TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Deep Red Fat Shafts

I have had 3 and 4 Wilson Deep Red Fat Shaft woods for 15? Years- absolutely love these woods off the fairway and the tee. Anyone else using these woods? I keep thinking about updating but I do really like these clubs too much to take out of my bag

Cobra Driver, 3 wood, 4,5 hybrids, callaway irons,

Never heard of them.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

10 hours ago, Bob M said:

I have had 3 and 4 Wilson Deep Red Fat Shaft woods for 15? Years- absolutely love these woods off the fairway and the tee. Anyone else using these woods? I keep thinking about updating but I do really like these clubs too much to take out of my bag

I have a driver in my garage.  A buddy of mine had a full set and played them for 10 years.  Good clubs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ive heard of them, they old tech though.  If you hit them well, great but theres probably much better technology out there.  While you could make an arguement against new irons due to jacked lofts, you cant really deny that woods have improved signifigantly in the last 20 years.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have to agree that technology has improved. I play at Clubcorp clubs and they have Taylormade M5s that I rent and I don’t feel I get anything more out of these woods. I do like the M5 woods just fine but the irons are too fat on the bottom of the club, I like my Callaway FT irons a lot more

Cobra Driver, 3 wood, 4,5 hybrids, callaway irons,

I loved the Deep Reds when they first came out. I was a high school kid and couldn't afford them. However, I did manage find and buy the first Wilson Deep Red driver after working for a summer. Unfortunately, I was still pretty new to golf and didn't know what kind of club I needed. Bought it in 10.5 degrees with R flex (I currently and since then have been using a 9 degree stiff flex driver). It made the sweetest sound. Stupid me got influenced by Nike ads and traded that in the first Nike Tour Forged driver. I couldn't hit that thing worth a damn.

Beautiful driver and woods. Even with the irons with the fat shafts were just beautiful.

Definitely old school.  Have never hit them but am familiar with them.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  My 5 wood is not quite as old as these but is about 8 years old and nothing I have tried has been able to kick it out of the bag.