Maltby TSW Wedge (56/12)

Our Sponsors

3 minutes ago, Rchang said:

Resurrection post. I got fitted and have the spec  for a Mizuno T20, but it’s hard to spend $200 on a club that should be replaced every couple of years. For those who’ve used Golfworks builders, how are they if I give the specific lie and weight?

Lie adjustments are very easy weight I'm sure if you put it into the  comments on the order form they could do that for you.

• Like 2
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They look pretty sexy in the bag also 🙂

So I took the late plunge on these because I had a set of Xcaliber Spin Wedge shafts on the way. After all these years I have never tinkered with them. I ordered the 52 and the 56. First off they are

I ordered the kit and assembled this myself. Just the basic kit with the TT Score shaft. I wanted this to match the weight of my iron shafts. It feels like a...shaft. Feels like the TT DG 115 shafts.

Posted Images

Resurrection post. I got fitted and have the spec  for a Mizuno T20, but it’s hard to spend $200 on a club that should be replaced every couple of years. For those who’ve used Golfworks builders, how are they if I give the specific lie and weight?
Golfworks custom shop will build it any way you spec it out.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Rchang said:

Yes like the others have mentioned, loft, lie, length should be no problem. Don't quote me but I believe they'll do it for free on built clubs. Could be sets only though. Otherwise I think it's like a $5 fee. I just had a set of TS-1 irons built and they didn't charge anything to bend the lies and correct the lofts (lofts need to be corrected after lie is adjusted). I know that depending on the shaft choice and desired length, you could ask questions about swing weight and ask ahead if they can make weight enhancements and what it might cost. You can either ask on the web site or just call and talk to a tech directly. I don't see how any of that should be an issue being that it's GolfWorks who is building the clubs and they've got everything anyone could possibly need for custom club construction. 

Let us know if you have a particular Maltby wedge in mind. There are a few different models that appeal to different preferences. There are some guys who have played all of the wedge lines and could really give you some good input based on you preference. 

Personally, from Maltby I've only played the TSW Wedges.. but I'v e also played Callaway, Cobra, Bridgestone, Honma, and Titleist/Vokey over the years and the TSW's rank right up there with all of them in all of the categories. And coming in at around $60-$70 built with a premium shaft, it's a real runaway victory for Maltby IMO. 

Good luck!

:taylormade-small:  SIM Max 7°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:titelist-small:  917F2 3 Wood / UST ProForce V2 Black F4S++  
:callaway-small: Epic Flash Hybrid 18* / Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 70g 

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Superstroke Ultra Slim 1.0

FYI, I was able to get my 50* out on Saturday for the first time. Definitely more noticeable offset and rounded leading edge than the 56*. Negligible but noticeable. I use my 50* more for full shots and lower trajectory running shots off the green. That said, even on full shots, if played slightly open, the offset and leading edge just seem to disappear. The head weight mass seems to be focused more around the outer bottom toe so this really helps in getting the face closed up and squared with natural momentum rather than trying to force it. This is really helpful on shorter finesse shots too. The club just swings and turns so naturally through the shot and really helps with controlled distance and trajectory. 

I put TT DG Spinner shafts in both the 50* and 56*.The jury is still out on whether or not I want to keep the shaft in the 50*. I'll give it a good 5-6 rounds just to make sure I like that setup. I like the weight but the ball just seems to fly a little too high on full shots. It'll definitely stay in the 56*. 

0822200737b.jpg

• Like 1

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

7 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

FYI, I was able to get my 50* out on Saturday for the first time. Definitely more noticeable offset and rounded leading edge than the 56*. Negligible but noticeable. I use my 50* more for full shots and lower trajectory running shots off the green. That said, even on full shots, if played slightly open, the offset and leading edge just seem to disappear. The head weight mass seems to be focused more around the outer bottom toe so this really helps in getting the face closed up and squared with natural momentum rather than trying to force it. This is really helpful on shorter finesse shots too. The club just swings and turns so naturally through the shot and really helps with controlled distance and trajectory. 

I put TT DG Spinner shafts in both the 50* and 56*.The jury is still out on whether or not I want to keep the shaft in the 50*. I'll give it a good 5-6 rounds just to make sure I like that setup. I like the weight but the ball just seems to fly a little too high on full shots. It'll definitely stay in the 56*. 

0822200737b.jpg

Interesting why they decided to go with that much offset in a "tour inspired profile". I'm curious why they decided to do that with the wedge, I would have thought the offset would be next to nothing

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50° & 54°): post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedge (60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

11 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Interesting why they decided to go with that much offset in a "tour inspired profile". I'm curious why they decided to do that with the wedge, I would have thought the offset would be next to nothing

I have a suspicion that the 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges are really the 52/56/60 bent 2* strong.  If you look at the specs, the offset increases on each of the 50/54/58, and the bounce decreases 2*.

It's nothing more than a guess, I have no inside info.

• Like 4

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

4 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'll try to get a side by side. Really the 50* has the most noted offset of all of the clubs per the GW specs so I'm just pointing out the 1 obvious difference. The 56* shows hardly anything. 

My theory is that they likely had 3 separate forging dies rather than 6 and they probably just tweaked the lofts for the next club and stamped the correct #. From poking around on the ol interweb, I'm seeing that by strengthening the lofts, that will force additional offset and force the leading edge out a hair more. If you look at the spec from Maltby, for every 2 wedges, the higher lofted shows a lower offset. The 52*, 56*, and 60* all show the lowest offset. 

Also reading around though, I'm seeing that a lot of major OEM's like Ping and Callaway have added more offset and more rounded leading edge per player requests. I guess the offset does exactly what I had mentioned earlier in helping open the club up a little more. 

Don't let the comment about offset deter you though. I've always had an eye for minimal offset and the 50* doesn't put me off in the slightest. Once I saw how effective it is on the course and how pleasing to the eye it was at address, I've kind of forgotten about it. If offset really is a major factor, stick to one of the lower offset options and you'll be happy.  

image.png.ca77fb607eb8ce8be65e4908c47edc0e.png

I realize the PM is kind of a different animal in itself but check out the leading edge and offset that Phil prefers.. 

image.png.c37517dde17cb9aaacf4d085e2f5e4e5.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I have a suspicion that the 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges are really the 52/56/60 bent 2* strong.  If you look at the specs, the offset increases on each of the 50/54/58, and the bounce decreases 2*.

It's nothing more than a guess, I have no inside info.

HA!  f it weren't for my damn blasted wordiness.. You totally beat me to the punch on this one. I saw your comment pop up while I was typing and didn't realize that you said exactly what I was trying to get to 😛 

• Like 2

I have not fully embraced the TSW wedges. I actually brought back out my M+ wedges and are quite a bit more comfortable with them.
For me the M+ are more idiot proof.
I know I haven't given the TSW any practice dedication but my game seems to be a lot more versatile with the M+.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@azstu324 I currently have Vokey wedges. Was leaning towards the TSW. When I did my wedge fitting, liked the aggressive grind on the Mizuno 60 degree. Also never realized how much the shaft changed wedge feel. Glad to see Golfworks have the KBS Hi-rev.  Truespec gives out their prescription for the club and the fitter did recommend getting less bounce and doing the toe/heel relief 

• Like 1

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

On 8/24/2020 at 5:13 PM, Rchang said:

@azstu324 I currently have Vokey wedges. Was leaning towards the TSW. When I did my wedge fitting, liked the aggressive grind on the Mizuno 60 degree. Also never realized how much the shaft changed wedge feel. Glad to see Golfworks have the KBS Hi-rev.  Truespec gives out their prescription for the club and the fitter did recommend getting less bounce and doing the toe/heel relief 

Reading this again, I wasn't sure if you were asking for a recommendation or not. If you're familiar with Vokeys, I'd say that the grind on these is pretty similar to the M grind. Lots of heel and toe relief to allow for a variety of different shots and I'm finding that these wedges are as versatile as any I've ever played. As you can see, each club though will vary slightly in sole width and leading edge profile. 

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Reading this again, I wasn't sure if you were asking for a recommendation or not. If you're familiar with Vokeys, I'd say that the grind on these is pretty similar to the M grind. Lots of heel and toe relief to allow for a variety of different shots and I'm finding that these wedges are as versatile as any I've ever played. As you can see, each club though will vary slightly in sole width and leading edge profile. 

This answers the question. With my current setup, I have a K grind 58 degree. Was my own thought that more bounce is better. But finding as my bunker technique improved and when sand is even slightly firm, I bladed the heck out of it. Was looking for aggressive ground heel and toe. Hard to tell those from pictures. 

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter