Jump to content

Show us your Maltby!!!


azstu324

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Got the new wedge in and shafted it up with the Kuro Kage Black shaft that I had in my other TSW 

I'm loving the color and overall appearance of the DRM. Kinda pewter-ish in color. It will be interesting to see if the finish oxidises like the description says it might. 

1014211310a.jpg.7d43cd37bb6951b39fa3383ad3c2c3fa.jpg

Definitely more glare resistant..

1014211311a.jpg.a1a072959872d60fc2b781a510ee2c04.jpg

1014211623a.jpg.a95af339a9df3a88c596e8f8e9bb05d6.jpg

1014211311.jpg.736130a4305d9e530f3e46cb60e97521.jpg

 

1014211310.jpg.7435305a90a9bb350ab0573107a83343.jpg

1014211624a.jpg.b520ae4f707d7b39a032c8a8fc9370f9.jpg

The more muted glare would be great! That's probably my biggest complaint with my TSW's - when the lighting is just right the glare can be pretty intense.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ncwoz said:

The more muted glare would be great! That's probably my biggest complaint with my TSW's - when the lighting is just right the glare can be pretty intense.

That would be my ONLY complaint about them really, and it looks like Maltby took some queues from customer feedback and made the 1 improvement needed. 

Time will tell with the finish and if it ends up oxidizing and if the added durability factor if the DRM will impact the feel in any way. I'm hoping to take it for a spin this weekend

  • Like 1

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 10:25 AM, azstu324 said:

That would be my ONLY complaint about them really, and it looks like Maltby took some queues from customer feedback and made the 1 improvement needed. 

Time will tell with the finish and if it ends up oxidizing and if the added durability factor if the DRM will impact the feel in any way. I'm hoping to take it for a spin this weekend

I find the finish on the DRM to be holding up as delivered. No signs of oxidation. Some signs of slight discoloration but it sort of adds character. I put them away wet and dirty too. Not treating them well shows no adverse effects. 

Feel wise I really can't tell the difference between the two finishes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I find the finish on the DRM to be holding up as delivered. No signs of oxidation. Some signs of slight discoloration but it sort of adds character. I put them away wet and dirty too. Not treating them well shows no adverse effects. 

Feel wise I really can't tell the difference between the two finishes. 

Took the new 56° out for its first real test today. Red Mountain Ranch GC. Skinny fairways and tiny raised greens with a lot of blind corners. Shot the round of my life with a 75. The wedge was superb! So thats what happens when the putter, wedges, irons, AND driver all decide to get along🤔

Been kicking around the idea of adding some weight to the heads of my TSW's since putting in a lighter 80g graphite shaft. I found these tungsten rubber weights and decided to see how the wedge played with an added 4g. They went from really great to magical overnight! Bumped up the SW by 2 pts without really adding much overall weight to the club really made a difference. I also added 12g to my driver and found a whole different level of accuracy and feel. 

1023211221a.jpg.c3e0a450d52bd671910a4c5f62520626.jpg

1023211220a.jpg.77fd632a6633e6cfc721596b29916bb3.jpg

1023210758.jpg.fbc0ecaec2e5aebaf95b36944ef26239.jpg

  • Like 2

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am sorry that I did not respond for a while - lots of stuff going on in my world since mid-August.  Nothing life threatening, just got laid off and trying to find a new job and get acclimated.

 

Someone asked my DBM set is holding up, and someone else responded exactly as i would:  "most noticeable wear was just a slight lightening of the color from a dark graphite to maybe a medium graphite"

 

i love them.  Best $350 spent on golf equipment by me, ever

  • Like 1

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

5 wood: XPC V9

7 wood: Snake Eyes

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

60 degree wedge: Maltby Glider

Putter: XPC V9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eric Elliott said:

I am sorry that I did not respond for a while - lots of stuff going on in my world since mid-August.  Nothing life threatening, just got laid off and trying to find a new job and get acclimated.

 

Someone asked my DBM set is holding up, and someone else responded exactly as i would:  "most noticeable wear was just a slight lightening of the color from a dark graphite to maybe a medium graphite"

 

i love them.  Best $350 spent on golf equipment by me, ever

It's a shame they are moving away from the finish because it makes the head unbendable. Though the DRM finish shows a lot of promise. And remains bendable. 

Plus that iron design has truly proven to be timeless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 10/23/2021 at 11:25 AM, Popeye64 said:

I find the finish on the DRM to be holding up as delivered. No signs of oxidation. Some signs of slight discoloration but it sort of adds character. I put them away wet and dirty too. Not treating them well shows no adverse effects. 

Feel wise I really can't tell the difference between the two finishes. 

In case anybody cared to know, I left my TSW-DRM wedge outside during a 3 day rainstorm. I didn't leave it in the actual rain but it was under our back patio overhang on a table in the much wetter than usual air for a few days. Starting to see some different looking oxidation on the face and a few rust spots show on the hosel.

I really don't know if it has anything to do with the layer of whatever potential protection wearing off on the face but yesterday I was spinning the ball like I've never done before. Short chips just off the green were doing 1 bounce and then coming to a dead stop. Every full to 3/4 length shot, I could visibly see the ball bounce once and then zip backward a good 5-8'. I've NEVER been able to do that here in AZ with a wedge!

 

 

0106221356a.jpg.4983248444b96bafa5ec35de467f9f12.jpg

0106221410.jpg.bf00335f7d1445f118bbbe983a2f84dd.jpg

  • Like 2

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

It's been a hot minute since I posted anything here. Being that I'm the "biological father" of this thread, I guess I feel like I have some kind of responsibility to make sure that it continues to grow, gets some kind of attention, and every now and again gets some food (content). 

I just put in an order for the new Maltby Max 60* wedge coming with the stock TT Score shaft in R flex. For a while, I thought that I didn't really need anything higher than my TSW 56*.. but I've been having some pretty good fun with a Callaway PM Grind 58*/11* that I recently picked up for a back yard practice wedge.. and it's since become my paint brush for anything around the green. The only thing that I wish that it had was just a hair more loft. Now I know that the Calli PM and Maltby MAX are 2 very different wedges as far as bounce, overall shape, and leading edge go but I really like the ability to use the full-face grooves on certain types of finesse shots, and on full shots my miss does tend to be toward the toe so it would be nice to have that as a safety net.. although I don't really plan to use this for full shots. The only thing that I'm slightly concerned about is the bounce on the 60* is pretty low. I do like to effectively use the bounce and open up the face whenever I need to go high so I'm just not sure if this club will have the ability. That's been something that I've loved with the TSW 56*/12* is the ability to lay the face open but with a grind that allows for the club to still stay relatively flush to the ground. 

image.png.b5a156a3ac076c8f8e44ec8ebc35d11f.pngimage.png.5de685bd5a454ffc0bf60e9e9f43b465.png

@Popeye64 maybe you can lend your $.02 as you already have some experience with this wedge..? 🙂  If I've ordered the 60* with 6* of bounce, would I be good having the club bent to 62*, therefore increasing the bounce to 8*? I'm reading that's how that works but don't really know if that's exactly how it would works on this club. Also, I'm still considering changing my order to a 58*/8* and bending to 60*/10* but again, with the sole on this one I'm not sure how effective that would be. 

Cheers!

 

 

  • Like 1

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2022 at 2:02 PM, azstu324 said:

It's been a hot minute since I posted anything here. Being that I'm the "biological father" of this thread, I guess I feel like I have some kind of responsibility to make sure that it continues to grow, gets some kind of attention, and every now and again gets some food (content). 

I just put in an order for the new Maltby Max 60* wedge coming with the stock TT Score shaft in R flex. For a while, I thought that I didn't really need anything higher than my TSW 56*.. but I've been having some pretty good fun with a Callaway PM Grind 58*/11* that I recently picked up for a back yard practice wedge.. and it's since become my paint brush for anything around the green. The only thing that I wish that it had was just a hair more loft. Now I know that the Calli PM and Maltby MAX are 2 very different wedges as far as bounce, overall shape, and leading edge go but I really like the ability to use the full-face grooves on certain types of finesse shots, and on full shots my miss does tend to be toward the toe so it would be nice to have that as a safety net.. although I don't really plan to use this for full shots. The only thing that I'm slightly concerned about is the bounce on the 60* is pretty low. I do like to effectively use the bounce and open up the face whenever I need to go high so I'm just not sure if this club will have the ability. That's been something that I've loved with the TSW 56*/12* is the ability to lay the face open but with a grind that allows for the club to still stay relatively flush to the ground. 

image.png.b5a156a3ac076c8f8e44ec8ebc35d11f.pngimage.png.5de685bd5a454ffc0bf60e9e9f43b465.png

@Popeye64 maybe you can lend your $.02 as you already have some experience with this wedge..? 🙂  If I've ordered the 60* with 6* of bounce, would I be good having the club bent to 62*, therefore increasing the bounce to 8*? I'm reading that's how that works but don't really know if that's exactly how it would works on this club. Also, I'm still considering changing my order to a 58*/8* and bending to 60*/10* but again, with the sole on this one I'm not sure how effective that would be. 

Cheers!

 

 

When it comes to bending wedges or irons for that matter, I am in the leave them alone camp. I'm all for keeping your irons dialed in for lie angle an slightly tweaking a loft to get it in line with the head above and below it if the distance gaps are not quite right. 

But bending wedges to achieve more bounce or to gain some distance to me is way over thinking things. The design of the Max Milled has a constant curve in the rocker sole. It simply glides through the turf. I can't imagine anyone needing more bounce with these. 

A 60° wedge for me is only going about 65yards on a stout 3/4 swing. If I strengthen the loft it might go 67 or 68... to what end. Weakening the club is the same effect. Hardly any change in performance. Then changing the loft to effect bounce and you've altered the design goal of the head. The very long and smooth rocker soles offer a large amount of effective bounce. The TSW sole has a defined V sole that if you don't bury the leading edge in the turf can give you a wedge that's hard to play. If you shallow out a bit it can give you a wedge that get through the grass quite well when that v sole throws the club up and out of the turf. Though a lot of good players feel the TSw can dig into the turf a bit much. They never quite get to the benefit of the V. 

I have my wedges 52, 56, 60. I order the sole width as to how much help I need with each loft. I can get away with the .90 sole for the 52, 56. The 60 needs to be the 1.05. The Max Milled offers a lot of help to a digger like me. Don't dig as much.... TSW. Clip it clean.. MG Tour. I just let the design do its job without obsessing over where the bounce is or tweaking the loft. 

The bounce reading on the Max Milled wedge on the 60 only being 6° isn't telling the whole story of the wedge. The elongated sole provides an effective bounce far greater the 6°. So to me bending to get more bounce is really unnecessary. I'm the last one to tell anyone not to experiment as I build out of the box setups.. but this is something I allow the design engineers to figure out. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2022 at 3:45 AM, Popeye64 said:

When it comes to bending wedges or irons for that matter, I am in the leave them alone camp. I'm all for keeping your irons dialed in for lie angle an slightly tweaking a loft to get it in line with the head above and below it if the distance gaps are not quite right. 

But bending wedges to achieve more bounce or to gain some distance to me is way over thinking things. The design of the Max Milled has a constant curve in the rocker sole. It simply glides through the turf. I can't imagine anyone needing more bounce with these. 

A 60° wedge for me is only going about 65yards on a stout 3/4 swing. If I strengthen the loft it might go 67 or 68... to what end. Weakening the club is the same effect. Hardly any change in performance. Then changing the loft to effect bounce and you've altered the design goal of the head. The very long and smooth rocker soles offer a large amount of effective bounce. The TSW sole has a defined V sole that if you don't bury the leading edge in the turf can give you a wedge that's hard to play. If you shallow out a bit it can give you a wedge that get through the grass quite well when that v sole throws the club up and out of the turf. Though a lot of good players feel the TSw can dig into the turf a bit much. They never quite get to the benefit of the V. 

I have my wedges 52, 56, 60. I order the sole width as to how much help I need with each loft. I can get away with the .90 sole for the 52, 56. The 60 needs to be the 1.05. The Max Milled offers a lot of help to a digger like me. Don't dig as much.... TSW. Clip it clean.. MG Tour. I just let the design do its job without obsessing over where the bounce is or tweaking the loft. 

The bounce reading on the Max Milled wedge on the 60 only being 6° isn't telling the whole story of the wedge. The elongated sole provides an effective bounce far greater the 6°. So to me bending to get more bounce is really unnecessary. I'm the last one to tell anyone not to experiment as I build out of the box setups.. but this is something I allow the design engineers to figure out. 

Thank you sir! I knew that you would step in with some knowledge bombs! I'll just play it as it comes and go from there. Without having a "relief" grind like the TSW's, it probably wouldn't be the best idea to increase the bounce anyway as that might just raise the leading edge ever so slightly. I'm really excited to get this in to try out. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Max Milled looks really cool, I like that it's full faces groves and the weight ports at the back. But the lack of relief in the toe and heel makes me hesitant because I like to manipulate the face open and closed for different shots. I am a little surprised they went with a full face design on a wedge that doesn't really have relief, I would have thought that'd be more helpful when you really open up the face and potentially access high and left on the face.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2022 at 2:06 PM, azstu324 said:

I was spinning the ball like I've never done before.

Rust = Friction => +Spin 🙂  Those Max Milled look really nice.  Not liking the oxidation photos of the DRM and wonder if the Max Milled have the same post machining finish/protection.  Some guys love that "patina look"... not me.

I must admit that the more I read this thread, the more I'm inclined to make a set of Maltby's my first foray into a DIY iron build.  

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

The Max Milled looks really cool, I like that it's full faces groves and the weight ports at the back. But the lack of relief in the toe and heel makes me hesitant because I like to manipulate the face open and closed for different shots. I am a little surprised they went with a full face design on a wedge that doesn't really have relief, I would have thought that'd be more helpful when you really open up the face and potentially access high and left on the face.

These are my exact concerns. but I'm also curious to put Maltby's design expertise to the test.  I've been playing a full-faced high-toe PM grind that I've really fallen in love with. This is my "around the green" club. I'm kind of actually afraid to use it for full shots because all of the different angles and shapes.. but up close, this thing is a precision surgical tool. You can clearly see how PM himself had hand in designing this wedge. As odd as the PM grind might look, everything has a function and purpose that aids in using the wedge in 100 different ways. 

I still don't fully understand how the sole camber and design are going to work with the full-faced grooves but I'm definitely open-minded and trust that Britt and the crew put all of their experience and expertise into this design. 

I'll be posting my thoughts after putting it into play. 

  • Like 1

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Rust = Friction => +Spin 🙂  Those Max Milled look really nice.  Not liking the oxidation photos of the DRM and wonder if the Max Milled have the same post machining finish/protection.  Some guys love that "patina look"... not me.

I must admit that the more I read this thread, the more I'm inclined to make a set of Maltby's my first foray into a DIY iron build.  

So the DRM specifically is meant to oxidize. It's a "raw" finish that Maltby hasn't really done on any other clubs that I know of. I bought the club just out of curiosity and I personally really like the look. The oxidation isn't really rust so much as dark spots.

If Raw isn't your jam, the regular TSW and from the looks of things, the MAX have more of a brushed chrome finish that still look really nice. They aren't glaringly reflective like mirror chrome or nickel can be. I still have my TSW 50° with the standard finish and there's not a lick of discoloration or oxidation.  

once I fell down the club building rabbit hole, my whole world of golf equipment opened way up. It's been a really fun and rewarding hobby as I've been able to source shafts, heads, grips, and then build stuff for myself and friends. I've still got a good bit to learn as well as equipment that I hope to acquire but it's definitely a build as you learn process.

  • Like 1

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...