Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Adapting with golf irons

Jin

Hi players, 

A question on my side.

i am currently doing some buying and selling of golf equipment as part time. 
so landed myself with these 3 iron sets, which are my favs:

~Titleist AP2 716, fitted withs steelfiber i80 stiff

~mizuno MP18 MB fitted with steelfiber i80 stiff as well

~Srixon Z745 D300 

while i currently have been switch between mp18 and 716, and play consistently to 17HC,  but I think i may have jumped too far ahead with assumption of my skills to execute these wonderful irons. 

I thought or have been thinking to switching to a more fogiving irons to ensure more consistency in ball striking. 
jumped up with joy when a set of srixon z745 dropped onto my hand. Beautiful irons and read that it is forgiving with shot playability. All 3 have not too much diff offset or loft, but only the sole is slightly thicker for Srixon.

But based on my swing, mizuno has the more accurate and straight flight of all. But distance and consistency of ball striking is not to my wish. AP2 is fine and slightly better  overall: with a  slight pull. But Srixon, while i love the looks and perceived forgiveness, the ball just keep pulling more. My swing is the same. It may not be best but it works for me. 

so my question to the players here, other than my skill problem, are there difference between these irons?
Are forgiving irons or thicker sole tend to encourage close face? Would love to understand more. 

31D813B2-E3D3-4826-BDC8-DC4FFD840EB5.jpeg

Do you know the lie angles on each?  Were they bent by the previous owners? If they are too upright a pull is often the result!  From the standard specs the Mizuno (60.5*) is slightly flatter, but the Srixon (61*) is next and the AP2 (62*) is most upright.

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

Thanks Granata. Hmm You are right. The mizunoand ap2 has been fitted to more slightly upright. Due to my height and swing path closer to me. It does feel a bit closed when i hold the srixon. Thanks for enhancing my limited knowledge haha.

Does thickness of sole makes a difference as well? 

In addition to the lie, there is most likely a difference in the shafts that could also impact the way you deliver the club face. The thickness and shape of the sole will mostly impact turf interaction. The v-sole on the Srixon should minimize digging.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:
pxg-small.jpg 0811 Prototype Driver: (10.5 / s-flex)
image.png.cb4b01bb138fdc7ddf4f5e9396a76d82.png   Sub 70 Pro Tour Fairway 3W (15 / s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0341 Prototype, 5W (18, s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0311, 4-PW, (+1/2" / +2 up) ProjX LZ 6.0
pxg-small.jpg 0311 wedges, 52, 56, 60 degree
TommyArmour.jpg.d3c9da7d74a401e95b625f92af834200.jpg Impact No.3, Putter 35"

Dexterity: Right-handed

5 hours ago, Jin said:

Thanks Granata. Hmm You are right. The mizunoand ap2 has been fitted to more slightly upright. Due to my height and swing path closer to me. It does feel a bit closed when i hold the srixon. Thanks for enhancing my limited knowledge haha.

Does thickness of sole makes a difference as well? 

Thickness of the sole shouldn't make you pull the ball.  I would start with lie angles and go from there.  Like @Tap In said, what shafts are in each club?  That can also have a factor in how you hit the ball.

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/10/2020 at 3:45 AM, Jin said:

Hi players, 

A question on my side.

i am currently doing some buying and selling of golf equipment as part time. 
so landed myself with these 3 iron sets, which are my favs:

~Titleist AP2 716, fitted withs steelfiber i80 stiff

~mizuno MP18 MB fitted with steelfiber i80 stiff as well

~Srixon Z745 D300 

while i currently have been switch between mp18 and 716, and play consistently to 17HC,  but I think i may have jumped too far ahead with assumption of my skills to execute these wonderful irons. 

I thought or have been thinking to switching to a more fogiving irons to ensure more consistency in ball striking. 
jumped up with joy when a set of srixon z745 dropped onto my hand. Beautiful irons and read that it is forgiving with shot playability. All 3 have not too much diff offset or loft, but only the sole is slightly thicker for Srixon.

But based on my swing, mizuno has the more accurate and straight flight of all. But distance and consistency of ball striking is not to my wish. AP2 is fine and slightly better  overall: with a  slight pull. But Srixon, while i love the looks and perceived forgiveness, the ball just keep pulling more. My swing is the same. It may not be best but it works for me. 

so my question to the players here, other than my skill problem, are there difference between these irons?
Are forgiving irons or thicker sole tend to encourage close face? Would love to understand more. 

31D813B2-E3D3-4826-BDC8-DC4FFD840EB5.jpeg

You are in an interesting position because all the irons you mentioned have the sweet spot in about the same place from 1.1-1.2 inches from the center of the hosel. This means you would be much better off hitting the ball just inside the middle of the face. This is hard to do without having a consistent swing. 

The most forgiving Titleist, Srixon, Mizuno in that order. (To least) 

The heaviest head Mizuno, Titleist, Srixon to lightest. 

Mizuno having the heavier head by 2-3 grams might be why you hit it straight. 

The lighter head on the Srixon can be harder to know where it is, combined with the COG being closest to the hosel this is why I never like Srixon. 

Looking for a club that has the COG from 1.4-1.6" will be much more forgiving. 

Examples are like the G series Ping clubs and the AP1 and the JPX Mizuno clubs. Otherwise known as Super Game Improvement. 

You have two options:

1. Learn how to hit what you have by controlling to increase impact accuracy. Move your impact to just inside the center of the face. 
  2. Get fit for irons that fit how you swing with a more forgiving sweet spot closer to the middle of the face

Good luck. 

Thanks Granata, Timo, Tap in, 

thanks for your info. I figure need to first get lie adjusted. It feels so closed vs the rest. 
if feels right then go change the shafts. Need lighter stiff due to my shorter swing.

but also, it is true that I shd have realize expecting z745 to be forgiving is not correct haha. Tried Ap1s and the Mizunos, but the feel and accuracy just not there. Just simply fly eveywhere. Maybe it’s in the mind.... guess am already used to the Ap2 types. 

thanks A lot guys. Glad to have gotten your help.