got good spin with full iron shots, but around the green I couldn’t get enough spin. So I tried the B XS, and I played one round and took advantage of the buy 3 get one free. My distance is still long, but the ball really shines on the green. My partners are always saying they wish they could spin it like me, but it’s all the ball. If you have speed you won’t be disappointed with either ball, and if you have a really good short game you may get more out of the B X than I did. Try both and see which you like more.

I'm all about spin around the greens. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Reactiv tech to compare and contrast from the original BXS but from what I'm reading this might be my ball moving forward.

• 3 weeks later...

I was fit into the BX as well;  currently I play Srixon Z star XV. What is interesting to me is that the new line of Bridgestone balls all have relatively low compression ratings (85 for the BX & BXS) I’m curious how much distance I’ll be giving up if I switch...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

So I have always played the spin version of the golf ball, Pro V1x for example. I really enjoyed the B XS, distance was amazing and all the green side spin I could imagine. As my game has slowly got back into shape due to no practice in months, on several greens during the rounds I would spin the ball off the green. Our greens are in great condition now and I am really noticing it is high spin. I’m using my rounds as a way to practice and it’s finally starting to work for me, but I would hit an amazing shot and the divot is pin high but at the front of the green or in many cases in thick rough short sided. It was really frustrating but not the balls fault at all, it’s doing what it is supposed to do. I’m not good enough to control spin, most days I’m happy if I can just hit the green. So I bought a sleeve of the B X, and I had the best round of the year so far, I almost broke 80!! The distance was amazing, I hit one 362 pin high( down wind) on a par 4, but in the bunker. I hit half the GIR, and got lots of green side spin. I bought a dozen because they are on sale, and so I can keep testing. I tried this ball in the early season, but it came to life now that my swing is better and faster. I may have a new ball. 

On 5/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, Micah T said:

I was fit into the BX as well;  currently I play Srixon Z star XV. What is interesting to me is that the new line of Bridgestone balls all have relatively low compression ratings (85 for the BX & BXS) I’m curious how much distance I’ll be giving up if I switch...

I’m not the greatest on feeling compression, but I have played the B XS for many rounds and now testing the B X, and I have found no loss of distance. The XS is softer than the X, but neither are rocks. I’d just say solid. They are worth a try. 

23 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

I’m not the greatest on feeling compression, but I have played the B XS for many rounds and now testing the B X, and I have found no loss of distance. The XS is softer than the X, but neither are rocks. I’d just say solid. They are worth a try. 

Bought a box of BX a couple days ago: just been putting/chipping with them so far, but I like what I’m seeing! Can’t wait to try them during a round...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

20 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Bought a box of BX a couple days ago: just been putting/chipping with them so far, but I like what I’m seeing! Can’t wait to try them during a round...

Good deal, good luck with the round! On course is where it really stood out to me.

I've been going back and forth between the BXS and the RX. Seems there is one variable on the VFIT that puts me in one ball or the other when I try online every 3 months or so. Been playing strictly Bridgestone for the past 6-8 months. Great qualty balls that are very durable. 

23 minutes ago, SteveG said:

I've been going back and forth between the BXS and the RX. Seems there is one variable on the VFIT that puts me in one ball or the other when I try online every 3 months or so. Been playing strictly Bridgestone for the past 6-8 months. Great qualty balls that are very durable. 

Does your swing speed vary a lot? 105 mph is the dividing line, but if you swing right around 105 the lower compression ball might suit you better: have you played both? 

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

12 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Does your swing speed vary a lot? 105 mph is the dividing line, but if you swing right around 105 the lower compression ball might suit you better: have you played both? 

My swing speed doesn't vary a lot, but the Bridgestone ball selector does not ask you your swing speed, just your distance, ball flight, and average score along with gender and age. 

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

My swing speed doesn't vary a lot, but the Bridgestone ball selector does not ask you your swing speed, just your distance, ball flight, and average score along with gender and age. 

Try the Vfit if you can: you make a video of your driver swing and they fit you based on that. 

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

I picked up a box of the B XS yesterday because my local shop was running a deal. I've played PROV1 for the better part of 15-18 years. But when I saw these for much cheaper I decided to give it a shot. I played 18 yesterday and absolutely loved the ball. My ball flight was exactly how I've wanted it to be for as long as I've played. I typically hit the ball to the moon, I've tried everything and have struggled to get it down. It's never killed me aside from having to always having to pay extra attention to the wind, especially a headwind. Yesterday my ball was laser straight and the low rising flight I've always wanted. It definitely felt different, especially on the green but it was a good different. Shot 69 (par 70) and really enjoyed the round. 

:titelist-small: TS3, 8.5°

:taylormade-small: M5, 3 wood

:cleveland-small: Halo 3i, 22°

:mizuno-small: MP-18SC, 4-PW

:vokey-small: 52°

:vokey-small: 58°

:scotty-small: California Monterey

On 5/26/2020 at 8:07 PM, Micah T said:

After one round, I’m not seeing any distance lost: if I can say anything after 1 round, it’s that maybe this ball is less spinny than my Srixon Z star....

Then again, I had my 1st hole in one with the B X today 🔥🏌

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

15 hours ago, Micah T said:

After one round, I’m not seeing any distance lost: if I can say anything after 1 round, it’s that maybe this ball is less spinny than my Srixon Z star....

Then again, I had my 1st hole in one with the B X today 🔥🏌

That is awesome!! Congratulations on the hole in one! 

After 2 rounds, the only difference I see between the BX and the Z-starXV is green side spin: yardages are identical: still get the awful ballooning fade on a miss hit driver, same flight and shape with irons. But on wedge shots there is a difference: not necessarily a bad difference but a difference. I’m not seeing a lot of “hop & stop” with the BX: not always a bad thing if you’re like me a frequent victim of “unintended backspin” on chips and pitches. It’s taken a slight change of strategy for me to plan some rollout: both balls checked well from full swings with short irons, and I enjoy how the BX rolls off the putter. I don’t know if I would say the BX is any better than the Z star for me, but it’s certainly just as good.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I just took the plunge and am making the switch.  Ending my 3-year relationship with the Pro V1, over to the Tour BXS.  I like how it performs (better if you ask me), it seems much more durable than the Pro V1, and it's $10+ cheaper...easy decision.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I just wrapped up week 3 with B XS and I'll be played it until further notice. I absolutely love everything about this ball. For me, it's the best ball I've played when it comes to workability and control. My distances are consistently right on the  money and shot shaping is the best it's been in quite some time. I never thought I'd fully go away from ProV1, but three weeks in and I am still impressed by this ball. 

A draw back for some people may be that it's not quite as long as some balls, but distance doesn't mean much to me. I hit it long enough, and when I get the same distance every time I hit a club, that means much more to me. 

:titelist-small: TS3, 8.5°

:taylormade-small: M5, 3 wood

:cleveland-small: Halo 3i, 22°

:mizuno-small: MP-18SC, 4-PW

:vokey-small: 52°

:vokey-small: 58°

:scotty-small: California Monterey

I just wrapped up week 3 with B XS and I'll be played it until further notice. I absolutely love everything about this ball. For me, it's the best ball I've played when it comes to workability and control. My distances are consistently right on the  money and shot shaping is the best it's been in quite some time. I never thought I'd fully go away from ProV1, but three weeks in and I am still impressed by this ball. 
A draw back for some people may be that it's not quite as long as some balls, but distance doesn't mean much to me. I hit it long enough, and when I get the same distance every time I hit a club, that means much more to me. 

I’m convinced the cover is more durable than the ProV too

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I'm a firm believer that the Tour BX and Tour BXS are some of the best wind balls out there, especially into the wind. Pro V1s get hung up in the air, TP5s and Z Stars get knocked down, but the B stones cut right through it. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Had my first experience with the BXS yesterday against a TP5X and I'm not sure I can say it outperformed the ball, but just reacted differently.  Distance was nearly identical, but the key difference, which for me is a posiitive, is that I could get the ball airborne easier.   I always thought the TP5X was a high flight ball, but time after time, I was getting the BXS in the air much easier and I preferred that flight.  For the most part into wind, I thought it was good except for one drive that I thought I made good contact with just kept fading when I thought it would have normally just barely missed the fairway.  Will have to continue experimenting, but after one round and thinking back through each shot, it's a bit ahead of the Taylormade.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"