Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Flexibility

So I am 30 and have had a terrible snap hook the last year.  Figured out last week that I am not rotating my hips enough.  Power my hips through and down the middle of the fairway.  I need to improve my flexibility.  Are there any programs out there that work for flexibility and light strength training?

https://www.fredericksgolf.com/

This is applicable at any age.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That also sounds like an ideal scenario for some Yoga

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Are you sure the snap hook is being caused by lack of flexibility and not some other issue? 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Not sure if it’s applicable but I was having issues engaging my hips in the swing last year and was talking to my local golf pro about it. He told me to start doing side planks for a few minutes each day. It wasn’t the perfect solution but I did gain more rotation and power through it 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

That also sounds like an ideal scenario for some Yoga

I'll second the yoga. As a poster boy for inflexibility (age=73), I can attest to yoga working wonders.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Yoga does wonders

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I absolutely love a pirformus stretch and butterfly stretch to open the hips up. Then alot of the light strengthening can come from basic core and hip exercises; such as a bridge or bent knee fall out. Look up lower trunk rotation which is also another good one to try.

image.jpeg.33461d5d9c518291989db1ee8e8efea7.jpeg  image.jpeg.f790d3f254788c2b5a04eb662abb2f19.jpegimage.jpeg.c177b1ba8c7952dc514591a970f36754.jpeg

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Id recommend yoga as well.  Id also recommend doing traditional planks and side planks.  

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I recommend two things.  

1.  Yoga.

2.  The Alexander Method, or other similar program.  

The two work together.  Yoga stretches, strengthens and stabilizes.  Nevertheless, it helps to examine why your hips are tight in the first place.  What are you doing that causes your hips to tighten?  If you don’t get to the root of the problem, you just get into a cycle of continuing your activity that tightens up the muscles and then stretching out those muscles. If you modify the behavior that is causing tight hips, your muscles will stay stretched and flexible for longer and the yoga will be much more effective.  

I speak from experience.  I have been doing yoga for a couple of years. I am 62.  It has helped a great deal.  But, it didn’t take long between sessions to tighten back up.  (Albeit, I would not get as tight as I was when not doing yoga.)

I stumbled upon the Alexander Method in February when I read the golf book “Golf Sense, Practical Tips on How to Play Golf in the Zone,” by Roy Palmer.  I had never heard of the Alexander Method.  It is an approach to discovering the unconscious actions people take which cause harm to their bodies.  Once discovered, the method is a way to break the bad, unconscious habit.  

I carried a lot of tension in my shoulders.  I found out that I was unconsciously tightening my neck which caused my shoulders to tighten and get stiff.  For example, when walking up stairs, I would look down at the stair treads, but I would bend my head forward by tightening my neck and bending forward from the base of neck/shoulders.  My  balance was thrown forward and I hunched over.  Now I go up stairs with my head and neck relaxed, and back, looking down with my eyes, and if necessary, my head tilting from the top of my neck joint (which is located about even with one’s ears).  A simpler little change with huge ramifications.  My back and shoulders stay loose.  

Similarly, I am working on how I sit in my office and in a car to help with tight hips.  It is a work in progress, but I’m getting there.  My hips are staying loose longer and continued yoga is helping to counteract years of bad habits when sitting.