TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby TSW Wedge (56/12)

azstu324

What to do? I got a set of DBM’s 2 years ago, always wondering why the f-.....k are my gap and pitching wedge so close to each other like 110 and 115???? Corona and pulled the bag cleaning and swinging in the house set up against the wall and o my, wtf gap is longer than pithing by 1/2. Ok now I know. Pulled the trigger on a set of PTM’s 5-G with a 52 and 56 TSW, just arrived this morning, beautiful and  WTF gap is longer than pitching!!?!?!? 
Hey man, I bet if you were to call Golfworks and tell them your situation, and have them look at the order sheet, they'd probably send you the corrected lengths with a return label to send the others back. Sounds like they just switched the GW and PW shafts.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So I played Dunwoodie with my new set TSW 56, 52, PTM’s G-5. Looks fantastic and feels amazingly soft, go straight and super easy to hit! 56 cam out of the bunker with great control/ distance. My yardages have changed from the DBM’s because of the stronger lofts but working great, 56-100, 52-110,G-120, P-130, 9-140, 8-150, 7-160, 6-170 struggling a bit with the 5, moved from light graphite to 115 steel and its working great and straight! Thinking I might have to go with a 105 g in the 5i

Two steps forwards one step back!

So I played Dunwoodie with my new set TSW 56, 52, PTM’s G-5. Looks fantastic and feels amazingly soft, go straight and super easy to hit! 56 cam out of the bunker with great control/ distance. My yardages have changed from the DBM’s because of the stronger lofts but working great, 56-100, 52-110,G-120, P-130, 9-140, 8-150, 7-160, 6-170 struggling a bit with the 5, moved from light graphite to 115 steel and its working great and straight! Thinking I might have to go with a 105 g in the 5i
On a lot of my builds I stay heavy in the wedge and go lighter at the top of the bag.
When the tour x had a 105g option. Wedges to PW where 105g, 9-7 where 95g 6-4 were 85g. What i would wind up with was a near constant weighted shaft set.
As the new RT shafts come out and the weight options will go from 75 up to 105 ill do a set similar and see how it plays.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Got in the 50* TSW yesterday got it built up and here it looks fantastic love the shape. Here is it with the TS-1 PW(right) for an idea of blending. Looking forward to getting out and trying this thing.20200613_114555.jpg20200613_114736.jpg20200613_115029.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 6/12/2020 at 2:21 PM, Popeye64 said:

On a lot of my builds I stay heavy in the wedge and go lighter at the top of the bag.
When the tour x had a 105g option. Wedges to PW where 105g, 9-7 where 95g 6-4 were 85g. What i would wind up with was a near constant weighted shaft set.
As the new RT shafts come out and the weight options will go from 75 up to 105 ill do a set similar and see how it plays.

I am waiting for the RT 95?!? thinking of getting the TS2 5 with it and maybe 4 as well instead of the ptm 5 and a g400 hybrid, love the hybrid but disputation is all over?only thinking, I have to learn to pull/install and start tinkering a lot more, I love that kind of stuff! Can’t wait to get out 2-3 times a week and hitttt my new setup!Local course stillll closed here in Queens NY!!!

Edited by TheFonzzz

I am waiting for the RT 95?!? thinking of getting the TS2 5 with it and maybe 4 as well instead of the ptm 5 and a g400 hybrid ?only thinking, I have to learn to pull/install and start tinkering a lot more, I love that kind of stuff! having to play Bethpage or Dunwoodie four now ones a weak only if you can get a tea time? and not my local Clearview because it’s still closed!?! Can’t wait to get out 2-3 times a week and hitttt my new setup!
They are actually being built now. Will be a little while before they are ready for retail.
The TS-2, I could hit that with a baby draw and it was stupid long. Actually when it got down the the 9i and GW they went simply too far for me.

I was hitting the 6 ptm sweetly but the 5 with the ttlight is not working at all? I think what I will do for now is just bag my dmp 5 that I hit well and wait for the new shafts and re shaft the 5ptm? Bethpage tomorrow here I come!!!

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, pozzit said:

I look forward to your opinions of the TSW after building a set of TS1s I'm missing a 50* in ym bag and also thinking of balancing my wedges to 50,54,58 compared to 50 56 60 I feel like i have a huge gap from 50 to 56.

I was playing 50, 54, 58 and v changed to 50, 54, 60. 

• 50 set Ping G2 U wedge
  • 54 Maltby M+ Tour 54
  • 58 Maltby M+ Mid 58
  • 60 Maltby MG Tour 60

The 58 is not as versatile with the sole grind it has. I am much more consistent with the 60 close to the greens with tight lies so I switched it out. 

I didn't need the 60 for distance as I never take a full swing with it. 

Actually, I try to not take a full swing with any wedge because I get too much backspin that rolls of the greens so, I usually club up and swing 3/4 - 90% to control what happens on the green better. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/26/2020 at 9:36 AM, Popeye64 said:

Wow. Im more than pleasantly surprised to see they kept a smaller head size yet gave the sole such a relieved leading edge.
The past few years Maltby have embraced the 4 way or relieved sole all across the product line. It works for so many players yet still appeals to the better player by keeping a small profile.
The MG Tour can be brutal in turf contact as its a sharp leading edge. These look like they will laugh at poor turf conditions.
These are exactly what I would be looking for in a wedge. Had I not just reloaded with the M+ 52 56 I would be all over these.

That is exactly why I stopped carrying my 52 MG Tour and went with the set gap. 

But, in the 60 MG Tour I find the bounce profile and edge design helps me clip the ball so well that I am more accurate around the greens with it than something with more bounce or forgiveness. 

Edited by Delete
Spelling

On 6/8/2020 at 10:07 PM, azstu324 said:

Something I'm finding out more about the TSW.. or at least the 56° is that it's actually quite forgiving but with excellent feedback.

I had an approach the other day that was 112 out. I immediately knew that I struck the ball high on the toe. My buddy was watching and said "great shot man!".. then in mid flight I said "naw man, it was super toey, it'll be short". It landed 5' short of the pin and about 2' offline. He then said, "not as toey as you thought huh?". Looked at the club and the ball mark was right in the top pocket of the toe. 1mm off and I probably would have shanked it. At most I lost 5-8 yds of distance and the direction was negligible. Not to mention, it just bounced once and slammed the breaks.

Also, it just glides through turf and thick stuff pretty effortlessly. So far I'm finding no reasons to have any other wedge other than my set Gap (51°)

Back spin on shorter shots and ability to control the amount of spin is really something else! The TSW quickly becoming a very strong candidate for favorite club.

I’ve neglected this post for a few weeks and love what I’m reading in that time. One thing that rings true for me is this statement right here. Not only do they feel great but the performance is as good as anything I’ve ever played. Last week I played and almost made a Rory 5

...that’s when you’re in the middle of the fairway inside 100 and you make bogey...

390 par 4, 80 in and a front left pin with a trap guarding that front pin. I took my 58 from the left rough and straight up missed it. My mark was high on the toe and I knew the minute I hit it, I was going to end short. Nope. Landed on the front edge and rolled up to give me a look at birdie. 

The confidence from knowing I can miss a shot and still end up within a tighter margin of error is priceless. 

If you’re on the fence, give one a shot. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

It's quite obvious that Maltby outdid themselves with this wedge (as they have done many times over). Wouldn't it be just a riot if it somehow made it into the MGS 2020 Most Wanted Wedge test?! Would have so many going .. wait.. what? Who? Huh? "What just happened?" 😵

MAXFLI  Tour CG

39 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

It's quite obvious that Maltby outdid themselves with this wedge (as they have done many times over). Wouldn't it be just a riot if it somehow made it into the MGS 2020 Most Wanted Wedge test?! Would have so many going .. wait.. what? Who? Huh? "What just happened?" 😵

I am still waiting for someone to say something negative about these wedges. If I’m being critical, the wide sole and limited bounce / grinds will be an easy target. Overall, TSW wedges would work for a wide spectrum of golfers, even ones who over analyze their needs. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I am still waiting for someone to say something negative about these wedges. If I’m being critical, the wide sole and limited bounce / grinds will be an easy target. Overall, TSW wedges would work for a wide spectrum of golfers, even ones who over analyze their needs. 
Yea I would agree with bounce options since those that are finding these likely see the benefits of different bounce and grinds. I wish they could get more love they do really make some fantastic clubs and would love to see them do something like Sub70 and brand it slightly different then the component side.
I would be ecstatic to see this in MGS wedge testing.

With the wider sole there is much more effective bounce. This isn't designed as a wedge you could shave with. The relieved edge and generous sole make it super playable. If you need more of a players wedge the Tour MG is the one.

1 minute ago, Popeye64 said:

With the wider sole there is much more effective bounce. This isn't designed as a wedge you could shave with. The relieved edge and generous sole make it super playable. If you need more of a players wedge the Tour MG is the one.

We know that. I’m saying for those who are trying to kick it down before giving it a shot, that would be their exclusionary criteria. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Used my 54° for the first time and it felt good. I didn't have any full shots with it but used it on some short shots I would typically use my 60 on but it felt great. I had some great success with it and now I want a 60. I did hit a great sand shot with it though and it worked very well.

Played with my 50* Tonight as well got a full swing and partial on the course and some shots can on the range. The full swings felt and flew great the partials I need to practice more. The club performed but I didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy this wedge it has a great shape and really performs. I was reaching for my 50 at times that I would have use 56 or 60(non TSW) because of the lie and the bounce this club was giving me. It was right in the distance I was looking for and in a good majority of the time it landed and stopped. Made some craters on the greens landing and stopping on courses that were quite firm.

5 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Man did I get a lot of spin off of my 54 yesterday when I was hitting it. I'll be adding a 58 in my bag to replace my 60

I wouldn't call myself a "Wedgie" by any means, but I love this part of the game because it invokes more in-the-moment creativity than any other part of the game. Especially when taken my path of "single" or "swiss army wedge", it's important to have a tool that's as versatile and effective from 10 yds as it is from 110 yds. I'm probably a good 15 rounds in with the TSW and the all-around performance of this wedge has absolutely BLOWN ME AWAY! Looks, Feel, Feedback, forgiveness.. Distance control on full or partial shots is superb! Spin and ball interaction is as good as anything. If someone came and offered me a brand new wedge of any manufacture for trade, I'd gladly say no thanks! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I wouldn't call myself a "Wedgie" by any means, but I love this part of the game because it invokes more in-the-moment creativity than any other part of the game. Especially when taken my path of "single" or "swiss army wedge", it's important to have a tool that's as versatile and effective from 10 yds as it is from 110 yds. I'm probably a good 15 rounds in with the TSW and the all-around performance of this wedge has absolutely BLOWN ME AWAY! Looks, Feel, Feedback, forgiveness.. Distance control on full or partial shots is superb! Spin and ball interaction is as good as anything. If someone came and offered me a brand new wedge of any manufacture for trade, I'd gladly say no thanks! 

Great explanation of what a wedge is to you.

You've got me looking into these wedges after this write-up popped up on the recent content. I'm not a builder, but the price on a built set is superb and the options of shaft and grip seem to be abundant. I need to do some research on what shaft I would need, I'm currently playing the DG spinner that comes stock in the Bridgestone and really like it, but wonder if something else might be better. 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

You've got me looking into these wedges after this write-up popped up on the recent content. I'm not a builder, but the price on a built set is superb and the options of shaft and grip seem to be abundant. I need to do some research on what shaft I would need, I'm currently playing the DG spinner that comes stock in the Bridgestone and really like it, but wonder if something else might be better. 

I'm right there with you! Every time I see this thread it gets me thinking...

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

4 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'm right there with you! Every time I see this thread it gets me thinking...

Seriously, I've built up several sets and at around $75 a wedge it's a steal of a deal. I'm always a little hesitant to pull the trigger on something I haven't hit, but the rave reviews here have me thinking...

(Information below is for any Maltby wedge model)

So I am a long time hobbyist club builder (I don't make a living fitting/building clubs, repaired a lot for people over the years though). As I have stated in other threads within MGS forums, I am a wedge junkie. Buy too many , build too many just to try. Love wedges. 

I have built/occasionally gamed several Maltby model wedges over the years. I do believe that if fit properly (will expand that thought below) that certain Maltby wedges are perfect for most golfers and on par with several OEM name brand wedges.

However, I caution anyone considering these to make absolutely sure you have a shaft picked out that fits your abilities(steel/graphite / heavy-light) for these wedge club heads. Second, look at the sole type (wide,narrow, etc), bounce and if they are the diamond hardened black  versions. Probably true for any wedge but especially for a component/custom build.

Many golfers play wedges that the lie/loft angles are bent flatter or more upright - stronger/weaker from original spec. The black DBM (Diamonized Black Metal) finish on some of the Maltby models is not designed to be bent (if any) a degree =/- at best. Yes there are many that may have performed more than a 1 deg bend -- I say let a professional do it (i.e. Let Golfworks if they will) that understands tolerances and has experience. Ask about tolerances first. 

Many have messed up trying to bend irons with certain "hardened" finishes/type metal. Heck it happens to pure forged wedges that have plenty of give. This is true with any brand , I just want to share knowledge for the non club builders considering these.

IMO, call and ask questions to your club builder/fitter and/or Golfworks.

These are awesome wedges but be smart if you get them (i.e. know your requirements, let someone help). 

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

They may have the shaft you are looking for but not in the selection 

I'd say you probably couldn't go wrong with either the TT/DG or KBS pack options.

Not sure if you picked it up earlier but I took the DG Spinner out of my Bridgestone and installed it in the TSW and that combo is great.

If you've been used to the Tour B XW-1, IMO, the TSW looks, feels, and performs better so you have absolutely nothing to lose.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 6/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, pozzit said:

Got in the 50* TSW yesterday got it built up and here it looks fantastic love the shape. Here is it with the TS-1 PW(right) for an idea of blending. Looking forward to getting out and trying this thing.20200613_114555.jpg20200613_114736.jpg20200613_115029.jpg

That's a great picture of the leading edge. Thanks! I like my M-Series+ wedges, but they are a bit too upright. These may need to join my PTMs since I can have them bent a little flat without issue.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver