Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Chipping/putting around the green

Depends on the situation, but I prefer to chip. Usually comes down to if I like the club-turf interaction. Some exceptions are:

I’m very short-sided

Its a very tight lie inside of 10 feet

Very fast/ extremely downhill green

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 5/8/2020 at 9:24 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It's all about course conditions for me. Im typically a chipper but if the fringe is in good condition and mowed tight I'll putt up to about 2 feet off the green. I have confidence in my chipping thanks to a former co worker that was a scratch golfer at the time. I was new to golf and asked him to give me some lessons. I show up to the course with my full set of shiney new clubs. He told me to put them back in the trunk and come back with a putter and a wedge. For weeks it was chip and putt. He said some day I will thank him. It is one of the strongest parts of my game.

Thanks Phil.

Sounds like you had a wise teacher. My scores improved dramatically when I finally buckled down and started to really focus on and practice chipping and putting.

18 minutes ago, golfwave said:

Sounds like you had a wise teacher. My scores improved dramatically when I finally buckled down and started to really focus on and practice chipping and putting.

He was good. Got to see him make two holes in one in our golf league in the same season. He also told me to use one club around the green and make it do everything. I use a Gap Wedge 50 degrees. I can bump and run by de-lofting by means of a forward press or one hop and stop.  ( Not sand shots or high lob, that's my 56 and 60 respectively) but everything else from 100 yards and in.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have always heard it was best to get the ball on the ground as soon as possible. Sure putting through the fringe is dicey at times, but I believe the variables are less when putting than chipping.  Also, I see a lot of people using the wrong club when chipping.  The 56* up to the 60* are sexy to chip with but are not the best options unless you have no other choice.  My dad and his friends will wear us out with 6 and 7 irons around the greens.  So awesome to watch and the stress level for them is nothing.  

Hit'em straight and not too often!!!

I like to chip from off the green whenever I can.  I use my PW, pick a landing spot and generally get it pretty close

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

12 hours ago, golfwave said:

I enjoy chipping/pitching and putting practice, and I score much better when I practice regularly.  I am amazed by people who head to the range, hit a few balls then go to the 1st tee without chipping or putting.  I only see a few people actually practicing when I am at the course.  I play with a couple of people that would score much better if they spent any time on their short game.  They don't, and they get upset when they chunk or skull easy chip shots.  It got so bad for one guy that he even started putting from the rough.

Some people just don't like practice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

I enjoy chipping/pitching and putting practice, and I score much better when I practice regularly.  I am amazed by people who head to the range, hit a few balls then go to the 1st tee without chipping or putting.  I only see a few people actually practicing when I am at the course.  I play with a couple of people that would score much better if they spent any time on their short game.  They don't, and they get upset when they chunk or skull easy chip shots.  It got so bad for one guy that he even started putting from the rough.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, especially with putting for me. If I’m at a new course or even at the course I’m used to playing, I have to get test out the putting green to see if they’ve been cut recently or if it’s slowing down the roll. I can’t just say “I’ll figure it out on the first couple holes” because that’s where I can three putt easily and get all out of sorts the rest of the round.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

1 minute ago, Mtbryant01 said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly, especially with putting for me. If I’m at a new course or even at the course I’m used to playing, I have to get test out the putting green to see if they’ve been cut recently or if it’s slowing down the roll. I can’t just say “I’ll figure it out on the first couple holes” because that’s where I can three putt easily and get all out of sorts the rest of the round.

It also makes a difference if you are used to playing the same course in the mornings, but happen to have an afternoon tee time...  or vice versa.  There is nothing quite like getting surprised on the first hole!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

19 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I kind of draw a line between warming up to play and actual practice.  If I'm warming up before a round, my putting is primarily done to evaluate the green speed.  Same with a little chipping, I'm looking to understand the bounce of the ball.  But that doesn't take very long, so I'm really not spending much time on short game stuff. 

Practice is significantly different, maybe I'm working on hitting my line, or on specific chip or pitch shot set-ups and techniques, that can take a lot longer.  I feel like I'm pretty competent with my short game, so don't spend much time practicing it, I spend most of my practice trying to maintain and improve my full swing.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, CHoyle14 said:

I have always heard it was best to get the ball on the ground as soon as possible.

The sooner you can get the ball rolling on a flat surface the more predictable its path will be. However, that also means that sometimes a chip is required to carry less predictable surfaces between the ball and the green - in some cases the green could even have some bare spots etc. that you'd want to avoid. I also think it depends greatly on what each individual golfer's strengths are (same with club selection). Generalizations are often made to account for the high handicap golfer, but do little to address all golfers and skillsets.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I kind of draw a line between warming up to play and actual practice.  If I'm warming up before a round, my putting is primarily done to evaluate the green speed.  Same with a little chipping, I'm looking to understand the bounce of the ball.  But that doesn't take very long, so I'm really not spending much time on short game stuff. 

Practice is significantly different, maybe I'm working on hitting my line, or on specific chip or pitch shot set-ups and techniques, that can take a lot longer.  I feel like I'm pretty competent with my short game, so don't spend much time practicing it, I spend most of my practice trying to maintain and improve my full swing.

I agree with this.

My normal routine (when time and place allow) is to hit a small bucket working from wedge up to driver then focusing on problematic shots or shots I expect to see out on the course. After that, I'll head to the practice green to chip and putt. Considering I practice putting all the time at home, I'll sometimes skip putting if pressed for time or I just find that I'm struggling a bit with chipping and need to spend a bit of extra time on it before the round.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

So do I.  I was commenting about the number of people that don't even do the warmup short game stuff.  When I play I do as you; maybe hit 10 chips and putts to see if I am aware of the current day's greens.  As I said, there are just a few people I ever see REALLY practicing.  I'm confident in my short game IF I put in the time I feel I need to maintain it.  The people that I play with get very upset because they don't chip or putt very well.  They don't spend any time on the green before playing, and I know they never practice.  I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "You are performing as expected for the amount of practice you do."

Agree with others that it's very situational.  Depends on the lie, uphill or downhill on the green, how I'm feeling that day (and THAT becomes more of an issue with every passing year!), grain of the fringe (or longer grass if I miss the fringe), etc.  Putt with an iron or hybrid, pitch sometimes, just depends on what I think I can get close at the time.

As my Dad taught me way back in the 70s, “Get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible.” This doesn’t mean to PUTT everything, but rolling the bull to the cup is more accurate, and forgiving, than trying to fly it all the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• Guests
Guest Delete

I choose what I feel will get the ball closer to the hole by accessing the lie, distance, and break. 

Anything more than a foot or two of primo fringe would usually be a chip for me. 

Like many comments, I think it depends on the situation and even more on the ability of the player.  E all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Personally, until recently, I have been watching the pros and my really good golfer buddies and see what they do which makes me think "thats the shot I need to take or supposed to do" instead of what can I do or do I actually have that shot in my bag.  The golf swing and golf game/strategy is personal to each person playing it with all varying ability levels.  I found myself hitting thin and fat shots way more often than successful ones trying to chip from the fringe, so I made an effort to use my putter on the fringe and try to learn as many different types of chip shots outside of that.  I dont think everyone has perhaps the ability but more so the consistent amount time it takes to develop many difference shots.  

I've been working a lot on my wedges around the green. This year is the first time in a while I feel very confident pulling out a wedge on the fringe. On slippery downhill stuff I will usually put. If I'm really confident in my read and it's a medium-ish distance I put. Shorter and longer I feel really good with a wedge. I'd be curious if I'd score better if I putted more around the green, but I really like chipping...

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

On 5/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Mtbryant01 said:

I want to hear your thoughts on if you always putt no matter what if your close enough to the green or do you like to chip? I know there are a lot of factors (bunkers, rough lie, position of pin), but what is your go to? 

Unpopular opinion from what I’ve been told, but I like to get one of my wedges out and chip. I like the feel and can get it close to the hole for a lot of up and downs. Doesn’t mean I have an occasional blade/chunk, but it’s something I’m confident in. 

I feel the same. Around the green sometimes would make more sense to put but I would still chip.

reason is I am trying to be a better player and as you can see in tv pros almost each time chip.

also when chipping there is no s3cond guess on what the ball would do in the rough path before the green..

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

I see lost of people using the Texas Wedge around the greens and struggling. I was taught to chip properly and unless the surface is almost as good as the green, I will always chip. If the ball finishes more than 1M from the hole you will hear me curse under my breath. I should point out that I am an excellent putter and I do think the two go hand in hand as reading the green and the speed is always going to be key.

The one thing that does surprise me is that most golfers do not know the 5 rules to chipping.

1. 90% of weight on front foot. I was taught to chip standing only on 1 foot.

2. Hands in front off the ball.

3. Ball position, to go high -  just inside front foot heel : to go low - just inside rear foot heel- NEVER in the middle. In my case my stance is narrow, about 14" outside to outside.

4. Back shoulder down so that your head is still over the middle of your stance. This is the one I find people do not know about. You actually end up with a curved back as your weight still needs to stay on your front foot.

5. Do not de-accelerate and let the club do the work.

Of course before you do any of the above you need to have read the green to decide height, break and length.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I typically chip, but thats because I play mostly public tracks where even if they are all in good condition speed can very tremendously.  I think its an absolute weapon when someone can putt accurately from off the green because it just typically puts less variables into play and most peoples distance control will be better, it something I'd do more if I played the same course consistently and it was always well maintained. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M