TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sunscreen recommendations

I am a fair skinned blue eyed red head so I am prone to sunburns if I am not careful.  Of course none of us really knew better in our youth so consequently I have had a few spots removed - nothing serious yet - and thus I am now trying to pay much more attention.  I use Coppertone Sport 50 prior to leaving home for the round because we have it at home.  The problems with the 50 is that it leaves you looking very white as it does not all absorb in (I'm already pretty white so I look ghost-like) and unless you can apply in a mirror you cannot see how well you have put it on and rubbed it in to the best degree possible.  Also then you have sunscreen on your hands and just rubbing on a towel doesn't really get it off.  I can drop down to a lower SPF but then should probably re-apply - at least according to the directions.

Anyway what Sunscreens are you all using - and hopefully liking.

My skin thanks you

Jim

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

I prefer this one. 

https://www.golfersskin.eu

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Might be an option but costs almost as much for shipping as it does for the product - that puts it at $20+ for what is a $6 to $7 option here (granted I am not super happy with it though).  Guess I was hoping for a locally available option - we'll see what pops up.  Good advice for other UK'ers though.

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

I lather on a generic brand at home before I leave. On the course when I reapply I use nutragena or aveno as I find them less oily. I only use my glove hand to rub it in on my face. 

Our dermologist highly recommends Neutragena which makes a transparent sun block so you don't get the white outs. Also check for zinc in he formula - it's the most effective sunblock.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If you are fair skinned and prone to burning, don't shy away from the white-out.  I lived in Ohio for 25 years and have always had a dark farmer's tan from playing golf.  Now, I live in Florida and been battling skin cancer for the last couple of years (I'm in my mid 50's) and I utilize Neutragena 70 and apply it thick.  I've grown very fond of the white-out, sleeves, wide brim hats, and golf pants.  It isn't comfortable to wear in the Florida heat, but it's better than the alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

I over research too many things in life (not limited to golf equipment). For sunscreen, the chemical based sunscreen ingredients are a bit sketchy on potential long-term effects, so I try to only buy mineral-based sunscreens. And then even within the mineral sunscreen category, there is talk about non-nano zinc/titanium dioxide being the safest.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I over research too many things in life (not limited to golf equipment). For sunscreen, the chemical based sunscreen ingredients are a bit sketchy on potential long-term effects,

+1. I read an article as well on how quickly the primary ingredients in common sunscreens are absorbed into the bloodstream with unknown effects.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few moles, etc., cut off and tested myself.  I'm not particularly fair, but I try to avoid the sun as much as possible while golfing.

I haven't ever noticed a white tint to any sport sunscreens I've used.  I like the CVS brand sport 50.  Amazon's sport sunscreen as good as well.  I always use spray since it's much more convenient to reapply.  I'm more worried about the sun than chemicals so I can't speak to that.  I buy whatever is large and cheap as I usually find my buddies borrowing my sunscreen pretty regularly as they tend to be less prepared.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

I really don’t enjoy the stuff but I’m definitely in the high risk sun exposure category.

Jack Black Oil-Free Sun Guard is the most pleasant product I’ve come across. It’s broad-spectrum SPF45, rubs in easily and doesn’t smell terrible, sting the eyes or leave an oily residue.

All those qualities mean I’m more likely to apply and reapply. It’s not the cheapest option on the market but a little bit seems to go a long way.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I use Surface brand. It's broad-spectrum and best of all, doesn't feel sticky or wet on my skin. It is reef-safe which is mandatory in Hawaii, and available on Amazon. I like to use the "stick" on my face so I don't have to touch it. I'm part Hawaiian so thankfully I don't burn in a 4-5 hour round, I just wear it for protection since the sun here is so brutal.

edit: I use this one FWIW

DTLN306-Straight_1800x1800.png?v=1586383034

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I spray down with “Pam”! I’m a nice golden color by the end of the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

9 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I spray down with “Pam”! I’m a nice golden color by the end of the round.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

A few pairs of nice golf pants will go a long way towards keeping you protected and cool. As far as yours arms, face, and neck... if the stuff you have is working besides the white out effect, you might just want to keep on with that.

Otherwise it sounds like there’s some good options to try out mentioned here.

I use spray on stuff that is sport/water rated and usually still re apply during the round if I’m out in the middle of the day.

Don’t forget your hat and sunglasses to protect your eyes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

What, no butter?

Hahahaha! I forgot about that! PERFECT!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's what I use SPF 100. I find that when I choose SPF 80 or 100, I don't have to reapply before the end of the round. If I use a lower SPF I need to reapply, which I don't like having to do so then I just burn. I spent most summer days at the beach growing up before they told us about skin cancer. Now I must be diligent about sun protection.

I have a several cooling sun shirts that are 30-50 SPF that I wear under my golf shirt. Those are better than sunscreen!

And last of all, I have a 62 inch umbrella from www.coolibar.com with a SPF of 50 that's matte silver to reflect the rays. It's permanent home is in my bag. Others playing with me come over to get cool under it.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Funnily enough Consumer Reports put out the results of their sunscreen review that I got this week. Their top performing spray was actually Trader Joes brand, followed by Neutrogena Sun defense, then Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport. As for me, I'm finishing up a can of Up & UP (Target house brand) that's been well rated over the years.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Funnily enough Consumer Reports put out the results of their sunscreen review that I got this week. Their top performing spray was actually Trader Joes brand, followed by Neutrogena Sun defense, then Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport. As for me, I'm finishing up a can of Up & UP (Target house brand) that's been well rated over the years.

Admittedly, I'm horrible about remembering to put on sunscreen. A couple years back, my wife started giving me the sniff test when I got home (she's brave...) to see if I was wearing sunscreen. But I typically use the Up & Up spray-on, SPF 30 or 50. I'm sure the coverage isn't as good as a thick, mineral-based lotion, but I like that I can just close my eyes and spray my whole face.

I grew up in Houston and one thing I remember being so excited about was discovering a Bullfrog sunscreen+bug spray combo. Given that mosquitoes are the National Bird of Texas and there's just a little bit of sun in the Bayou City, this was a godsend.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

On 6/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, greggarner said:

Admittedly, I'm horrible about remembering to put on sunscreen. A couple years back, my wife started giving me the sniff test when I got home (she's brave...) to see if I was wearing sunscreen. But I typically use the Up & Up spray-on, SPF 30 or 50. I'm sure the coverage isn't as good as a thick, mineral-based lotion, but I like that I can just close my eyes and spray my whole face.

I grew up in Houston and one thing I remember being so excited about was discovering a Bullfrog sunscreen+bug spray combo. Given that mosquitoes are the National Bird of Texas and there's just a little bit of sun in the Bayou City, this was a godsend.

Update: tried solar sleeves for the first time today. I like the compression aspect and that my arms weren't sweaty, but I had on black sleeves and it was pretty warm. But they definitely blocked the sun! And apparently I forgot to put sunscreen on my hands... Oops.

IMG_20200612_192423_01.jpg

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer 100+ lotion or spray, whichever the pharm has when I need to restock.  Prefer the spray because it keeps my hands dry, but both work great.  Also wear a bucket hat to keep my follicly challenged head, ears, and neck from being exposed.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 1 month later...

I use the Walmart brand, Equate, I think it is, spray suncreen.  The 50 spf sport. Usually buy them in the big can, or the 2 pack of smaller cans, pretty cheap compared to the name brand stuff.  It works well and is easy to apply.  I spray everywhere I can and spray extra on the back of my right hand (not my golf glove wearing hand) to put in on my ears, forehead, etc.

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

NO-AD sport works great for me.  I find it modestly less greasy than some other brands, they almost make sunscreen sticks (looks like deodorant) if you don't want to get your hands greasy mid-round, although its not as easy to apply and you go through it faster. 

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

On 6/12/2020 at 7:28 PM, greggarner said:

Update: tried solar sleeves for the first time today. I like the compression aspect and that my arms weren't sweaty, but I had on black sleeves and it was pretty warm. But they definitely blocked the sun! And apparently I forgot to put sunscreen on my hands... Oops.

IMG_20200612_192423_01.jpg

I like the concept of solar sleeves but don't like the fit. I have tried the one size fits all and the sized ones. The sized ones work better given my arm proportions but still feel that they are too tight in the bicep/upper arm area, but too loose in the wrist/lower forearm area. I guess I have weird proportions, pretty big upper arms with tiny wrists.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 1 year later...