TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vijah in Korn Ferry Tour- good or bad

Vijay, who has held #1 ranking and has " forever pga " your membership !- is he taking up space for a young golfer trying to get to the pga Tour- or is it good for publicity of the tournee and his right to enter. Both sides have some merit- what do you think

Cobra Driver, 3 wood, 4,5 hybrids, callaway irons,

He needs to quit being selfish and leave that Tour and its spots for guys trying to earn their cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Vijay hasn't made a cut in a while, you could argue he has always played hard his whole career. He is playing to get back on track and qualifies for this tournament.  I've always liked Vijay, of course I like Patrick Reed and John Daley too

Vijay earned the privilege, what he's doing is completely within the rules set up by the PGA  and KF Tours.  I can understand the objections, but those who are complaining would be better served to try to get the rules changed rather than vilify a guy who is simply following the rules.  I've wondered, once I read that this is Vijay's home course, whether the organizers asked him to play, to increase interest in the event.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My Take is Professional Golf tournaments are business, which need to make a profit.

When a big name plays, may it be a celebrity or athlete it drives up profits. This favors everyone in the field, except the dude that didn’t get a spot in the field and anyone who gets beat by Vijay; in this case.

To the dude that doesn’t get the last invite and the guys Vijay beats, I say “play better”.

Professional Tournament golf is a “competition”.

Now would I, if I were a hall of fame player play in a minor league event?

No but maybe that mentality is why I don’t dominate golf tournaments at even my local amateur level.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

Its probably good from a money standpoint but its bad in the presceident that it sets for the future.  How many washed-up tour pros who arent old enough to qualify for the Champions Tour are now going to take up sports on the KFT whenever they want, taking spots away from young players who need time on the KFT to hone their skills and gain experience and try to get the tour card?

IMO, it would be much like if you had an aging, HOF baseball player who wasnt really good enough to play in the majors anymore but didnt want to hang it up, so they played in the minors.  Lets say then, that lots of lots of washed-up players who werent good enough to play in the majors just decided to stick it out in the minors.  How would that effect younger players and their development?

Even still, its just kind of a jerk move on Vijay's part.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

3 minutes ago, Pingistheanser said:

Its probably good from a money standpoint but its bad in the presceident that it sets for the future.  How many washed-up tour pros who arent old enough to qualify for the Champions Tour are now going to take up sports on the KFT whenever they want, taking spots away from young players who need time on the KFT to hone their skills and gain experience and try to get the tour card?

Perhaps you haven't read this, but these guys cannot "take up residence" on the Korn Ferry Tour. 

If you’re wondering how Singh is in the field to begin with, the PGA Tour resumes that same week at the Charles Schwab Challenge, but Singh’s lifetime Tour status won’t get him into the field at Colonial. As an alternative, Tour rules allow fully exempt Tour players to compete in Korn Ferry events when they’re not qualified for that week’s PGA Tour event.

Vijay is anxious to get back to competition, and he's playing the absolute highest-level competition he is eligible for.  And he is following the rules that govern the PGA and Korn Ferry Tours.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Why complain about Vijay and not Alex Cejka?

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/veteran-alex-cejka-wins-outlaw-tour-event

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Or Ben Crane... or Steph Curry...?

Concerning Steph Curry, and Tony Romo, they were a sponsors invitations, not entered as a member of the Tour.  But I think the real answer is that at best Vijay wasn't an outgoing well-liked individual, and has some allegations of cheating in his past.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It seems to me that it depends on how you see the KFT.

If it's a way to make a living, it's unseemly for the 4th all-time money winner to jump in.

If it's a path to the PGA Tour, and you can't beat a 57-year-old Vijay, you're not good enough.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Last season VJ had 2 MC's, a 6th place at the Honda, then another 6 MC's in a row.  He's currently ranked 849th in the world.  To any KF tour player complaining about having him in the field...If you are afraid of playing a 57yr old in the twilight of his career who made one cut on tour in the last 9 starts, maybe you should find a different line of work.

Now if you're VJ and win any money from the event, please donate it to a worthy cause, I'm fairly certain you are playing for the competition, not the money.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just now, GolfSpy MPR said:

It seems to me that it depends on how you see the KFT.

If it's a way to make a living, it's unseemly for the 4th all-time money winner to jump in.

If it's a path to the PGA Tour, and you can't beat a 57-year-old Vijay, you're not good enough.

And Vijay is ranked something like #849 in the world.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I think @DaveP043 probably said it best in his first response. Vijay is playing within the rules and has every right to compete. He didn't qualify for the PGA event that week and there is no event scheduled on the Champions Tour. He is electing to play a competitive round at the highest level available to him. Props to the man nearing retirement age who has zero issue taking on a bunch of 20-somethings.

I do agree with @hckymeyer though. Any money Vijay collects from the tournament should be donated to a charity or waived and dispersed among the other players competing (if possible). Seeing as he is already very wealthy and a check from the KFT would do little for his bank account, he is clearly looking to grind and compete. He should be allowed to do so.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Concerning Steph Curry, and Tony Romo, they were a sponsors invitations, not entered as a member of the Tour.  But I think the real answer is that at best Vijay wasn't an outgoing well-liked individual, and has some allegations of cheating in his past.  

Yeah I knew that they were invited. But you didn’t hear anyone else’s name while they were playing.

In Regards to those suggestioning Vijay donate  all his earnings, from the event don’t hold your breath.

Remember Vijay sued the PGA tour for tens of millions, after he failed a drug test. Ya think this is a guy is overly concerned about what his peers think of him?

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Perhaps you haven't read this, but these guys cannot "take up residence" on the Korn Ferry Tour. 

Vijay is anxious to get back to competition, and he's playing the absolute highest-level competition he is eligible for.  And he is following the rules that govern the PGA and Korn Ferry Tours.

It doesnt matter.  He should just go to the Champions Tour where he belongs.  He has absolutely no business playing on the KFT, IMO.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

7 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I think @DaveP043 probably said it best in his first response. Vijay is playing within the rules and has every right to compete. He didn't qualify for the PGA event that week and there is no event scheduled on the Champions Tour. He is electing to play a competitive round at the highest level available to him. Props to the man nearing retirement age who has zero issue taking on a bunch of 20-somethings.

I do agree with @hckymeyer though. Any money Vijay collects from the tournament should be donated to a charity or waived and dispersed among the other players competing (if possible). Seeing as he is already very wealthy and a check from the KFT would do little for his bank account, he is clearly looking to grind and compete. He should be allowed to do so.

I agree 100% - good for Vijay to try to move back up to contention by playing in a tournament that he qualified for. Looking to other sports, how different is this than a major leaguer going to the minor leagues in an attempt to improve and return to the big leagues

• 2 weeks later...

more like Michael Jordan in the minor leagues...

I realize you have to be in the field to make it happen, but has to be a good experience to say you played with or against VJ and hopefully beat him. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On 5/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, Bob M said:

Vijay, who has held #1 ranking and has " forever pga " your membership !- is he taking up space for a young golfer trying to get to the pga Tour- or is it good for publicity of the tournee and his right to enter. Both sides have some merit- what do you think

In my opinion he has the right to play if he wants to based on current criteria.  I do believe that he should not play but as long as he can he has that right.  At what point do you say a golfer can't play.  You might not like some of the Rules of Golf but you abide by them as they are the rules.  They help some people and hurt others.  If enough golfers opinions disagree with the present criteria that allow golfer such as ViJay to play maybe they can get the present criteria changed to prevent golfers of his stature from playing.

I agree he has the right to play. The tournament probably will benefit financially as he is a former major champion and can help with marketing (ticket/sponsor sales). Provided he's not making cuts/playing poorly,  I would rather have him in a KF tournament than taking a spot(by sponsor exemption) that could go to a good young player in a PGA event. Plus the guys on the KF tour can say they got to play with a former major champion. No problem for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that even if probably not the best move from him, the Koran ferry tour don not need to be scared of his presence. At the end is golf and he at this stage of career is not necessarily better of any of those top guys there.

so if I was playing on that tournament it would be an extra reason to do better!

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, ZenGolfer said:

IMO, it would be much like if you had an aging, HOF baseball player who wasnt really good enough to play in the majors anymore but didnt want to hang it up, so they played in the minors.  Lets say then, that lots of lots of washed-up players who werent good enough to play in the majors just decided to stick it out in the minors.  How would that effect younger players and their development?

Even still, its just kind of a jerk move on Vijay's part.

Richard Bland, perfect example of why it should be done. Wish he wold have won the US Open.