Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ben Hogan Icon blades

RobotDoctor

I just received my Icon blades (4-PW). 

Here are comparison pictures of the 6 irons for the Icon blades compared to the '99 Ben Hogan Apex blade (my spare set that has been rechromed with brushed finish and scoring lines redone). The red striped ferrule is the Icon, the solid black ferrule is the '99 Apex.

My take is that the Icon blade is slightly larger than the '99 Apex. The hosel is shorter so more weight is concentrated in the head. There have been some reports that the sweetspot is slightly towards the hosel but that remains to be seen. V sole of the Icon is definitely a new design feature. The Icon exhibits a true blade on blade design element where the '99 Apex blade featured a partial blade on blade.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

additional pictures

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Both are beautiful clubs.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Those Icons are nice looking to me. I might say they are blade on blade on blade.. Interesting design.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great lookin' clubs, RoboDoc!

Those new ICONs are just gorgeous. What handicap are you playing to these days?

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Pretty!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Great lookin' clubs, RoboDoc!
Those new ICONs are just gorgeous. What handicap are you playing to these days?

My current handicap as per the Colorado Golf
Association is 3.0. I started the year at 3.5 and have played 3 rounds at my home course, Collindale Golf Club (Fort Collins, CO) and is a par 71. I've scored 82, 76 and 74 so far this year.

I will play tomorrow with my icons. The only difference in loft are with the 4 and 5 irons. My '99 Apex blades are bent stronger (3 iron to 21 degrees, 4 iron to 24 degrees, 5 iron to 27 degrees, 6 iron is 30 degrees and the rest are 4 degrees separation). The Icons are 4 iron at 22 degrees, 5 iron at 26 degrees, 6 iron at 30 degrees. I hope to score well again. Putting and chipping are really doing well early on.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I put my new Icon irons in the bag today for my round at my home course. First iron shot today was a 5 iron layup in the first hole. The shot was well struck and the feel and trajectory was terrific. Overall the results were mixed. My '99 Apex from 6 iron through wedge is bent to the same lofts as the icons. I sacrifice a little bounce to do so but not much. The distances of the 4 iron (at 22 degrees) matches or might just exceed my 3 iron ('99 Apex- 21 degree loft). That could be a result of being pumped up hitting the 4 iron shots during the round. The 5 iron is close to my '99 Apex 4 iron but longer than the 5 iron. I can see a period of getting used to the new lofts. The feel of the irons are just as solid in iron shots struck center to slightly hosel side of center and the lower 1/3 of the face. I could feel shots on the toe side and recognize where I had struck the shot. The loss of distance on shots not struck in the sweet spot is pretty much the same as my '99 Apex. The shot trajectory was a bit better with the Icons. I like the bounce of the irons and found myself not taking as big of a divot as I do with my '99 Apex irons. (Go figure since I removed a couple degrees or more of bounce by bending the lofts stronger). I believe these irons will produce results that I have come to expect with a Ben Hogan iron.

Now for the negatives: I don't care for the grips at all. I have come to the conclusion that KBS Tour V 110 stiff shafts are not for me. I couldn't get used to the feel of the Icons because the shafts. I can see a set of Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts being ordered and soon. Then I will install the BestGrips Augusta MicroPerf grip. I will review the irons again after that is done.

Conclusion: These irons do require consistent ball striking to produce good shots. However they allow for some not quite perfect strikes to get decent results. Keep in mind there will be a distance loss the worse a shot is struck (like with any blade). I believe a mid handicap golfer (10-12) can still play these irons and hit some terrific shots and enjoy the feel. Those who have terrific ball stricking ability will like this iron.

As for me, I believe once I reshaft/regrip these will become very dependable irons with tremendous feel. The lack of a 3 iron and going to 4 degree loft separation on long irons will take a bit of getting used to. This allows a fourth wedge to go in the bag which I will use a lot more than another long iron or hybrid. Having designed amount of bounce will stop my tendency to dig and might eliminate some slightly chubby (not quite fat but not flush) shots I produce from time to time.

Nice work @RobotDoctor, I look forward to your thoughts when you have your shafts and grips changed 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I like the tourV110’s in my ptxpro’s, and oddly, I like the 780 recoil smacwrap in the equalizer wedges. I didn’t like the f3 760 recoils in my TM790’s tho...

grips are fine to me as well- different boats eh?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Those Icons look awesome

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Beautiful clubs, nice side by side pictures

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the great photos! 

Those new icons are definitely sweet looking. Let us know how you hit them. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 9* w/ Accra Tour Z RPG 462 M4+

3 Wood: :titelist-small:TSi2 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

3 Hybrid: :ping-small: G425 19* w/ Alta CB 70

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB (4-6) / MMC (7-PW) w/ DG X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 54 S-grind / 58 M-grind w/ DG S300

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Rx V-line Fang 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 

I have played three rounds with my Icon blades with the Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts installed.  The feel of these irons are very similar to the feel of my '99 Apex blades (which I absolutely love).  What I really love about the Icons over my Apex blades is the turn interaction of the Icons over the Apex blades.  The 6 iron - pitching wedge are adjusted stronger to be the same lofts but negates a bit of bounce leading to sharp turf interaction (have to love bent grass fairways as I can rip beaver pelt size divots with the Apex).  The feel on well struck shots has the feel we hope to have for any iron ..... butter.  Shots struck just outside of the sweet spot still feel terrific but there is a slight distance loss, maybe 5 yards.  I am having an issue with a tendency to flip my irons at the moment so my iron contact isn't ideal and the trajectory is a bit higher than I want.  I have the Icons at standard loft but a couple of degrees flat.  I might move that to 1 degree flat but I am seeing how this works out.  I am also having a bit of a time calculating shots between the 190+ range.  I normally hit my 5 iron around 200 yards (Colorado altitude) but the 1 degree stronger loft is playing mind games with me.  I used to have a 3 iron (21 degrees), 4 iron (24 degrees) and a 5 iron 27 degrees.  The 4 iron is 22 degrees so I will either have to perfect a stinger or learn a 75%-80% 2 iron hybrid shot.  Small issues to have.  I have added a 54* SW and adjusted the loft on my 50* GW from 52* back to 50*.  I think I will use more wedges in a round than a long iron so this should be good.

Overall, these are relatively easy forged blades to hit, at least they are for me.  I really like them.  My past 3 rounds (including the first two driving the ball poorly, working through a flipping issue and having an alignment issue) I scored 77, 79 (par 71 home course) and 78 (par 72).  My home course I play from the blue tees (6,671 yards and fairly tight tree lined).  I played a course near Denver today at 7,067 yards par 72 and drove the ball very well.  Poor alignment cost me a shot or two.  Short game saved a few shots.  I also walked the course today (Covid-19 cart restrictions) and I am NOT used to walking and carrying my bag.  I believe I will start walking (as it is good for me and I need to).  Carrying my bag wasn't that bad.  I can lessen the weight by carrying only 6-8 balls, removing used balls from my bag, leaving training aids in the trunk.  I am probably going to play again Saturday morning.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying them. I had the same issue with the Tour V shafts when I switched took me about 2 weeks to get used to them but use I did they were great. The counterbalance is tough. The modus is a great shaft though.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the comparison pictures.

I currently play the 99 Apex but have just ordered the Icons in black. Just fancied a change.

Main reason for the change is the V-sole. Hoping this will reduce the digging. Our fairways are tight and firm so i am looking for the bounce to give me a bit of confidence to go after it.

Your brushed Apex look great and will definitely look to get mine refurbished when the Icons arrive