TESTERS WANTED! ×

2 Putters, 1 bag?

Lately I’ve realized that I’m becoming a putter slut: any pretty new thing that catches my eye has got me thinking about replacing my current gamer. To the point that I’m headed to Club Champion on Saturday for a putter fitting. Last 10 rounds I’ve been switching back and forth between  my Ping karsten TR anser and a TaylorMade mezza monza mallet. Problem is, I like them both! I love my blade for long putts with or without break, and my mallet for all those 4-8 foot straight putts that drive me insane to miss. Each putters strength is the others weakness for me, and a wild thought occurred to me: 

why not carry both?

i could bench a once a round club like a 5 or 9 iron, and game 2 different putters, taking advantage of both their strengths! I’m curious what the forum thinks...

*For the record my putts per hole has remained static at 1.9 putts per over the last 140+ rounds. But my perception is that I’ve gotten worse..

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

36 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Lately I’ve realized that I’m becoming a putter slut: any pretty new thing that catches my eye has got me thinking about replacing my current gamer. To the point that I’m headed to Club Champion on Saturday for a putter fitting. Last 10 rounds I’ve been switching back and forth between  my Ping karsten TR anser and a TaylorMade mezza monza mallet. Problem is, I like them both! I love my blade for long putts with or without break, and my mallet for all those 4-8 foot straight putts that drive me insane to miss. Each putters strength is the others weakness for me, and a wild thought occurred to me: 

why not carry both?

i could bench a once a round club like a 5 or 9 iron, and game 2 different putters, taking advantage of both their strengths! I’m curious what the forum thinks...

*For the record my putts per hole has remained static at 1.9 putts per over the last 140+ rounds. But my perception is that I’ve gotten worse..

What are the strengths and weaknesses of both? One better for long one better for short? Or left to right etc.?

if you can do it without hurting another part of the game I don’t see why not. But it opens up mental questions that aren’t usually good on the course. 

I wouldn’t put too much stock in putts per and your ability to putt. Putts per doesn’t take into account where you are putting from for example. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

20 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

What are the strengths and weaknesses of both? One better for long one better for short? Or left to right etc.?

Ping Karsten anser is great for long or breaking putts, and I like my TaylorMade mallet for straight putts that must be started on-line.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

If you are out there just practicing, bring both. But I would test out your Taylormade on long putts and vice versa. If you play in a tourney or league play at your local golf course, I’d go with the hot putter because you might need that one iron for a shot to put you close to the pin. That’s just my preference, keep trying out both putters At varying lengths, but if you come up on a tourney, go with the hot hand. Like others said above, you can always switch out for the next tourney if you were not pleased.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Something has to come out to add another putter. Do you have a club in your bag you rarely use if at all? It would suck to reach for your XXX club only to realize you replaced it with a second string putter. However, if there is already dead weight in your bag then why not slide another flat stick in the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

• 4 weeks later...

I quite often carry two putters when we play Waterford Valley. I only carry 3 wedges so I have room.

The reason is that for long putts 15+M I find that I have better distance control with the Callaway Warbird that the La Jolla.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I have played with two putters in bag in the past. Basically I looked at the score card of the course I would be playing and based on yardage, etc would determine if there were any clubs I would not need. For example if it was a short course I might ditch one of the longer clubs. I have played courses with no sand traps, maybe grass bunkers so one of the wedges would go, etc. I cannot recall not being able to take one club from somewhere in my bag to allow for the extra putter. 

What's that saying "jack of all trades is a master of none"?  Not to say you cant master both but they do require different putting strokes.  

I dont think it's good to compare pros to amateurs but I think it's good to look at some of the concepts pros work with.  For example, I havent seen pros carry two putters in their bag because I dont think they can choose which club to remove.  I'm assuming itll most likely be a wedge but dont think that's a good idea.  Losing a club to have two putters means you have to be able to make up for that club plus learn to use two different putter styles.

I guess if you're a driver ->8-pw -> putter, then you wont need that 52° or 60°.

Honestly, if you score better with a mallet from 10 ft and in, it sounds like you should use the mallet putter and get used to distance putting.  For the most part you're trying to get the ball close to the hole for a two putt when putting from distance.  The loss of a club for two putters seems like a steeper price to pay than time spent practicing long putts.  

I say do it!

Try your theory out and use your putter that suits the read. Leave out a club you hardly use, or one you can compensate but not swinging as hard or swinging harder. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, Micah T said:

why not carry both?

I wouldn't personally carry both because I think it would be overly cumbersome to walk up to every green with two putters, set one down off the green, make the putt, miss and go pick up the other putter to make the different length putt. 

I think I would lose one of them quickly. 

Now for you, it can't hurt to try it. If you compete at all where you have a 14 club limit then would adding a second Putter save you more strokes than the club you give up?

That is for you to decide. 

I would say to pick one and practice the shot with it that needs improvement.  Personally, I would pick the mallet since it seems to be better for less than 8 footers, and then practice speed control from long range.  You don't say what the issue is with the blade from short range, but you are doing something with it that the mallet helps mitigate.  Fixing that would seem to be more difficult than fixing long distance speed control, but it may be worth finding out what that issue is.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I had the same problem .. I loved my old TM Ghost blade putter but felt like after 8 years or so it was time to try out a mallet putter .. I bought the TM ardmore putter and I really like it from anywhere within 10 feet I feel like i can control the putt and knock it in ... but for those long putts I just can't get the right distances. With the old TM Ghost blade putter I could putt a 20 plus footer with in like 5 inch tap in but for the 10 footers or closer i could get them close but wasn't making them as much. Now I am using the Mallet Ardmore and just start practicing the long putts and I feel like I am starting to get the distances for them. I played 9 last night and had about 20 footer or so and missed the putt but put it within a tap in for Par with the Ardmore. For me I think it was more of getting used to the mallet since I used the blade for 8 years. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

If you have 2 putters, you really don't have a putter

Exactly: after going back and forth for a few rounds, I decided to get fitted at club champion and bought a TM Juno Patina. Still getting used to how soft the insert is on lag putts, but I feel like everything is makeable now, and confidence goes a long way on the golf course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9