Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf Galaxy in the Covid-19 Era

Middler

I’m NOT trying to provoke debate on Covid-19 (please don’t), my purpose is only to share what you might expect your first time back.

I bought a putter at GG yesterday, their first day reopened here. I support their stance, but it’s a new world and I expect many retailers will adopt some of these precautions.

• There’s a long list of conditions on the door, in essence if you’re sick or you may have been exposed to Covid-19 they ask you not to enter.
  • They ask all patrons to observe physical distancing at all times. There were clear markings on the floor where people would line up like checkout (as many places are doing).
  • All employees were wearing masks. Most customers were too.
  • They ask customers to not touch anything they aren’t actively interested in - and they’re serious about it. Customers are not supposed to put anything back they’ve touched. Anything you touch is to be brought to the front desk to be wiped down and put back by employees. I saw a customer bring two irons from a set  to the front desk instead of putting them back on the display. [Wonder how that works with clothing or shoes?]
  • There were no balls on the floor to test putters? I asked an employee, and he gave me one ball, and told me to bring it to the front desk when I was done with it.
  • There were plexi screens all around the front desk/checkout.
  • The club repair desk had clear plastic curtains all the way around it.

Clearly it’s largely an honor system. Those who play golf should be comfortable with honor systems...

Again, I support their actions and hope other retailers do the same until we know much more about Covid-19. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Hey, at least theyre open.  I actually think that this will become the norm, at least for a while and if thats what it takes to keep people healthy until we can get past all this, Im all for it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Hey, at least theyre open.  I actually think that this will become the norm, at least for a while and if thats what it takes to keep people healthy until we can get past all this, Im all for it.

+1

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This seems like it is going to become the new norm for a while. I wonder if things will ever go completely back to how they were before Covid. Many of these practices would be helpful going forward to reduce the risk of things like flu transmission. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

All I can say is, my observation of how people handled this crisis is a mixed result.   Most of us are following the given instruction but quite a few are defiant against the society's guidance.

I truly felt for all the businesses and their employees whom had bore the majority of the impact of economic shut down.   My own family members had been impacted financially during this time.  We tough it out as much as we could, just like the rest of the Nation.   The non-essential segment of businesses will take a longer time to recover.  Our local golf stores are doing the internet sales and curbside delivery and anything they could do to generate business to stay afloat.   I'm afraid if there is no extension of credit to the businesses from the financial institution soon, there would be many, many businesses lose their ground, forever.

Had this COVID-19 been a drill or a practice of what's to come, then we had failed.  Better learn from this, and quickly.

Edited by release

On 5/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, Middler said:

I’m NOT trying to provoke debate on Covid-19 (please don’t), my purpose is only to share what you might expect your first time back.

I bought a putter at GG yesterday, their first day reopened here. I support their stance, but it’s a new world and I expect many retailers will adopt some of these precautions.

• There’s a long list of conditions on the door, in essence if you’re sick or you may have been exposed to Covid-19 they ask you not to enter.
  • They ask all patrons to observe physical distancing at all times. There were clear markings on the floor where people would line up like checkout (as many places are doing).
  • All employees were wearing masks. Most customers were too.
  • They ask customers to not touch anything they aren’t actively interested in - and they’re serious about it. Customers are not supposed to put anything back they’ve touched. Anything you touch is to be brought to the front desk to be wiped down and put back by employees. I saw a customer bring two irons from a set  to the front desk instead of putting them back on the display. [Wonder how that works with clothing or shoes?]
  • There were no balls on the floor to test putters? I asked an employee, and he gave me one ball, and told me to bring it to the front desk when I was done with it.
  • There were plexi screens all around the front desk/checkout.
  • The club repair desk had clear plastic curtains all the way around it.

Clearly it’s largely an honor system. Those who play golf should be comfortable with honor systems...

Again, I support their actions and hope other retailers do the same until we know much more about Covid-19. YMMV

Wow, what a difference.

I'd be taking about 50 clubs up to the front desk for cleaning.   

What I used to do: First, I go to the back and check out the used clubs, then I go to the putters, then I check the grips, over to the shoes (once again I have to confirm that adidas wide sizes are too tight), then the bags, back over to the wedges, the irons, the hybrids.  Then I head over to the hitting bays, try out whatever they got there.   Typically I hear "may I help you sir", about 15 times.

After that, I check out the hats,  balls, gloves, tees, gadgets, etc.  Might even look at rain suits, golf shorts, and shirts.

I'm old school, I have to touch before I buy it.  Now it looks like I have to stay in the car.

How do we buy a golf glove now anyway?  

Edited by SlowNLow

19 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

Wow, what a difference.

I'd be taking about 50 clubs up to the front desk for cleaning.   

What I used to do: First, I go to the back and check out the used clubs, then I go to the putters, then I check the grips, over to the shoes (once again I have to confirm that adidas wide sizes are too tight), then the bags, back over to the wedges, the irons, the hybrids.  Then I head over to the hitting bays, try out whatever they got there.   Typically I hear "may I help you sir", about 15 times.

After that, I check out the hats,  balls, gloves, tees, gadgets, etc.  Might even look at rain suits, golf shorts, and shirts.

I'm old school, I have to touch before I buy it.  Now it looks like I have to stay in the car.

How do we buy a golf glove now anyway?  

I hope/think we all have to work with retailers to protect each other - and I assume GG is hoping customers will work with them. The days of browsing and touching anything and everything don't make sense for now, I used to do that too. I suspect they're hoping customers won't come in without the intent to buy.

This time I went intending to buy a putter, and narrowed the contenders to two. I might have tried other putters normally, but I really only needed to compare two and make a buy. I've played with the new putter twice now and it's aweome BTW.

From what I know, retailers aren't allowing fitting rooms for now, so if you're looking for clothing - you go in and look without touching as much as possible, and then buy in your size without trying it on. People buy without trying clothes online every day. It may vary from store to store, but many retailers are not allowing returns for now - so it's important buyers are well prepared on what they want and what size.

As for golf gloves, don't most players know what size glove they wear - same as the last one? If I want a different brand, that may have to wait, the previous brand is OK for now.

Maybe we all stick with brands & models in some items (like clothes and many golf accessories) where we already know sizes from past experience until SARS-CoV-2 is under control.

Not trying to be flip, we need to work through this together...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

On 5/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, Middler said:

I hope/think we all have to work with retailers to protect each other - and I assume GG is hoping customers will work with them. The days of browsing and touching anything and everything don't make sense for now, I used to do that too. I suspect they're hoping customers won't come in without the intent to buy.

This time I went intending to buy a putter, and narrowed the contenders to two. I might have tried other putters normally, but I really only needed to compare two and make a buy. I've played with the new putter twice now and it's aweome BTW.

From what I know, retailers aren't allowing fitting rooms for now, so if you're looking for clothing - you go in and look without touching as much as possible, and then buy in your size without trying it on. People buy without trying clothes online every day. It may vary from store to store, but many retailers are not allowing returns for now - so it's important buyers are well prepared on what they want and what size.

As for golf gloves, don't most players know what size glove they wear - same as the last one? If I want a different brand, that may have to wait, the previous brand is OK for now.

Maybe we all stick with brands & models in some items (like clothes and many golf accessories) where we already know sizes from past experience until SARS-CoV-2 is under control.

Not trying to be flip, we need to work through this together...

Ironically, I did end up buying a set of Callaway 2009 X forged irons during a browsing episode at a Golfsmith which is now a GG.  Initially wasnt my intent to buy a set of irons, but it happened.  

I wish retailers all the best, and if possible, I will support them.