TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Building Help

Hi Guys!  I'm getting into stamping and building a few wedges and I have a couple of questions.

I got some scratch wedge heads (47 degree) that are .355 Taper Tip.  I'm on Diamond Tour's website looking at some shafts at a pretty good bargain.

I understand the concept of soft stepping, but I want to see if this makes sense to some of the more experienced builders on here.

My uncle currently plays G400 irons in reg with the stock alta CB shaft, but likes steel in his wedges.  He needs a little more height and spin. I'm trying to decide between the DG XP and the DG CPT. I'd never heard of the DG CPT so here's the rundown according to DTG (The True Temper Dynamic Gold Counter Point Technology (CPT) .355” Taper Tip golf shaft was specially made for the Japan Golf Market and is another addition to the highly successful world-renowned True Temper Dynamic Gold Series golf shafts. The shaft weighs in slightly lighter than the standard Dynamic Gold with the additional feature of counter balancing. The result of these features provide extra feel for the seasoned player who strides for swing perfection and optimal launch that equates into longer distance!)

So if I choose the CPT, I will need to get a stiff 8 iron shaft and cut it.  Will cutting it affect the counterbalancing? That should also get me to an approximate regular flex too, correct?

If I choose the XP, am I better off getting the 8 iron in stiff and cutting it down to soft step it? Or will it play softer if I get the regular flex 9 iron and cut it to length?

All help would be greatly appreciated!  I know that @McGolf and @jaskanski have given some great advice to others in the past! Thanks!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Hi Guys!  I'm getting into stamping and building a few wedges and I have a couple of questions.

I got some scratch wedge heads (47 degree) that are .355 Taper Tip.  I'm on Diamond Tour's website looking at some shafts at a pretty good bargain.

I understand the concept of soft stepping, but I want to see if this makes sense to some of the more experienced builders on here.

My uncle currently plays G400 irons in reg with the stock alta CB shaft, but likes steel in his wedges.  He needs a little more height and spin. I'm trying to decide between the DG XP and the DG CPT. I'd never heard of the DG CPT so here's the rundown according to DTG (The True Temper Dynamic Gold Counter Point Technology (CPT) .355” Taper Tip golf shaft was specially made for the Japan Golf Market and is another addition to the highly successful world-renowned True Temper Dynamic Gold Series golf shafts. The shaft weighs in slightly lighter than the standard Dynamic Gold with the additional feature of counter balancing. The result of these features provide extra feel for the seasoned player who strides for swing perfection and optimal launch that equates into longer distance!)

So if I choose the CPT, I will need to get a stiff 8 iron shaft and cut it.  Will cutting it affect the counterbalancing? That should also get me to an approximate regular flex too, correct?

If I choose the XP, am I better off getting the 8 iron in stiff and cutting it down to soft step it? Or will it play softer if I get the regular flex 9 iron and cut it to length?

All help would be greatly appreciated!  I know that [mention=1090]McGolf[/mention] and [mention=55537]jaskanski[/mention] have given some great advice to others in the past! Thanks!

There are some strong opinions on how or whether to soft step your wedge shafts. Before you jump in, I would try the wedge length taper shaft and start from there. Use that as your basis and if you’re not liking the performance I would start experimenting. I have tried soft stepping, hard stepping and using 9 and 8 iron taper shafts in wedges. I continue to revert back to wedge shafts for my wedges. It works for me, might work for you.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 minutes ago, bens197 said:

There are some strong opinions on how or whether to soft step your wedge shafts. Before you jump in, I would try the wedge length taper shaft and start from there. Use that as your basis and if you’re not liking the performance I would start experimenting. I have tried soft stepping, hard stepping and using 9 and 8 iron taper shafts in wedges. I continue to revert back to wedge shafts for my wedges. It works for me, might work for you.

Thanks!  It's for my uncle.  He doesn't go at the ball very hard, so I want to get him something a little more responsive.  What was it that you didn't like about soft stepping the wedges?

Thanks!  It's for my uncle.  He doesn't go at the ball very hard, so I want to get him something a little more responsive.  What was it that you didn't like about soft stepping the wedges?

I didn’t like the way the club felt through the swing compared to my PW. It was soft-stepping the 52 & 58 and for full swings it felt spongy. I liked everything feeling consistent through the swing.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

A few things to consider here. Firstly, you can't make a stiff shaft into a regular one - you can get somewhere near it, but if you need to soft step to that extent, you might as well have used the regular shaft in the first place to get the trimming and weight right.

Secondly, you need to consider the shaft profile. The DG CPT and XP will have an overall stiffer tip profile which is nothing like the Alta CB and won't really give any extra launch and spin that you're looking for - quite the opposite in fact. If the Alta has been specifically fitted, then the DG shafts will not really be a complimentary fit - they're designed for a late release and low launch. And yes, the CPT weight in the butt to counterbalance it will disappear if you trim an 8-iron shaft.

Third is weight. The Alta CB weighs in at around 70g - even accounting for the counterweighted CPT, it would be around 30g heavier which in turn would feel heavier still in a wedge head. Even if your uncle prefers steel in the wedge (who doesn't?) I would err on the lighter side than the 100g+ offered by DG type shafts. Maybe start at XP95 and see what it plays like? Either way - and I hate to keep saying it - a fitting session will yield the best options and results. Don't play it cheap just because you can buy a shaft cheap.

5 hours ago, jaskanski said:

A few things to consider here. Firstly, you can't make a stiff shaft into a regular one - you can get somewhere near it, but if you need to soft step to that extent, you might as well have used the regular shaft in the first place to get the trimming and weight right.

Secondly, you need to consider the shaft profile. The DG CPT and XP will have an overall stiffer tip profile which is nothing like the Alta CB and won't really give any extra launch and spin that you're looking for - quite the opposite in fact. If the Alta has been specifically fitted, then the DG shafts will not really be a complimentary fit - they're designed for a late release and low launch. And yes, the CPT weight in the butt to counterbalance it will disappear if you trim an 8-iron shaft.

Third is weight. The Alta CB weighs in at around 70g - even accounting for the counterweighted CPT, it would be around 30g heavier which in turn would feel heavier still in a wedge head. Even if your uncle prefers steel in the wedge (who doesn't?) I would err on the lighter side than the 100g+ offered by DG type shafts. Maybe start at XP95 and see what it plays like? Either way - and I hate to keep saying it - a fitting session will yield the best options and results. Don't play it cheap just because you can buy a shaft cheap.

Thanks for the tips!  This is going to be a surprise so getting him fit isn't the really an option.  I fit him for the Alta CB and I have a pretty good idea of what his swing speed and profile are.  Do you happen to have any experience with the DG GS 95? It's right around a 100g and is supposed to have a little softer tip.  I can get it in the regular flex at the correct length, but I've never heard of it.  Again, I really appreciate the input!

Thanks for the tips!  This is going to be a surprise so getting him fit isn't the really an option.  I fit him for the Alta CB and I have a pretty good idea of what his swing speed and profile are.  Do you happen to have any experience with the DG GS 95? It's right around a 100g and is supposed to have a little softer tip.  I can get it in the regular flex at the correct length, but I've never heard of it.  Again, I really appreciate the input!

Nippon 950 would be a good look. Soft tip with that weight you’re looking for.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Nippon 950 would be a good look. Soft tip with that weight you’re looking for.

Yeah that would be a good choice, but they are about $25 a piece and I'd like to keep it less than that.  They actually have a NS Pro Neo right now that would fit the green color scheme I'm going with, but same thing with the price.

10 hours ago, bens197 said:

I didn’t like the way the club felt through the swing compared to my PW. It was soft-stepping the 52 & 58 and for full swings it felt spongy. I liked everything feeling consistent through the swing.

This has been my experience with my soft-stepped Diamond Tour clones as well. Full swings feel really loose. Have gone back to my Maltby wedges that have .355 taper wedge shafts (KBS 610 and KBS Hi-Rev) and enjoy the solid feeling more, even on things like chips and pitches.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I would consider a graphite wedge shaft.

Such as ACCRAs spt that comes in 95 and 125 g models

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.