Central Virginia Golf Course Conditions and Updates

Our Sponsors

Hi Everyone,

I play in a group that gets the opportunity to play multiple courses in and around Central Virginia.  It might be cool to post course condition updates to share with each other.

IE:  Piankatank River Golf Club  Hartfield VA

Played 5-7-2020

Course is in good condition.  Fairways aren't all the way in yet due to cool temps and extra rain.  Greens are healthy but were slower (6-8 estimated stimp).  Staff is super friendly and helpful, especially in light of the current Covid Conditions.  Range grass is in good shape.  The putting practice green is healthy, just a little "shaggy" (I guess they are keeping it long due to the cool nights and extra rain).  

Food was available for take out orders.

If you are in the area, I recommend playing Piankatank.

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

On 5/9/2020 at 10:01 AM, Gman24 said:

Hi Everyone,

I play in a group that gets the opportunity to play multiple courses in and around Central Virginia.  It might be cool to post course condition updates to share with each other.

IE:  Piankatank River Golf Club  Hartfield VA

Played 5-7-2020

Course is in good condition.  Fairways aren't all the way in yet due to cool temps and extra rain.  Greens are healthy but were slower (6-8 estimated stimp).  Staff is super friendly and helpful, especially in light of the current Covid Conditions.  Range grass is in good shape.  The putting practice green is healthy, just a little "shaggy" (I guess they are keeping it long due to the cool nights and extra rain).  

Food was available for take out orders.

If you are in the area, I recommend playing Piankatank.

That place is great on Tuesdays! all you can play for the normal price

• Like 1

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

It's funny how Virginians divide Virginia.  To those of us in southwest Virginia,  central Virginia is Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Appomattox.  Piankatank would be eastern Virginia or maybe even Tidewater.  Most Virginian's in the east and north divide the state north and south.  Everyone in SWVA divides the state east and west.  It's almost like two different states.

Anyway, played Piankatank a couple times with the local high school leading into the VHSL state tournament.  I believe it was 2006 and 2010.  It was a 5-1/2 hour drive to get there and a little more than 350 miles.  We did win the team state championship there in 2010.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It's funny how Virginians divide Virginia.  To those of us in southwest Virginia,  central Virginia is Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Appomattox.  Piankatank would be eastern Virginia or maybe even Tidewater.  Most Virginian's in the east and north divide the state north and south.  Everyone in SWVA divides the state east and west.  It's almost like two different states.

Anyway, played Piankatank a couple times with the local high school leading into the VHSL state tournament.  I believe it was 2006 and 2010.  It was a 5-1/2 hour drive to get there and a little more than 350 miles.  We did win the team state championship there in 2010.

Hey Sixcat,  RE: VA Areas:  LOL   So true.  I lived in Appomattox for a couple years, so I understand the sentiment.  Hit them well!

• Like 1

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

4 minutes ago, Gman24 said:

Hey Sixcat,  RE: VA Areas:  LOL   So true.  I lived in Appomattox for a couple years, so I understand the sentiment.  Hit them well!

I was born and raised in Grayson County smack in the middle of the 1.8 million acre Jefferson National Forest.  It's a part of the state Richmond has forgotten and many don't even know exists.  People will send there kids to Virginia Tech but never explore the beautiful surroundings outside of Blacksburg.  Most Virginian's would never know, parts of SWVA are actually west of Detroit!  Most think the state stops at Blacksburg.  I'm not complaining, it's just always been a fascination with me. 

I have found that golf is a microcosm of society in this regard.  Folks in North Carolina flock to SWVA to play golf but folks in NOVA and Tidewater won't give it a second thought.  Which is a shame because SWVA has some of the best golf you will ever find....anywhere.  I would put Olde Farm, Ballyhack, Primland, The Virginian, Draper and Olde Mill up against anyone.  

I once had a coworker in Roanoke argue that Oak Hill Academy was in Tennessee.  It's actually in Grayson County, Virginia and would be significantly closer to North Carolina than Tennessee but he was certain he drove into Tennessee to watch a home game.

If you're ever down this way, let me know.  

• Like 1