TESTERS WANTED! ×

Different shafts

I just bought a Taylormade milled grind 60 degree wedge with the standard wedge flex. Then found a good deal with the same head 56 degree but it has a kbs hi rev 2.0 115 gram shaft. It's considered regular flex because of the weight and the stiff flex is 125 grams. I usually don't do a full swing with these clubs because i also have a gap wedge for the full swings. I haven't hit the new wedges yet. I wanted any advice if i should sell the regular flex since it's not the same as the 60 degree. My old wedges were wedge flex too and my irons are stiff flex. Would I see any difference since I don't do full swings with it?

Sent from my SM-G973U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just bought a Taylormade milled grind 60 degree wedge with the standard wedge flex. Then found a good deal with the same head 56 degree but it has a kbs hi rev 2.0 115 gram shaft. It's considered regular flex because of the weight and the stiff flex is 125 grams. I usually don't do a full swing with these clubs because i also have a gap wedge for the full swings. I haven't hit the new wedges yet. I wanted any advice if i should sell the regular flex since it's not the same as the 60 degree. My old wedges were wedge flex too and my irons are stiff flex. Would I see any difference since I don't do full swings with it?

Weight does not determine flex. General advice would be to have the same wedge shafts and some say to go heavier and down a flex from your irons.
We
Can give you all kinds of advice, but the final answer is can you do what you want with your shots?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

41 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Weight does not determine flex. General advice would be to have the same wedge shafts and some say to go heavier and down a flex from your irons.
We
Can give you all kinds of advice, but the final answer is can you do what you want with your shots?

He nailed it. 

Wedges are all about hitting controlled shots which is where the additional weight can be helpful, but if you can hit the shots you need to with what you have I wouldn't worry too much about it. My current wedge setup isn't ideal (almost exclusively because of shaft weight), but I've learned to control the wedges and can hit all the shots I need to with them. Plus, now I have an extra high trajectory option available to me when I need to get over something (provided there isn't a ton of wind).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

https://kbsgolfshafts.com/shop/hi-rev-2-0/. I understand what you are stating about weight not determining flex but kbs on their website describes it that way.

It will depend on the shaft. For that particular shaft there is only one option; basically pick a flex or a weight.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, maswood said:

https://kbsgolfshafts.com/shop/hi-rev-2-0/. I understand what you are stating about weight not determining flex but kbs on their website describes it that way.

That’s they way kbs designed that shaft. Nippon has a shaft that’s 105g in stiff. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/11/2020 at 10:53 PM, maswood said:

My 54* is stiff and my 60* is regular. I rarely take full 60* shots. My sand, more often. 

I wouldn't focus too much on flex since they are both "wedge" shafts. If it doesn't feel right then I would be more concerned

I wouldn't worry too much about the stated flex yet. the potential issue is with the weight. what shaft are you playing in your GW?

if you are playing heavy iron shafts, a heavy GW shaft, a heavy LW shaft, then its possible the 115 gram shaft on the 56 could feel off to you.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!