Higher bounce on the sand wedge or lob wedge?

Our Sponsors

When I first started playing, I was told that the sand wedge should have a higher bounce than the lob wedge.  Today when you go to manufactures websites and fill out their survey, they tend to put the higher bounce on the lob wedge (based on my input to the survey).  Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM6 52 F & 56M wedges | Rife Mid Mallet 400 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Srixon Q Star Tour yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Leaving out the issue of different grinds, different turf conditions, and different sand compositions, the club you intend to use for play from sand should generally have higher bounce.  For me, that's my 56.  Less bounce makes it easier to open the club more and hit softer lob shots, so my 60 has a little less bounce.  That's my personal not-very-well-researched opinion, and may not reflect current principles.  And as I noted, local conditions could alter the choices.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have a steep angle of attack and find that the higher bounce on my wedges help combat digging too deep.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M5 9.0* 
:titelist-small: 915d 18* & 21*
:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4&5
:titelist-small: ZB 6-P
:titelist-small: SM7 52-F, 56-S & SM6 60-K
:cameron-small: Newport TeI3

32 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Leaving out the issue of different grinds, different turf conditions, and different sand compositions, the club you intend to use for play from sand should generally have higher bounce.  For me, that's my 56.  Less bounce makes it easier to open the club more and hit softer lob shots, so my 60 has a little less bounce.  That's my personal not-very-well-researched opinion, and may not reflect current principles.  And as I noted, local conditions could alter the choices.

Same for me. 54 SW with more bounce and 58 LW with less bounce and ignoring all other variables that Dave mentioned.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Agree with Dave. You need the most bounce on the club you are using for shots that have the clubhead come in steeply then skip forward off the ground. This is the correct bunker technique and can also be used to blast the ball out of rough or divots. Typically a 56* wedge is the club of choice for this type of shot. For shots with a shallow angle of attack, like chips and lobs, less bounce is desired to help keep the leading edge low. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

my bounce gets progressively higher as I move from 52 to 56 to 60.  But my grinds also change too.

My 52 has 8* of bounce and is the F grind.  Its my lowest bounce so I'll use it off of tight lies when needed and mostly square shots.

My 56 had 10* of bounce and is the S grind.  It will play a lot like the 52 but has some more flexibility to open the face a little and not raise the leading edge too far off the ground.

My 60 had 12* of bounce and is the D grind.  It's the highest bounce, but also most versatile grind.  I can open it way up and not really see a change is the leading edge height.

I get pretty steep with my wedge shots, so I lean on the higher side of bounce overall. But I'd rather have to deal with a bad hardpan lie once in a while than struggle like I used to on softer fairways and lower bounce options.

• Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

Set makeup is generally what works best for you. I recently watched a video with short game instructor James sieckmann and his recommendation is having one high bounce and one low bounce. Depending on how you use your wedges the sand wedge has highest and lob the lowest.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Set makeup is generally what works best for you. I recently watched a video with short game instructor James sieckmann and his recommendation is having one high bounce and one low bounce. Depending on how you use your wedges the sand wedge has highest and lob the lowest.

I believe Bob Vokey recommends the same setup of for golfers and as you mention the use of the wedge will go into where to put it as Will course conditions. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I believe Bob Vokey recommends the same setup of for golfers and as you mention the use of the wedge will go into where to put it as Will course conditions. 

Yup.  I use my Lob wedge on partial shots from normal fairway lies  and trouble shots around the green (rough and bunkers) so I have higher bounce in my 59 than in my 54

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

Generally speaking, the SW should have the higher bounce as the interaction with the sand and bounce work together. If you have a higher bounce in the LW, the chance to turn a 30-yard lob shot into a 60-yard lob shot is greatly increased. Not taking into account grinds, turf conditions, etc.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila  DVS

:macgregor-small: MT 3W Aldila DVS/Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915H3 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Cameron Studio Design #5/Cameron Santa Fe

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I play all my green side bunker shots and 95% of shots inside 80 yards with my 59* and 3* bounce. Have always had my lob wedge with about the lowest possible bounce out there. Just fits my game better that way. 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, Titleist87 said:

Generally speaking, the SW should have the higher bounce as the interaction with the sand and bounce work together. If you have a higher bounce in the LW, the chance to turn a 30-yard lob shot into a 60-yard lob shot is greatly increased. Not taking into account grinds, turf conditions, etc.

It depends on whether one is using the sw for sand shots. Just because it has sand in the name doesn’t mean everyone uses it for that purpose. I know some guys that only play lw from bunkers.

also depends on the type of sand used. There’s no one size fits all

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

48 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It depends on whether one is using the sw for sand shots. Just because it has sand in the name doesn’t mean everyone uses it for that purpose. I know some guys that only play lw from bunkers.

also depends on the type of sand used. There’s no one size fits all

Agreed, which is why I used term "generally" and not not factoring in grinds, turf conditions, etc.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila  DVS

:macgregor-small: MT 3W Aldila DVS/Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915H3 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Cameron Studio Design #5/Cameron Santa Fe

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Yea you can also affect the bounce by changing the face angle at impact, shaft lean, grind relief, and a bunch of other variables that you can take into account.

But to keep golf simple I really like the two wedge setup above. One “sand wedge” that has high bounce for shots that require a club to not dig with a more vertical angle of attack, and one “gap wedge” or “lob wedge” with low bounce for shots that are shallower angle of attack. The loft is personal choice but 56 is common for a “sand wedge”, 52 for a “gap wedge”, and 60 for a “lob wedge”. I like starting out with a 52 and 56 degree wedge bc the 60 degree loft tends to be difficult to use until there are good wedge play mechanics in place. 

Once one starts to figure out how to use two wedges with good mechanics then there are a ton of options to customize or specialize. 

It’s funny because I dig down with a low bounce LW so much more frequently than I’ll thin or skull the high bounce so its the opposite for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

#cuetheduckboats

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

It’s funny because I dig down with a low bounce LW so much more frequently than I’ll thin or skull the high bounce so its the opposite for me.

I tend to do the same.  Bounce is my friend.  Both my 54 and my 60 have high bounce... 14 and 12º respectively, but they have a C-grind so are easy to open up without skulling.  I also play both on firm turf, but my 60 is my goto.  I use both from the sand; the 60 close to the green with a close pin and the 54 if I have a longer shot.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I tend to do the same.  Bounce is my friend.  Both my 54 and my 60 have high bounce... 14 and 12º respectively, but they have a C-grind so are easy to open up without skulling.  I also play both on firm turf, but my 60 is my goto.  I use both from the sand; the 60 close to the green with a close pin and the 54 if I have a longer shot.

I’m going from 7* of bounce in my LW to 12* and I can really feel the difference even in my yard. So much more forgiving for my swing.

• Like 1

#cuetheduckboats

Online fitting tools likely recommend higher bounce on the LW because most golfers tend to use their highest lofted wedge for bunker shots which is where you would most likely need additional bounce. Personally, I like the 54-56* wedge to have the most bounce and my 58-60* wedge to have a bit less bounce with a different grind.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

4 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I’m going from 7* of bounce in my LW to 12* and I can really feel the difference even in my yard. So much more forgiving for my swing.

Sounds like you have a steep attack angle, in which case bounce is desired to stop the leading edge from digging. 

• Like 2

Sounds like you have a steep attack angle, in which case bounce is desired to stop the leading edge from digging. 

I absolutely do. 110% accurate.

I’m pretty sure I’ve taken a divot in wet conditions that was a good foot long and 2-3 inches deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

#cuetheduckboats