TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone get fitted for a ball?

I have finally come to the point where i am going to play the same ball over and over so I can trust consistency. I was considering getting fit for a ball, but I fear the quality of that experience. The local golf shop 2nd Swing here in Minneapolis offers this as a service, but am I better off just playing balls that I really like? What are the odds they actually fit me one that is better?

I have a bunch of Pro v1 balls from birthday gifts but recently tried out the Srixon Q Star Tour and Loved it! Super far and tight off the tee and just enough check up on my approach shots. Has anyone gotten fit and enjoyed it? Or am I better just to play with a ball I know I like and go from there? 

Thanks guys!

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

I have been fit by Titleist for a ball, it resulted in me switching from the V1 to VX.   I had always assummed--wrongly as I found out--that I didn't have a high enough swing speed for the V1x.  But based on the LM numbers and the performance around the green, it was clearly better for me. 

The only issue with most ball fittings, is they are going to be done by a single manufacturer so you'll be choosing from their lineup.  Which is fine for me, as I'm a Titleist loyalist for the most part, but I don't know of anywhere that you could go and get fully fit by comparing Titleist, Bridgestone and say Srixon.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’ve done the in person fitting with bridgestone several times when they used to do them. They only told driver swing and then based ball around those numbers, similar to what they do with the vfit.

I believe TM and Titleist fitting have shots hit with wedges, iron and driver. 

Getting fit for a golf ball is a good thing and as if not more important than the club fittings

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I wouldn't worry about it. You play several balls already... those are quality balls. Like I've said a hundred times, I can play my best or worst golf with several top quality urethane balls. Just use a good quality ball you like and go on about you game. I've never played a round scoring well or poorly and said, "if I'd only played X". It's never been about the ball I played as I play top quality balls anyway. Just like you.

It's always been about me and how I performed on a given day. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

20 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Getting fit for a golf ball is a good thing and as if not more important than the club fittings

Yep, the Titleist ball fitting we had at our course last year or the year before, was just that.  You hit the brand new ProV's and ProvX's with the three clubs you mentioned, on Trackman, and the break it down for you.   

Now, the tough part was having to pick all those Prov's off the range and return them to them, we thought we'd get to keep them 🙂

If you can get fitted, you should because it will teach you things you might not have known about your swing!

The way I choose my gamer is green back to tee. I like to choose a few that respond the way I like on the short game shots, so they release a predictable amount. I’m ok sacrificing a few yards off the tee if the ball responds nicely around the green. If I have a few that I like, I keep moving further back until one stands out in the way it flies. I like a ball that flies a bit flatter but can still hold greens. 

Currently I game the Z Star, but as @PlaidJacket pointed out, most of the premium balls are very similar these days. I’ll still use ProV, TP5, or similar when I get them as gifts. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

52 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep, the Titleist ball fitting we had at our course last year or the year before, was just that.  You hit the brand new ProV's and ProvX's with the three clubs you mentioned, on Trackman, and the break it down for you.   

Now, the tough part was having to pick all those Prov's off the range and return them to them, we thought we'd get to keep them 🙂

It’s why TM uses a net 😁

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s why TM uses a net 😁

Yep, but as you know, it's always nice to see the entire flight of the ball, especially if it's windy to see how it handles it. 

13 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep, but as you know, it's always nice to see the entire flight of the ball, especially if it's windy to see how it handles it. 

For sure. TM good for course staff, Titleist god for the consumer 😜

41 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

For sure. TM good for course staff, Titleist god for the consumer 😜

LOL, that's one way to put it.  But I must say the Reps that were at our demo day for TM last year were top quality and did a great job on both the club and ball fittings.  We sold alot of TM that day! 

It's a shame, we had a whole week of demo days lined up two weeks, pretty much every company and the weather was beautiful every day that week, but had to cancel them all due to the course being closed.  

A few have said they are ready to start scheduling again, but it'll probably be a bit different than it has been in the past. 

I've been by Bridgestone. It was interesting yet pretty straight forward. Just a few driver swings on a launch monitor. They recommened the Tour B330 at the time, so I guess that's the BX now? Either way a firmer, lower spinning ball is what was recommended.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I did the VFIT earlier in the year and it came back as Tour BR. I sent in the same exact video last week for their get a sleeve of the balls you're fitted for. This time it was the E12. So I'm not sure how reliable that is. Bummed I wanted to give the new Tour B series a try. Guess I'll wait until find one.

20 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

LOL, that's one way to put it.  But I must say the Reps that were at our demo day for TM last year were top quality and did a great job on both the club and ball fittings.  We sold alot of TM that day! 

It's a shame, we had a whole week of demo days lined up two weeks, pretty much every company and the weather was beautiful every day that week, but had to cancel them all due to the course being closed.  

A few have said they are ready to start scheduling again, but it'll probably be a bit different than it has been in the past. 

Taylormade sent out an email about their procedures yesterday or day before. Definitely going to be a little different.

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Taylormade sent out an email about their procedures yesterday or day before. Definitely going to be a little different.

Yep, probably the same one we got at the course I'm sure. 

I'm curious about this topic.  I've typically always played whatever $20/dozen ball I could find, TaylorMade, Nike, etc.  I've recently started the quest to find the perfect ball for me.  The two I've found myself playing best are the ProV1 and surprisingly the Callaway ERC Soft.

Cobra Speedzone 9.0*, Graphite Design Tour AD-MT 6x shaft

Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* 3 wood, Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 7x shaft

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95x Hybrid shaft

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 iron, KBS $-Taper 120 shaft

Srixon Z565 4 iron, Srizon Z765 5 iron - PW,KBS C-Taper 120 shaft

Callaway MD5 Jaws 50*/10 S grind

Callaway Jaws Full Toe 56*

Scotty Cameron Futura 5w

Srixon Z-Star XV balls

I did it a few years back and a local golf store that was just starting to do it. I hit a variety of golf balls with Irons and woods. They put me on a trackman so you could see spin etc. What was missing to me was the around the green side of the equation. 

I have only been ball fitted once. It was like 10 years ago by Bridgestone. It was not super thorough and it used some proprietary launch monitor system. 

it was still interesting and I got a sleeve of the then new b330 ball. I have been a Bridgestone fan ever since.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Ok, so far it seems that the folks who have been able to get fitted have manufacturers come to their courses? I dont belong to a course (or play courses that get visits from ball companies) so for now I will just have to stick with one that I know works until it becomes more popular. 

thanks!

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

1 hour ago, RyanJohnson_Official said:

Ok, so far it seems that the folks who have been able to get fitted have manufacturers come to their courses? I dont belong to a course (or play courses that get visits from ball companies) so for now I will just have to stick with one that I know works until it becomes more popular. 

thanks!

You don't have to be a member of the club to attend demo day events (generally).  Some higher end private courses probably not, but many other clubs, including public courses hold demo day events.  Keep an eye out for them.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I was looking to get a full bag fitting with Club Champion when things open up in NJ.  I look forward to the ball that I should be playing.  I have noticed I spin the ball a little too much.  
I don’t know if anyone watches TXG on YouTube, but they have a great video with grip size and what the differences are.  One thing I didn’t realize is how bigger (midsize) grips can present a higher loft and higher spin at impact.  It can help slow hand rotation and help to leave the club face open.  I believe a full bag fitting, including grips and ball, are really the best for anyone.  I know many places offer free fitting with a purchase!!!

On 5/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, Cg1614 said:

I was looking to get a full bag fitting with Club Champion when things open up in NJ.  I look forward to the ball that I should be playing.  I have noticed I spin the ball a little too much.  
I don’t know if anyone watches TXG on YouTube, but they have a great video with grip size and what the differences are.  One thing I didn’t realize is how bigger (midsize) grips can present a higher loft and higher spin at impact.  It can help slow hand rotation and help to leave the club face open.  I believe a full bag fitting, including grips and ball, are really the best for anyone.  I know many places offer free fitting with a purchase!!!

I play midsize grips. Can't say I've ever heard of a place doing a complete fitting that includes grips!

PgaTour superstore will do one for free: you pick the balls you wanna try, and they show your dispersion/stats. I did one 2 years ago and was fit into chrome softs.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I really think that the golf ball has much more importance than many golfer think.

just look at tour pros.

for me the ball that fits me is something that has not too much spin off the driver and a firm feeling. 
I own a skytrak so I use it for ball fitting and right now the Snell MTB Black and Srixon Q-Star tour are the ones that suit me.

big fan of ball fitting!

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, SteveG said:

I play midsize grips. Can't say I've ever heard of a place doing a complete fitting that includes grips!

I have not heard of it either, but I never really thought of grips more than for preference of feel.  I didn’t realize it could have effects like that.  I believe more testing is necessary to confirm results with other players.  

I’ve done the in person fitting with bridgestone several times when they used to do them. They only told driver swing and then based ball around those numbers, similar to what they do with the vfit.

I’ve also done the Bridgestone fitting; was lucky enough to be able to do it AT Bridgestone’s facility in Covington, GA. It is based on driver swings, but they do have a pretty detailed Q&A with you regarding what you’re playing now, and what your preferences are in a ball. (Distance, green side spin, etc etc) It’s not an hour on a Trackman, but it’s better than picking at random for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member