TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vokey SM8s Wedges - Horrible Tin Metal Sound

heribertomaya

Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

Things I have done/thought about:

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

• Guests
Guest Delete
2 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.

1. I'm curious what shaft you have?
  2. Did you change the flex from before?
  3. Also, where did you order the wedges from?
  4. And this sound is with the same ball you hit with your old wedges?

My guess is your shaft might be the sound amplifier that is making you hear it. 

I asked where you got the clubs from because there are clones out there to be weary of.

Nothing has changed at all beside the club head (same exact shaft,Dynamic Gold S400, ball ) and I ordered directly from Vokey Wedgeworks (since they are custom stamped).  Im so sad and mad at the same time.

• Guests
Guest Delete
10 minutes ago, heribertomaya said:

Nothing has changed at all beside the club head (same exact shaft,Dynamic Gold S400, ball ) and I ordered directly from Vokey Wedgeworks (since they are custom stamped).  Im so sad and mad at the same time.

I would call them to make a complaint. They may have some insight. If nothing else they may offer a refund or rebuild.

This is the first I’ve seen anyone mention any “sound” issues with the sm8 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is the first I’ve seen anyone mention any “sound” issues with the sm8 

im aware of that,  thus im suspicious if this could be an isolated case where somehow mine are "wrong" or something like that.

This probably won't help you but I just put two sm8's (black) in play and there are no sound issues. My guess is that it is something with the shaft, but then with both of being that way I am at a loss. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

My black SM8s are fine, no sound issue.  I'd call up wedgeworks and discuss with them

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I've got an SM8 in the same brushed steel finish that you have.  I went with a different shaft from normal, but have not had any sound issues.  

I did think the SM7 felt/sounded a bit different from my SM6, but can only say good things so far about my SM8.  I have the D grind as well, but it probably makes no difference. 

Best of luck getting it sorted out.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Do you have any friends with SM8 or a pro shop near where you can hit OTR and compare?

My SM7 do sound clickier than my old Mizuno wedges, but definitely not tin metal.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

im aware of that,  thus im suspicious if this could be an isolated case where somehow mine are "wrong" or something like that.

Call them. Best first step ALWAYS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The last two S300/S400 shafts I’ve had produce the same hollow “cheap” sound you mention.

The Cobra wedges, I remember specifically saying they sounded terrible, and the Taylormade wedge was the worst thing I ever hit. Sound wise.

I doubt it’s the head. Almost put money on it’s the shaft, and I’m not a betting man.

I have been using Vokey wedges for years and never had a problem with sound.  I bet it is the shaft but really don't have a clue.  Hopefully customer service will have some ideas.  Let us know what you find out. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

• 1 month later...

I have tour chrome sm8s with DG TI S400 shafts and no problems here. Hope you got it resolved man! Also to those who have brushed metal and jet black finish, how are they holding up?? I’m planning on a switching out my stock 620 CB PW to a 46. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

On 5/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, heribertomaya said:

Did anything else become of your sound?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

6 hours ago, Miboy62 said:

Did anything else become of your sound?

The 60 sounds good and as any other wedge to me now.  Nonetheless, the 56 maintained the tin metal sound........but whatever I learned and will probably never get vokey wedges again after this.  Will be changing the 56 to the new Cleveland when it launches and keep the vokey for range/practice.

9 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

The 60 sounds good and as any other wedge to me now.  Nonetheless, the 56 maintained the tin metal sound........but whatever I learned and will probably never get vokey wedges again after this.  Will be changing the 56 to the new Cleveland when it launches and keep the vokey for range/practice.

Have you tried to call vokey/titleist about the issue?

From reading here and wrx it seems like you may be the only that had this issue 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 10 months later...

I just tried out my SM8 48 degree today in the same finish and it is definitely tinny. The 58 SM8 did not have the same sound. It is very odd. At first I thought I had impacted a rock it was that bad.

Stealth +

816 16.5*

Apex UW

Apex MB 18 5-P

SM8 48,52, 58

24 minutes ago, Shankster said:

It’s the shaft fellas.  True Tempers I’m assuming?

take the grip off and tape the end of the shaft.  That would will be gone.

Isn't there tape at the end of the shaft already?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Isn't there tape at the end of the shaft already?

I would assume so, I just re-gripped my SM8’s and they had tape at the end of the shaft. And for what it’s worth, I haven’t noticed any tinny sound, and that’s with TT DG Wedgeflex, which I believe is the S300.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Hit a friends 56 anc 52 today at the range.  Pure sweetness, really great sounding and feeling.   Can’t wait for my 3 to come in.  My SM7 grooves are getting a bit worn. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've had this same experience with a set of Nike Pro Combo irons.  The 9 just felt tinny and awful while the entire set was pure sauce.

If what you've described is the same then I would bet it's a bad bond.  Someone posted about this a year or so ago with a custom grind Vokey and it was the same thing.  Send it back, no reason you should not get what you paid for.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

This is interesting because this is the first time I'm seeing this post but I got a set of T300's with the added on W1 and W2 fitted (53* and 48*) and have experienced the same thing with them. Every other club in the set has a very satisfying click sound through contact but never get that with those clubs and most of the time it's a very twangy sound, even on short swings like pitching and chipping. Did you figure anything out? I just reached out to my fitter after giving it some time and am going to try to get through there sometime soon to have him take a look. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

47 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Mine didn’t have any.  That’s the problem

Interesting.  No tape at all or just none covering the opening in the end of the shaft.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Interesting.  No tape at all or just none covering the opening in the end of the shaft.  

Just over the end.  Reminds me of my old clubs.  I popped all the tape sticking tees in them as a kid.  They all sounded hollow and garbage can like.  My cobra wedges did this, and that Hi Toe Taylormade with TT shafts.

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2021 at 9:00 AM, Curtis Atkinson said:

This is interesting because this is the first time I'm seeing this post but I got a set of T300's with the added on W1 and W2 fitted (53* and 48*) and have experienced the same thing with them. Every other club in the set has a very satisfying click sound through contact but never get that with those clubs and most of the time it's a very twangy sound, even on short swings like pitching and chipping. Did you figure anything out? I just reached out to my fitter after giving it some time and am going to try to get through there sometime soon to have him take a look. 

Sorry it took so long to update. Turns out I had a very slight crack in the face. 

Stealth +

816 16.5*

Apex UW

Apex MB 18 5-P

SM8 48,52, 58