Vokey SM8s Wedges - Horrible Tin Metal Sound

Our Sponsors

Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

Things I have done/thought about:

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

• Guests
Guest Delete
2 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.

1. I'm curious what shaft you have?
  2. Did you change the flex from before?
  3. Also, where did you order the wedges from?
  4. And this sound is with the same ball you hit with your old wedges?

My guess is your shaft might be the sound amplifier that is making you hear it. 

I asked where you got the clubs from because there are clones out there to be weary of.

Nothing has changed at all beside the club head (same exact shaft,Dynamic Gold S400, ball ) and I ordered directly from Vokey Wedgeworks (since they are custom stamped).  Im so sad and mad at the same time.

• Guests
Guest Delete
10 minutes ago, heribertomaya said:

Nothing has changed at all beside the club head (same exact shaft,Dynamic Gold S400, ball ) and I ordered directly from Vokey Wedgeworks (since they are custom stamped).  Im so sad and mad at the same time.

I would call them to make a complaint. They may have some insight. If nothing else they may offer a refund or rebuild.

This is the first I’ve seen anyone mention any “sound” issues with the sm8 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is the first I’ve seen anyone mention any “sound” issues with the sm8 

im aware of that,  thus im suspicious if this could be an isolated case where somehow mine are "wrong" or something like that.

This probably won't help you but I just put two sm8's (black) in play and there are no sound issues. My guess is that it is something with the shaft, but then with both of being that way I am at a loss. 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

My black SM8s are fine, no sound issue.  I'd call up wedgeworks and discuss with them

TM M4  

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybids

Titleist T200 5-GW 

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

I've got an SM8 in the same brushed steel finish that you have.  I went with a different shaft from normal, but have not had any sound issues.  

I did think the SM7 felt/sounded a bit different from my SM6, but can only say good things so far about my SM8.  I have the D grind as well, but it probably makes no difference. 

Best of luck getting it sorted out.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Do you have any friends with SM8 or a pro shop near where you can hit OTR and compare?

My SM7 do sound clickier than my old Mizuno wedges, but definitely not tin metal.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

im aware of that,  thus im suspicious if this could be an isolated case where somehow mine are "wrong" or something like that.

Call them. Best first step ALWAYS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

The last two S300/S400 shafts I’ve had produce the same hollow “cheap” sound you mention.

The Cobra wedges, I remember specifically saying they sounded terrible, and the Taylormade wedge was the worst thing I ever hit. Sound wise.

I doubt it’s the head. Almost put money on it’s the shaft, and I’m not a betting man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been using Vokey wedges for years and never had a problem with sound.  I bet it is the shaft but really don't have a clue.  Hopefully customer service will have some ideas.  Let us know what you find out. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM6 52 F & 56M wedges | Rife Mid Mallet 400 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Srixon Q Star Tour yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

• 1 month later...

I have tour chrome sm8s with DG TI S400 shafts and no problems here. Hope you got it resolved man! Also to those who have brushed metal and jet black finish, how are they holding up?? I’m planning on a switching out my stock 620 CB PW to a 46. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 Plus 9 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0 set to the fade position (RH)

Ping G410 3 Wood 14.5 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0 Handcrafted (RH)

Ping G410 3 Hybrid 19 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0 (RH)

Titleist T200 Black 4 Project X LZ 6.0 Onyx 1 degree upright (RH)

Titleist T100S Black 5-9 Project X LZ 6.0 Onyx 1 degree upright (RH)

Titleist SM8 Jet Black 45F/9 bounce, 50F/8 bounce, 55S/11 bounce, 60S/10 bounce Project X LZ 6.0 Onyx 1 degree upright (RH)

2019 Bettinardi QB8 Midslant Limited Run with Stability Shaft (RH)

Srixon Z-Star 6

On 5/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, heribertomaya said:

Did anything else become of your sound?

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Driver F9    
:cobra-small: 3 wood                

:cobra-small: 5 wood 18 TS2 

:mizuno-small:  Irons 6i / 9i MP-20 HMB   
:mizuno-small: wedge T20 46* 50* 54* 56*                                                     

:taylormade-small: FCG #7 Chalk

:taylormade-small: TP5 

6 hours ago, Miboy62 said:

Did anything else become of your sound?

The 60 sounds good and as any other wedge to me now.  Nonetheless, the 56 maintained the tin metal sound........but whatever I learned and will probably never get vokey wedges again after this.  Will be changing the 56 to the new Cleveland when it launches and keep the vokey for range/practice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

The 60 sounds good and as any other wedge to me now.  Nonetheless, the 56 maintained the tin metal sound........but whatever I learned and will probably never get vokey wedges again after this.  Will be changing the 56 to the new Cleveland when it launches and keep the vokey for range/practice.

Have you tried to call vokey/titleist about the issue?

From reading here and wrx it seems like you may be the only that had this issue 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1