Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Going from draw/hooks to standard lie to fade/slice with upright lie?

ZenGolfer

Hello all, so I recently came across a sweet deal on a set of Ping G10 XG yellow dot irons.  I believe they are supposed to be 1.5 degrees upright.  Ive been hitting draws and hooks most of the time with y Atomics.

So yesterday I had my first round with the Pings and I was fading or slicing them most of the time.  Assuming they actually are yellow dots that havent been bent to something else, what would cause that?  The shafts are the stock Ping regulars, which actually felt quite good to me, certainly more stable than the shafts the Atomics have.

A more upright lie angle is supposed to cause the ball to go left, so Im kind of confused here about whats going on.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

By yellow I’m assuming you mean gold. I don’t recall seeing yellow form ping. The gold are 4* flat. Would be hard to hit the ball left with a 4* flat lie and not so hard for a right ball flight 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

By yellow I’m assuming you mean gold. I don’t recall seeing yellow form ping. The gold are 4* flat. Would be hard to hit the ball left with a 4* flat lie and not so hard for a right ball flight 

This could very well be the culprit, however back a few years ago there was in fact both a yellow (1.5* up) and a gold (3.75* flat). Might be best to have the lies check to be sure which color they are.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

7 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

This could very well be the culprit, however back a few years ago there was in fact both a yellow (1.5* up) and a gold (3.75* flat). Might be best to have the lies check to be sure which color they are.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Last time I looked was 2018 when I was doing the ping review here. G10 does date back several years so could be yellow. Might have to do some googling. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, Pingistheanser said:

Hello all, so I recently came across a sweet deal on a set of Ping G10 XG yellow dot irons.  I believe they are supposed to be 1.5 degrees upright.  Ive been hitting draws and hooks most of the time with y Atomics.

So yesterday I had my first round with the Pings and I was fading or slicing them most of the time.  Assuming they actually are yellow dots that havent been bent to something else, what would cause that?  The shafts are the stock Ping regulars, which actually felt quite good to me, certainly more stable than the shafts the Atomics have.

A more upright lie angle is supposed to cause the ball to go left, so Im kind of confused here about whats going on.

Lots of things at play here, but you must first know that the Atomics play 3/4" longer than the Pings. And the stock pings are a 1/2 flatter than the Atomics.

For every 1/2" of length added makes the iron play 1 degree more upright. Therefore, the Pings, being 3/4" shorter, technically start at 1.5 degrees flatter than the Atomics. Then factor in the the 1/2" flatter stock and your starting at 2 degrees flatter if they were black dot. 

So even if they are indeed yellow dot and 1.5 degrees upright from Ping standard, they are still a 1/2 degree flatter than your Atomics. 

THEN throw in the fact that the pings are much weaker lofted, and the higher the loft, the more lie angle can affect ball flight. 

So basically your Pings are actually more fade bias than your Atomics, and that is the without even taking into account a shallower CG, swing weight and shaft differences that may be impacting how you deliver the club 

46 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And if that is the case, then coupled with everything else I said above, the pings would be playing about 6 degrees flatter than the Atomics 😯

But looking online, there was definitely g10 yellow dots with 1.5 upright lie angles 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

And if that is the case, then coupled with everything else I said above, the pings would be playing about 6 degrees flatter than the Atomics 😯

But looking online, there was definitely g10 yellow dots with 1.5 upright lie angles 

Current chart on ping’s site has no yellow but I found that they changed it in 2018. So he probably has the yellow but as you mentioned specs between the two aren’t the same and the length/lie could be the issue

https://ping.com/en-us/fitting/custom-fitting/iron-color-code-chart

https://www.spargogolf.com/pages/ping-color-code-chart-fitting-lie-angle

20 hours ago, jlukes said:

Lots of things at play here, but you must first know that the Atomics play 3/4" longer than the Pings. And the stock pings are a 1/2 flatter than the Atomics.

For every 1/2" of length added makes the iron play 1 degree more upright. Therefore, the Pings, being 3/4" shorter, technically start at 1.5 degrees flatter than the Atomics. Then factor in the the 1/2" flatter stock and your starting at 2 degrees flatter if they were black dot. 

So even if they are indeed yellow dot and 1.5 degrees upright from Ping standard, they are still a 1/2 degree flatter than your Atomics. 

THEN throw in the fact that the pings are much weaker lofted, and the higher the loft, the more lie angle can affect ball flight. 

So basically your Pings are actually more fade bias than your Atomics, and that is the without even taking into account a shallower CG, swing weight and shaft differences that may be impacting how you deliver the club 

Wow, nice explanation.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Glad I could help 

Totally.  That was like a mind = blown moment.