Mtbryant01

Chipping/putting around the green

Our Sponsors

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I kind of draw a line between warming up to play and actual practice.  If I'm warming up before a round, my putting is primarily done to evaluate the green speed.  Same with a little chipping, I'm looking to understand the bounce of the ball.  But that doesn't take very long, so I'm really not spending much time on short game stuff. 

Practice is significantly different, maybe I'm working on hitting my line, or on specific chip or pitch shot set-ups and techniques, that can take a lot longer.  I feel like I'm pretty competent with my short game, so don't spend much time practicing it, I spend most of my practice trying to maintain and improve my full swing.

I agree with this.

My normal routine (when time and place allow) is to hit a small bucket working from wedge up to driver then focusing on problematic shots or shots I expect to see out on the course. After that, I'll head to the practice green to chip and putt. Considering I practice putting all the time at home, I'll sometimes skip putting if pressed for time or I just find that I'm struggling a bit with chipping and need to spend a bit of extra time on it before the round.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I kind of draw a line between warming up to play and actual practice.  If I'm warming up before a round, my putting is primarily done to evaluate the green speed.  Same with a little chipping, I'm looking to understand the bounce of the ball.  But that doesn't take very long, so I'm really not spending much time on short game stuff. 

Practice is significantly different, maybe I'm working on hitting my line, or on specific chip or pitch shot set-ups and techniques, that can take a lot longer.  I feel like I'm pretty competent with my short game, so don't spend much time practicing it, I spend most of my practice trying to maintain and improve my full swing.

So do I.  I was commenting about the number of people that don't even do the warmup short game stuff.  When I play I do as you; maybe hit 10 chips and putts to see if I am aware of the current day's greens.  As I said, there are just a few people I ever see REALLY practicing.  I'm confident in my short game IF I put in the time I feel I need to maintain it.  The people that I play with get very upset because they don't chip or putt very well.  They don't spend any time on the green before playing, and I know they never practice.  I have to bite my tongue to keep from saying "You are performing as expected for the amount of practice you do."

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Agree with others that it's very situational.  Depends on the lie, uphill or downhill on the green, how I'm feeling that day (and THAT becomes more of an issue with every passing year!), grain of the fringe (or longer grass if I miss the fringe), etc.  Putt with an iron or hybrid, pitch sometimes, just depends on what I think I can get close at the time.

I'm absolutely garbage putting from off the green.  But I practice tight lie chipping in my living room about 4 hours a day so I'm pretty comfortable with it. 

As my Dad taught me way back in the 70s, “Get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible.” This doesn’t mean to PUTT everything, but rolling the bull to the cup is more accurate, and forgiving, than trying to fly it all the way there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Guest Delete

I choose what I feel will get the ball closer to the hole by accessing the lie, distance, and break. 

Anything more than a foot or two of primo fringe would usually be a chip for me. 

Like many comments, I think it depends on the situation and even more on the ability of the player.  E all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Personally, until recently, I have been watching the pros and my really good golfer buddies and see what they do which makes me think "thats the shot I need to take or supposed to do" instead of what can I do or do I actually have that shot in my bag.  The golf swing and golf game/strategy is personal to each person playing it with all varying ability levels.  I found myself hitting thin and fat shots way more often than successful ones trying to chip from the fringe, so I made an effort to use my putter on the fringe and try to learn as many different types of chip shots outside of that.  I dont think everyone has perhaps the ability but more so the consistent amount time it takes to develop many difference shots.  

• Love 1

I've been working a lot on my wedges around the green. This year is the first time in a while I feel very confident pulling out a wedge on the fringe. On slippery downhill stuff I will usually put. If I'm really confident in my read and it's a medium-ish distance I put. Shorter and longer I feel really good with a wedge. I'd be curious if I'd score better if I putted more around the green, but I really like chipping...

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I mean it really depends on the situation. There's 100 ways to skin a platypus! 

On 5/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Mtbryant01 said:

I want to hear your thoughts on if you always putt no matter what if your close enough to the green or do you like to chip? I know there are a lot of factors (bunkers, rough lie, position of pin), but what is your go to? 

Unpopular opinion from what I’ve been told, but I like to get one of my wedges out and chip. I like the feel and can get it close to the hole for a lot of up and downs. Doesn’t mean I have an occasional blade/chunk, but it’s something I’m confident in. 

I feel the same. Around the green sometimes would make more sense to put but I would still chip.

reason is I am trying to be a better player and as you can see in tv pros almost each time chip.

also when chipping there is no s3cond guess on what the ball would do in the rough path before the green..

• Like 1

:callaway-small:Mavrik 10.5 Graphite Design TourAD TP5s

:callaway-small: Mavrik 15 Project X Evenflow Riptide

:callaway-small: Apex 3H Project X Catalyst 

PXG 0211 4-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80g

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB Black

I see lost of people using the Texas Wedge around the greens and struggling. I was taught to chip properly and unless the surface is almost as good as the green, I will always chip. If the ball finishes more than 1M from the hole you will hear me curse under my breath. I should point out that I am an excellent putter and I do think the two go hand in hand as reading the green and the speed is always going to be key.

The one thing that does surprise me is that most golfers do not know the 5 rules to chipping.

1. 90% of weight on front foot. I was taught to chip standing only on 1 foot.

2. Hands in front off the ball.

3. Ball position, to go high -  just inside front foot heel : to go low - just inside rear foot heel- NEVER in the middle. In my case my stance is narrow, about 14" outside to outside.

4. Back shoulder down so that your head is still over the middle of your stance. This is the one I find people do not know about. You actually end up with a curved back as your weight still needs to stay on your front foot.

5. Do not de-accelerate and let the club do the work.

Of course before you do any of the above you need to have read the green to decide height, break and length.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 3-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Anything that is free, or Titlist Pro V1

I typically chip, but thats because I play mostly public tracks where even if they are all in good condition speed can very tremendously.  I think its an absolute weapon when someone can putt accurately from off the green because it just typically puts less variables into play and most peoples distance control will be better, it something I'd do more if I played the same course consistently and it was always well maintained. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Depends on whats in front, grain, direction, and how much room I have and if greens are table tops or flat etc.  Fine using eithre based on what the shot needs.