TESTERS WANTED! ×

Higher bounce on the sand wedge or lob wedge?

CrazyGolfNut

When I first started playing, I was told that the sand wedge should have a higher bounce than the lob wedge.  Today when you go to manufactures websites and fill out their survey, they tend to put the higher bounce on the lob wedge (based on my input to the survey).  Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Leaving out the issue of different grinds, different turf conditions, and different sand compositions, the club you intend to use for play from sand should generally have higher bounce.  For me, that's my 56.  Less bounce makes it easier to open the club more and hit softer lob shots, so my 60 has a little less bounce.  That's my personal not-very-well-researched opinion, and may not reflect current principles.  And as I noted, local conditions could alter the choices.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

32 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Leaving out the issue of different grinds, different turf conditions, and different sand compositions, the club you intend to use for play from sand should generally have higher bounce.  For me, that's my 56.  Less bounce makes it easier to open the club more and hit softer lob shots, so my 60 has a little less bounce.  That's my personal not-very-well-researched opinion, and may not reflect current principles.  And as I noted, local conditions could alter the choices.

Same for me. 54 SW with more bounce and 58 LW with less bounce and ignoring all other variables that Dave mentioned.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Agree with Dave. You need the most bounce on the club you are using for shots that have the clubhead come in steeply then skip forward off the ground. This is the correct bunker technique and can also be used to blast the ball out of rough or divots. Typically a 56* wedge is the club of choice for this type of shot. For shots with a shallow angle of attack, like chips and lobs, less bounce is desired to help keep the leading edge low. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

my bounce gets progressively higher as I move from 52 to 56 to 60.  But my grinds also change too.

My 52 has 8* of bounce and is the F grind.  Its my lowest bounce so I'll use it off of tight lies when needed and mostly square shots.

My 56 had 10* of bounce and is the S grind.  It will play a lot like the 52 but has some more flexibility to open the face a little and not raise the leading edge too far off the ground.

My 60 had 12* of bounce and is the D grind.  It's the highest bounce, but also most versatile grind.  I can open it way up and not really see a change is the leading edge height.

I get pretty steep with my wedge shots, so I lean on the higher side of bounce overall. But I'd rather have to deal with a bad hardpan lie once in a while than struggle like I used to on softer fairways and lower bounce options.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Set makeup is generally what works best for you. I recently watched a video with short game instructor James sieckmann and his recommendation is having one high bounce and one low bounce. Depending on how you use your wedges the sand wedge has highest and lob the lowest.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Set makeup is generally what works best for you. I recently watched a video with short game instructor James sieckmann and his recommendation is having one high bounce and one low bounce. Depending on how you use your wedges the sand wedge has highest and lob the lowest.

I believe Bob Vokey recommends the same setup of for golfers and as you mention the use of the wedge will go into where to put it as Will course conditions. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I believe Bob Vokey recommends the same setup of for golfers and as you mention the use of the wedge will go into where to put it as Will course conditions. 

Yup.  I use my Lob wedge on partial shots from normal fairway lies  and trouble shots around the green (rough and bunkers) so I have higher bounce in my 59 than in my 54

Generally speaking, the SW should have the higher bounce as the interaction with the sand and bounce work together. If you have a higher bounce in the LW, the chance to turn a 30-yard lob shot into a 60-yard lob shot is greatly increased. Not taking into account grinds, turf conditions, etc.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I play all my green side bunker shots and 95% of shots inside 80 yards with my 59* and 3* bounce. Have always had my lob wedge with about the lowest possible bounce out there. Just fits my game better that way. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, Titleist87 said:

Generally speaking, the SW should have the higher bounce as the interaction with the sand and bounce work together. If you have a higher bounce in the LW, the chance to turn a 30-yard lob shot into a 60-yard lob shot is greatly increased. Not taking into account grinds, turf conditions, etc.

It depends on whether one is using the sw for sand shots. Just because it has sand in the name doesn’t mean everyone uses it for that purpose. I know some guys that only play lw from bunkers.

also depends on the type of sand used. There’s no one size fits all

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

48 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It depends on whether one is using the sw for sand shots. Just because it has sand in the name doesn’t mean everyone uses it for that purpose. I know some guys that only play lw from bunkers.

also depends on the type of sand used. There’s no one size fits all

Agreed, which is why I used term "generally" and not not factoring in grinds, turf conditions, etc.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Yea you can also affect the bounce by changing the face angle at impact, shaft lean, grind relief, and a bunch of other variables that you can take into account.

But to keep golf simple I really like the two wedge setup above. One “sand wedge” that has high bounce for shots that require a club to not dig with a more vertical angle of attack, and one “gap wedge” or “lob wedge” with low bounce for shots that are shallower angle of attack. The loft is personal choice but 56 is common for a “sand wedge”, 52 for a “gap wedge”, and 60 for a “lob wedge”. I like starting out with a 52 and 56 degree wedge bc the 60 degree loft tends to be difficult to use until there are good wedge play mechanics in place. 

Once one starts to figure out how to use two wedges with good mechanics then there are a ton of options to customize or specialize. 

It’s funny because I dig down with a low bounce LW so much more frequently than I’ll thin or skull the high bounce so its the opposite for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

It’s funny because I dig down with a low bounce LW so much more frequently than I’ll thin or skull the high bounce so its the opposite for me.

I tend to do the same.  Bounce is my friend.  Both my 54 and my 60 have high bounce... 14 and 12º respectively, but they have a C-grind so are easy to open up without skulling.  I also play both on firm turf, but my 60 is my goto.  I use both from the sand; the 60 close to the green with a close pin and the 54 if I have a longer shot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I tend to do the same.  Bounce is my friend.  Both my 54 and my 60 have high bounce... 14 and 12º respectively, but they have a C-grind so are easy to open up without skulling.  I also play both on firm turf, but my 60 is my goto.  I use both from the sand; the 60 close to the green with a close pin and the 54 if I have a longer shot.

I’m going from 7* of bounce in my LW to 12* and I can really feel the difference even in my yard. So much more forgiving for my swing.

Online fitting tools likely recommend higher bounce on the LW because most golfers tend to use their highest lofted wedge for bunker shots which is where you would most likely need additional bounce. Personally, I like the 54-56* wedge to have the most bounce and my 58-60* wedge to have a bit less bounce with a different grind.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I’m going from 7* of bounce in my LW to 12* and I can really feel the difference even in my yard. So much more forgiving for my swing.

Sounds like you have a steep attack angle, in which case bounce is desired to stop the leading edge from digging. 

Sounds like you have a steep attack angle, in which case bounce is desired to stop the leading edge from digging. 

I absolutely do. 110% accurate.

I’m pretty sure I’ve taken a divot in wet conditions that was a good foot long and 2-3 inches deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@B.Boston Yea I’ve had a similar experience. Though I tend to be a picker and just shave the grass. Playing at an extremely well kept private club in VA during a high school match, small green and I really wanted some zip. Well I got the spin back, but I also took a full yard of turf 2” deep with it... put the slice back in the divot, but I felt guilty the entire walk to the green. 

Edited by zrumble

• 1 month later...

I actually have a high bounce on both my 54 and 58. However I typically use my 58 for sand shots

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

Me too: I’ve got the K grind on my 60, as well as 12 degrees of bounce. I’ve got the F grind on my 52 & 56, as I primarily use them as full swing clubs and my 60 for sand, flops, chips & pitches.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Going to be kind of going in reverse for the #cobraconnect challenge 4. Currently I have SM7 in 52.08F, 56.10S, 60.12D.

I’m keeping 3 different grinds on the MIMs but the bounce is reversed.

52.12 Classic (looks similar to Vokey S but higher bounce)
56.10 Versatile (looks like An M grind)
60.04 widelow (looks like the new K low bounce)

I never would have thought of a bounce that low, but with the wide sole I think it might work well. And I’ll still have options for various lies which I did not have before. Looking at arccos ive used all of my wedges so far this season fairly evenly. In prior years that would not be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the CBX2 wedges. 50/54/58. Al different grinds all high bounce for wedges. They all play great out of the sand. I love this 58. Easily open up the face but “theoretically” this 54 should be better. 
all depends on what you feel I think. Give me a club I’ll hit it out of the sand.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!