TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby TSW Wedge (56/12)

azstu324

22 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I'd say you probably couldn't go wrong with either the TT/DG or KBS pack options.

Not sure if you picked it up earlier but I took the DG Spinner out of my Bridgestone and installed it in the TSW and that combo is great.

If you've been used to the Tour B XW-1, IMO, the TSW looks, feels, and performs better so you have absolutely nothing to lose.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

I'm seriously considering it, it seems like it performs well for you and absolutely looks fantastic. It's also good to hear about the shaft combos, that's the big concern. There's enough options to make me feel a little overwhelmed, it's kind of like back in the day choosing which songs to download. I always had a list, but when the time came, my mind took a sabbatical. 

I'm seriously considering it, it seems like it performs well for you and absolutely looks fantastic. It's also good to hear about the shaft combos, that's the big concern. There's enough options to make me feel a little overwhelmed, it's kind of like back in the day choosing which songs to download. I always had a list, but when the time came, my mind took a sabbatical. 
If you are struggling with a shaft choice simply grab the stock club pak. The TT Score LT will get the job done quite nicely for not much money.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

If you are struggling with a shaft choice simply grab the stock club pak. The TT Score LT will get the job done quite nicely for not much money.

If you're comfortable tinkering a little, you could run with the stock option like@Popeye64 mentioned and order a couple extra .370 ferrules. If the Score shaft isn't your cup-o-tea you could delve into some easy club building. The removal and installation process is pretty simple with steel shafts.. just heat and some elbow grease.. and then re-prepping the shaft with some sand paper.

I knew that I wanted to install the DG Spinner so it made the decision process easy to just order the head and ferrule.

Oh, one thing I'd recommend for sure if you're gonna have Golfworks build one is to find out their stock length and make sure to order the same length as your Bridgestone.. just because it's a length you're use to.

Can't wait to hear what you think man!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I have really liked the stock Scope LT shaft has been great for me with the TSW & M-Series+.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 7/3/2020 at 8:00 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Don't know your specs regarding a shaft that you play but below are my recommendations. I have used each in Maltby wedges as well as other brand wedges.

Obviously the more popular choices are TT Dynamic and KBS varieties. And those are great shaft plus have proven track records, but the ones below are my favorites as I get feel, spin and weight-balance I prefer in my wedges.  

Graphite choice (you can order from Golfworks): 1st choice: Paderson Graphite Wedge shaft (115 gram weight area) https://www.golfworks.com/paderson-kinetixx-ts-w-370-wedge-shafts/p/pk0106/  

2nd choice: Steel shaft / Nippon Modulus Steel (110-115 gram weight areas)   https://www.golfworks.com/nippon-ns-pro-modus-3-wedge-shafts/p/np0017v/

Over time you will learn/identify the type shafts you prefer for wedges. Lots of options. Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I have an update.. 

Nothing's changed.. this wedge is the $#!T!!!

😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So I have an update.. 

Nothing's changed.. this wedge is the $#!T!!!

Well that's one hell of an update. I completely agree I think I will likely pick up a 54 & 58 when the times come.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I ordered the kit and assembled this myself. Just the basic kit with the TT Score shaft. I wanted this to match the weight of my iron shafts. It feels like a...shaft. Feels like the TT DG 115 shafts. Swing weight feels great. 

On to the good stuff. I bought this because I like the look of a rounded leading edge on a wedge, and this suits my eye perfect. I have used it in practice sessions and 2 rounds so far, and love the look and feel. It seems to perform just as good on long and short approach shots. I haven’t measured it, but the ball stopped as well or better than my ping glide 2.0, subject to strike (I am an amateur after all). There are no micro grooves (I don’t know how much they were really doing for me anyway), but I still stopped the ball on the green and sometimes spun it back when struck well. Distance control was excellent, again subject to strike. What I did notice though was my ability to strike it well. I hit a lot more decent shots, and I FELT like I was more confident with it. Time will tell, but I am super happy with it, and glad I got the basic kit. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to see a traditional wedge with a little rounding on the leading edge. Looks every well made, not cheap, just simple. 

E79358A1-8DF5-40E0-98F9-E56BCFDBDCB1.jpeg

49FE35CA-DFFA-4133-A64F-BA08514ACF48.jpeg

5D3A726E-F90A-4242-953A-DE33D80D109D.jpeg

So I took the late plunge on these because I had a set of Xcaliber Spin Wedge shafts on the way. After all these years I have never tinkered with them.
I ordered the 52 and the 56. First off they are flat out sexy. Such a classy looking wedge. Simple graphics and understated looks.
Its a surprisingly compact head as well.
First go round at a ramge with gnarly grass left me with a,,, oh wow. These are horrible.. feeling. Couldn't find the face. Struggled through the cabbage and just had no feel. Even a buddy didn't like them.
So today I just got home from sea and took a chance and brought these out. Right from the first green I hit a tight chip to save a bogey. Things were looking up. Starting on the back nine they got a workout. They were so instinctive and easy to play.
The sole has a definite rocker to them that I would set the wedge down right upon that rocker. It felt right. Gave me confidence that I wouldn't hit it fat. The wedge would glide through the turf. Taking a tiny divot but each time catching the ball very cleanly
With the spin wedge shafts the spin was a plenty. I was stopping the ball alot more quickly than my M+ gamers. They also go a good 5 yards further same loft. On full shots they really dance upon the green. They dont rip back but they certainly dance. They were certainly fun to play.
These shafts are 100g S flex and they are fairly stout. I might even want to try the R flex as I like a little more give to my wedge.
With that said these performed really well. I honestly can't complain about them feeling firm as I wound up with 5 birdies on the back. Finished at -2 as on the front side i caught up with the league and the final 4 holes took a month to finish.
For the first time out I was very surprised at how these played like I've been gaming them for ever. Huge fan of the sole and how it sits on the ground. For a wedge I thought I was gonna hate this one is a standout.
The last picture is why I made 5 birdies in 7 holes.
I may put a Spin Wedge in my PTM GW. To gain a little more gap as its only about 5-6 yards with the 52 TSW now... 20200702_224444.jpg20200722_200820.jpg20200722_200848.jpg20200722_171046.jpg

• 1 month later...

Resurrection post. I got fitted and have the spec  for a Mizuno T20, but it’s hard to spend $200 on a club that should be replaced every couple of years. For those who’ve used Golfworks builders, how are they if I give the specific lie and weight?

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

3 minutes ago, Rchang said:

Resurrection post. I got fitted and have the spec  for a Mizuno T20, but it’s hard to spend $200 on a club that should be replaced every couple of years. For those who’ve used Golfworks builders, how are they if I give the specific lie and weight?

Lie adjustments are very easy weight I'm sure if you put it into the  comments on the order form they could do that for you.

Golfworks custom shop will build it any way you spec it out.

16 hours ago, Rchang said:

Yes like the others have mentioned, loft, lie, length should be no problem. Don't quote me but I believe they'll do it for free on built clubs. Could be sets only though. Otherwise I think it's like a $5 fee. I just had a set of TS-1 irons built and they didn't charge anything to bend the lies and correct the lofts (lofts need to be corrected after lie is adjusted). I know that depending on the shaft choice and desired length, you could ask questions about swing weight and ask ahead if they can make weight enhancements and what it might cost. You can either ask on the web site or just call and talk to a tech directly. I don't see how any of that should be an issue being that it's GolfWorks who is building the clubs and they've got everything anyone could possibly need for custom club construction. 

Let us know if you have a particular Maltby wedge in mind. There are a few different models that appeal to different preferences. There are some guys who have played all of the wedge lines and could really give you some good input based on you preference. 

Personally, from Maltby I've only played the TSW Wedges.. but I'v e also played Callaway, Cobra, Bridgestone, Honma, and Titleist/Vokey over the years and the TSW's rank right up there with all of them in all of the categories. And coming in at around $60-$70 built with a premium shaft, it's a real runaway victory for Maltby IMO. 

Good luck!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

FYI, I was able to get my 50* out on Saturday for the first time. Definitely more noticeable offset and rounded leading edge than the 56*. Negligible but noticeable. I use my 50* more for full shots and lower trajectory running shots off the green. That said, even on full shots, if played slightly open, the offset and leading edge just seem to disappear. The head weight mass seems to be focused more around the outer bottom toe so this really helps in getting the face closed up and squared with natural momentum rather than trying to force it. This is really helpful on shorter finesse shots too. The club just swings and turns so naturally through the shot and really helps with controlled distance and trajectory. 

I put TT DG Spinner shafts in both the 50* and 56*.The jury is still out on whether or not I want to keep the shaft in the 50*. I'll give it a good 5-6 rounds just to make sure I like that setup. I like the weight but the ball just seems to fly a little too high on full shots. It'll definitely stay in the 56*. 

0822200737b.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

7 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

FYI, I was able to get my 50* out on Saturday for the first time. Definitely more noticeable offset and rounded leading edge than the 56*. Negligible but noticeable. I use my 50* more for full shots and lower trajectory running shots off the green. That said, even on full shots, if played slightly open, the offset and leading edge just seem to disappear. The head weight mass seems to be focused more around the outer bottom toe so this really helps in getting the face closed up and squared with natural momentum rather than trying to force it. This is really helpful on shorter finesse shots too. The club just swings and turns so naturally through the shot and really helps with controlled distance and trajectory. 

I put TT DG Spinner shafts in both the 50* and 56*.The jury is still out on whether or not I want to keep the shaft in the 50*. I'll give it a good 5-6 rounds just to make sure I like that setup. I like the weight but the ball just seems to fly a little too high on full shots. It'll definitely stay in the 56*. 

0822200737b.jpg

Interesting why they decided to go with that much offset in a "tour inspired profile". I'm curious why they decided to do that with the wedge, I would have thought the offset would be next to nothing

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

11 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Interesting why they decided to go with that much offset in a "tour inspired profile". I'm curious why they decided to do that with the wedge, I would have thought the offset would be next to nothing

I have a suspicion that the 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges are really the 52/56/60 bent 2* strong.  If you look at the specs, the offset increases on each of the 50/54/58, and the bounce decreases 2*.

It's nothing more than a guess, I have no inside info.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

4 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'll try to get a side by side. Really the 50* has the most noted offset of all of the clubs per the GW specs so I'm just pointing out the 1 obvious difference. The 56* shows hardly anything. 

My theory is that they likely had 3 separate forging dies rather than 6 and they probably just tweaked the lofts for the next club and stamped the correct #. From poking around on the ol interweb, I'm seeing that by strengthening the lofts, that will force additional offset and force the leading edge out a hair more. If you look at the spec from Maltby, for every 2 wedges, the higher lofted shows a lower offset. The 52*, 56*, and 60* all show the lowest offset. 

Also reading around though, I'm seeing that a lot of major OEM's like Ping and Callaway have added more offset and more rounded leading edge per player requests. I guess the offset does exactly what I had mentioned earlier in helping open the club up a little more. 

Don't let the comment about offset deter you though. I've always had an eye for minimal offset and the 50* doesn't put me off in the slightest. Once I saw how effective it is on the course and how pleasing to the eye it was at address, I've kind of forgotten about it. If offset really is a major factor, stick to one of the lower offset options and you'll be happy.  

image.png.ca77fb607eb8ce8be65e4908c47edc0e.png

I realize the PM is kind of a different animal in itself but check out the leading edge and offset that Phil prefers.. 

image.png.c37517dde17cb9aaacf4d085e2f5e4e5.png

MAXFLI  Tour CG

31 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I have a suspicion that the 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges are really the 52/56/60 bent 2* strong.  If you look at the specs, the offset increases on each of the 50/54/58, and the bounce decreases 2*.

HA!  f it weren't for my damn blasted wordiness.. You totally beat me to the punch on this one. I saw your comment pop up while I was typing and didn't realize that you said exactly what I was trying to get to 😛 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I have not fully embraced the TSW wedges. I actually brought back out my M+ wedges and are quite a bit more comfortable with them.
For me the M+ are more idiot proof.
I know I haven't given the TSW any practice dedication but my game seems to be a lot more versatile with the M+.

@azstu324 I currently have Vokey wedges. Was leaning towards the TSW. When I did my wedge fitting, liked the aggressive grind on the Mizuno 60 degree. Also never realized how much the shaft changed wedge feel. Glad to see Golfworks have the KBS Hi-rev.  Truespec gives out their prescription for the club and the fitter did recommend getting less bounce and doing the toe/heel relief 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

On 8/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, Rchang said:

@azstu324 I currently have Vokey wedges. Was leaning towards the TSW. When I did my wedge fitting, liked the aggressive grind on the Mizuno 60 degree. Also never realized how much the shaft changed wedge feel. Glad to see Golfworks have the KBS Hi-rev.  Truespec gives out their prescription for the club and the fitter did recommend getting less bounce and doing the toe/heel relief 

Reading this again, I wasn't sure if you were asking for a recommendation or not. If you're familiar with Vokeys, I'd say that the grind on these is pretty similar to the M grind. Lots of heel and toe relief to allow for a variety of different shots and I'm finding that these wedges are as versatile as any I've ever played. As you can see, each club though will vary slightly in sole width and leading edge profile. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Reading this again, I wasn't sure if you were asking for a recommendation or not. If you're familiar with Vokeys, I'd say that the grind on these is pretty similar to the M grind. Lots of heel and toe relief to allow for a variety of different shots and I'm finding that these wedges are as versatile as any I've ever played. As you can see, each club though will vary slightly in sole width and leading edge profile. 

This answers the question. With my current setup, I have a K grind 58 degree. Was my own thought that more bounce is better. But finding as my bunker technique improved and when sand is even slightly firm, I bladed the heck out of it. Was looking for aggressive ground heel and toe. Hard to tell those from pictures. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had issues with these wedges on soft/wet turf? Here in Florida, we have a season where we play primarily wet courses (late spring through about now) and then more firm courses in the winter through spring. 

I am struggling a bit with the turf interaction on the 50 and 58 degree wedges. I dont feel like there is a lot of forgiveness there. I am struggling with that leading edge digging around the greens and on less than full shots. I am not a digger either. But, I have been dumping my fair share short and trying to play a more open face and use the bounce more, but I dumped two partial wedges well short from 38 and 67 yards with my 58 yesterday. Did the same on a 3/4 50 degree from 90 yards or so.

I also remember a friend of mine who is a digger REALLY STRUGGLING to not hit these wedges fat on any shots. He pulled out his gamers and didn't struggle nearly as much. 

I really wish I could get a 50/08 and a 58/10 or 58/12 with this grind. I can take a 56/12 and bend it, but then I have either a 58/6 or 58/14 wedge. One is too much bounce and the other is not enough. 

Anyone else struggling with this issue?

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 1:26 AM, NRJyzr said:

According to Jim on the Product page Q&A (about the 3rd page of comments) its the exact opposite,  he said this

(and yes, there is a typo there) https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-tsw-drm-forged-wedges/p/ma0332/

The manufacture that made these wedges started with 50, 54 and 58 degrees wedges. They adjusted the 50 to create the 52. They adjusted the 54 to create the 56 and adjusted the 60 to create the 58. This is why the offset move around.

I guess this becomes really important for someone that wants any odd number lofts,  like me 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else but this is a teaser from Britt over at Golfworks showing the 2022 Maltny "Max" wedges. I know  there are some pics of the 2022 iron lineup floating around but I haven's seen these leaked anywhere yet. Looks like they've borrowed some tech queues from Edel with the movable weights and Cleveland with full-face grooves.

Hopefully they'll offer these with the DRM finish because that's a standout winner in my book! 

image.png.9f2557f3e5af3fdbd2f7ed14ebb75684.png

MAXFLI  Tour CG