TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tommy Armour 845 driver

Jchris05

I picked one up during one of the flash sales and have used it a few times out on the course.  I originally swung this driver back when it came out before COVID and it was one of the lowest spinning drivers I've hit.  Only the SIM had a consistently low spin number.  I initially tried it with a HZRDUS yellow but could barely get the spin to creep above 1700.  I then tried the stock Helium Black and the spin came up a little but the Helium and I didn't get along and the dispersion was too wide.  I swing around 106 and the stiff Helium has a torque rating of over 5* if I recall.  They didn't have an X flex in the Helium as an option.

I ended up re-shafting the 845 and put a Grandura 530 stiff into it.  The Grandura might not be a perfect shaft fit for me but it fixed the dispersion numbers instantly.  This driver is now very straight and easy to hit.  I haven't had a chance to see what the new spin numbers are since COVID hit but I've seen a few shots hit toward the toe that seem to have super low spin and almost fall out of the air.  I had a bad tendency to snap hook the Helium shaft.  The head does seem to have some draw bias weighting to it and I'm looking forward to seeing what the center of gravity location is once MGS gets it measured.

If you need a low spin driver, this club will fit the criteria for sure.  One of the best things is the sound/feel is amazingly good.  I expected a cheap tin can sound with all the carbon fiber that's in the head but it has a very pleasant and powerful crack sound and everyone that I've had it it agrees that the sound is really nice.

My bag is a revolving door!

10 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

I picked one up during one of the flash sales and have used it a few times out on the course.  I originally swung this driver back when it came out before COVID and it was one of the lowest spinning drivers I've hit.  Only the SIM had a consistently low spin number.  I initially tried it with a HZRDUS yellow but could barely get the spin to creep above 1700.  I then tried the stock Helium Black and the spin came up a little but the Helium and I didn't get along and the dispersion was too wide.  I swing around 106 and the stiff Helium has a torque rating of over 5* if I recall.  They didn't have an X flex in the Helium as an option.

I ended up re-shafting the 845 and put a Grandura 530 stiff into it.  The Grandura might not be a perfect shaft fit for me but it fixed the dispersion numbers instantly.  This driver is now very straight and easy to hit.  I haven't had a chance to see what the new spin numbers are since COVID hit but I've seen a few shots hit toward the toe that seem to have super low spin and almost fall out of the air.  I had a bad tendency to snap hook the Helium shaft.  The head does seem to have some draw bias weighting to it and I'm looking forward to seeing what the center of gravity location is once MGS gets it measured.

If you need a low spin driver, this club will fit the criteria for sure.  One of the best things is the sound/feel is amazingly good.  I expected a cheap tin can sound with all the carbon fiber that's in the head but it has a very pleasant and powerful crack sound and everyone that I've had it it agrees that the sound is really nice.

It’s truly amazing how much difference a shaft can make. Glad you are liking the driver

OK I went to the range today here are my initial thoughts (and small comparison to my Cobra F7). I am happy with the Cobra driver, really had no need to get another driver, I only purchased it because I had to spend a $100 visa card, the 845 was on flash sale, and I had some DIcks scorecard points, so I only ended up paying about $20 out of my pocket for this.

First and foremost, this driver is LOUD. I have a very strong feeling about the sound of this driver, I'm just not sure if I love it or hate it yet, it will be very polarizing for anyone.

It is long and forgiving. It was extremely easy to find the sweet spot, for some reason I was hitting it right on the screws with the 845 almost every swing, even as I was alternating between the Cobra F7 and 845. It is very easy to see where the strike is on the face of both clubs, I rarely missed with the 845. 

I believe everyone who says it is low spinning. With my Cobra F7, I am able to fade and draw my shots - weather I mean to or not. With the 845 driver, I had to extremely exaggerate my path/face angle to achieve a slice or hook, like really exaggerate the motion. in my "normal" swings, this thing was very very straight, and noticeably longer than the F7. 

I may have just randomly lucked into buying a great driver for myself, at a bargain price, I will for sure be gaming it this weekend, we'll see how the sound holds up!

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

• 11 months later...

I’m currently gaming the 845 Driver and I honestly love it. It’s just the fact that I need an X-Stiff shaft. Amazon has a few shafts on sale right now, but  I was wondering if anyone knew what dimensions the tip needed to be in order to fit?