GolfSpy MPR

How's all your indoor putting paying off?

Our Sponsors

I had purchased the Puttout Trainer a while before the lock down and had used that in my office and it originally really helped my confidence on the greens. However, I watched a video by James Robbinson where he did 100 putts in the video then donated to covid relief for how many he didn't get the "Perfect Putt" on. Out of 100, I think he ended up with only 7 perfect putts. I thought that was low so I went into my office the next day (and challenged my friend to try at his work too) and we tried this for about 2 weeks. Only 1 day did I do better than 7, and all in all I felt myself getting worse. Now, unfortunately, I am less confident in my putting out on the course...I think it has to do with my carpet being so thin, firm, and fast and it throws me off that my putter head moves so much during my set up as there is almost no friction between the ground and the putter, where on a real green, the grass has friction to hold my putter in place a little easier. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9.5* head set to 8* loft 3*open, weights set slightly lower Launch and fade bias
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: B X, and currently testing the Vice Pro + Neon just for fun

I don’t know much about the tour stats so I’ll look it up  
But I know where I’m losing strokes the most at (Driver/off the tee in general like a lot of us) but missing “easy“ (I use that term loosely) putts inside 6ft is frustrating especially with the amount of practice I put into inside 6ft.

What you will find us that averaging 1.8 putts per hole will put you at 181st on tour.

From 6’ the average is 70%.

Most people have too high of am an expectation on how well they should do.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, beelzeberto said:

But I know where I’m losing strokes the most at (Driver/off the tee in general like a lot of us) but missing “easy“ (I use that term loosely) putts inside 6ft is frustrating especially with the amount of practice I put into inside 6ft.

I have them so here you go:  #1 in putting average for 2019 Jordan Spieth 1.694.  Last place with enough rounds (full season) is basically 1.8.  The 100th guy is 1.76 +/-.  

I'd suggest judging your makes or misses as 'easy' or 'hard' putts.  It is a poor strategy that only leads to frustration.  As an 11 handicap, you are probably putting too much effort and time into putting considering it's weight toward scoring for a handicap golfer.  Tee shots into play (in between the trees with an unobstructed swing & no sand = success) Hit 50% or more of the greens and I don't care how far away unless it is like 60 feet.  Learn to not three-putt from inside 40'.  With good concepts this is incredibly easy to accomplish.  Around the green the best in the world barely average just over 50%. Most handicap golfers should be happy with three most of the time.  Par half the holes and you are already better than an 11 handicap.  

• Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Perhaps a good time for me to weigh in on my own question. Using April/May rounds last year versus my rounds this year, I'm currently seeing:

• 2019: 1.91 avg | 2020: 1.8 avg
    • 1 Putt: 23%
    • 2 Putt: 63%
    • 3 Putt: 14%
    • 1 Putt 28.7%
    • 2 Putt 61.1%
    • 3 Putt: 10.2%
    • Putts per GIR: 2.0

So on the whole, this is looking quite promising. I'm not seeing in GG where to pull up putts per GIR, but moving percentage points from both 2- and 3-putts into 1-putts is very encouraging. Let's hope it continues and even improves as speed control on real greens (and longer putts) continues to get dialed in.

Putts per GIR is not a very helpful stat.  Eliminate your three-putts and you are fine.  What is GG?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:03 PM, edingc said:

Still mediocre! **surprised, but not really surprised face**

image.thumb.png.de113cf34d5c9a447bff535bf682afcf.png

In all actuality, though, I have gotten a lot better and more consistent. I fixed my setup over the winter, as I was previously standing way too close with toe down, and cutting across the ball with my stroke. Led to all sorts of distance control and start line problems. I feel like I've really improved my lag putting and start direction because my stroke and impact location is much more repeatable.

I really am loving the new-to-me Spider X, which at the same length as my old Spider Tour, just feels so much better in my hands.

I need to reduce the number of three-putts per round, as I currently am good for three or four. I'd like to attribute this somewhat to me being the first off on the course most days. I typically play around and through the maintenance staff, so I play a few holes with uncut, dew-covered greens, a few holes with fresh-cut wet greens, a few with drier, uncut greens and finally a few with cut, dry greens. And because my course doesn't mow the greens in order, it's not uncommon to change between all of the available options in just a few holes.

I'd suggest not using speed and condition as any kind of excuse.  Greens are not supposed to all be the same.  The number one putting skills is predicting speed.  Improve the skill and your three-putts will be reduced.  Just get putts within 3 feet from between 20-45' and you will reduce three-putts.  That is a six foot circle around the hole! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edteergolf said:

I have them so here you go:  #1 in putting average for 2019 Jordan Spieth 1.694.  Last place with enough rounds (full season) is basically 1.8.  The 100th guy is 1.76 +/-.  

I'd suggest judging your makes or misses as 'easy' or 'hard' putts.  It is a poor strategy that only leads to frustration.  As an 11 handicap, you are probably putting too much effort and time into putting considering it's weight toward scoring for a handicap golfer.  Tee shots into play (in between the trees with an unobstructed swing & no sand = success) Hit 50% or more of the greens and I don't care how far away unless it is like 60 feet.  Learn to not three-putt from inside 40'.  With good concepts this is incredibly easy to accomplish.  Around the green the best in the world barely average just over 50%. Most handicap golfers should be happy with three most of the time.  Par half the holes and you are already better than an 11 handicap.  

Thanks for the tips! I practice a lot of short game in general because that's what I was told you needed to work on the most to get good and that advice has resulted in maybe one three putt a round. Most times I don't have any three putts unless it's a really off day.

I've been getting lessons to work on extension/not flipping at impact and removing the chicken wing. It has resulted in higher scores than normal for now, but I trust the process and know my scores will come down eventually with the improved swing.

• Like 1

TM.png.d551804c21debc091a6aef9280cf38ab.png

M5 10.5* -1 - Hzrdus Smoke Green
M2 3W -
2 Rescue -
P790 - 4-PW - C-Taper 120 S
Milled Grind - 54/58

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

1 hour ago, edteergolf said:

I'd suggest not using speed and condition as any kind of excuse.  Greens are not supposed to all be the same.  The number one putting skills is predicting speed.  Improve the skill and your three-putts will be reduced.  Just get putts within 3 feet from between 20-45' and you will reduce three-putts.  That is a six foot circle around the hole! 

Yup, excuses don't fix the problem. Last round I had three three-putts in a row (my only three putts of the round). The cause wasn't the greens, but rather a loss of mental focus - I was frustrated with my previous shots and blasted my first putts way past the hole on the first two holes, and then got timid and left the first putt on the third hole well short. 

Good stuff, as always, @edteergolf

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated July 7, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff (soft-stepped), Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

4 hours ago, beelzeberto said:

Don't beat your self up to bad about 6 footers. Tour average make % is right around 70%. 

• Like 4

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Posted (edited)

100% on 1-6ft putts according to Shot Scope for a tidy 30 putts (with two 3-putts, average 35-36) in my last round at Northern Bear outside Edmonton, which ties my lowest putts total from 2018. A lot were 5-6 footers definitely not all tap-ins, plus a 12 footer for birdie... That was definitely influenced by only hitting 5 GIR. A few weeks back I made a 75 foot downhill double breaker for birdie which was the best putt I have ever made, but AimPoint was a major contributor in that one. 

Buying a metal yard stick to putt on has driven much more improvement than my PuttOut mat and target did in the past 1.5 years to the point I regret buying them with the grooving issues. The alignment lines are the best part of that mat IMO. I could clearly identify my pull tendencies on the ruler and which putter worked best for start line in the offseason. This showed my old Taylormade face balanced putter (the last time I had 30 putts) performs better than any of the 4 I demo'd over 2019. Even though conventional wisdom is more toe hang is better for a pull miss, it encourages more rotation which makes me putt worse. 

The yard stick is so narrow you can only open/close face angle by 0.5 degrees either way or you will not make it off the end of the ruler. I try to make 10 in a row and have only been successful ~20 times over the 2 months I've been using it in lockdown. The difficulty level is perfect - you have to be focused and you will only succeed a small portion of the time. I also track the most consecutive putts made on the ruler which was 21 with the Taylormade vs 14 for the next closest which again made putter decision simple and took any emotion or looks consideration out of the process.

On the putt-out mat I don't even recall how many I made in a row from 4 feet, but it was around 80-90 so I don't find it a great training tool for accuracy as I believe that is around +/- 5 degrees of face angle which is poor control TBH. The "perfect putts" become a bit of luck once you have worn channels in the mat and you start hitting double breakers in the channel that happen to settle in the micro target. 

Edited by BMart519
  • Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*, 5-6 FWY at 17*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 5-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:taylormade-small: TP Berwick

I've been indoor putting all winter, but haven't seen much improvement.  There's something about actually stepping on a green, which is different.  Additionally varying green speeds make things trickier.  Ultimately, I think the problem with indoor putting is you never have to worry about breaks.  Hitting a putt square is key, but if you're constantly misjudging the speed and breaks the practice doesn't pay off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jus2Good said:

I've been indoor putting all winter, but haven't seen much improvement.  There's something about actually stepping on a green, which is different.  Additionally varying green speeds make things trickier.  Ultimately, I think the problem with indoor putting is you never have to worry about breaks.  Hitting a putt square is key, but if you're constantly misjudging the speed and breaks the practice doesn't pay off.

Yeah, I can relate for sure. Judging break I think is the weakest part of my putting, but it's easy to start doubting if you're squirting it up or not when they're not dropping.

Right Handed

Driver: :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft, 9.5º)

FW: :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft, 15º)

Irons (PW-2): :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52 & 60): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B

On 5/27/2020 at 2:25 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Perhaps a good time for me to weigh in on my own question. Using April/May rounds last year versus my rounds this year, I'm currently seeing:

• 2019: 1.91 avg | 2020: 1.8 avg
    • 1 Putt: 23%
    • 2 Putt: 63%
    • 3 Putt: 14%
    • 1 Putt 28.7%
    • 2 Putt 61.1%
    • 3 Putt: 10.2%
    • Putts per GIR: 2.0

So on the whole, this is looking quite promising. I'm not seeing in GG where to pull up putts per GIR, but moving percentage points from both 2- and 3-putts into 1-putts is very encouraging. Let's hope it continues and even improves as speed control on real greens (and longer putts) continues to get dialed in.

A couple more rounds since the last update, and the numbers keep getting better:

image.png

My last two rounds, Arccos has me as a better-than-scratch putter. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, I'm feeling as comfortable and confident on the greens as I can ever remember.

Now I have to get some other parts of my game in shape without losing the putting. ["Good luck with that," he says to himself.]

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°, Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:ping-small: G700 5–PW, blue dot, Modus3 105
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 54° and 60°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab R Ball, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

My putting is much better but as the greens speed up as they dry out and catch some wind. I'm having a hard time adjusting from the mat in my basement to the real green. I've drained some awesome putts this year because of my alignment being much better but I still need to work on tempo on real grass. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9deg stiff flex

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff flex

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :callaway-small:  Steelhead XR Pro Irons stiff flex, standard loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

14.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦