TESTERS WANTED! ×

Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

The Max Milled looks really cool, I like that it's full faces groves and the weight ports at the back. But the lack of relief in the toe and heel makes me hesitant because I like to manipulate the face open and closed for different shots. I am a little surprised they went with a full face design on a wedge that doesn't really have relief, I would have thought that'd be more helpful when you really open up the face and potentially access high and left on the face.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

On 1/6/2022 at 2:06 PM, azstu324 said:

I was spinning the ball like I've never done before.

Rust = Friction => +Spin 🙂  Those Max Milled look really nice.  Not liking the oxidation photos of the DRM and wonder if the Max Milled have the same post machining finish/protection.  Some guys love that "patina look"... not me.

I must admit that the more I read this thread, the more I'm inclined to make a set of Maltby's my first foray into a DIY iron build.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

22 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

The Max Milled looks really cool, I like that it's full faces groves and the weight ports at the back. But the lack of relief in the toe and heel makes me hesitant because I like to manipulate the face open and closed for different shots. I am a little surprised they went with a full face design on a wedge that doesn't really have relief, I would have thought that'd be more helpful when you really open up the face and potentially access high and left on the face.

These are my exact concerns. but I'm also curious to put Maltby's design expertise to the test.  I've been playing a full-faced high-toe PM grind that I've really fallen in love with. This is my "around the green" club. I'm kind of actually afraid to use it for full shots because all of the different angles and shapes.. but up close, this thing is a precision surgical tool. You can clearly see how PM himself had hand in designing this wedge. As odd as the PM grind might look, everything has a function and purpose that aids in using the wedge in 100 different ways. 

I still don't fully understand how the sole camber and design are going to work with the full-faced grooves but I'm definitely open-minded and trust that Britt and the crew put all of their experience and expertise into this design. 

I'll be posting my thoughts after putting it into play. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Rust = Friction => +Spin 🙂  Those Max Milled look really nice.  Not liking the oxidation photos of the DRM and wonder if the Max Milled have the same post machining finish/protection.  Some guys love that "patina look"... not me.

I must admit that the more I read this thread, the more I'm inclined to make a set of Maltby's my first foray into a DIY iron build.  

So the DRM specifically is meant to oxidize. It's a "raw" finish that Maltby hasn't really done on any other clubs that I know of. I bought the club just out of curiosity and I personally really like the look. The oxidation isn't really rust so much as dark spots.

If Raw isn't your jam, the regular TSW and from the looks of things, the MAX have more of a brushed chrome finish that still look really nice. They aren't glaringly reflective like mirror chrome or nickel can be. I still have my TSW 50° with the standard finish and there's not a lick of discoloration or oxidation.  

once I fell down the club building rabbit hole, my whole world of golf equipment opened way up. It's been a really fun and rewarding hobby as I've been able to source shafts, heads, grips, and then build stuff for myself and friends. I've still got a good bit to learn as well as equipment that I hope to acquire but it's definitely a build as you learn process.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 9 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 8:32 AM, azstu324 said:

These are my exact concerns. but I'm also curious to put Maltby's design expertise to the test.  I've been playing a full-faced high-toe PM grind that I've really fallen in love with. This is my "around the green" club. I'm kind of actually afraid to use it for full shots because all of the different angles and shapes.. but up close, this thing is a precision surgical tool. You can clearly see how PM himself had hand in designing this wedge. As odd as the PM grind might look, everything has a function and purpose that aids in using the wedge in 100 different ways. 

I still don't fully understand how the sole camber and design are going to work with the full-faced grooves but I'm definitely open-minded and trust that Britt and the crew put all of their experience and expertise into this design. 

I'll be posting my thoughts after putting it into play. 

Any thoughts on the Milled Max?  I just read through this whole (fascinating) thread (thanks for the link, btw) - I really love the look of the Milled Max full face, and was toying with the idea of a 50/54/58 set of either the Max's or the DRM's or a combo.  Curious what you ended up thinking of the MM.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Any thoughts on the Milled Max?  I just read through this whole (fascinating) thread (thanks for the link, btw) - I really love the look of the Milled Max full face, and was toying with the idea of a 50/54/58 set of either the Max's or the DRM's or a combo.  Curious what you ended up thinking of the MM.

So the Max milled ended up not working for me. The sole grind was just too flat and made the club kind of a 1 trick pony for me. I play a 50° and 56° in the TSW. The TSW's grind is so user-friendly and versatile for some many different types of shots and I just love the classic shape and simple look. It's probably one of the best shaped wedges I've seen. 

Just FYI, the DRM finish oxidizes quite a bit after a few months. It's not a heavy rust like some others but definitely a discoloration. I dig it.

0124231719.jpg.fa5fbb872fe298ed813a53ee8cd0cb56.jpg

Apparently, there are some murmurings from Maltby of a TSW with full face grooves in the near future. That, I'd fully support! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

16 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So the Max milled ended up not working for me. The sole grind was just too flat and made the club kind of a 1 trick pony for me. I play a 50° and 56° in the TSW. The TSW's grind is so user-friendly and versatile for some many different types of shots and I just love the classic shape and simple look. It's probably one of the best shaped wedges I've seen. 

Just FYI, the DRM finish oxidizes quite a bit after a few months. It's not a heavy rust like some others but definitely a discoloration. I dig it.

0124231719.jpg.fa5fbb872fe298ed813a53ee8cd0cb56.jpg

Apparently, there are some murmurings from Maltby of a TSW with full face grooves in the near future. That, I'd fully support! 

Damn - I really like how that's aging.  It's not gratuitous, but it's...yeah, I like it.  

Okay, so thus far, if I'm reading correctly, there's a new (WAY PRETTIER) TS-1m(?) coming, along with new TS3/4(?), and now full-face TSWs?  

Have there been any hints at all as to when these might be dropping?  I'm not in any kind of mad rush, but...I'd be all-in on a set of something like those (barring, of course, the Kirkland's aren't the steal of the century 😉 )

Seems like you have an in at Maltby/Golfworks.  Thanks to this thread, I've got two of my buddies suddenly intrigued at the idea of me doing a little club-build for them, just for fun, to see how they like it (both playing 10+ year-old irons).  As if I need MORE golf-related things to be looking at 😉

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Damn - I really like how that's aging.  It's not gratuitous, but it's...yeah, I like it.  

Okay, so thus far, if I'm reading correctly, there's a new (WAY PRETTIER) TS-1m(?) coming, along with new TS3/4(?), and now full-face TSWs?  

Have there been any hints at all as to when these might be dropping?  I'm not in any kind of mad rush, but...I'd be all-in on a set of something like those (barring, of course, the Kirkland's aren't the steal of the century 😉 )

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Seems like you have an in at Maltby/Golfworks

Thanks to this thread, I've got two of my buddies suddenly intrigued at the idea of me doing a little club-build for them, just for fun, to see how they like it (both playing 10+ year-old irons).  As if I need MORE golf-related things to be looking at 😉

From what I've been able to gather, TS3 should be released for sale any day now. The TS1 IM maybe shortly after in a month or 2 to come, and the TS4 a month or so after that. 

I was really REALLY looking forward to the TS 4 release just for the sake of something new and different looking from my TS1.. but damn son.. those new TS1 IM's just look so fine! From what Britt has posted on the Maltby forum, the new TS1 IM should have a similar top line, a fraction wider sole, and a little less offset. Additionally, the construction is a little different and might prove to be a hair more forgiving. They also opted for a different finish which I'm thinking looks like maybe a soft white chrome with some pearlessent tones. 

As for the release of a TSW with full face grooves, that might just be talk right now. I wouldn't hold out for that because it might just be talk at the moment. I haven't seen anything about actual production as of yet.

As for having an "in at Golfworks", I just check into the club building forum from time to time. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So, I've been lurking over at Golfworks, and this just popped up today.  Sadly, there's no info on the 1M/3/4 other than this picture, but I went over to the forum and saw some info there.  Love that Britt's so involved.  The TS3 is REALLY beautiful, and apparently has a "friendlier" top line in comparison to the 1M/4.  I'm curious what the main differences are between the TS1 and the 1M, as well as the 2 and 3 - where everything all shakes out.  

Either way, feels like none of them are going to be bad choices.  Seriously beautiful clubs.

image.png

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

So, I've been lurking over at Golfworks, and this just popped up today.  Sadly, there's no info on the 1M/3/4 other than this picture, but I went over to the forum and saw some info there.  Love that Britt's so involved.  The TS3 is REALLY beautiful, and apparently has a "friendlier" top line in comparison to the 1M/4.  I'm curious what the main differences are between the TS1 and the 1M, as well as the 2 and 3 - where everything all shakes out.  

Either way, feels like none of them are going to be bad choices.  Seriously beautiful clubs.

image.png

Yeah I'm really excited to see how the TS4 and TS1-IM look..the TS3 look good too but maybe not quite my flavor. One disclaimer about Maltby clubs and their catalog, is that they always look 10 times better in person than the pics and these look great just from the basic photos so that's VERY promising. 

All of these look like they could easily be interchangeable as combo sets and that's pretty baller if you ask me. I've never played a combo set and I'd seriously consider the TS4 and IM being that they could be bent to flow together and look like they could be siblings. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 1/30/2023 at 9:46 AM, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Sadly, there's no info on the 1M/3/4 other than this picture, but I went over to the forum and saw some info there.  Love that Britt's so involved.  The TS3 is REALLY beautiful, and apparently has a "friendlier" top line in comparison to the 1M/4.  I'm curious what the main differences are between the TS1 and the 1M

I posted a screen shot of the full TS1-IM in this thread or the other Maltby thread around 2november,  when golfworks accidentally published the page for a day.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:22 AM, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Seems like you have an in at Maltby/Golfworks.  

The inside info is probably coming from www.ralphmaltby.com Forum.       The chief designer Britt responds with much detail as did Mr Maltby before he retired.

I had such a great consulting from the man himself before i bought my first set of heads from them.   ( shame that old forum content is now lost). Consulting with the designer/owner is priceless,  AFAIK theres only one other notable guy on the planet that makes himself accessible to the public and thats Wishon.

1 minute ago, theblake7 said:

The inside info is probably coming from www.ralphmaltby.com Forum.       The chief designer Britt responds with much detail as did Mr Maltby before he retired.

I had such a great consulting from the man himself before i bought my first set of heads from them.   ( shame that old forum content is now lost). Consulting with the designer/owner is priceless,  AFAIK theres only one other notable guy on the planet that makes himself accessible to the public and thats Wishon.

It's funny I would have bet $100 that I'd be reading Tom Wishon's name by the end of your comment 😜

It really is awesome that these guys are so accessible. That plays a big part in why I will always be using their equipment. It's apparent that with each new design batch, they're actually listening to their audience. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

25 minutes ago, theblake7 said:

I posted a screen shot of the full TS1-IM in this thread or the other Maltby thread around 2november,  when golfworks accidentally published the page for a day

I've seen a mock-up somewhere - might very well have been from your post!! It's GORGEOUS. But... Inn having a hard time ignoring the TS3. Like...a REALLY hard time, especially since it looks like it will be available any day. 

7 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

It really is awesome that these guys are so accessible. That plays a big part in why I will always be using their equipment. It's apparent that with each new design batch, they're actually listening to their audience. 

Honestly, it's such an incredible feature, that Britt makes himself available. And his breadth of knowledge is pretty staggering. 

My only hesitation in ordering the TS3 (vs TS1/1m/2) is in coming from a Sim Max, and I'm wondering about mishits and/or lack of forgiveness. I see the MPF for the TS3 is insanely high (780-something), making it less playable than the Sim, but not by a huge amount. 

And seeing as I hit the ZX5 (mark 2) not long ago and loved them, I'm thinking it might be worth a shot?

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Golfworks dont make clubs that dont have forgiveness. They are all easy to hit, IMO equally.

Instead the different models offer variations like COG height,  offsets,  lofts, materials,  appearance and price.  Choose the one that suits you best in those regards.

Remember Monty had a great career playing shovels,  and thats not because he was a hacker and needed help.  Rather his swing suited that style of club better ( i forgot the actual reason why that is so- Dave Edel mentioned it somewhere)

Just ordered a set of the KE4 Max heads to build a set for my dad (GW-6i). He's been playing the STI2 for the past year and has really liked them but I'm hoping these can tie in a little better with his Cleveland Launcher 4 and 5 hy. 

I'll post pics once the build is done. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Got these in today. Building this set for my Dad over the next few days. Will post final pics when done. 

0205232048.jpg.40c4dd7d3cb28bb60ad20ef6e9f04a82.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

In case anyone chomping at the bit for the TS-3s the site is now live https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts3-iron-head/p/ma0340/

Spec sheet is broken at the moment but looks like orders are being accepted.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Finished building my dad's KE4 MAX set last night. Gonna take a couple out for a test drive this morning before I drop them off (🤫)

0207230838.jpg.a849d5f15add79d4db70229f57c251f0.jpg

0207230834b.jpg.901a3c47288ce8d9ebf9042935d38b5d.jpg

0207230842.jpg.b6f6176e4ab1457aae7d9ae0de93f4a7.jpg

0207230838a.jpg.f9f2ac2cb2adf3b5a6dba089ed48aa8a.jpg

0207230841.jpg.555790581b0579f0cb59530fb0a59556.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Finished building my dad's KE4 MAX set last night. Gonna take a couple out for a test drive this morning before I drop them off (🤫)

0207230838.jpg.a849d5f15add79d4db70229f57c251f0.jpg

0207230834b.jpg.901a3c47288ce8d9ebf9042935d38b5d.jpg

0207230842.jpg.b6f6176e4ab1457aae7d9ae0de93f4a7.jpg

0207230838a.jpg.f9f2ac2cb2adf3b5a6dba089ed48aa8a.jpg

0207230841.jpg.555790581b0579f0cb59530fb0a59556.jpg

Not usually one to quote myself, but these clubs are so nice! The Maltby mpf shaft is really smooth and stable. These are regular Flex and even hold their composure with a much faster swing. The clubs even though they're cast almost feel like a forged iron. I'm completely blown away by the craftsmanship, playability, and performance. I can't wait to see how these workout for my dad.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

An old toe weighted Maltby design RM880 blade as I recall, thin top line, been laying around in the barn for so long I almost forgot about them.  Never got around to building them out, shown are irons 1, 3, 4, 5,.....thru 9.   Also, the weight port was just the right size to epoxy a dime instead of their silly little plastic Golfworks emblem they had at the time. 

RM.png.2d55d25f2655f27bfd866a54bf467a18.png

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

On 2/7/2023 at 7:23 AM, pozzit said:

In case anyone chomping at the bit for the TS-3s the site is now live https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts3-iron-head/p/ma0340/

Spec sheet is broken at the moment but looks like orders are being accepted.

Jesus cripes. I want these bad. I've been lucky the wifi on vakay is so crappy (and that their custom shop isn't working), otherwise I'd have a 6 and 9-iron being shipped to test out. 

Those MPF numbers are absolutely ridiculous. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Early impression on the TS3. The best feel of any Maltby head ever. Just so smooth through the ball. Gets up quickly and has beautiful flight. 

The understated looks are gorgeous. Satin finsh is very subdued. The cavity has a really nice progression. Love the looks. 

Hit a half dozen shots today and was truly impressed in horrible conditions. 

For a ball to feel this good in 45° temps is ridiculous. 

Photos are comparison of the TS1 TS3 and the KE4 Max. 

20230208_155917.jpg

20230208_155759.jpg

20230208_115050.jpg

20230208_115055.jpg

20230208_155958.jpg

20230208_160204.jpg

7 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Early impression on the TS3. The best feel of any Maltby head ever. Just so smooth through the ball. Gets up quickly and has beautiful flight. 

The understated looks are gorgeous. Satin finsh is very subdued. The cavity has a really nice progression. Love the looks. 

20230208_155917.jpg

20230208_155759.jpg

20230208_115050.jpg

20230208_115055.jpg

20230208_155958.jpg

20230208_160204.jpg

@Popeye64 I knew if anybody had an early chance to get their mitts on these it would be you!

So if I'm seeing this correctly, the minor aesthetic diff's between the TS-1 and TS3 are fractionally wider sole, noticeably wider top but not super thick, similar offset, and slightly longer blade? 

After playing a round with my dad's KE4 MAX irons, I'm starting to reevaluate the direction of my next purchase.. 🤔 was thinking TS1 IM or TS4.. but these look really nice and would probably do a better job at tricking me into thinking I'm a decent player.. 😜🤣

MAXFLI  Tour CG

19 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

20230208_155917.jpg

20230208_155759.jpg

20230208_115050.jpg

20230208_115055.jpg

20230208_155958.jpg

20230208_160204.jpg

Appreciate the photos. Would you be able to measure the top line? The back and face look great but the topline is a touch thicker than I prefer... but i likely will throw one in my cart next time I place an order. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

1 hour ago, Nideda24 said:

Just ordered a few TS3 7 irons to test in a few different shaft variations. Excited to see how they compare to my set of TS-1s. 

Fellow Maltby fans - feel free to join a Facebook group created, “Maltby Golfers” to share your setups and talk about what’s new!

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on how these compare. Having played TS-1's for the past 3 years it would be good to hear how these stack up visually and with performance. 

My 2 main concerns with these are the different in top line being a little thicker, and the sole width in the lower irons.. i.e. GW, PW, 9i. Maybe @Popeye64can shed some more light on these details? 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Ok, I’ve dipped my toe in the Maltby waters after reading this post. 

I’ve purchased a KE4 Max 7 iron head and going to install in a Kuro Kage Black Gen 2 (R) shaft to play at 37.5”. Gonna add a black double silver ring 1/2” ferrule and midsize MCC grip in Grey. 
The head looks pretty awesome. Nice deep back cavity, rounded edges. Doesn’t look like a SGI iron. 
I’ll post some pics once I get it built and then hit it and see how it feels and performs. . 

Golfweasel