TESTERS WANTED! ×

3rd broken shaft

I’ve had my Ping G30SF For about 3 years, each year the the shaft has snapped or started to split (see picture) right above the adapters (after I noticed it I picked at it a bit so some paint/shaft came off.) I’ve never broken a shaft in any other driver before this one (or any club for that matter)

anyone else have issues like this? Anyone know why? 

2856CBEF-25C4-4EA5-97F6-29B625217F1C.jpeg

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Steep impact angle?
Any issues with other club shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

9 hours ago, dthrog00 said:

Has it been the same shaft type that has broken each year?

Dave

They’ve all been the stock ping shafts that come with the club (has my local shop get me replacements) 

9 hours ago, BigtazzGolf said:

Steep impact angle?
Any issues with other club shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Never had any issue with any other club or shaft in 20+ years 

8 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Maybe they are stored wrong during your off season?

keep them in a closet inside the finished basement with the bag cover and then a garbage bag over that. 

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Never had that happen and never seen it from anyone I know who has had pings. 

Do you hit a lot of shots on the heel?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Never had that happen and never seen it from anyone I know who has had pings. 

Do you hit a lot of shots on the heel?

Negative, it’s only this head. I have G30 3 wood and two hybrids and use my hybrids a lot too never had any issues with them 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

1 hour ago, Apes44 said:

Negative, it’s only this head. I have G30 3 wood and two hybrids and use my hybrids a lot too never had any issues with them 

Is that the tour 65 shaft? What flex is it?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Is that the tour 65 shaft? What flex is it?

The TFC 419 X stiff 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Do you keep a head cover on your driver between shots?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

10 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Do you keep a head cover on your driver between shots?

I do 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

1 hour ago, Apes44 said:

The TFC 419 X stiff 

Don’t know what the problem is. That shaft is a high quality shaft and I’ve never seen any issues with it. It has to be some flaw in the head or the way the shaft is being installed. 

Believe it or not, I've seen a spate of these failures over the past few years - mostly with higher swing speed players. There's nothing inherently wrong with the shaft - it's the head combined with the shaft.

The Ping G30 SF (not the normal version) has a shifted CoG to give it a draw bias. This gives it a bigger tendency to try to close the face through impact giving the tip section enormous stress. Lower speeds tend to be ok, but if you are a harder hitter of the ball the closure rate of the head opposing the shaft and it's desire to resist the twisting effect can lead to a failure over a period of time.

It should be said that it not just Ping - plenty of other driver heads with a draw bias (ie with heel weighting)  and a larger MOI are a recipe for failure if used to the limit of the design of the shaft - which is a problem for lighter higher torque shafts like the TFC - I believe the torque figure is something like 4.2 for an X-flex which means not a strong tip section in terms of fibre ply arrangement. Long story short, flimsy shafts and big twisting action is not a long lasting marriage.

Not such a problem for firmer tip section shafts (which tend to get used by stronger players - who tend not to need draw bias drivers). 

28 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Believe it or not, I've seen a spate of these failures over the past few years - mostly with higher swing speed players. There's nothing inherently wrong with the shaft - it's the head combined with the shaft.

The Ping G30 SF (not the normal version) has a shifted CoG to give it a draw bias. This gives it a bigger tendency to try to close the face through impact giving the tip section enormous stress. Lower speeds tend to be ok, but if you are a harder hitter of the ball the closure rate of the head opposing the shaft and it's desire to resist the twisting effect can lead to a failure over a period of time.

It should be said that it not just Ping - plenty of other driver heads with a draw bias (ie with heel weighting)  and a larger MOI are a recipe for failure if used to the limit of the design of the shaft - which is a problem for lighter higher torque shafts like the TFC - I believe the torque figure is something like 4.2 for an X-flex which means not a strong tip section in terms of fibre ply arrangement. Long story short, flimsy shafts and big twisting action is not a long lasting marriage.

Not such a problem for firmer tip section shafts (which tend to get used by stronger players - who tend not to need draw bias drivers). 

This makes sense, I have a very high tempo and 105+ swing speed.  

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 1 year later...

The last sets of posts make sense. When you reshaft a club, twisting graphite to remove will ruin the old shaft. Torsion breaks the fiber and chemical bonds. Lighter shafts increase swing speed and stress the limit of the material. Good lesson for all to remember. 

@prilltx

Golf is challenging, R U doing the work...or hoping 4 different outcomes?

Titleist C16 irons

Vokey 55°, 60° wedges

Cleveland 50°, 46° wedges

Ping Sigma2 41 inch putter

Titleist D2 driver, 904 / 908 3 and 5 wood 

• 1 month later...

Had that happen with 2 different tour edge 3 woods. Yes I have a steep angle of attack but my Mizuno jpx ez 3 hybrid has lasted since 14 and my AeroBurner has lasted me for a year and who knows what it went through before me.  The two tour edge had the rouge shaft and lasted 2 rounds. 

Jaskanski makes sense.  Mechanics vs material strengths are huge.  So is installation.  Back in the day before removable shafts and everything was made for steel, graphite shafts could be installed but to prevent what you described happening we had to " cone the hosel" or prep the head for the shaft.  That meant add a chamfer to the inside hosel edge to soften it where it meets the shaft where a stress would occur and cause fiber tears and breaks.  Might not be as big a factor with hosel adapters now but worth a look.  That tip for the Ping driver might have a hard edge for that shaft.  Same tip performs different with a different shaft so coning for this shaft might prevent what you are seeing and allow you to use it.

GPS111

23 minutes ago, vagabon68 said:

Had that happen with 2 different tour edge 3 woods. Yes I have a steep angle of attack but my Mizuno jpx ez 3 hybrid has lasted since 14 and my AeroBurner has lasted me for a year and who knows what it went through before me.  The two tour edge had the rouge shaft and lasted 2 rounds. 

I also had the same thing happen with a Tour edge 3 wood. Only 3 rounds on it and a range day. 

WITB... never ending tinkerer so ya there's that.

I broke the shaft of a G25 Driver, in S flex. Git it online for $100 & figured it was a pretty good deal. Club was in great shape.

Two years in, it snapped on the first tee box. Was not too upset because I took the game up at 57, and after learning a ton more about the game, equipment etc. I realized I really should be using a 

Regular Flex Shaft, as my Swing Speed is in the mid 90's, and I'm not getting any younger. Actually played my first year with a torn left MCL which caused me to open my left foot a lot leading to hitting fades on every drive. After I had a scope done, I could then hit the ball straight & began taking some lessons. Still working on shallowing the swing and carry distance. I try to stretch each morning, but at 61 don't know how effective that will be. During covid, I did lose 14 pounds and I think I have put a lot more rotation and follow thru I'm my swing. But, still working on distance.

Took up the game late in life.

Holy cow, I had this happen this spring to my G400 with the Evenflow Black 60 stiff shaft. The shaft was in my G400 for almost 3 years. I got a replacement and after 3 rounds the same issue occurred. That shaft has been discontinued, but Inwas able to get a 3rd one and that one is holding up, so far. Too weird that this topic popped up now though.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

• 2 weeks later...

Along the lines of broken shafts, I had an evenflow blue shaft snap at the flex point at the beginning of the season on a normal swing. Under warranty, replaced, sold the driver, upgraded to the Mavrik, all good.

I noticed yesterday that the ferrule on my new driver shaft has crept up a little and now on ~50% I get a “click” on the follow through on the shaft. Is this something I should be worried about/try to fix myself? I am assuming after searching a little that it was an epoxy issue and I can’t move the ferrule with my hand or with a bit of pressure from pliers. I don’t want to really get after it unless I know I’m not going to damage the shaft… other info, it’s an aldila rogue white stiff shaft (standard) and I likely could have the shaft fixed or replaced by Callaway. Thanks in advance for any feedback!