Maltby TSW Wedge (56/12)

Our Sponsors

Man did I get a lot of spin off of my 54 yesterday when I was hitting it. I'll be adding a 58 in my bag to replace my 60

• Like 3
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They look pretty sexy in the bag also 🙂

So I took the late plunge on these because I had a set of Xcaliber Spin Wedge shafts on the way. After all these years I have never tinkered with them. I ordered the 52 and the 56. First off they are

I ordered the kit and assembled this myself. Just the basic kit with the TT Score shaft. I wanted this to match the weight of my iron shafts. It feels like a...shaft. Feels like the TT DG 115 shafts.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Man did I get a lot of spin off of my 54 yesterday when I was hitting it. I'll be adding a 58 in my bag to replace my 60

I wouldn't call myself a "Wedgie" by any means, but I love this part of the game because it invokes more in-the-moment creativity than any other part of the game. Especially when taken my path of "single" or "swiss army wedge", it's important to have a tool that's as versatile and effective from 10 yds as it is from 110 yds. I'm probably a good 15 rounds in with the TSW and the all-around performance of this wedge has absolutely BLOWN ME AWAY! Looks, Feel, Feedback, forgiveness.. Distance control on full or partial shots is superb! Spin and ball interaction is as good as anything. If someone came and offered me a brand new wedge of any manufacture for trade, I'd gladly say no thanks! 

• Like 3

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:titelist-small:  917F2 3 Wood / Project X Evenflow Blue 75g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Lamkin Sink Fit 

I wouldn't call myself a "Wedgie" by any means, but I love this part of the game because it invokes more in-the-moment creativity than any other part of the game. Especially when taken my path of "single" or "swiss army wedge", it's important to have a tool that's as versatile and effective from 10 yds as it is from 110 yds. I'm probably a good 15 rounds in with the TSW and the all-around performance of this wedge has absolutely BLOWN ME AWAY! Looks, Feel, Feedback, forgiveness.. Distance control on full or partial shots is superb! Spin and ball interaction is as good as anything. If someone came and offered me a brand new wedge of any manufacture for trade, I'd gladly say no thanks! 

Great explanation of what a wedge is to you.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You've got me looking into these wedges after this write-up popped up on the recent content. I'm not a builder, but the price on a built set is superb and the options of shaft and grip seem to be abundant. I need to do some research on what shaft I would need, I'm currently playing the DG spinner that comes stock in the Bridgestone and really like it, but wonder if something else might be better. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

You've got me looking into these wedges after this write-up popped up on the recent content. I'm not a builder, but the price on a built set is superb and the options of shaft and grip seem to be abundant. I need to do some research on what shaft I would need, I'm currently playing the DG spinner that comes stock in the Bridgestone and really like it, but wonder if something else might be better. 

I'm right there with you! Every time I see this thread it gets me thinking...

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

4 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'm right there with you! Every time I see this thread it gets me thinking...

Seriously, I've built up several sets and at around $75 a wedge it's a steal of a deal. I'm always a little hesitant to pull the trigger on something I haven't hit, but the rave reviews here have me thinking...

• Like 1

(Information below is for any Maltby wedge model)

So I am a long time hobbyist club builder (I don't make a living fitting/building clubs, repaired a lot for people over the years though). As I have stated in other threads within MGS forums, I am a wedge junkie. Buy too many , build too many just to try. Love wedges. 

I have built/occasionally gamed several Maltby model wedges over the years. I do believe that if fit properly (will expand that thought below) that certain Maltby wedges are perfect for most golfers and on par with several OEM name brand wedges.

However, I caution anyone considering these to make absolutely sure you have a shaft picked out that fits your abilities(steel/graphite / heavy-light) for these wedge club heads. Second, look at the sole type (wide,narrow, etc), bounce and if they are the diamond hardened black  versions. Probably true for any wedge but especially for a component/custom build.

Many golfers play wedges that the lie/loft angles are bent flatter or more upright - stronger/weaker from original spec. The black DBM (Diamonized Black Metal) finish on some of the Maltby models is not designed to be bent (if any) a degree =/- at best. Yes there are many that may have performed more than a 1 deg bend -- I say let a professional do it (i.e. Let Golfworks if they will) that understands tolerances and has experience. Ask about tolerances first. 

Many have messed up trying to bend irons with certain "hardened" finishes/type metal. Heck it happens to pure forged wedges that have plenty of give. This is true with any brand , I just want to share knowledge for the non club builders considering these.

IMO, call and ask questions to your club builder/fitter and/or Golfworks.

These are awesome wedges but be smart if you get them (i.e. know your requirements, let someone help). 

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

They may have the shaft you are looking for but not in the selection 

• Like 1

I'd say you probably couldn't go wrong with either the TT/DG or KBS pack options.

Not sure if you picked it up earlier but I took the DG Spinner out of my Bridgestone and installed it in the TSW and that combo is great.

If you've been used to the Tour B XW-1, IMO, the TSW looks, feels, and performs better so you have absolutely nothing to lose.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 1

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

On 6/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, pozzit said:

Got in the 50* TSW yesterday got it built up and here it looks fantastic love the shape. Here is it with the TS-1 PW(right) for an idea of blending. Looking forward to getting out and trying this thing.20200613_114555.jpg20200613_114736.jpg20200613_115029.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's a great picture of the leading edge. Thanks! I like my M-Series+ wedges, but they are a bit too upright. These may need to join my PTMs since I can have them bent a little flat without issue.

• Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.4 (Last Updated Nov. 10, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

22 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I'd say you probably couldn't go wrong with either the TT/DG or KBS pack options.

Not sure if you picked it up earlier but I took the DG Spinner out of my Bridgestone and installed it in the TSW and that combo is great.

If you've been used to the Tour B XW-1, IMO, the TSW looks, feels, and performs better so you have absolutely nothing to lose.

I'm seriously considering it, it seems like it performs well for you and absolutely looks fantastic. It's also good to hear about the shaft combos, that's the big concern. There's enough options to make me feel a little overwhelmed, it's kind of like back in the day choosing which songs to download. I always had a list, but when the time came, my mind took a sabbatical. 

• Haha 1
I'm seriously considering it, it seems like it performs well for you and absolutely looks fantastic. It's also good to hear about the shaft combos, that's the big concern. There's enough options to make me feel a little overwhelmed, it's kind of like back in the day choosing which songs to download. I always had a list, but when the time came, my mind took a sabbatical. 
If you are struggling with a shaft choice simply grab the stock club pak. The TT Score LT will get the job done quite nicely for not much money.

• Like 4
If you are struggling with a shaft choice simply grab the stock club pak. The TT Score LT will get the job done quite nicely for not much money.

If you're comfortable tinkering a little, you could run with the stock option like@Popeye64 mentioned and order a couple extra .370 ferrules. If the Score shaft isn't your cup-o-tea you could delve into some easy club building. The removal and installation process is pretty simple with steel shafts.. just heat and some elbow grease.. and then re-prepping the shaft with some sand paper.

I knew that I wanted to install the DG Spinner so it made the decision process easy to just order the head and ferrule.

Oh, one thing I'd recommend for sure if you're gonna have Golfworks build one is to find out their stock length and make sure to order the same length as your Bridgestone.. just because it's a length you're use to.

Can't wait to hear what you think man!

• Like 1

I have really liked the stock Scope LT shaft has been great for me with the TSW & M-Series+.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 7/3/2020 at 8:00 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Don't know your specs regarding a shaft that you play but below are my recommendations. I have used each in Maltby wedges as well as other brand wedges.

Obviously the more popular choices are TT Dynamic and KBS varieties. And those are great shaft plus have proven track records, but the ones below are my favorites as I get feel, spin and weight-balance I prefer in my wedges.  

Graphite choice (you can order from Golfworks): 1st choice: Paderson Graphite Wedge shaft (115 gram weight area) https://www.golfworks.com/paderson-kinetixx-ts-w-370-wedge-shafts/p/pk0106/  

2nd choice: Steel shaft / Nippon Modulus Steel (110-115 gram weight areas)   https://www.golfworks.com/nippon-ns-pro-modus-3-wedge-shafts/p/np0017v/

Over time you will learn/identify the type shafts you prefer for wedges. Lots of options. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have an update.. 

Nothing's changed.. this wedge is the $#!T!!!

😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So I have an update.. 

Nothing's changed.. this wedge is the $#!T!!!

Well that's one hell of an update. I completely agree I think I will likely pick up a 54 & 58 when the times come.

• Like 1

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I ordered the kit and assembled this myself. Just the basic kit with the TT Score shaft. I wanted this to match the weight of my iron shafts. It feels like a...shaft. Feels like the TT DG 115 shafts. Swing weight feels great. 

On to the good stuff. I bought this because I like the look of a rounded leading edge on a wedge, and this suits my eye perfect. I have used it in practice sessions and 2 rounds so far, and love the look and feel. It seems to perform just as good on long and short approach shots. I haven’t measured it, but the ball stopped as well or better than my ping glide 2.0, subject to strike (I am an amateur after all). There are no micro grooves (I don’t know how much they were really doing for me anyway), but I still stopped the ball on the green and sometimes spun it back when struck well. Distance control was excellent, again subject to strike. What I did notice though was my ability to strike it well. I hit a lot more decent shots, and I FELT like I was more confident with it. Time will tell, but I am super happy with it, and glad I got the basic kit. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to see a traditional wedge with a little rounding on the leading edge. Looks every well made, not cheap, just simple. 

E79358A1-8DF5-40E0-98F9-E56BCFDBDCB1.jpeg

49FE35CA-DFFA-4133-A64F-BA08514ACF48.jpeg

5D3A726E-F90A-4242-953A-DE33D80D109D.jpeg

• Like 7

So I took the late plunge on these because I had a set of Xcaliber Spin Wedge shafts on the way. After all these years I have never tinkered with them.
I ordered the 52 and the 56. First off they are flat out sexy. Such a classy looking wedge. Simple graphics and understated looks.
Its a surprisingly compact head as well.
First go round at a ramge with gnarly grass left me with a,,, oh wow. These are horrible.. feeling. Couldn't find the face. Struggled through the cabbage and just had no feel. Even a buddy didn't like them.
So today I just got home from sea and took a chance and brought these out. Right from the first green I hit a tight chip to save a bogey. Things were looking up. Starting on the back nine they got a workout. They were so instinctive and easy to play.
The sole has a definite rocker to them that I would set the wedge down right upon that rocker. It felt right. Gave me confidence that I wouldn't hit it fat. The wedge would glide through the turf. Taking a tiny divot but each time catching the ball very cleanly
With the spin wedge shafts the spin was a plenty. I was stopping the ball alot more quickly than my M+ gamers. They also go a good 5 yards further same loft. On full shots they really dance upon the green. They dont rip back but they certainly dance. They were certainly fun to play.
These shafts are 100g S flex and they are fairly stout. I might even want to try the R flex as I like a little more give to my wedge.
With that said these performed really well. I honestly can't complain about them feeling firm as I wound up with 5 birdies on the back. Finished at -2 as on the front side i caught up with the league and the final 4 holes took a month to finish.
For the first time out I was very surprised at how these played like I've been gaming them for ever. Huge fan of the sole and how it sits on the ground. For a wedge I thought I was gonna hate this one is a standout.
The last picture is why I made 5 birdies in 7 holes.
I may put a Spin Wedge in my PTM GW. To gain a little more gap as its only about 5-6 yards with the 52 TSW now... 20200702_224444.jpg20200722_200820.jpg20200722_200848.jpg20200722_171046.jpg

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...

Resurrection post. I got fitted and have the spec  for a Mizuno T20, but it’s hard to spend $200 on a club that should be replaced every couple of years. For those who’ve used Golfworks builders, how are they if I give the specific lie and weight?

• Like 1

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter