Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What is the worse course evah played?

MrBandit

Everyone talks about the best course, just curious too see how many courses you guys think are the worse. Could be layout, course conditions, service.

Here are a couple.

Sherrill Park Golf - Richardson, TX
Duck Creek  Garland, TX
Clearview Park - Queens, NY

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

I've really not been impressed with Mansfield National - Mansfield, TX. The course itself is okay (not great - kinda plain). Bunkers vary in the type of sand used which seems odd to me and even before COVID, rakes were hit and miss (only one bunker had a rake provided come to think of it now). It's always a coin toss as to whether or not their range is open (currently limited to members only and mats) and the system they use for tee times is extremely frustrating. Nearly every time I've scheduled a tee time and arrived at the course, I've been informed that I was bumped to a different time with no good explanation as to why. Pace of play and groupings are poorly regulated - I've literally seen groups of 1 or 2 followed by 3 or 4 and then immediately by another 1 or 2 (why not try to pair the smaller groups if you're moving tee times around anyway?). They also switched from a more traditional membership structure to using ARCIS which is just a scam IMO. I did it for a while, but with limited access to their range because they would close for no good reason and tee time discounts only available after 2PM, I decided to save the money and go play better courses.

I was pretty annoyed with them after they failed to cancel my ARCIS membership as requested and charged me an additional month (they did at least correct it and sent a credit to my bank account). I don't plan to play there anymore after my experience over the past six months or so. I only started playing there because of proximity to me and because I didn't know anyone. Now that I have some golf buddies to tee it up with and experienced other courses in the area, I will do my best to stay away.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've really not been impressed with Mansfield National - Mansfield, TX. The course itself is okay (not great - kinda plain). Bunkers vary in the type of sand used which seems odd to me and even before COVID, rakes were hit and miss (only one bunker had a rake provided come to think of it now). It's always a coin toss as to whether or not their range is open (currently limited to members only and mats) and the system they use for tee times is extremely frustrating. Nearly every time I've scheduled a tee time and arrived at the course, I've been informed that I was bumped to a different time with no good explanation as to why. Pace of play and groupings are poorly regulated - I've literally seen groups of 1 or 2 followed by 3 or 4 and then immediately by another 1 or 2 (why not try to pair the smaller groups if you're moving tee times around anyway?). They also switched from a more traditional membership structure to using ARCIS which is just a scam IMO. I did it for a while, but with limited access to their range because they would close for no good reason and tee time discounts only available after 2PM, I decided to save the money and go play better courses.

I was pretty annoyed with them after they failed to cancel my ARCIS membership as requested and charged me an additional month (they did at least correct it and sent a credit to my bank account). I don't plan to play there anymore after my experience over the past six months or so. I only started playing there because of proximity to me and because I didn't know anyone. Now that I have some golf buddies to tee it up with and experienced other courses in the area, I will do my best to stay away.

I used the played Mansfield National when it was part of the Eagle Card, and the one thing it had going was the greens where always in good conditions, the course was nothing to write home about and I wouldn't go there unless I had a round on the Eagle Card.

Once they got rid of the Eagle Card and went to the ARCIS membership I think a lot of the course lost visits from people other than who is around the neighborhood. It was a great deal and you got see other courses.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)

Oh man.

I don’t remember the name, but it was a par 3 course in Groton, CT...

Fun layout, but it was in terrible condition.... terrible.

Only played it because the other one was jam packed.

Was supposed to go back in September, planned on making a trip to Shennecosset. Doubtful now.

I don't remember the name of the place.  I honestly don't think it still exists.  I spent the past 15 minutes searching Google Maps and can't seem to find it. 

In the mid 90's, some friends and I starting knocking off as many of the Golf Digest top ranked courses as we could.  The number one "best new course" for this particular year happened to be an hour from where I lived at the time.  We drove up and were thoroughly disgusted.  Idiotic design and atrocious layout.  I honestly believe the concept for the property was make every hole play at the most extreme changes in elevation as possible.  The entire golf course zig-zagged straight up and straight back down some of the most severe slopes in the Appalachian Mountains.  Absolutely unplayable!

To add insult to injury, at that time it was the most I had ever paid for a round of golf.  And that includes having played The Homestead, The Greenbrier and Pinehurst!  My first indication Golf Digest was a soulless corporate shill for the worst aspects of the golf industry. 

2017-18 saw a huge course consolidation in Cleveland/Akron Ohio. About 15 courses closed, and I don't think many will be missed. They were not well kept, true goat farms.

My issue is the places that look tough and play insane, but people rave about them because conditions are nice. God is going to make some of these architects pay.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Orange Lakes Resort near Orlando.  Uninteresting layout, poor condition.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

On 5/12/2020 at 2:11 PM, MrBandit said:

I used the played Mansfield National when it was part of the Eagle Card, and the one thing it had going was the greens where always in good conditions, the course was nothing to write home about and I wouldn't go there unless I had a round on the Eagle Card.

Once they got rid of the Eagle Card and went to the ARCIS membership I think a lot of the course lost visits from people other than who is around the neighborhood. It was a great deal and you got see other courses.

The greens are usually in decent shape, but typically slow compared to other courses in the area which always presents a bit of a struggle trying to adjust. I've maybe played one or two rounds where the greens were rolling a little bit faster, but seems like more of a rarity than the norm. My primary complaints are mostly service related though. If it weren't for the tee time and range issues, I'd consider going there a bit more simply because of proximity. For the price though, I can just drive to Burleson and play Southern Oaks with free range balls - much better course too.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 5/12/2020 at 8:38 PM, HAC said:

Orange Lakes Resort near Orlando.  Uninteresting layout, poor condition.

Funny I play there once a year, and Reserve is more interesting , tighter Arnold Palmer Lakes is the standard layout, some blind shots and up and down tees. They renovate both course recently, hope they didn't let them go.

On 5/13/2020 at 5:21 PM, TR1PTIK said:

The greens are usually in decent shape, but typically slow compared to other courses in the area which always presents a bit of a struggle trying to adjust. I've maybe played one or two rounds where the greens were rolling a little bit faster, but seems like more of a rarity than the norm. My primary complaints are mostly service related though. If it weren't for the tee time and range issues, I'd consider going there a bit more simply because of proximity. For the price though, I can just drive to Burleson and play Southern Oaks with free range balls - much better course too.

I agree the service at Mansfield there sucks. I agree, and for the price Southern Oaks is a much better course and designed. Love that course.. its just a trip for me to get out there.

This is going to be a course that no one knows. It is in Oklahoma and is a state park golf course that has flooded several times. Sequoia state park in Wagner Oklahoma. The course is so damn crazy. All holes are set on the side of a hill and are all also tree lined. So you never have a flat lie and all drives slide left or right off the fairway into the trees and roots and rocks. Oh yeah, don't let me forget that rocks are a prevalent part of this course. Even under the grass you might encounter rocks! Luckily my clubs were still locked up at the club due to the corona virus, so I was using backups. Several shots resulted in sparks or rock chips flying after the ball was struck. Chose this place because everywhere else was shut down. My wife and I were laughing most of the day because we didn't pay much and we were drinking and glad to be outside. Great view of the (Think Willy Wonka chocolate river here) water on Lake Fort Gibson. We also were told to play the same glorious 9 holes twice and found that reading the patchy (sand) spotted greens were much easier on the second run around. Fun times. We did see a few deer and a bald eagle, so all wasn't lost.

Edited by Gopokes14

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

Probably the worst place for me was a course down in tupelo ms. Called big oak. This was a few yrs ago and I would say it was a goat track of a course. I've heard they have cleaned things up but I haven't felt like driving 90 miles to see for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

On 5/11/2020 at 10:00 PM, MrBandit said:

Everyone talks about the best course, just curious too see how many courses you guys think are the worse. Could be layout, course conditions, service.

Here are a couple.

Sherrill Park Golf - Richardson, TX
Duck Creek  Garland, TX
Clearview Park - Queens, NY

I agree Duck Creek sucks. I really don’t mind Sherrill. They re-did #1 and I actually enjoy it. To each their own. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: M6 with Graphite Design TourAD IZ 7x

3W: :titelist-small: TS2 15.75° with Tensei AV Blue 65s

3H: :titelist-small: TS2 19° with Tensei AV Blue 70s 

4i-PW, AW: :ping-small: i210 with KBS 130x

Wedges: :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7 55°, 60° (M-grind, 8° bounce)

Putter: :cameron-small: 2019 Phantom X7

Frederick Golf Club. The course has slowly deteriorated over the years and it came to the point 4 years ago I wouldn't even putt there because the greens were so terrible. This past year things got even worse to the point that flags had just about disappeared on the flagstick. Unfortunately it seems COVID finally did them in financially and they're under contract to be sold. I hope the new owners want to upkeep the course and reopen but my fear is those overgrown greens are destined to be someone's backyard one day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app