TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Wonderful World of Hybrids

LeftyRM7

I love my hybrids, I carry a 3 and 4 and they make a world of difference as they are very versatile and forgiving also longer than compared to their counterparts. If you can't handle the bulky look, a driving iron might work as well, which I also carry in the 5 and 6.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

If you are the type to use hybrids around the greens, I cant think of anything better than the One Length hybrid. Sounds like it is changing your game on full shots as well. Good luck. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I've honestly toyed with the idea of going 4h, 5h, 6h in my bag because I find them so much easier to hit than the respective irons that would fit into those gaps (particularly the 5h and 6h slots). So ... two thumbs up! Congrats on plugging that gap!

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

any suggestions on a used hybrid that won't cost me much? trying to determine if I want to add them to my bag but hate to drop a chunk of $ on  new one before I know if I like carrying one in my bag on a regular basis. I know I might be a bit behind tech wise, plus a lot easier to tell the wife I bought a used one then a new one..haha

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW, Steel, Stiff flex

Driver: Mizuno ST180, Regular Flex, usually play 9.5

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM8  52,56,58

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Mallet

Right Handed

Fishers, Indiana

HDCP: 18

any suggestions on a used hybrid that won't cost me much? trying to determine if I want to add them to my bag but hate to drop a chunk of $ on  new one before I know if I like carrying one in my bag on a regular basis. I know I might be a bit behind tech wise, plus a lot easier to tell the wife I bought a used one then a new one..haha

Going used it’s hard to beat callaway preowned. They run deals all the time as well, might even get new clubs that were overstock or demos. Plus you know you’re getting the real deal, I’m always afraid of buying off of a private seller and getting a copy cat club.

As far as a specific model, I wouldn’t know where to start. Find something you like the look of and give it a shot. Maybe similar model to your woods, or irons. I’m a big fan of the one length cobras, anything f7 or newer I’ve heard nothing but great things about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-tc-hybrid-pak/p/pma0301/

Can't go wrong with these. Stupid easy to hit and very inexpensive.

If you think you might prefer a more iron like head...

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-fdi-hybrid-pak/p/pma0305/

They both play quite differently. The FDI will keep the flight down.

KE4 TC will like to get up and go.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

On 5/22/2020 at 10:17 AM, kyleagrant said:

Asking that question is going to get responses from 10 people with 11 or 12 different answers.  I know I personally get along great with W/S and Adams lines, so-so with Tour Edge hybrids, and abysmal with Cobra offerings. Honestly, I'd say just look at what fits your eye, see if you can take a few swings with a couple and see if they fill the gaps you need. For example, you may hit the W/S D200 5h well, but if it doesn't gap properly, what's the point?

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

On 5/22/2020 at 10:17 AM, kyleagrant said:

Find a used Titliest 818 H1. You could not mis-hit that thing if you wore a blindfold while swinging it. It’s like cheating.

Edited by crope1

C863FD6F-A6FF-4575-AE0B-D47F55C55EE2.jpeg

Yesterday I decided to put my Adams Super LS back in the bag to replace my 5W. Thing had been sitting in my basement for years.

Only used it once for a 210 approach (missed the birdie though) and it felt harsh. For it to go that distance, it must have been struck correctly, yet it didn't feel flush. Guess I'll have to put a few more swings into it to find out.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I just gave my son two hybrids that have been sitting in my closet for quite some time. I've yet to find a single one I get along with. My Heavenwood acts as my "hybrid" and is my go-to for longer clubs so it all works out for me personally. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 6/1/2020 at 3:39 AM, Kanoito said:

Yesterday I decided to put my Adams Super LS back in the bag to replace my 5W. Thing had been sitting in my basement for years.

Only used it once for a 210 approach (missed the birdie though) and it felt harsh. For it to go that distance, it must have been struck correctly, yet it didn't feel flush. Guess I'll have to put a few more swings into it to find out.

My 17° super ls is a monster. It does have a "different" feel to it.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

43 minutes ago, AH1980MN said:

My 17° super ls is a monster. It does have a "different" feel to it.

Or lack thereof lol

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also interested in the Cobra One Length hybrids based on the accuracy results in the last 2 Most Wanted articles. Tough to find demos since they aren't widely available in Canada and the golf stores have been a disaster since COVID. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Back a few years, I was looking to get a 3w/5w combination, had decided on picking up TM Stage 2 Tour for both.  Was going through 2nd Swing.  They didn't have the 5w, though they did have a 3h, which checks in at 18.5*.  Picked it up on a lark.

Have liked it quite a bit.  I put a 105g graphite iron shaft in it, and put another adapter together with DGS400, both work quite well.  Liked it enough that I also bought a 2h, which currently has the NV105 in it.  

Works well enough for me that I will be dropping the 3w from my modern woods bag, and carrying only the 2h on top of my Golden Ram 2-PW, SW, LW (51/55/60).  I'm just not a fan of longer club lengths, or lighter shafts, this allows me to get something that fits both.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I am trying hybrids (again) this time I picked up a 19° 3 hybrid and put my 22° 4 back in the bag.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 7:23 PM, LeftyRM7 said:

I went with the 24° and got lucky that it seems to fit nicely behind my 5 iron. On the range it felt awesome. I did have to work a little bit to

I'm due for a new hybrid as my current one is the only club in my set with a regular shaft as I've transitioned everything else to stiff. I similarly like the idea of the one length hybrid to add some stability and forgiveness to those longer shots. I was wondering if you found it harder to hit your 5 and 6 iron after using a shorter hybrid and if you saw a noticeable difference between the launch/distance/spin of the hybrid and your 5 iron that are probably similar lofts?

*Equipment Free Agent*

:callaway-small:    Rogue 10.5° - Aldila Synergy 50 Stiff

:callaway-small:    Rogue 17° 4 wood - Aldila Synergy 60 Stiff

:ping-small:   G25 20° Hybrid - TFC 189 R-Flex

:mizuno-small:    JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-PW - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite Steel

:cleveland-small:    RTX-4 50°, 54°, 58° - 9° Bounce - Dynamic Gold S400

:taylormade-small:   TP Z Milled 56° SW - 12° Bounce - KBS Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:   TP Black Copper Collection Ardmore 3 - Super Stroke Pistol GT Tour 1.0 Putter Grip - Jumbo

:titelist-small:  TOUR SOFT or Pro V1X

GARMIN - APPROACH S60 GPS WATCH

I'm due for a new hybrid as my current one is the only club in my set with a regular shaft as I've transitioned everything else to stiff. I similarly like the idea of the one length hybrid to add some stability and forgiveness to those longer shots. I was wondering if you found it harder to hit your 5 and 6 iron after using a shorter hybrid and if you saw a noticeable difference between the launch/distance/spin of the hybrid and your 5 iron that are probably similar lofts?

I’ve always choked up on my 5/6 irons so the length is comparable to my 7 and hybrid. Haven’t had the chance to compare them on a launch monitor but my 5i and hybrid are the same loft though I get very different ball flights. My hybrid flies quite a bit higher than my 5 iron. I was surprised to see about a 20 yard gap between them considering the short length of the hybrid.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:22 PM, crope1 said:

Find a used Titliest 818 H1. You could not mis-hit that thing if you wore a blindfold while swinging it. It’s like cheating.

Titleist hybrids are my favorite.  I have an ancient 17* 585 that I bought on the Goodwill auction site on a whim for about $20 delivered.  If you tend to hook hybrids, they're pretty hittable.  I hook most hybrids off the face of the earth.  You can find them on eBay for under $40.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Going used it’s hard to beat callaway preowned. They run deals all the time as well, might even get new clubs that were overstock or demos. Plus you know you’re getting the real deal, I’m always afraid of buying off of a private seller and getting a copy cat club.

As far as a specific model, I wouldn’t know where to start. Find something you like the look of and give it a shot. Maybe similar model to your woods, or irons. I’m a big fan of the one length cobras, anything f7 or newer I’ve heard nothing but great things about.

Took it right out of my mouth. Callaway PreOwned is the best spot to buy “clubs to try”. Good luck! Love my hybrids!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 3 weeks later...

For the heck of it (and $80) I managed to snag a Taylormade GAPR Mid 3 hybrid in Certified Pre-owned condition.  I had been liking the idea of a driving iron, but since I lack the significant club head speed to justify one, the GAPR Mid looked like it would be a good substitute.  The GAPR LO is supposed to be the actual driving iron sub, but I don't have the consistency to use a club with less forgiveness.  

All that rambling aside, once I figured out what I was doing wrong, this hybrid has become a go to club for me on Par 4s that my driver or 3W would get me into trouble.  It is absolutely as rough as people say when hit off center, but flush feels really nice.  I have a lot of flaws in my game, but getting this hybrid going for me has put me in the fairway more often and the moderate bulk of the back of the club head does build confidence.  

Screenshot_20200804-161057.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-183058.jpg

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I didn't think to add this last night, but hybrids that come as part of a set can be really good too.  I used to doubt mine, but again, figuring out what I was doing wrong helped.  Stratas are not high end by any means, but when they allow me to put a shot right on the green of a par 3 and the ball doesn't just roll out the back, that builds confidence over time.  

Screenshot_20200811-155452.jpg

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

On 5/23/2020 at 12:17 AM, kyleagrant said:

When I bought my new Callaway Steel Head Pro Irons I was given a choice of a free hybrid or a 3 iron. I tested the Steel Head Hybrid at the Performance centre as well as the Epic 18*. I paid an extra $50 to get the Epic as it felt better and is adjustable. I have since bought a 21* as they had them on special for $149.00 AUD.

Have still seen them around at this price and several of my fellow golfers have bought them and also love them.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 1 month later...

I tried out and loved the new TM SIM rescue/hybrid.  Started with the 4, and now have the 5, 6, and 7 too.  May get the 3 also.   I hit such solid shots with these.  Can't wait to get them in my hands when playing.  Remarkable flight/distance on mishit also.   They are not left biased either.  They are supreme hybrids with the right shaft in them.