Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Finally making the switch to Modern Distance Irons.

RoverRick

I have been a huge Mizuno fan and have gamed their irons for the past 15 years. Predominantly forged blades MP33, 68, 69 and 5’s. Although I also have played the MP59’s and 64’s. Yeah, I really don’t have the game to play pure blades anymore, if I ever truly did, but most clubs are designed with a significant offset. Not only does this not suit my eye, more importantly, it does not suit my swing.

The offset changes the CG and allows more club face rotation and makes it easier to close. This is not an area I need help with and while I have looked at other irons, I simply hooked most of them off the planet. Same with Hybrids.

I bought Mizuno CLK Hybrids about 6 months ago and have been working on not hooking these. I gathered up all my old iron sets a couple of weeks ago and traded them in on a set of MP18 MMC’s. However, my friend Dave told me I should get the Hot Metals.

...Let me interrupt myself to tell a story. I bought a brand new set of Titleist AP2’s when they first came out. I took them to the course still in the plastic and was unwrapping them, savoring the moment, before striking the ball for the first time. (The faint of heart may want to skip this part.) I was in the middle of the 6th fairway with nice turf under the ball, I unwrapped my 6 iron, lined it up, took my stance, made a perfect swing, nice ball contact, then the turf, and CRACK. Apparently at some point in the past while aerating the fairways, one of the spikes broke off just below the grass surface. I looked at the chunk now missing from my 6 iron and almost threw up. I swore I would never buy a brand new set clubs again since my intent was to slam them into the ground as hard a possible...

So now as I’m waiting for my trade to come through I am looking at all the irons. Yes. I can use higher launch. Yes, I want more ball speed. Yes, I want more forgiveness. Hell no, I don’t want offset.

My JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro’s 4-P should arrive Wednesday, and I plan on taking off Thursday-Sunday to break them in properly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I also hate offset. It looks like the face is shut down at address, and often leads to a right to left ball flight with irons, and left to right ball flight with woods since woods have very minimal offset. I game MP-4s, but might be looking to upgrade in the near future. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Not a huge fan of offset either, plus I have a tendency to pull/hook shots so I don’t need help closing the face. I will say the Ping i210s offer a lot of the feedback and feel of bladed clubs with minimal offset. However, I’m a bit biased as they are my current gamers. Good luck with the 919’s!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)