Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Upside down Cup vs Sponge??? How to manage it?

Which do you prefer  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• Upside down Cup
    • Sponge in bottom of Hole

Our cups were upside down - now they're proper depth but there's a piece of 1-1/2 PCC pipe in the hole. The ball will fall in the cup to the approximate depth you have in the photos. As long as my ball falls in the hole it doesn't matter what's there

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have played upside down cups, pool noodles, and pvc. My preference is the upside down cups. PVC tends to have rough edges and pool noodles just get nasty

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

We have pool noodles and they're above the lip so your ball hits them and bounces off? I don't care for it and would prefer them to be cut below the lip of the hole. Some just count it as holed if it hits the noodle. I count it as long as the speed is reasonable and it hits it relatively solid.

I still like to see the ball drop and not pop out. The courses that have the upside down cup that I have played all are barely under the lip of the cup. Sometimes I don’t know if I’ve lipped out or it hit the bottom and bounced out. I prefer the PVC/noodle as all the courses that I have played are significantly lower than the lip of the cup and I know for sure when the ball goes in the hole.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

We have the pool noodle set about like indoor photo.  I don't care for them, but it's what we live with for awhile I guess.  They have cost me a few putts and a slam dunk from going in.  I have never played with an inverted cup so can't comment, but I imagine it is similar.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I still like to see the ball drop and not pop out. The courses that have the upside down cup that I have played all are barely under the lip of the cup. Sometimes I don’t know if I’ve lipped out or it hit the bottom and bounced out. I prefer the PVC/noodle as all the courses that I have played are significantly lower than the lip of the cup and I know for sure when the ball goes in the hole.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Courses here are using the pool noodle and the ball drops like those in the pic. Works well for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

We have been using the upside down cups at my club. I have played the noodles at other courses and they tend to cause the ball to bounce out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have played at several courses with the cups raised above the ground. Anything that hits them is a make.....which is a little silly but I have gotten much more aggressive with short putts. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I don't care for any setup that does not allow the ball to go into the hole.  Bouncing it off the cup or plastic or whatever doesn't hole the ball. I don't understand why we can't just have normal cups and remove the ball by grasping it with two fingers and not touching anything but the ball --- but I'm also just glad we're able to play golf, even if some of the added precautions make it seem odd.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

4 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I don't care for any setup that does not allow the ball to go into the hole.  Bouncing it off the cup or plastic or whatever doesn't hole the ball. I don't understand why we can't just have normal cups and remove the ball by grasping it with two fingers and not touching anything but the ball --- but I'm also just glad we're able to play golf, even if some of the added precautions make it seem odd.

I hear you loud and clear.....I am just glad golf courses have been opened back up. Totally saving my sanity!!!!

I have also thought that filling the cups with liquid hand sanitizer would solve this problem as well.  😜

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

To me it seems that the most important thing is that whatever they do....they must allow enough room for the ball to drop a little. 

I've played more rounds with the sponge....and they seem inconsistent.  Some are set too high.  I think I prefer the upside down cub...but it must be set low enough. 

Quit worrying about it and be happy we can even golf with the world burning down around us.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Currently courses around here are using the pool noodle method.  I die the ball into the hole when I putt so it doesn't really have any effect on my game.

My first round of the year, they had a piece of PVC sticking out of the ground without a flag, and that wasn't real golf.  Just hammering a putt into the tube and watching it bounce off.

All that being said, I'm just happy to be able to play.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

My regular club is going with upside down cups, I haven't experienced pool noodles or PVC spacers. I can believe they would get nasty dirty in time, harder to maintain. Now that we're not removing pins, I like upside down cups so much I hope they'll keep doing that permanently, but I don't expect that will really happen. It's much easier to fish the ball out, and I have yet to see a putt miss due to a shallow cup.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 2 weeks later...

During this time of pandemic, I have played courses with both the "pool noodle" and the upside-down cup options.  I really don't like either, as they appear to affect putts either adversely or occasionally positively (keeping a ball in the hole that should have lipped out).   Of the two, the upside down cup option seems to be the more consistent option as it allows a more uniform depth of cup option.  

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash, Fujikura Pro 2.0 stiff

3 wood:  Callaway Epic Flash

7 wood: Titelist TSi2, Kurocage 55 reg

Irons:  5 iron -PW PXG 0211, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff

50 degree wedges:  Callaway JAWS Chrome

56 & 60 degree wedge:  Callaway JAWS Gray, Full Face

Putter:  TaylorMade 

•  

Update:  I recently played a course with standard cup placement and a short piece of 1 & 1/2" pvc pipe at the bottom of the cup.  I think this is my favorite adaptation so far.  PVC piece was short enough to allow room in the cup and I did not see any putts affected (positively or negatively) during play.  Would have been a great day if I wouldn't have had a poor putting day!

Fairways and greens MyGolfSpy friends!

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash, Fujikura Pro 2.0 stiff

3 wood:  Callaway Epic Flash

7 wood: Titelist TSi2, Kurocage 55 reg

Irons:  5 iron -PW PXG 0211, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff

50 degree wedges:  Callaway JAWS Chrome

56 & 60 degree wedge:  Callaway JAWS Gray, Full Face

Putter:  TaylorMade 

•