TESTERS WANTED! ×

Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green “Hulk”

Eagleputt2008

Quite stout. Tried out a bunch of shafts awhile back including the new Ventus and an Evenflow. HZRDUS Green felt like a piece of pipe, had to go at it hard to make it feel like it was loading. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I'm playing the HZRDUS, Small Batch, PVD, 70g, stiff shaft. I love it!!! TM SIM Max 9* head, swing speed 110mph.

I guess it all depends on your transition regarding the "feel" of this shaft. 

I've hit a lot of stiff, heavy shafts prior to this and I can say it doesn't feel like a board or pipe to me at all. 

Also, I can swing hard with it all day long and feel pretty comfortable it's not going left.

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

17 hours ago, Eagleputt2008 said:

Anybody playing the Green HZRDUS “hulk” from project x? Wondering how stout it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The green hulk is the stiffest shaft that PX has produced. The stoutness will feel different to every person. I know some guys with borderline 100mph smooth swings that tried it and didn’t like the feel or results. Another guy I talk to at the range had it in a couple drivers and he’s in the 115+ range. He liked it in the epic but not the Pxg.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The green hulk is the stiffest shaft that PX has produced. The stoutness will feel different to every person. I know some guys with borderline 100mph smooth swings that tried it and didn’t like the feel or results. Another guy I talk to at the range had it in a couple drivers and he’s in the 115+ range. He liked it in the epic but not the Pxg.

Sounds good! My thought is a stout shaft like this might be a good setup for a heavier head and fast tempo. The combo might help load it. Just looking for stability when I want to go after it

31 minutes ago, Eagleputt2008 said:

Sounds good! My thought is a stout shaft like this might be a good setup for a heavier head and fast tempo. The combo might help load it. Just looking for stability when I want to go after it

From my experience with PX shafts fast and aggressive swings like the hzrdus black and the hulk. The smoke line softened up the shafts a bit over the original hzrdus line. PX used some be materials in the green. I don’t know if it affects the stiffness. I don’t recall seeing an EI profile on the green or the hulk version of green but if it’s less beefy one the middle than black the stoutness would go down.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Heavy heads are offset well by a counterbalanced shaft, Ping does this all the time.

If you have a fast tempo then maybe a stout shaft is the way to go!

One thing to pay attention to is torque. Torque can make a stiff profile feel smooth, such as the Fujikura Ventus line. That’s why I recommend testing a bunch, or go for a proper fitting if you can. 

7 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Heavy heads are offset well by a counterbalanced shaft, Ping does this all the time.

If you have a fast tempo then maybe a stout shaft is the way to go!

One thing to pay attention to is torque. Torque can make a stiff profile feel smooth, such as the Fujikura Ventus line. That’s why I recommend testing a bunch, or go for a proper fitting if you can. 

It’s not necessarily torque that makes a shaft feel smooth. The EI profile has a role in it too. 

The torque in the original Hzrdus black is the same as the ventus black and they feel completely different. 

46 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s not necessarily torque that makes a shaft feel smooth. The EI profile has a role in it too. 

The torque in the original Hzrdus black is the same as the ventus black and they feel completely different. 

Agreed, I only meant it’s often overlooked since most people only look at flex and maybe profile.

53 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Agreed, I only meant it’s often overlooked since most people only look at flex and maybe profile.

I don’t think it’s overlooked but many have the wrong perception of what it’s for. Years ago it was definitely more about the twisting at impact which it still influences but having hear directly from different shaft brands that it’s more about feel these days the twisting aspect isn’t what goes into the design as much.

How many still do a waggle test or try to bend a shaft to see how “stiff” it is? Those both mean nothing when it comes to how stiff a shaft is.

I've used it in a SIM 6* Its a nice shaft. But even with my swing speed it feels a bit out of my abilities.

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

On 5/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

In the TX flex absolutely as it has a completely different bend profile. According to Russ over at golfshaftreviews, the standard flexes have a bend profile that is just slightly stiffer (mainly in the handle) than the HZRDUS Smoke black shaft.  The most apparent difference is that the HexTow material used in the Smoke Green makes it slightly lighter while being slightly stiffer.

1065306995_ScreenShot2020-05-15at15_37_00.png.84011c2766833c61cd6a31b4db2edd30.png

My bag is a revolving door!

• 3 months later...

So prior to MGS you could have said any shaft name and I would have looked at you like you were speaking spanglish. What I can offer to this thread is IMO feel.

I have a high swing speed, medium tempo but one thing I do is load the shaft with a lot of torque. To me this shaft is butter strictly in the fact that I dont feel like the head is lagging behind my hands if that makes sense and now that I am paying attention more to these things I feel like I have complete control over the club head. 

I currently swing this in my 3W and the small sample size (small sample isn't that small I a lot of swings with my driver and 3W) the numbers peak for themselves. I miss left off the tee or hit the fairway...thats it. I WILL get it for my driver but I want to actually see some of the numbers from a fitting and maybe see what a similar shaft feels like as well.

Obviously one shaft is not a fit all and thats why there are so many, and I am by no means a connoisseur, all I know is this shaft fits me and if you have simliar swing characteristics it might for you as well.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Also be aware that there are 2 “green” shafts. And I’ve searched for some certainty but have gotten mostly speculation.

there is the smoke green, and then the “small batch” smoke green, which has the TX designation.

people want to know if the “regular” smoke green shaft has the same “ingredients” as the small batch. But the “$350” price tag vs. the stock option would tend to make people think that obviously not right? But then the question is why make the two shafts identical? Except for the “small batch” label? Or to make weekend hacks say that they have “the hulk” shaft to their unknowing buddies...

I have a SIM with the stock smoke green, and even the cashier at Roger Dunn made a comment about it being the wrong shaft, so it’s not common knowledge yet.

I think it’s like the other shaft controversy, of the “real shaft” vs the “made for” shaft.

i think they (Shaft companies) just like attention they get and how it creates free advertisement.

I like it because the SeaHawks use the lime green in their uniforms haha.. scientific analysis specific for my swing baby!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

The smoke green vs small batch are the same shaft, just production location is different.  The 6.5TX is different from the 6.5 and 6.0, as seen in the EI profile shared above.  The shafts in the SIM and Speedzone are "real," but are not PVD and not 6.5TX.  Confirmed by TM reps on GolfWRX.

PXG 0811 X/70S Ahina
Cobra F9 Tour/80S Diamana B
Mizuno MP18 FliHi (3) MMC (4-P)/Tensei White X
Maltby M Tour 50&58/KBS 610 125S+
Evnroll ER2.2
Snell MTBX

2 hours ago, csamsh said:

The smoke green vs small batch are the same shaft, just production location is different.  The 6.5TX is different from the 6.5 and 6.0, as seen in the EI profile shared above.  The shafts in the SIM and Speedzone are "real," but are not PVD and not 6.5TX.  Confirmed by TM reps on GolfWRX.

confusing...

Same shaft, but different? " Real, but not PVD and not TX?  Wouldn't all that add up to being "different shafts".  I guess this is why I couldn't get a straight answer last time I looked. 

But, my SIM on the "fake" Hulk was in the fairway all day today, so real or fake, its a very nice shaft for me. My swing probably isn't fast enough for the TX versions anyways...

In 6.0 small batch vs regular smoke green are the same.

In tx 6.5 small batch,  it is different than smoke green 6.5

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

19 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

confusing...

Same shaft, but different? " Real, but not PVD and not TX?  Wouldn't all that add up to being "different shafts".  I guess this is why I couldn't get a straight answer last time I looked. 

But, my SIM on the "fake" Hulk was in the fairway all day today, so real or fake, its a very nice shaft for me. My swing probably isn't fast enough for the TX versions anyways...

2 shafts-
6.0, 6.5, small batch and not small batch are the same

6.5TX is its own shaft.

PVD finish and TX flex are not stock shaft options for the SIM.

Edited by csamsh

PXG 0811 X/70S Ahina
Cobra F9 Tour/80S Diamana B
Mizuno MP18 FliHi (3) MMC (4-P)/Tensei White X
Maltby M Tour 50&58/KBS 610 125S+
Evnroll ER2.2
Snell MTBX

13 minutes ago, csamsh said:

2 shafts-
6.0, 6.5, small batch and not small batch are the same

6.5TX is its own shaft.

PVD finish and TX flex are not stock shaft options for the SIM.

hmmm, ok.

thanks for clarification. appreciated!

I've got the 6.5 TX in my driver and 3w, (60g in driver and 80g in 3 wood).  It's a beast, but I can't think of a more stable shaft I've ever hit.  I've had some that were longer, but didn't have the consistency for me.  I swing in the mid teens and have a quick transition.  My driver head weight is right at 204g.  

But everyone already mentioned it, the PVD vs non-PVD is the same shaft in every flex, with the exception of the 6.5 TX which is a completely different animal.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 3 weeks later...

The 80 gram version you have in your 3 wood, is that the smoke yellow? I can’t see that the smoke green 6.5tx comes in an 80 gram option?! I’m currently gaming the 70 6.5tx PVD Smoke Green (‘hulk’ 😂) in my TM Sim driver and it’s best combo iv come across in years. Have bought the exact same shaft to trim for my 3 wood. Hoping for similar results 🤞🏼

3 hours ago, Bombs63 said:

The 80 gram version you have in your 3 wood, is that the smoke yellow? I can’t see that the smoke green 6.5tx comes in an 80 gram option?! I’m currently gaming the 70 6.5tx PVD Smoke Green (‘hulk’ 😂) in my TM Sim driver and it’s best combo iv come across in years. Have bought the exact same shaft to trim for my 3 wood. Hoping for similar results 🤞🏼

There are "Tour Only" ones floating around in the 80TX and 90TX variant!

5 minutes ago, tgoodspe said:

There are "Tour Only" ones floating around in the 80TX and 90TX variant!

90tx is what i was fitted for. i’ve been scouring ebay for one but no such luck 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

19 hours ago, Bombs63 said:

No it is the PVD Green in 6.5 TX.  You can find them on eBay (see above) but my club builder has the ability to get these.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 9 months later...

I was fitted for the 6.5 TX. I went with the small batch PVD Finish and It just looks awesome. The PVD Finish cost extra $$$ btw. They also tipped if for a little more stiffness. That's about all I know about the specs. Oh yeah and I have a tsi3 head set at 7 degrees. As for feel and performance. I've always had a fast tempo. My avarage club head speed is around 128. So I can really feel the stability in the shafts compared to my old shafts. This was my first time getting fitted so I really left the decision making up to the fitter. The end result had me carrying the ball 30 yards further then the stock setup I had before. And more Importantly mush less fade. I never thought I'd spend over $1000 on a driver but it was totally worth the money.

• 6 months later...

very tempted to nab a 70g 6.5 from CPO. Hit a fitters 6.5 60g and really liked how things were either straight or left. Wanting 70g since I seem to do better with heavier driver shafts. Any thoughts?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

24 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

very tempted to nab a 70g 6.5 from CPO. Hit a fitters 6.5 60g and really liked how things were either straight or left. Wanting 70g since I seem to do better with heavier driver shafts. Any thoughts?

I took a leap on it in my 3 wood and realistically now with some of my changes it’s not a “for” but it hit it really well and it’s in the bag for a long time. Worth taking a shot and see how it feels IMO

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

57 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

The hulk is the 6.5tx

that shaft is completely different than the 6.5 non tx.

But typically you won’t see much difference between a 60 and 70g shaft in same flex in same shaft