TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is it handicap gaming?

Having this argument with my dad. Love to hear other thoughts.

Our course has reopened, first game Saturday.

I am intending to only being my irons, which will be a 3i To LW one length.

No driver, no fairways, which I normally play.

Reason being, even though I've been practicing some, online lessons, two swing modifications, I'm going to be rusty as an old windmill. With irons, the damage won't be as bad, but neither will I be able to get anywhere near to all the hole in 2 like I would normally.

So expecting not a great score, and will record a high handicap round.

Because I'm handicapping myself with choice of clubs, am I cheating the handicap system?

(Because playing on Saturday, have to enter the comp, or no game, so can't argue don't enter the comp and can't play).

Edit: We're not worried per say, but if there was a club championship coming up and it looked like my handicap may go out, would your opinion be any different?
Not that the club championship at any serious level should be anything but gross stroke...

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

One round won't matter to your handicap. If you intend to do it for multiple rounds and then play in comp with higher handicap, probably. I would venture a guess that if you told fellow competitors that you were playing irons only off an established full bag handicap they would love for you to compete. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Sorry, I don't understand your logic. I know you may be rusty, but that will be the case with all clubs.Maybe you should just hit balls on the range.🏌️‍♂️

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Having this argument with my dad. Love to hear other thoughts.
Reason being, even though I've been practicing some, online lessons, two swing modifications, I'm going to be rusty as an old windmill. With irons, the damage won't be as bad, but neither will I be able to get anywhere near to all the hole in 2 like I would normally.
Because I'm handicapping myself with choice of clubs, am I cheating the handicap system?
Would practicing in comp by only having every second club in the bag (3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW, LW) be cheating the handicap?

(Because playing on Saturday, have to enter the comp, or no game, so can't argue don't enter the comp and can't play).

If you're concerned about the handicap keep in mind that the new calculation is based on the best 8 of the last 20 scores.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

That sort of thing wouldn't fly with the handicapper at my club. Suppose it depends on the handicapper at your course. Maybe check in with them.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the lease amount of strokes. What we setup Let’s you do that then that’s the setup to use. In essence you are playing with the mindset that every hole is a stroke higher than stated par. As a 16 hdcp that’s about where your game would be. I see no issue with this.

If you are playing a 3i you must be a good iron player and a not so good driver of the ball. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

13 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

The way I read this, you're planning to make club selections that you believe will result in the lowest score possible for you on that day.  That's all the handicap system expects from you, that you try to shoot the lowest score you can.  

I'd suggest that you show up and play with the normal 14 clubs in your bag.  You might find out that you're swinging well, and you might choose to hit a driver or two as the round progresses.  That wouldn't be any different from a guy who hits his first two drives off the planet, and chooses not to hit driver again the rest of the day.  Make each club choice the best one you can, taking all factors into account.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Like another post stated, it's just one round so the impact to your handicap shouldn't be that much.  And, if in your own assessment you don't have much of a chance of hitting driver or FW well, then it sounds like you're not intentionally disadvantaging yourself but trying to set yourself up for your best score still.

All that being said, your driver and FW aren't going to get better going this route...got to bag them and hit them.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

3 hours ago, Bills300 said:

Call it a practice round and don't record your score.

He said if he wanted to play on Saturday, he needed to enter the competition at his course, otherwise he wouldn't be able to play.  If he's in a competition, he's required to post his score.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 5/12/2020 at 6:03 AM, DaveP043 said:

That wouldn't be any different from a guy who hits his first two drives off the planet, and chooses not to hit driver again the rest of the day.

I basically did this last year: 4 out of 5 courses in my rotation start with par 5’s, and if I started my round with an OB tee shot, the driver did not come back out. My handicap went down to 6.6 from 9.8 by putting the driver away. This season I bought a new driver, and continue hitting it no matter how the 1st shot goes. And of course, my handicap is rising again: but it always goes up slightly the first 10-20 rounds of the season. But this doesn’t stop friends who see me in my late season prime from questioning the authenticity of the 84’s I’m carding these days...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 5/12/2020 at 8:03 AM, DaveP043 said:

The way I read this, you're planning to make club selections that you believe will result in the lowest score possible for you on that day.  That's all the handicap system expects from you, that you try to shoot the lowest score you can.  

I'd suggest that you show up and play with the normal 14 clubs in your bag.  You might find out that you're swinging well, and you might choose to hit a driver or two as the round progresses.  That wouldn't be any different from a guy who hits his first two drives off the planet, and chooses not to hit driver again the rest of the day.  Make each club choice the best one you can, taking all factors into account.

!00% agreed with this.  Using the clubs that you're hitting well to make a score is the purpose of the game.  In my mind, you are working to improve (also a goal of every round), and I would score the rounds....

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

I see no problem with it as long as your are making a good faith effort to shoot your best score. In this case you believe going without the woods will help you do that. I've gone 1 round not hitting driver because I was a mess with it in warmups and literally could not keep it in a 50 yard window. I even put it in the car before the round so I wouldnt be tempted and hit 3 wood and driving iron all day and actually posted a very typical score. 

However, dont expect everyone to see things your way. I could see you getting called out on it. I would probably put the clubs in the bag as to not draw attention. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!