TESTERS WANTED! ×

Central Virginia Golf Course Conditions and Updates

Gman24

Hi Everyone,

I play in a group that gets the opportunity to play multiple courses in and around Central Virginia.  It might be cool to post course condition updates to share with each other.

IE:  Piankatank River Golf Club  Hartfield VA

Played 5-7-2020

Course is in good condition.  Fairways aren't all the way in yet due to cool temps and extra rain.  Greens are healthy but were slower (6-8 estimated stimp).  Staff is super friendly and helpful, especially in light of the current Covid Conditions.  Range grass is in good shape.  The putting practice green is healthy, just a little "shaggy" (I guess they are keeping it long due to the cool nights and extra rain).  

Food was available for take out orders.

If you are in the area, I recommend playing Piankatank.

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

On 5/9/2020 at 10:01 AM, Gman24 said:

Hi Everyone,

I play in a group that gets the opportunity to play multiple courses in and around Central Virginia.  It might be cool to post course condition updates to share with each other.

IE:  Piankatank River Golf Club  Hartfield VA

Played 5-7-2020

Course is in good condition.  Fairways aren't all the way in yet due to cool temps and extra rain.  Greens are healthy but were slower (6-8 estimated stimp).  Staff is super friendly and helpful, especially in light of the current Covid Conditions.  Range grass is in good shape.  The putting practice green is healthy, just a little "shaggy" (I guess they are keeping it long due to the cool nights and extra rain).  

Food was available for take out orders.

If you are in the area, I recommend playing Piankatank.

That place is great on Tuesdays! all you can play for the normal price

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

It's funny how Virginians divide Virginia.  To those of us in southwest Virginia,  central Virginia is Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Appomattox.  Piankatank would be eastern Virginia or maybe even Tidewater.  Most Virginian's in the east and north divide the state north and south.  Everyone in SWVA divides the state east and west.  It's almost like two different states.

Anyway, played Piankatank a couple times with the local high school leading into the VHSL state tournament.  I believe it was 2006 and 2010.  It was a 5-1/2 hour drive to get there and a little more than 350 miles.  We did win the team state championship there in 2010.

48 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It's funny how Virginians divide Virginia.  To those of us in southwest Virginia,  central Virginia is Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Appomattox.  Piankatank would be eastern Virginia or maybe even Tidewater.  Most Virginian's in the east and north divide the state north and south.  Everyone in SWVA divides the state east and west.  It's almost like two different states.

Anyway, played Piankatank a couple times with the local high school leading into the VHSL state tournament.  I believe it was 2006 and 2010.  It was a 5-1/2 hour drive to get there and a little more than 350 miles.  We did win the team state championship there in 2010.

Hey Sixcat,  RE: VA Areas:  LOL   So true.  I lived in Appomattox for a couple years, so I understand the sentiment.  Hit them well!

4 minutes ago, Gman24 said:

Hey Sixcat,  RE: VA Areas:  LOL   So true.  I lived in Appomattox for a couple years, so I understand the sentiment.  Hit them well!

I was born and raised in Grayson County smack in the middle of the 1.8 million acre Jefferson National Forest.  It's a part of the state Richmond has forgotten and many don't even know exists.  People will send there kids to Virginia Tech but never explore the beautiful surroundings outside of Blacksburg.  Most Virginian's would never know, parts of SWVA are actually west of Detroit!  Most think the state stops at Blacksburg.  I'm not complaining, it's just always been a fascination with me. 

I have found that golf is a microcosm of society in this regard.  Folks in North Carolina flock to SWVA to play golf but folks in NOVA and Tidewater won't give it a second thought.  Which is a shame because SWVA has some of the best golf you will ever find....anywhere.  I would put Olde Farm, Ballyhack, Primland, The Virginian, Draper and Olde Mill up against anyone.  

I once had a coworker in Roanoke argue that Oak Hill Academy was in Tennessee.  It's actually in Grayson County, Virginia and would be significantly closer to North Carolina than Tennessee but he was certain he drove into Tennessee to watch a home game.

If you're ever down this way, let me know.  

• 1 year later...

Revisiting an old thread...

I turn 40 in the spring and a group of us would like to head south (from Pittsburgh) for a golf weekend. Looking for someplace not too far south or east. Small town with golf & breweries are a must. We'd probably rent an AirBnB versus a hotel. No resorts. Some guys are high handicappers so nothing too nice either.

Any places you recommend I'd appreciate it.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

5 minutes ago, FightingScot82 said:

Revisiting an old thread...

I turn 40 in the spring and a group of us would like to head south (from Pittsburgh) for a golf weekend. Looking for someplace not too far south or east. Small town with golf & breweries are a must. We'd probably rent an AirBnB versus a hotel. No resorts. Some guys are high handicappers so nothing too nice either.

Any places you recommend I'd appreciate it.

I am uncertain what too far might be for you, but you cannot go wrong with the Williamsburg Virginia Area.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

That might be pushing it. I guess Northern VA is ideal but we'd venture into the mountains for the right place.

Consider Frederick, MD.  A nice smaller town, some good restaurants and pubs, a bunch of good golf courses within reasonable drives.  Off the top of my head I can think of Whiskey Creek, Worthington Manor, And Musket Ridge, and I know there are more.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I played a Shamble Tournament at Stonehouse in Toano, Virginia on Saturday November 6.  They have struggled with reviews from previous ownership and a poor relaunch with bad greens.  They have installed a "shade tolerant" bermuda grass on the greens.  The greens are much better and just need some seasoning and continued care and they should be even better.  They seem to be investing in the course and amenities.  The course design is interesting and challenging, but very negotiable if you plan your shots.  

The greens fees seem a bit high, but that is probably good to help keep play at a level that gives the greens time to completely set.  I recommend giving them a try and giving them feedback once you have played.  This course helps create an amazing collection of very different courses in the New Kent and surrounding areas in Virginia.

Area Courses:  You could plan a golf vacation to rural New Kent, enjoy the wineries and play 6 very different courses.

Brookwood Golf Club

The Club at Viniterra

Royal New Kent

Brickshire

Kiskiack

Stonehouse

1 minute ago, Gman24 said:

HI,

I played a Shamble Tournament at Stonehouse in Toano, Virginia on Saturday November 6.  They have struggled with reviews from previous ownership and a poor relaunch with bad greens.  They have installed a "shade tolerant" bermuda grass on the greens.  The greens are much better and just need some seasoning and continued care and they should be even better.  They seem to be investing in the course and amenities.  The course design is interesting and challenging, but very negotiable if you plan your shots.  

The greens fees seem a bit high, but that is probably good to help keep play at a level that gives the greens time to completely set.  I recommend giving them a try and giving them feedback once you have played.  This course helps create an amazing collection of very different courses in the New Kent and surrounding areas in Virginia.

Area Courses:  You could plan a golf vacation to rural New Kent, enjoy the wineries and play 6 very different courses.

Brookwood Golf Club

The Club at Viniterra

Royal New Kent

Brickshire

Kiskiack

Stonehouse

Definitely a good collection of courses.   Played Stonehouse many years ago, but current rates are way too high for the area and I won’t play for that simple reason.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Anybody ever played Meadows Farms in Locust Grove outside of Fredericksburg? I know its gimmicky but wondered if its worth playing while I pass through in the spring.

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 12:15 PM, FightingScot82 said:

Anybody ever played Meadows Farms in Locust Grove outside of Fredericksburg? I know its gimmicky but wondered if its worth playing while I pass through in the spring.

UPDATE: played Meadows Farms on 4/29 & 4/30. On Friday my group played the Island and Waterfall nines, then Longest & Island on Saturday. Overall, this is a very fun course. A pessimist might say there are some gimmick holes but most are pretty fun. The longest hole is long but doesn't feel as long as I thought it would. We had a lot of fun playing and would suggest if you're in the area.

Management has been outsourced to a local company that also runs The Gauntlet and Somerset Farms. The staff were super friendly. To some the course could be considered pricey - $55 on weekends but there are deals on their site/app to pre-pay for a discount (similar to a hotel).

The "restaurant" is more of a snack counter with 6 pack sales. Its pricey - $4 for a thick hot dog. They do have a small cottage on the property that sleeps 8 (tightly) but it looks a bit rough. The upside is that you get unlimited golf while staying. We elected to rent an AirBnB about 20 minutes away.

My only complaint is that the course was dry and rock hard - tees, greens, fairways, etc. The greens didn't hold much and rarely did we leave a ball mark, even when our shots checked. Do they not water in VA? This affected play but not the fun.